PDA

View Full Version : Final predictions from basketball SI.com columnists

flipcritic
10-30-2006, 11:37 PM
I've always loved Marty Burns (I think he's the best analyst in basketball. There's never any cynicism in his columns.). Also longtime NBA writer Jack McCallum (but he's lost some of his passion in recent years). I think Chris Mannix is a hack, but he was right on his bets on the Mavs last year beating the Spurs to get to the Finals. Ian Thomsen = meh.

So we're the favorites I guess. :)

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/nba/specials/preview/2006/10/30/predictions/index.html

Louis2
10-31-2006, 12:47 AM
Whatever!! Lol

phyzik
10-31-2006, 02:30 AM
Whatever!! Lol

Yeah.... Im sure the world is thinking Houston is going to make it.......... Most are thinking more along the lines if Dallas can ever make it again!!!

dirk4mvp
10-31-2006, 07:12 AM
Yeah.... Im sure the world is thinking Houston is going to make it.......... Most are thinking more along the lines if Dallas can ever make it again!!!

What makes you think they can't make it again?

RC's Boss
10-31-2006, 08:26 AM
I think SA and Dal have vey GOOD chances of making it to be realistic, but it's funny how Rockets fans crack jokes and call us old when their team is full of bad backs and infected corns on their toes :rolleyes

Extra Stout
10-31-2006, 08:50 AM
I think SA and Dal have vey GOOD chances of making it to be realistic, but it's funny how Rockets fans crack jokes and call us old when their team is full of bad backs and infected corns on their toes :rolleyes
To be fair to Rockets fans, not all of them are as mentally challenged as ol' Louis.

Wait... that's right, a year ago all of them were gumballing Stromile Swift as a budding All-Star, weren't they?

Sorry, my bad, indeed they are every bit as stupid as Louis.

Joepa
10-31-2006, 08:58 AM
I dunno about Houston this year. I think McGrady's back is shot and that he won't play more than 70 games this season.

JGrice02
10-31-2006, 09:25 AM

The reasons any team can't make it are innumerable. What if calls don't go Dallas' way against the Spurs again? What if the Suns are the best team out West? What if the Rockets, arguable the NBAs biggest underachievers, finllay learn how to stay healthy and play together. What if Shaun Livingston really matures and the Clippers rise to the top?

Some things are more likely to happen than others. Given that most NBA analysts are not picking the Mavs to repeat as Western Conference Champs you have to admit there is a long list of thing people feel can happen to prevent them from winning the title. That list is mainly comprised of teams like Phoenix, San Antonio, and Miami, but there are peripherals on the list as well.

Last I checked the oddsmakers favored the Mavs to win the title. Something like 4:1. Pretty good odds for a very good team that should compete for the title. But pretty good odds are different than 1:1 odds. Something can always happen...

trueD
10-31-2006, 10:09 AM
~HAPPY B-BALL NEW YEAR~

http://www.elsewhere.org/fireworks/fireworks02.jpg

shaggy17
10-31-2006, 10:57 AM
Outside of Jordans Bulls, name me a team who has won a championship with no inside offensive game? You need that to win a title.

LilMissSPURfect
10-31-2006, 10:58 AM
It's In The Stars!

ShoogarBear
10-31-2006, 11:07 AM
The most interesting thing is how much up for grabs the East is. The Heat are probably the least-likely team to repeat of the past decade. Cavs and Bulls are good but unproven. Everyone seems to forget about Detroit and New Jersey, who actually have the most battle-proven playoff squads of them all.

ponky
10-31-2006, 11:28 AM
Uh, Those Four *experts*...who Dey B?

sanman53
10-31-2006, 11:46 AM
. ABC/ESPN. The replacement of Hubie Brown as lead NBA analyst shows, once again, how little these stations think of their audience. --Kelly Dwyer

These stations ARE thinking of their audience. Thanks ABC/ESPN.

brett_field
10-31-2006, 10:12 PM
5 of 8 picked the Spurs to win it all. Purty nice.