PDA

View Full Version : Has your team been a success this season?

samikeyp
10-30-2006, 05:53 PM
State your team and what level acheivement this football season means success to you.

You have to have a team. You can't be like "I don't have a team...I just hate the Aggies"

As a Longhorn fan, I think anything short of a BCS bowl appearance is a wasted season.

FromWayDowntown
10-30-2006, 06:06 PM
I have 3 collegiate teams, based on my attendance records.

My dear Columbia Lions, under first year coach Norries Wilson, started well and brought some hope with wins in 3 of their first 4 games, but have gone 0-4 in the Ivies and now sit at 3-4.

My graduate school, a Big XII school nestled on the South Plains, has been rather disappointing this year as well.

Even my usual stalwart, the Trinity Tigers, have struggled to reach their seemingly annual position in the D-3 Top 25. While they're sitting at 7-1 and undefeated in their conference to this point, their Week 10 game at Millsaps might well cost them their conference for the first time since 1992. If they don't win at Millsaps, they'll miss the playoffs for the first time since 1997.

Spurminator
10-30-2006, 06:10 PM
Abilene Christian University was 7-0 before this weekend and ranked among D2 schools for the first time in years. It looked like a Playoff trip was imminent.

However, this past week against Tarleton State they lost by 1 point on a last second FG after making a great 2nd half comeback that was marred by 2 botched PATs.

Jimcs50
10-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Jury is out on Aggies still, but compared to last year, this season is a success, no doubt. I look for them to go 2-1 the rest of the way, and get a Holiday Bowl bid.

Maryland is having a good season, but will be tested down the stretch with games against Miami, Clemson and Boston College, where they can easily lose all 3.

tlongII
10-30-2006, 06:57 PM
Oregon State and Oregon are both having decent seasons so far. Far too early to call it a success though.

Marklar MM
10-30-2006, 07:40 PM
Michigan is having a good season. You know what I will say for expectations.

johngateswhiteley
10-30-2006, 07:44 PM
USC - still a shot @ title game, anything less than BCS game is a poor season

Texas A&M - i said there was no way the Aggs win less than 8 games at the beginning of the season and my prediction was 10-2. 8-4 is not acceptable...anything less than 9 wins is a failure, period

Johnny_Blaze_47
10-30-2006, 07:58 PM
Fucking rebuilding year @ Texas State.

sa_butta
10-30-2006, 08:07 PM
1.Michigan Wolverines
2.Texas Longhorns

In that order.

I would like to see the Wolverines playing for the National Championship. I am hoping their D can beat out OSU's Offensive explosion.

I also agree with Mikey about Texas, anything less than a BCS bowl would be a dissapointment. I am actually hoping that A&M beats Oklahoma just to make the game a little bigger and more important.

One huge game for each team could decide their fate or success.

beachbarbie948
10-30-2006, 08:54 PM
A&M is better than last year, but still suck compared to back in the RC Slocum days. But then again I dunno if they're really better than last year, considering the first 4 games were cupcake, and they came close to losing to Army. I still say Fran needs to go.

As for my other team, Alabama. They suck this year. Period.

There's always basketball season.

BeerIsGood!
10-30-2006, 09:01 PM
Abilene Christian University was 7-0 before this weekend and ranked among D2 schools for the first time in years. It looked like a Playoff trip was imminent.

However, this past week against Tarleton State they lost by 1 point on a last second FG after making a great 2nd half comeback that was marred by 2 botched PATs.

You live in Abilene? I lived there until recently - I worked at Dyess AFB.

Obstructed_View
10-30-2006, 09:25 PM
Baylor is decent this year, but I actually expected more. They have left at least three wins on the table this season and squeaked by too many times. I guess not being a laughing stock is an improvement, but Baylor's football program still has me looking forward to basketball season.

scott
10-30-2006, 11:06 PM
USC - still a shot @ title game, anything less than BCS game is a poor season

What planet is this on?

FromWayDowntown
10-30-2006, 11:11 PM
What planet is this on?

I'm wondering the same thing.

I'm beginning to think that if Michigan and Ohio State are both undefeated headed into their head-to-head, there's a decent chance that they'll just re-match in the BCS title game. If the Big East's three undefeateds somehow split their games, I think either Michigan or Ohio State with only 1 loss -- and that loss coming against what will be the #1 team in the nation -- is probably better than any other 1 loss team.

johngateswhiteley
10-30-2006, 11:15 PM
What planet is this on?

michigan or ohio state, t.u., louisville or west virginia, & florida or auburn might lose. plus if you look at the standings all the teams except michigan and ohio state are not far ahead. meaning, when USC beats three ranked teams in a row...that couple with some losses from the teams ahead of us should propel USC pretty close to that #2 spot.

...earth...welcome.

scott
10-30-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm wondering the same thing.

I'm beginning to think that if Michigan and Ohio State are both undefeated headed into their head-to-head, there's a decent chance that they'll just re-match in the BCS title game. If the Big East's three undefeateds somehow split their games, I think either Michigan or Ohio State with only 1 loss -- and that loss coming against what will be the #1 team in the nation -- is probably better than any other 1 loss team.

I think it would be an interesting scenario, especially if it's a very close game that is decided in the last minute. To me the most interesting scenario would be Michigan beating Ohio State with Texas sitting at #3. Who goes to the title game, Ohio State or Texas?

FromWayDowntown
10-30-2006, 11:20 PM
I think it would be an interesting scenario, especially if it's a very close game that is decided in the last minute. To me the most interesting scenario would be Michigan beating Ohio State with Texas sitting at #3. Who goes to the title game, Ohio State or Texas?

Like I say, I think the Ohio State/Michigan loser immediately trumps all other 1 loss teams (if OSU/UM are each undefeated headed into their matchup, obviously). If Michigan wins in Columbus, I think OSU's win over Texas has to keep them in front of UT.

I'll be honest in admitting that I'm actually rooting for a Michigan/Ohio State national championship game -- the ultimate rivalry game.

scott
10-30-2006, 11:22 PM
Like I say, I think the Ohio State/Michigan loser immediately trumps all other 1 loss teams (if OSU/UM are each undefeated headed into their matchup, obviously). If Michigan wins in Columbus, I think OSU's win over Texas has to keep them in front of UT.

I'll be honest in admitting that I'm actually rooting for a Michigan/Ohio State national championship game -- the ultimate rivalry game.

When is the last time we had an interconference NCAA title game?

FromWayDowntown
10-30-2006, 11:31 PM
When is the last time we had an interconference NCAA title game?

In football? I have no idea. I'm not sure that the bowl construct would have ever permitted that and I'm pretty sure it hasn't happened in the BCS era.

In other major sports -- I think the last time it happened in the NCAA Tournament was Kansas/Oklahoma in the 1988 final (and Georgetown/Villanova in the 1985 final).

I went and looked and saw that USC beat Arizona State in the College World Series final in 1998 (and the year before that LSU beat Alabama).

I'd imagine it happens with some regularity in other sports.

scott
10-30-2006, 11:41 PM
Current ACC mates Florida State and Virginia Tech played in the BCS title game in 99, but of course VaTech was part of the Big East back then.

I would guess you are right, no way for teams from the same conference to play each other in the old bowl system.

BeerIsGood!
10-30-2006, 11:46 PM
Current ACC mates Florida State and Virginia Tech played in the BCS title game in 99, but of course VaTech was part of the Big East back then.

I would guess you are right, no way for teams from the same conference to play each other in the old bowl system.

I believe back in the old days Texas and SWC foe Arkansas played in the cotton bowl with the national title on the line. I think it's happened before, but not in a very long time.

Spurminator
10-31-2006, 12:07 AM
You live in Abilene? I lived there until recently - I worked at Dyess AFB.

Only lived there for college. Not many career opportunities there.

ashbeeigh
10-31-2006, 12:14 AM
I know I talked some crap about Texas Lutheran at the begining of the season about this season being "the season" after beating Trinity in week two and we slid big time in the middle of the season (losses to UMHB, Mississippi College and one other I'm missing, maybe another D3 person can name it for me). We've got a few more big games left, and if I'm correct we still have a chance of making it to the playoffs if we continue winning after this weekends big win at McMurry. But as always, it's just a roll of the eyes when it comes to sports at TLU.

samikeyp
10-31-2006, 01:02 AM
(losses to UMHB, Mississippi College and one other I'm missing, maybe another D3 person can name it for me)

Sul Ross

ashbeeigh
10-31-2006, 02:09 AM
Sul Ross

Yeah. That was it. I tried to forget about all of them.

Vizzini
10-31-2006, 11:27 AM
I am a Michigan fan, the way every one was predicting doom and gloom at the begining of the season, I am exstatic at they way they have been playing. I will reserve final judgement until the end of the season, but win or lose, if they play well, I won't be disapointed. If they beat the Bucks on Nov. 18, I will be high as a kite for the next six weeks. If they lose and play horrible, I will be crushed, but if they play great and lose a close one, I will be content in knowing they gave it their all and just lost to a better team.

MajorMike
10-31-2006, 12:19 PM
Too early to tell. As with any team we have a 'what if' season so far:

- What if the C-USA officials got the fumble call right against Houston?
- What if we had gotten that 1st down against KState to run out the clock?
- What if Reid wouldn't have gotten hurt against atm?

You can easily argue that we could be 8-0, or 7-1 at the very least. As it is, we are 5-3 with UT, uo, tek and BU to go. Most people picked us last in the B12 South at 4-8, yet it looks like we might end up 6-6 if we beat BU without their QB at our house.

Our losses have all been games swung at the end. Our wins have all been convincing. We get uo at our house, and could feasibly be favored in that game. 6-6 is a success if you look at preseason outlook, but still feels like we dcame up short to the fan. 7-5 with a win over uo would be a HUGE success. Hell, I think if we make a showing in Austin in the 2nd half this weekend (3 points in the last 3 years combined in the 2nd half I believe) that could be a huge boost for the remainder of the season.

Reid is emerging as a star. We have one of the best offenses in the nation (9th in Rush, 40th in Pass, 11th in Total O, 7th in Scoring, only NCAA team with a Top 10 Rushing game and a Top 10 Passing Efficiency). We have a Top 3 WR (#1 YPC, #3 YPG, #3 Yards #2 TDs) and his name ISN'T Woods. Our D isn't great (77th) but we do lead the B12 in sacks and tackles for loss. Are also 4th and 9th in NCAA in KR and PR.

A Bowl with a Soph QB, Soph/Jr/Frosh RBs, Jr WR, Soph TE all coming back (only losing Sr Woods on Offense) bodes well for next year.

johngateswhiteley
10-31-2006, 12:23 PM

You can easily argue that we could be 8-0, or 7-1 at the very least. As it is, we are 5-3 with UT, uo, tek and BU to go. Most people picked us last in the B12 South at 4-8, yet it looks like we might end up 6-6 if we beat BU without their QB at our house.

Our losses have all been games swung at the end. Our wins have all been convincing. We get uo at our house, and could feasibly be favored in that game. 6-6 is a success if you look at preseason outlook, but still feels like we dcame up short to the fan. 7-5 with a win over uo would be a HUGE success. Hell, I think if we make a showing in Austin in the 2nd half this weekend (3 points in the last 3 years combined in the 2nd half I believe) that could be a huge boost for the remainder of the season.

Reid is emerging as a star. We have one of the best offenses in the nation (9th in Rush, 40th in Pass, 11th in Total O, 7th in Scoring, only NCAA team with a Top 10 Rushing game and a Top 10 Passing Efficiency). We have a Top 3 WR (#1 YPC, #3 YPG, #3 Yards #2 TDs) and his name ISN'T Woods. Our D isn't great (77th) but we do lead the B12 in sacks and tackles for loss. Are also 4th and 9th in NCAA in KR and PR.

A Bowl with a Soph QB, Soph/Jr/Frosh RBs, Jr WR, Soph TE all coming back (only losing Sr Woods on Offense) bodes well for next year.

...against the Aggies Reid went out down 10-6, when the backup came in he threw three touchdowns in the second half. i'm sorry, but i don't think OSU could have played better than that.

MajorMike
10-31-2006, 12:29 PM
...against the Aggies Reid went out down 10-6, when the backup came in he threw three touchdowns in the second half. i'm sorry, but i don't think OSU could have played better than that.

And yet, we gave you the game on a fumbled and a blocked XP with our backup true Frosh QB and a 3rd string RB. Call it what you want, but for some reason I think Reid would have done better. He's a 2nd half QB. Just ask Neb and KU.

Brutalis
10-31-2006, 12:39 PM
I like the Razorbacks and only the Pigs, nobody else, period.

To call the season a success is stupid considering the biggest part of our schedule starts next week and 3 of the last 4 games.

All we have to do is win 3 of 4 and playing for the SEC West in the SEC Championship is ours. Auburn will lose again. No matter what happens. They're already overrated, still.

But anything less than 10 wins by the end of the regular season is failure. And I mean specific wins. @ SC, TN, @MSU, LSU. The wins have to be against either LSU or TN, and we have to beat Misstake and the Gamecocks ending 3 out of 4. 10-2 is acceptable only if one of those losses was to the Vols or LSU Tigers like I said.

In my eyes anything less than a BCS game is pooh.

Brutalis
10-31-2006, 12:40 PM

Dude you can't play what-ifs.

What if Arkansas played USC in the middle of the season instead of the first game?

What if last year Arkansas got the calls they get this year?

What if what if what if..

johngateswhiteley
10-31-2006, 12:46 PM
And yet, we gave you the game on a fumbled and a blocked XP with our backup true Frosh QB and a 3rd string RB. Call it what you want, but for some reason I think Reid would have done better. He's a 2nd half QB. Just ask Neb and KU.

...and yet:

1. we had 2 turnovers to your 1
2. out gained you 423 to 359
3. had more first downs
4. had more penalty yards (though marginal)

...we deserved to win, and you can say whatever you want, but Reid is not going to score more than 3 TDs in the second half...it just wouldn't happen. our ball control offense wouldn't give you anymore possessions just b/c Reid was in the game. nice win over nebraska though...

MajorMike
10-31-2006, 01:10 PM
...and yet:

1. we had 2 turnovers to your 1
2. out gained you 423 to 359
3. had more first downs
4. had more penalty yards (though marginal)

...we deserved to win, and you can say whatever you want, but Reid is not going to score more than 3 TDs in the second half...it just wouldn't happen. our ball control offense wouldn't give you anymore possessions just b/c Reid was in the game. nice win over nebraska though...

All that, and yet you had to go to OT and block a kick to win. I'm not trying to say we should have won. I'm not even trying to say we deserved to win. However for you to say OSU couldn't have played much better is simply not true.

Same arguement everyone is using on baseball forum, the tiggers handed the Cards the WS.

MajorMike
10-31-2006, 01:11 PM
Dude you can't play what-ifs.

What if Arkansas played USC in the middle of the season instead of the first game?

What if last year Arkansas got the calls they get this year?

What if what if what if..

Geez, do you people even READ before you type?

DarkReign
10-31-2006, 02:02 PM
1. Michigan
1a. Michigan State

1. Never seen it coming. Though admittedly, I am not a huge college fball fan. But I do watch every game and nothing last year indicated the defense would this good. This year proves that coaches can literally make or break a squad.

1a. Typical MSU season. Hope, disappointment, anger into drama, comedy and ultimately stoic reservation. Disappointment, per usual with anything green and white.

johngateswhiteley
10-31-2006, 02:27 PM
All that, and yet you had to go to OT and block a kick to win. I'm not trying to say we should have won. I'm not even trying to say we deserved to win. However for you to say OSU couldn't have played much better is simply not true.

Same arguement everyone is using on baseball forum, the tiggers handed the Cards the WS.

all that? we made more mistakes than you guys did...and still won on the ROAD.

and we are going to have to disagree then, cause while any team can play better, (i don't believe anyone is capable of playing their absolute best; there is always another level) OSU could not have played much or even any better without going to that last level or damn near it.

MajorMike
10-31-2006, 02:56 PM
all that? we made more mistakes than you guys did...and still won on the ROAD.

and we are going to have to disagree then, cause while any team can play better, (i don't believe anyone is capable of playing their absolute best; there is always another level) OSU could not have played much or even any better without going to that last level or damn near it.

Still you miss the point.

Let's say, in your opinion, we played the absolute possible best we could have. In the end, what cost us the game? A mistake - a fumbled PAT.

Therefore, our absolute best possible game was not without a critical error that cost us the game - which means there was room for improvement.

Don't even get me started on gifting you 15 yards by kicking the ball out of boundson a knucklehead move. I'm QUITE certain that does not fit in the 'best possible game you could have played.'

johngateswhiteley
10-31-2006, 03:07 PM
Still you miss the point.

Let's say, in your opinion, we played the absolute possible best we could have. In the end, what cost us the game? A mistake - a fumbled PAT.

Therefore, our absolute best possible game was not without a critical error that cost us the game - which means there was room for improvement.

Don't even get me started on gifting you 15 yards by kicking the ball out of boundson a knucklehead move. I'm QUITE certain that does not fit in the 'best possible game you could have played.'

i am not missing anything. you must understand that even when you play your best game it is not without mistakes. there is no such thing as perfection...it does not exist.

did you play your best possible = no
can you play your best possible = no
did you play your best game to that point = yes

...i know nebraska was a big win for OSU, but i don't think you really played better in that game. i know the stats are better, but you had one more turnover and i don't think Nebraska is as good as A&M right now.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
10-31-2006, 04:33 PM
1. Michigan
1a. Michigan State

1. Never seen it coming. Though admittedly, I am not a huge college fball fan. But I do watch every game and nothing last year indicated the defense would this good. This year proves that coaches can literally make or break a squad.

1a. Typical MSU season. Hope, disappointment, anger into drama, comedy and ultimately stoic reservation. Disappointment, per usual with anything green and white.

1a sounds a lot like the Honolulu Blue and Silver. That's why I am a Wolverine fan even though I am an MSU alumnus; I couldn't take the heartbreak twice every weekend.

DarkReign
11-01-2006, 09:08 AM
1a sounds a lot like the Honolulu Blue and Silver. That's why I am a Wolverine fan even though I am an MSU alumnus; I couldn't take the heartbreak twice every weekend.

:lmao

NoMoneyDown
11-01-2006, 09:11 AM
Both my teams are doing well:

* Texas (8-1, AP #4, BCS #7)
* West Virginia (7-0, AP #3, BCS #3)

I'd like to see them both match-up in a bowl game.

Vizzini
11-01-2006, 11:22 AM

There is a scheduled football related press conference in East Lansing at 1:30 EST this afternoon. So, what is it going to be? John L. fired immediately, John L. fired at the end of the season? Both coordinators let go?

samikeyp
11-01-2006, 11:53 AM
I think he is gone...and I hope so.

That way they can bring in Mariucci.

Vizzini
11-01-2006, 12:12 PM
That way they can bring in Mariucci.

As a Michigan fan, that would be the best thing for them to do. Mooch is not the type of coach they need. Neither is Brian Kelly, who is the coach at Central Michigan. MSU needs to find a hard ass defensive coordinator to come in and give the program the discipline it needs.

JoeChalupa
11-01-2006, 01:00 PM
My Ohio State Buckeyes are doing great as well as Notre Dame.
I'm disapointed overall in the Big Ten though.

kskonn
11-02-2006, 11:41 AM
Notre Dame!! I will not call the season a success or failure until after they play USC. Beat USC and get into a BCS game and win the bowl game, they will have had a successfull season. Lose to USC not successfull.

DarkReign
11-02-2006, 12:37 PM
Notre Dame!! I will not call the season a success or failure until after they play USC. Beat USC and get into a BCS game and win the bowl game, they will have had a successfull season. Lose to USC not successfull.

Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!