PDA

View Full Version : Ours is a Conservative Country

101A
10-30-2006, 03:03 PM
Poll: Majority believes government doing too much (http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/10/27/poll.government/index.html)

WASHINGTON (CNN) -- A quarter century after the Reagan revolution and a dozen years after Republicans vaulted into control of Congress, a new CNN poll finds most Americans still agree with the bedrock conservative premise that, as the Gipper put it, "government is not the answer to our problems -- government is the problem."

The poll released Friday also showed that an overwhelming majority of Americans perceive, correctly, that the size and cost of government have gone up in the past four years, when Republicans have had a grip on the House of Representatives, the Senate and the White House.

Discretionary spending grew from $649 billion in fiscal year 2001 to $968 billion in fiscal year 2005, an increase of $319 billion, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

Queried about their views on the role of government, 54 percent of the 1,013 adults polled said they thought it was trying to do too many things that should be left to individuals and businesses. Only 37 percent said they thought the government should do more to solve the country's problems.

Americans had a slightly different perspective when it came to the specific issue of promoting traditional values. A slight majority -- 51 percent -- said they thought that was an appropriate activity for government, while 43 percent said it should not favor any particular set of values.

The sampling error for the questions in the poll, conducted for CNN by Opinion Research Corporation, was plus or minus 3 percentage points.

When asked if the size of the federal government has increased in the past four years, 72 percent said it had, and 86 percent said they thought federal spending had gone up during the same period. Those questions have a sampling error of plus or minus 4.5 percent.

In recent months, a growing number of conservatives have been complaining out loud about increases in the scope and cost of government, despite the GOP's grip on all the levers of power. (Read Jeff Greenfield's analysis of where the right went wrong)

"I believe that as a movement, we have veered off course into the dangerous and uncharted waters of big government Republicanism," said Rep. Mike Pence, R-Indiana, chairman of the House Republican Study Committee, a 110-member caucus that supports limited government and lower taxes.

"Conservatives came to office to reduce the size of government and enlarge the sphere of free and private initiative," said Sen. John McCain, R-Arizona. "But lately, we have increased government in order to stay in office."

PixelPusher
10-30-2006, 03:11 PM
The poll released Friday also showed that an overwhelming majority of Americans perceive, correctly, that the size and cost of government have gone up in the past four years, when Republicans have had a grip on the House of Representatives, the Senate and the White House.

Count me in with those say "yes"...but that doesn't make me a conservative. Key phrases often missing when describing "big government" is "inefficient" and "irresponsible". Those are more problematic than the relative "size" of the government.

101A
10-30-2006, 03:15 PM
Queried about their views on the role of government, 54 percent of the 1,013 adults polled said they thought it was trying to do too many things that should be left to individuals and businesses.

That, IMO, is the unambiguous quote in the piece. It certainly isn't an overwhelming majority, but it is a majority, nonetheless.

PixelPusher
10-30-2006, 03:23 PM
"Queried about their views on the role of government, 54 percent of the 1,013 adults polled said they thought it was trying to do too many things that should be left to individuals and businesses."

That, IMO, is the unambiguous quote in the piece. It certainly isn't an overwhelming majority, but it is a majority, nonetheless.

It remains ambiguous to me until I see a list of what "things" people think should be left to individuals and businesses. I'd bet the percentages vary widely depending upon the issues presented: charities, environmental regs, food and drug regs, health care, those pesky Home Owners Associations, etc.

101A
10-30-2006, 03:50 PM
It remains ambiguous to me until I see a list of what "things" people think should be left to individuals and businesses. I'd bet the percentages vary widely depending upon the issues presented: charities, environmental regs, food and drug regs, health care, those pesky Home Owners Associations, etc.

It would be interesting; and I'd like to see it as well.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-30-2006, 07:52 PM
Pixelpusher, good point. I'd like to see that list too, but I bet that for most people it would include "taxes are too high" and that's about it. It's important to remember that most of what govts try to do is regulate markets (which they are mostly poor at) and plug gaps for people on low incomes.

I think a more crucial point is that we are overgoverned in terms of the 3 levels of government. That is one too many. I think that one level should go - either get rid of the States and beef up local govt., or get rid of local govt. and beef up the States. However, that is not going to happen. We're stuck with the system we have until either the revolution or our self-implosion, so I guess it's a matter of trying to maximise the efficacy of the current system.

As someone who has worked in govt for over 5 years, the greatest problems are INFLEXIBILITY (ie. rule-mongering) and LACK OF COMMUNICATION BETWEEN LEVELS OF GOVT> AND DIFFERENT AGENCIES. Rulemongering I can understand, because equity is important, but the poor communication in govt. is unforgiveable. Many organisations develop an "us vs the rest" culture rather than realising that govts should be one big team helping each other to solve problems. This competition mostly comes about due to the budgeting process, another insoluble conundrum... :depressed

Discretionary spending grew from $649 billion in fiscal year 2001 to $968 billion in fiscal year 2005, an increase of $319 billion, according to the Congressional Budget Office.

How much of that is war spending?

Ocotillo
10-30-2006, 08:47 PM
People have been conditioned to think this way because the political culture says it so often, it is one of those truths that becomes one by simply being repeated. I am guilty myself as I want less government involvement in my life. I don't limit that to economic intrusion where most conservatives seem to start and end. You have to consider privacy issues as well. I don't like the NSA data mining my call patterns for instance.

Thing is, when you ask people what they want to give up, all of a sudden they do want the government doing things. Generally the only thing you could probably get majority support on government cutting would be Congressional pay raises and some of these odd ball studies that get earmarked into bills like studying some animals mating habits or something or other.

I am suspicious of anything big. Big Business can be as threatening if unregulated as anything. Big Labor is not so big anymore, so government is all that is left that can stand up to big business on behalf of the population at large.

boutons_
10-30-2006, 09:42 PM
"government is all that is left that can stand up to big business on behalf of the population at large."

but mega-corps own the US congress, so you know there really is no counter-weight to corporate greed and malice.

I posted an article in another thread today about the dubya's people are working right now with the corps to gut Sarbanes-Oxley, and remove transparency of corporate accounting, remove the right of private lawsuits against corps, meaning only the SEC (business friendly) will be able to sue corps.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-30-2006, 11:10 PM
I posted an article in another thread today about the dubya's people are working right now with the corps to gut Sarbanes-Oxley, and remove transparency of corporate accounting, remove the right of private lawsuits against corps, meaning only the SEC (business friendly) will be able to sue corps.

This is what I was talking about when i said govts don't regulate very well. ideally, regulators is a govt-funded quasi-independent bodies which act as independent arbitrators of regulating legislation, but in reality many regulators are co-opted by the industries they regulate, or hamstrung by weak legislation.

Octillo - you say that things like studying mating habits are silly, but actually such studies are important because they tell you about the health of species. The health of species tells us about the health of ecosystems, and without healthy ecosystems the processes that sustain human life are gone. You've got to see the bigger picture. However, I know what you mean.