PDA

View Full Version : Spurs Games in HiDef on KENS

Kori Ellis
10-30-2006, 02:30 PM
SPURS GAMES IN HDTV ON KENS 5 TV HD CHANNELS PRESENTED BY AT&T BEGIN ON NOVEMBER 3RD HOME OPENER GAME AGAINST THE CAVALIERS

SAN ANTONIO, October 30, 2006 - In a joint statement, KENS 5 TV and the San Antonio Spurs have announced today that all upcoming season of games on KENS-TV (CBS) will be broadcast live in high definition (HDTV) beginning with the home opener when the Spurs host LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers on Friday, November 3 at 7:00 p.m. (CST) at the AT&T Center.

This is the first locally produced show airing on KENS-TV during the Spurs season. All Spurs broadcasts in high definition are being presented by AT&T. HDTV viewers can watch the games on local KENS-TV HD Channels.

"We are thrilled to offer high-definition games to Spurs fans," said Brooks McCorcle, AT&T vice president and general manager for San Antonio. "This will be a key part of our lineup for our AT&T U-verse TV service as we roll out our HD channels in late November in San Antonio."

"We are very excited to have the Spurs games broadcast to our viewers in high definition," remarked Bob McGann, president and general manager for KENS 5 TV. "The widescreen format will be an excellent benefit for Spurs fans."

The video is being originated in a 1080i format with Dolby 5.1 Surround Sound. The widescreen format and finer clarity and sound of the HDTV broadcast will give Spurs fans a viewing experience that is close to being in person at the game. With a wider view of the court, fans can follow every move of their favorite players and watch the plays as they develop.

MannyIsGod
10-30-2006, 02:33 PM
Nice

SenorSpur
10-30-2006, 02:52 PM
Anyone know if the NBA League Pass telecasts will ever be broadcast in HD?

BrianBird
10-30-2006, 02:53 PM
My recent 57in HDTV purchase just became an intelligent purchase

BrianBird
10-30-2006, 02:56 PM
Anyone know if the NBA League Pass telecasts will ever be broadcast in HD?

I work for a cable provider in San Marcos and as I understand it, LP does now offer games in high def. Now for the bad news... I believe it will only be 1 game per week, or at most 1 game per night. There is only 1 HD LP channel on my line-up at home. Hopefully though they are working towards expanding their HD programming.

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-30-2006, 03:50 PM
Hell. Yes.

baseline bum
10-30-2006, 06:11 PM
1080i? Nice. Most HD channels only broadcast in 720p.

YoMamaIsCallin
10-30-2006, 06:42 PM
1080i? Nice. Most HD channels only broadcast in 720p.

As a rule, ABC and Fox broadcast in 720p, and CBS and NBC in 1080i. All of the cable/satellite national channels are 1080i except for ESPN which is 720p. KENS, being a CBS affiliate, does broadcast in 1080i, I would assume.

Many experts believe 720p is superior to 1080i for sporting events, because its frame rate is twice as high, thus capturing motion more smoothly. However, 1080i does have more pixels, so it's considered better for movies, where it can reproduce subtle detail better than 720p.

Of course, the dipshit ABC affiliate here in Austin upconverts their beautiful 720p video downlinked from the ABC satellite to 1080i before broadcasting it, thus making it the worst of both worlds. Thanks, KVUE!

satexan77
10-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Well NBC's HD sucks for sports I dont know if its the local station or what. But the Spurs in HD 1080i no less is very very nice. Since I lost FSWHD when I switched to DTV I figured only a handful of games in HD but now to have many more is very nice.

MannyIsGod
10-31-2006, 05:29 AM
It doesn't really matter unless you have a TV larger than 50 inches because thats when you actually start to see the difference 1080p provides.

Dingle Barry
10-31-2006, 05:54 AM
ED means enhanced definition jackass

Dro210
10-31-2006, 06:17 AM
This is the best news I could have gotten... I hated not gettin those NBATV games in HD last year because of the blackout.

Finally a non-TNT Spurs game in HD.

baseline bum
10-31-2006, 07:04 AM
It doesn't really matter unless you have a TV larger than 50 inches because thats when you actually start to see the difference 1080p provides.

You don't need a 50" screen to see the difference between 30 and 60 frames per second.

baseline bum
10-31-2006, 07:14 AM
Many experts believe 720p is superior to 1080i for sporting events, because its frame rate is twice as high, thus capturing motion more smoothly. However, 1080i does have more pixels, so it's considered better for movies, where it can reproduce subtle detail better than 720p.

True... movies are shot at 24 fps anyways, so 720p should be far inferior to 1080i for them.

YoMamaIsCallin
10-31-2006, 08:46 AM
True... movies are shot at 24 fps anyways, so 720p should be far inferior to 1080i for them.

Many people can't tell the difference, it's not "far inferior", but if you are being picky, you will notice. The vast difference is between NTSC 480i and any HD format, if they've done the film-to-HD conversion at all decently, and if the various carriers haven't compressed the crap out of it.

Often, though, they just broadcast the DVD version of the movie (which is 480p resolution) and upconvert it to 720p or 1080i. It still looks pretty good, about as good as the DVD would look on your TV if you run your DVD player in progressive scan mode and connect it with component cables or HDMI.

my2sons
10-31-2006, 09:12 AM
now for the bad news...our flagship station telecasts, what three games per year...

shaqh8ter
10-31-2006, 10:46 AM
Any word on what channel in Austin Spurs/Cavs game will be shown?

shaqh8ter
10-31-2006, 11:08 AM
Kens Sucks Cause They Didn't Air The Titan/texan Game>>>>>>>>fuck Kens.

Off topic:

BTW Buck, you have Flash Gordon image for your Buck Rogers Icon
http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/pages/movie/HU/Previews/Plans-20993.jpg http://www.americanphoto.co.jp/pages/movie/HU/Previews/Plans-20997.jpg

This is Buck Rodgers...

http://images.art.com/images/products/regular/10103000/10103053.jpg http://www.gamerevolution.com/oldsite/games/xbox/action/airforce_delta_storm_buck.jpg http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/c/c0/MarvinVSDaffy.jpg/320px-MarvinVSDaffy.jpg

YoMamaIsCallin
10-31-2006, 01:37 PM
Any word on what channel in Austin Spurs/Cavs game will be shown?

it's on ESPN, pls check the schedule before posting next time

Louis2
10-31-2006, 11:47 PM
Ok ok ok...what national television network dropped Spurs games?

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-01-2006, 01:11 AM
Many experts believe 720p is superior to 1080i for sporting events, because its frame rate is twice as high, thus capturing motion more smoothly.

Um, not sure where you read that one at. The CBS 1080i broadcasts of the SEC on Saturdays >>>>>>>>>>>> ABC's 720p broadcasts.

At any rate, I'm jealous of this news....

YoMamaIsCallin
11-01-2006, 08:37 AM
Um, not sure where you read that one at. The CBS 1080i broadcasts of the SEC on Saturdays >>>>>>>>>>>> ABC's 720p broadcasts.

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

The main tradeoff between the two is that 1080i may show more detail than 720p for a stationary shot of a subject at the expense of a lower effective refresh rate and the introduction of interlace artifacts during motion. 720p is used by ABC and ESPN because the smoother image is desirable for fast-action sports telecasts. Fox Broadcasting Company uses the tagline "the nation's finest high-definition standard" in advertising its 720p programming.

Obviously this is based on "all other things being equal". I would imagine something else somewhere in the broadcast stream is causing the effects you see.

Slomo
11-01-2006, 09:05 AM
from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/720p

Obviously this is based on "all other things being equal". I would imagine something else somewhere in the broadcast stream is causing the effects you see.Although 720p has a greater temporal resolution (more detail over time) it's a pretty technical and BS argument. Perceptually people will always chose the 1080i pictures specially since one of it's main shortcoming - the blur between fields (1/2 of a frame) - is perceived by the human eye/mind as more natural. While the "chopy" action of the 720p pictures looks to us as artificial.

I have seen as many charts/tests/experiment and engineering reports proving that 720p is better than I have seen of those proving the opposite. But in all honesty 720p is a small improvement in terms of resolution over the 480i broadcasts or 480p DVDs.

The main reason why certain broadcasters use(d) 720p over 1080i is as always purely commercial. When the US started its transition into HD, because of the FCC abolishing analogue transmissions in certain bands (VHF being the first I believe) there was only one manufacturer of 1080 capable production equipment: Sony (quite often the so hated Sony proprietary standards are the result of them being a pioneer in the technology), who had experience in equipping Japanese TV in HD for more than a decade (although Japan switched to digital HD only recently, they had partial analogue HD coverage for years).

While some corporation were happy about that fact since they had a long standing relationship with Sony (NBC), others had the same kind of deal with other manufacturer who were believers in the 720p format (or more to the point were incapable to deliver anything with a higher definition).

In those days the "HD" technologies were so far apart that you couldn't display them all on the same TV set. Now we slowly see a convergence into 1080 (yes some have to transcode into it) because of the public's perception as this being the "nicest" picture, also opposition to 1080i has subdued since everybody is now catching up technically to this standard - btw Direct TVs decision to offer a single HD format 1080i (and transcode everything into it) was a major victory for 1080i.

Of course the next step will be 1080p transmission, but it's not that close because of the bandwidth limitations and lack of agreement on the tech standards. Of course migrating to 1080p from 1080i is a very logical and easy step for the consumer - another reason for the newly found popularity of 1080i.