PDA

View Full Version : Pacers release........

mcdunk
10-30-2006, 03:29 PM
Edwards and James White. White could be a good future prospect to replace Bowen.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/42999/20061030/pacers_waive_edwards_and_white/

Mr. Body
10-30-2006, 03:30 PM
He'll get nabbed before he gets to us.

He'd be an awesome pick-up, though.

Bruno
10-30-2006, 03:36 PM
:lmao
Pacers have trade 3 second round pick to get white and they cut him 4 months later.

Kori Ellis
10-30-2006, 03:37 PM
Wow. The Spurs worked out James White a few times. Too bad he'll get picked up off waivers before the Spurs can get him.

Mr. Body
10-30-2006, 03:38 PM
Horrible by the Pacers, yeah. They knew they were getting rid of Peja, so they drawn Shawne Williams and James White, already having Danny Granger. Then Rawle Marshall comes in via trade as a shoo-in, apparently outplays White.

But the cost for White was way too high to begin with. Wow.

This means they couldn't even get a single 2nd back for White.

SenorSpur
10-30-2006, 03:40 PM
I guess that means that Rawle Marshall has made the Pacers squad.

mcdunk
10-30-2006, 03:41 PM
White has a guaranteed $412,000 and Indiana had a team option for Marshall for $664,000.

duncan2k5
10-30-2006, 03:42 PM
do it pop

Mr. Body
10-30-2006, 03:45 PM
I guess that means that Rawle Marshall has made the Pacers squad.

They kept Marshall, who was the better player.

White is extremely thin and may have focus issues. He's hugely athletic and has a good defensive mindset. No doubt some team grabs him before the Spurs have a chance.

Bruno
10-30-2006, 03:55 PM
I wonder if Spurs are interested to get him because they could have done a trade for him with the TE from the Rasho trade.

Mr. Body
10-30-2006, 03:58 PM
Bruno - I wd. think so. It looks like they weren't interested.

Spurs Brazil
10-30-2006, 04:12 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/pacers/act_james_white.jpg

Born: Oct 21, 1982
Height: 6-7 / 2,01
Weight: 200 lbs. / 90,7 kg.
College : Cincinnati
Years Pro: R

CAREER AVERAGES
Year Team G GS MPG FG% 3p% FT% OFF DEF RPG APG SPG BPG TO PF PPG
06-07 IND 8 1 17.5 .324 .200 .667 0.3 1.8 2.0 0.9 0.9 0.1 1.25 2.40 3.8

COLLEGE
2005-06: An honorable mention All-Big East selection, he was the Cincinnati Bearcats' leading scorer (16.3 ppg) and reached double-figure points in all but four games...including his freshman season at University of Florida, he topped the 1,000-point mark in career scoring with 1,270 points…he scored 1,088 points during his three seasons as a Bearcat to become the 44th member of UC’s 1,000-point club...he led the team in free throw percentage (.838) and was second in steals (1.2 spg), assists (2.0 apg), blocks (0.8 bpg) and was third in rebounding (5.1 rpg)...he scored a career-high 32 points, the most by a Bearcat in four seasons, in the Big East Tournament loss to Syracuse, 3/8/06…in that game, he made a career-high five 3-pt FGS and shot 9-9 at the foul line...he scored 17 points, including 3--5 from 3-pt range, and had four assists vs. Seton Hall, 2/28/06...he tallied 22 points, making 4-6 3-pt FGS, and hit a 3-pt FG to put UC in the lead with 2:57 to play in the win over Providence, 2/17/06…he also grabbed seven rebounds vs. the Friars...he tallied 23 points vs. North Carolina A&T, 12/30/05, matching a personal best with four steals...he was named to the Las Vegas Holiday Classic all-tournament team after averaging 18.8 ppg, 6.0 rpg, and 1.8 spg in the four wins...he rallied UC from a five-point deficit in the final 2:30 of the win over LSU, 12/23/05, hitting back-to-back 3-pt FGS marks and then a pair of clinching free throws with just 17 seconds remaining...he scored 18 points on 7-9 FGS and had seven rebounds, and three steals in the win over Vanderbilt, 12/10/05, sinking four 3-pt FGS...he scored 21 points in the win over Murray State, 11/19/05, making a steal and dunk in the final seconds of regulation to send the game into overtime.

2004-05: The team leader in assists (3.1 appg), he scored in double digits 19 times...he tallied 15 points and had six rebounds in the NCAA Tournament opening round win over Iowa, 3/17/05...Scored the game-winning basket vs. Memphis, 3/5/05, when he grabbed an offensive rebound and hit a short jumper from the baseline with 16.2 seconds to play…he finished that game with 11 points and tied a career high with 11 rebounds...he tallied 14 points, leading UC’s second-half comeback with 12 points, in the win over UAB (2/19/05)...he played all 40 minutes of the Charlotte game, 2/5/ 05, finishing with 18 points, five rebounds and six assists...he scored 25 points, on 9-12 FGS, and grabbed 10 rebounds in the win over Houston, 1/29/ 05...he tallied 15 points vs. Louisville, 1/15/05, on 4-5 FGS, and also recorded eight rebounds and seven assists, while holding the Cardinals' All-American Francisco Garcia to seven points...he scored 18 points and grabbed eight rebounds in the win over Miami of Ohio, 12/27/04...he scored 10 points, all in the decisive game-clinching scoring run, in the season opening win over Valparaiso, 11/19/09

2003-04: He started the final 21 games of the season and took on a larger share of the ball-handling responsibilities in the final eight contests...the team assists leader (3.6 apg), he averaged 4.8 apg over the final eight games...he dished out seven assists and gathered six rebounds in the NCAA Tournament opening round win over East Tennessee State (3/19/04)...he scored nine points, grabbed eight rebounds and had six assists in the Conference USA semifinal win over St. Louis, 3/12/04...he was named the Conference USA co-Player of the Week after averaging 14.5 ppg, 8.0 apg and 7.0 rpg while shooting 69 percent from the field in a pair of UC wins, 2/23-29. ... He dished out a career-high nine assists at Charlotte, 2/28/04...he scored 23 points and grabbed 11 rebounds in the win over St. Louis (2/25/04)…he also recorded seven assists, three steals and two blocked shots against the Billikens...he made his UC debut in mid-December vs. Middle Tennessee, scoring eight points in 19 minutes of action...he tallied 14 points in the win over Miami, 12/27/03, while also dishing out four assists...he moved into the starting lineup vs. DePaul, 1/ 11/04, replacing the injured Armein Kirkland, and became a fixture...he tallied 12 points, five rebounds and three assists vs. sixth-ranked Louisville, 1/21/ 04...he had 12 points and four rebounds at No. 18 Wake Forest, 2/15/04...in 2004, he lettered for Cincinnati’s Conference USA champion track and field team, qualifying for the NCAA Regionals in the high jump and triple jump.

2002-03:Enrolled at Cincinnati for Winter quarter, following his transfer from the University of Florida, and began practicing with the team.

2001-02: One of the top subs as a freshman at Florida, he helped the Gators to a 22-9 record...he saw action in all but two games, making a pair of starts and averaging 20.5 mpg...he also averaged 6.1 ppg and 2.9 rpg as a freshman for the Gators.

Personal

Full name is James William White IV
Eearned McDonald’s All-American honors as a senior at Hargrave Military Academy in 2000-01
Was ranked among the top three small forward prospects in the country by The Sporting News and was named the Maryland high school Player of the Year as a junior at Newport High School in Kensington, Maryland in 1999-00, after averaging 23.1 ppg, 7.4 rpg and 3.6 apg
Led Newport H.S. to the Maryland state private school championship
Was a sprinter on the track team
Dunked for the first time as a 12-year old and has beaten former UC standout DerMarr Johnson in slam dunk competitions
Has three younger sisters
Earned the nickname Flight 75 due to his leaping ability
Majored in psychology.

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/james_white/bio.html

timvp
10-30-2006, 04:15 PM
:lmao
Pacers have trade 3 second round pick to get white and they cut him 4 months later.

Exactly. I liked White before the draft but this makes me think there has to be something wrong with him. You don't trade away 2006, 2007 and 2008 second round draft picks and then cut the guy before his rookie year.

Mr. Body
10-30-2006, 04:17 PM
Exactly. I liked White before the draft but this makes me think there has to be something wrong with him. You don't trade away 2006, 2007 and 2008 second round draft picks and then cut the guy before his rookie year.

It came down to a roster crunch. It was either him or Rawle Marshall -- Bird wasn't about to let Saras or Baston go. Marshall has been the better player in the preseason and looks more ready to play. They paid a lot to get White, but in the end they looked at the players they have now.

I don't think there's a thing wrong with White. He certainly didn't blow up in preseason and remains a project, but if Indiana could have kept him, they would have.

infinite styles
10-30-2006, 04:30 PM
Man I was begging for the Spurs to draft him on draft night. Hopefully Spurs can get him. I think that he would be a good replacement for Bowen and his athleticism can make him a scoring threat in the future with the right tutoring.

Mr. Body
10-30-2006, 04:34 PM
It sounds like the Lakers might pick him up.

mountainballer
10-30-2006, 04:59 PM
how many teams would have to pass on him till the Spurs could claim him off waivers?

Mr. Body
10-30-2006, 05:01 PM
Someone - I think Bruno - said it goes in reverse order of records. So pretty much everyone. Fortunately there are a lot of teams already at 15 players and it's doubtful someone cuts a player just to pick him up. I'll glance thru to see what teams have fewer than 15.

Unfortunately one of them I think is Phoenix, who would seem obvious to grab him (great on transition, decent defense, decent jump shot).

Mr. Body
10-30-2006, 05:09 PM
OK:

Detroit
LA Clippers
New Orleans
New York
Phoenix (13 players)
Sacramento
San Antonio

Those are all contenders, if they wish. Anyone else would have to cut someone. SAS essentially has to wait until everyone else passes (I don't know how this works).

You'd think Phoenix or Sacramento would pick him up.

White does have a 2-yr guaranteed contract, however, so maybe no one takes him off waivers. In which case he can be signed for the minimum. If he lasts thru the waiver period I could see the Spurs possibly trying that.

mountainballer
10-30-2006, 05:28 PM
most of the mentioned teams are equiped at SF/SG, so there might be a small chance.
suns will likely prefer a big (Hamilton? Taft?), they are very thin up front again when Amare is still not ready to play.

Mr. Body
10-30-2006, 05:29 PM
The more I read the more it looks like White has a low basketball IQ and loses focus and intensity. He may simply not be the player the Spurs want at all.

Zunni
10-30-2006, 07:25 PM
All of those described Devin Brown, who became a servicable rotation player for SA.

mountainballer
10-31-2006, 03:33 AM
The more I read the more it looks like White has a low basketball IQ and loses focus and intensity. He may simply not be the player the Spurs want at all.

i read some Pacers boards and they go all carzy about this move. they admit that White didn't have a great preseason, but virtually no poster thinks that White didn't have the potential to be at least a great perimeter defender.

it's still a miracle why the Pacers couldn't even get a 2nd round pick for him in a trade.

btw. the Pacers boards rumor, that Bird tried hard to trade Jasikevicius and also Jax (which are old news).
Pacers are very unhappy about their backcourt situation and their shooting and will be open to trade talks. i think Spurs should talk. there are quite some scenarios that could make sense for both teams, that haven't been mentioned yet.

Mr. Body
10-31-2006, 03:41 AM
James White isn't a Pacer anymore, so there are no more talks possible. Now it's waiting for White to clear waivers and, if he does, anybody (other than Indiana) can sign him outright.

ChumpDumper
10-31-2006, 03:47 AM
He may have been talking about trading for Jack or Saras.

DON VITO
10-31-2006, 04:25 AM
James White has done a between the legs dunk...from the free throw line.

Mr. Body
10-31-2006, 04:28 AM
Ah. In that case I respectfully decline. Jackson's contract is crazy even without him turning out a headcase, and Jasikevicius is not a good NBA player, plus has a rotten contract, too. I wouldn't take either of them over any of the guards we already have, anyway.

That team is turning out to be a mess.

mountainballer
10-31-2006, 04:43 AM
He may have been talking about trading for Jack or Saras.

not exclusivly. (i know that White isn't a trade option any more).
i wouldn't want Jack back, but Saras is worth a thought. Spurs had interest in him for quite some time and i'm absolutly sure that the problem he had to adjust to NBA play comes from using him the wrong way in the first place.
Saras is such a great talent and his winner mentality is compareable to Manu's.
If the trade was like Beno + Bonner + whatever (rights, picks, filler like Williams) for Saras + Baston i wouldn't hesitate to pull the trigger.
Baston might be expendable, because he was signed before Harrington was aquired (and before Powell turned out to be the same player, but younger).
Pacers fans are not exactly excited about Baston, but he got 6.6 PPG in 10 minutes on 65% in the preseason. and offense isn't exactly his best part.
he would be a player to put on Dirk. (ok Baston is foul prone, but this is IMO also a problem of adjusting to NBA)

yavozerb
10-31-2006, 08:55 AM
How long does a player remain on waivers before teams can sign?

Bruno
11-01-2006, 05:28 PM
So White has cleared waivers ?
Maybe teams weren't ready to have him with a two years guaranteed contract.

Mr. Body
11-01-2006, 05:31 PM
So White has cleared waivers ?
Maybe teams weren't ready to have him with a two years guaranteed contract.

He should have cleared by now. My guess was a team wanted to give him a year contract after clearing waivers. Who knows if that's going on right now. I could wish like hell the Spurs pick him up, but...

Dro210
11-01-2006, 05:37 PM
Oh man, I hope so bad we get him. I wanted him the whole draft, and then the news of the cut was great, now I can't believe he cleared waivers....

Only 1 step left... will we do it? I sure hope so. Even if he has some problems, the Spurs are the organization that can fix 'em. This guy has potential out of this world with the athleticism he posseses

Mr. Body
11-01-2006, 06:02 PM
Well, if the Spurs were serious about trying for an athletic young SF who might develop into a lockdown defender, there's one standing right in front of them.

mcdunk
11-02-2006, 11:40 AM
Well, if the Spurs were serious about trying for an athletic young SF who might develop into a lockdown defender, there's one standing right in front of them.
I sure hope the front office is working a deal with Whites agent about now. With a down offseason from a fan standpoint this could be the one bright spot and move in the right direction toward the youth movement.

Mr. Body
11-02-2006, 12:45 PM
I sure hope the front office is working a deal with Whites agent about now. With a down offseason from a fan standpoint this could be the one bright spot and move in the right direction toward the youth movement.

I'd think we'd hear something if they were working on anything. A leak of some kind. Likely the Spurs are keeping the roster spot open in case there is a big injury of some kind, or want to make a trade, or just don't want to pay any more money.