PDA

View Full Version : Desmond Mason Available

AFBlue
10-31-2006, 03:04 PM
I read a report that the West signing, as well as the other acquisitions this summer, leaves Desmond Mason as a possible cap casualty next season.

Just thinking out loud, but the Spurs could send Barry and Williams to the Hornets for Mason and a pick/player.

The Hornets have shown interest in Barry before.

The Spurs could use Mason's youth and athleticism. That and his contract runs out after this year. We could re-sign him to a reasonable contract or let his $8 mil come off the books...that's alot of cheese.

What do you think?

Mr. Body
10-31-2006, 03:17 PM
He worked out in San Antonio in the summer and I'd be surprised if the Spurs didn't think about it. But I'd have to think if anything was going to happen along these lines, it would have. Perhaps they wanted to hang on to Barry as a PG back-up in case Beno and Vaughn didn't work out.

He's a good guy, hard worker, pretty athletic, and a good defender.

ChumpDumper
10-31-2006, 03:17 PM
If they're stupid enough to take that package, sure. Seeing as Bower is an early favorite for exec of the year, I doubt it.

bigdog
10-31-2006, 03:18 PM
i give desmond all the props in the world for his athleticism and work ethic, but his jump shot is still somewhat unreliable. spurs should think about it though,E-Will and Barry would be a good combo for Mason.

Mr. Body
10-31-2006, 03:22 PM
If they're stupid enough to take that package, sure. Seeing as Bower is an early favorite for exec of the year, I doubt it.

You think? I'd say Paxton is running away with GMOY.

NO's FO is getting tons of press for splashy deals this offseason, but each is at least 1/2 crap and will kill the team's flexibility in 3-4 years. I don't know if they're that smart, or just desperate.

Anyway, Mason's jumpshot is so bad, I'd as soon keep Barry.

T Park
10-31-2006, 03:25 PM
There is absolutely zilch that the Hornets would want off the Spurs for mason.

Welcome back to reality.

PDBM2
10-31-2006, 03:26 PM
Cap casualty?

Unless he has an option in his contract, or is partially bought out...I don't see the team just flat out cutting him. Now trade bait is a different story...

ChumpDumper
10-31-2006, 03:37 PM
You think? I'd say Paxton is running away with GMOY.I said A frontrunner, not THE frontrunner. Pax would impress me more if he had gotten one big man that can score.

T Park
10-31-2006, 03:39 PM
or gotten anyone other than Wallace.

Mr. Body
10-31-2006, 03:41 PM
or gotten anyone other than Wallace.

Skinning Isiah alive doesn't count, placing themselves firmly in the running for Oden? Squeezing Khryapa out of Portland to get the player they always wanted - Tyrus Thomas - and drafting Sefalosha don't count? Okay.

AFBlue
10-31-2006, 03:48 PM
Cap casualty?

Unless he has an option in his contract, or is partially bought out...I don't see the team just flat out cutting him. Now trade bait is a different story...

What I meant was that he would not be re-signed with the team because of recent obligations for other players. Because they will not re-sign him, it is logical to assume that they would rather trade him than lose him for nothing. Clearer now?

PDBM2
10-31-2006, 03:49 PM
What I meant was that he would not be re-signed with the team because of recent obligations for other players. Because they will not re-sign him, it is logical to assume that they would rather trade him than lose him for nothing. Clearer now?

Now that you word it how it should have been in the first place, yes.

T Park
10-31-2006, 03:49 PM
Skinning Isiah alive doesn't count

no because every GM has done that.

Come on.

AFBlue
10-31-2006, 03:50 PM
There is absolutely zilch that the Hornets would want off the Spurs for mason.

Welcome back to reality.

They wanted Barry last year....

Mr. Body
10-31-2006, 03:57 PM
no because every GM has done that.

Come on.

Please. Getting Mohammed for a season and a half for Malik is one thing. Getting two high 1sts ++ for dumping Eddie Curry is another.

And no, not many GMs have fleeced Isiah. Certainly not on that epic level.

Still, I guess it doesn't count. Those players don't exist.

AFBlue
10-31-2006, 03:58 PM
You think? I'd say Paxton is running away with GMOY.

NO's FO is getting tons of press for splashy deals this offseason, but each is at least 1/2 crap and will kill the team's flexibility in 3-4 years. I don't know if they're that smart, or just desperate.

Anyway, Mason's jumpshot is so bad, I'd as soon keep Barry.

His jumpshot may be bad, but his defense, work ethic, athleticism, and hustle are pretty good. Plus the Spurs already have an over-30 shooter. So why not diversify instead of duplicate?

T Park
10-31-2006, 04:08 PM
Please. Getting Mohammed for a season and a half for Malik is one thing. Getting two high 1sts ++ for dumping Eddie Curry is another.

And no, not many GMs have fleeced Isiah. Certainly not on that epic level.

Still, I guess it doesn't count. Those players don't exist.

When Jackie Butler blows up, you add his name to the list too.

MoSpur
10-31-2006, 04:17 PM
I like Mason. He is still young enough to develop a better jump shot. I don't know if its possible that the Spurs could get him, but if they did that would be great. He is very athlethic. The Spurs do need to get younger in a way.

Mr. Body
10-31-2006, 04:22 PM
He's 29, so he's not very young. Young-ish.

AFBlue
10-31-2006, 04:30 PM
He's 29, so he's not very young. Young-ish.

Damn the report I read said he was 26, and it was an OKC paper. :spin That makes a bit of difference, though not a huge one.

whottt
10-31-2006, 04:33 PM
Why does every body act like we fleeced the Knicks in the Nazr trade?

We gave up two #1 picks and a guy who had a habit of destroying the team that eliminated us last season, for a player that isn't even here anymore getting nothing in return....

Excuse, in hindsight, we gave up two number 1 picks, Malik and Leandro Barbosa...for Nazr fucking Mohammed...

How in the fuck anyone can describe that as a fleecing is beyond me.

And don't say we got a title out of it....we looked to be the best team at the time we made that trade...

And we needed Malik Rose a hell of a lot more last year against the Mavs than we needed Nazr the year before.

I bet you guys think we fleeced him when we signed Charlie Ward too...don't you.

spurtime
10-31-2006, 04:50 PM
Desmond Mason looked like he would be a really nice player when he hit the scene in Seattle. Since he went to Milwaukee in the Ray Allen deal he has been pretty disappointing.

His scoring is inconsistent, mainly because of an inability to score anything from outside of 6 feet. Beyond that, his supporting stats are awful. If he isn't scoring, he isn't doing anything on the offensive end (low assists and low rebounds).

On defense he is mediocre. I certainly wouldn't call him anything resembling a stopper.

All that being said, it would give us more athleticism on the wing, and for the price of Barry and EWill he would probably be worth it.

Bruno
10-31-2006, 05:00 PM
Hornets have a lot of SFs and no real SG.
At SF they have : Mason (he is more a SF than a SG), Peja, Rasual Butler, Linton Johnson and the brasilian guy they drafted in june.

The only way I can see them trading Mason is if they are out of the playoff race and if Mason doesn't want to re-sign. In that case, a trade for a young player or a pick makes some sense for Hornets.

JamStone
10-31-2006, 05:28 PM
Why does every body act like we fleeced the Knicks in the Nazr trade?

We gave up two #1 picks and a guy who had a habit of destroying the team that eliminated us last season, for a player that isn't even here anymore getting nothing in return....

Excuse, in hindsight, we gave up two number 1 picks, Malik and Leandro Barbosa...for Nazr fucking Mohammed...

How in the fuck anyone can describe that as a fleecing is beyond me.

And don't say we got a title out of it....we looked to be the best team at the time we made that trade...

And we needed Malik Rose a hell of a lot more last year against the Mavs than we needed Nazr the year before.

I bet you guys think we fleeced him when we signed Charlie Ward too...don't you.

I'm gonna mark this down in a blog somewhere. I agree with whottt on this one. Ouch! It hurts just saying that.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
10-31-2006, 06:51 PM
I agree with whottt, except that i don't think we win the championship without Nazr. He played extremely well to end that year, and how would Malik have gone against Detroit? So would you prefer to have those picks and Barbosa back and coin-flip on the trophy, or are you happy with our 2005 championship?

As for the proposed Mason deal, I'd trigger it in a heartbeat, although in the pre-season (lol) Brent looked like he may actually be the bomber we always wanted him to be... nah, pull the trigger. We've got enough shooters.

SenorSpur
10-31-2006, 06:58 PM
Desmond Mason looked like he would be a really nice player when he hit the scene in Seattle. Since he went to Milwaukee in the Ray Allen deal he has been pretty disappointing.

His scoring is inconsistent, mainly because of an inability to score anything from outside of 6 feet. Beyond that, his supporting stats are awful. If he isn't scoring, he isn't doing anything on the offensive end (low assists and low rebounds).

On defense he is mediocre. I certainly wouldn't call him anything resembling a stopper.

All that being said, it would give us more athleticism on the wing, and for the price of Barry and EWill he would probably be worth it.

The more I think about this, it sounds like a good fit.

While Mason may not be a prolific shooter at this point in his career, I'm sure that this is nothing that a lil' work with Chip Engelland couldn't recitify.

Anyway, his athleticism, versatility and perimeter defense would be more valuable to us in the nearer term. In his previous stops, Mason was always charged with taking the opposition's best perimeter player. So he could spell Bowen and even play opposite him on occasion.

Of course, he would not be able to garner the starter-type minutes that he gets now. This may be worth revisiting come the trade deadline in February.

diego
10-31-2006, 08:49 PM
I agree with whottt, except that i don't think we win the championship without Nazr. He played extremely well to end that year, and how would Malik have gone against Detroit? So would you prefer to have those picks and Barbosa back and coin-flip on the trophy, or are you happy with our 2005 championship?

As for the proposed Mason deal, I'd trigger it in a heartbeat, although in the pre-season (lol) Brent looked like he may actually be the bomber we always wanted him to be... nah, pull the trigger. We've got enough shooters.

cosign.

Mr.Bottomtooth
10-31-2006, 09:14 PM
If you recall, I was consistently saying we should trade Barry and Williams for Mason earlier in the offseason , and I would still make that trade.