PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Finley settles in as one of Spurs' leaders

Solid D
11-01-2006, 12:35 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110106.01C.BKNspurs.finley.2d185e5.html

Web Posted: 10/31/2006 09:39 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Michael Finley hasn't forgotten the last time he walked into Dallas' American Airlines Center. The same fans he had played in front of for more than eight years booed him.
They called him a traitor. They carried signs brandishing him "Public Enemy No. 4." The day before, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban went on the radio to complain about Finley's "acting."

Finley said he's moved on. But, as the Spurs prepare to return to Dallas for Thursday's season opener, it's clear he also hasn't forgotten.

Not the sting of being cut by the Mavericks. Or the reception he received in last season's playoffs.

"The only difference now," Finley said, "is the way I felt last year is how the whole team feels this year."

In some sense, Finley has moved on. He might have looked like a Spur last season. But now, he also feels like one.

One sign came Monday after practice. The coaches were putting Jackie Butler through an exhausting drill by having him catch the ball on the block, dunk, then repeat the same thing from the other side of the lane. The young center, a free agent signed away from the New York Knicks, stopped after a few minutes.

Chest heaving, he walked off the court and put his hands on his knees.

Finley had just completed his own workout at the opposite end of the court. He walked over to Butler, leaned in and whispered in the big man's ear. Butler nodded, turned and went back to work.

"Not by any means, do I feel that this is my team," Finley said. "I know where my role lies on this team, but when I see opportune times to say something to the team or to individuals, I feel that I have enough respect from the team this year that they will listen to me.

"Last year, for me to come in and do that right away, I don't think that was my place."

The Spurs welcome having another leader in the locker room. Last week, Finley made Butler and rookie Jamar Smith run extra after practice as punishment for earlier causing the entire team to run. Staffers hadn't seen a similar act by a player since Avery Johnson left the team.

"You have to have people on your team who set examples for the young kids," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Jackie needs that, and he has a multitude of guys to look at to see the work they do during a practice and before a practice or after a practice. It's a great environment for him."

After Butler finished his workout Monday — which ended only after he ran the length of the court six times and dunked — Finley put his arm around him and offered some more advice.

"A lot of young guys come into the league and see extra work as punishment," Finley said. "It's not punishment. It's just trying to make you a better player."

Finley speaks from experience. As a rookie in Phoenix, he shared a locker room with Charles Barkley, Kevin Johnson, A.C. Green and Danny Manning. After the Suns finished practice, assistant coaches Paul Silas and Donnie Nelson would lead Finley through additional drills.

"For me to go in and look at those guys putting in the extra effort, they didn't have to tell me much," Finley said. "I just knew I had to go out there and play.

"I had a great group of people around me. I'm just trying to spread the wealth, I guess."

Like Bruce Bowen, who often puts in his extra work before practice, Finley is meticulous about his preparation. He's been around to encourage Butler, in part, because he's still on the court doing his own work.

"He's in that Joe Dumars mold," Popovich said. "He comes to work, he does his job, and he cares about everybody."

He's also a fierce competitor. Finley claims losing to Dallas in last season's playoffs didn't bother him as much as simply losing. But this much is certain: He hasn't forgotten all that transpired during the series.

After Mavericks guard Jason Terry was suspended for jabbing Finley in the groin near the end of Game 5, Cuban complained Finley had faked the severity of the blow. "Maybe the crybaby from Tim Duncan wore off" on Finley, Cuban said in a radio interview at the time.

Finley said he has no problems with Terry, who apologized to him after Game 7. "He told me it wasn't personal," Finley said. "I know he's not that kind of guy."

As for Cuban, Finley will continue to receive checks from him for the $52 million he was owed when waived by Dallas. But he hasn't spoken to the Mavericks owner.

"I have no reason to talk to him," Finley said. "He's his own man, and I guess he made comments he's going to stand on. That's on him."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

LaMarcus Bryant
11-01-2006, 12:41 AM
oh my god i hate the mavericks so much

dtk
11-01-2006, 01:09 AM
I liked Fin... I wish he would have been able to take a role in Dallas like he has taken in SA

SenorSpur
11-01-2006, 01:28 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110106.01C.BKNspurs.finley.2d185e5.html

Web Posted: 10/31/2006 09:39 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Michael Finley hasn't forgotten the last time he walked into Dallas' American Airlines Center. The same fans he had played in front of for more than eight years booed him.
They called him a traitor. They carried signs brandishing him "Public Enemy No. 4." The day before, Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban went on the radio to complain about Finley's "acting."

Finley said he's moved on. But, as the Spurs prepare to return to Dallas for Thursday's season opener, it's clear he also hasn't forgotten.

Not the sting of being cut by the Mavericks. Or the reception he received in last season's playoffs.

"The only difference now," Finley said, "is the way I felt last year is how the whole team feels this year."

In some sense, Finley has moved on. He might have looked like a Spur last season. But now, he also feels like one.

One sign came Monday after practice. The coaches were putting Jackie Butler through an exhausting drill by having him catch the ball on the block, dunk, then repeat the same thing from the other side of the lane. The young center, a free agent signed away from the New York Knicks, stopped after a few minutes.

Chest heaving, he walked off the court and put his hands on his knees.

Finley had just completed his own workout at the opposite end of the court. He walked over to Butler, leaned in and whispered in the big man's ear. Butler nodded, turned and went back to work.

"Not by any means, do I feel that this is my team," Finley said. "I know where my role lies on this team, but when I see opportune times to say something to the team or to individuals, I feel that I have enough respect from the team this year that they will listen to me.

"Last year, for me to come in and do that right away, I don't think that was my place."

The Spurs welcome having another leader in the locker room. Last week, Finley made Butler and rookie Jamar Smith run extra after practice as punishment for earlier causing the entire team to run. Staffers hadn't seen a similar act by a player since Avery Johnson left the team.

"You have to have people on your team who set examples for the young kids," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "Jackie needs that, and he has a multitude of guys to look at to see the work they do during a practice and before a practice or after a practice. It's a great environment for him."

After Butler finished his workout Monday — which ended only after he ran the length of the court six times and dunked — Finley put his arm around him and offered some more advice.

"A lot of young guys come into the league and see extra work as punishment," Finley said. "It's not punishment. It's just trying to make you a better player."

Finley speaks from experience. As a rookie in Phoenix, he shared a locker room with Charles Barkley, Kevin Johnson, A.C. Green and Danny Manning. After the Suns finished practice, assistant coaches Paul Silas and Donnie Nelson would lead Finley through additional drills.

"For me to go in and look at those guys putting in the extra effort, they didn't have to tell me much," Finley said. "I just knew I had to go out there and play.

"I had a great group of people around me. I'm just trying to spread the wealth, I guess."

Like Bruce Bowen, who often puts in his extra work before practice, Finley is meticulous about his preparation. He's been around to encourage Butler, in part, because he's still on the court doing his own work.

"He's in that Joe Dumars mold," Popovich said. "He comes to work, he does his job, and he cares about everybody."

He's also a fierce competitor. Finley claims losing to Dallas in last season's playoffs didn't bother him as much as simply losing. But this much is certain: He hasn't forgotten all that transpired during the series.

After Mavericks guard Jason Terry was suspended for jabbing Finley in the groin near the end of Game 5, Cuban complained Finley had faked the severity of the blow. "Maybe the crybaby from Tim Duncan wore off" on Finley, Cuban said in a radio interview at the time.

Finley said he has no problems with Terry, who apologized to him after Game 7. "He told me it wasn't personal," Finley said. "I know he's not that kind of guy."

As for Cuban, Finley will continue to receive checks from him for the $52 million he was owed when waived by Dallas. But he hasn't spoken to the Mavericks owner.

"I have no reason to talk to him," Finley said. "He's his own man, and I guess he made comments he's going to stand on. That's on him."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

Yet another demonstration as to how much of an ass Cuban really is. He was Fin's biggest fan while in Dallas, now that he's with the enemy he makes disingenious remarks about him. He's just a freakin' ass - not a good sport.

e_93gsx
11-01-2006, 01:36 AM
:clap :clap

T Park
11-01-2006, 01:40 AM
One of the best articles i've read in a long long time.

Texas_Ranger
11-01-2006, 02:09 AM
Go Michael Go. Hope that he will make some show vs Mavs.

xcoriate
11-01-2006, 02:15 AM
Great article,

I freaking love Finley, he stands for all the right things.

Cuban on the other hand...

jaespur21
11-01-2006, 02:24 AM
I Love How Finley is stepping up like this with the team....I expect Big things from him this year! "GET your popcorn ready" T.O.

polandprzem
11-01-2006, 04:22 AM
Like the 99 spurs where Elie, Sean, Avery, Tim, Dave had something to say.

Good to hear that jackie doing his work. Why wasn't he trained that way in NY?

Dre_7
11-01-2006, 06:10 AM
Michael Finley!! Dudes gonna have another good year (and GREAT playoff) off the bench. 6th man anyone????

Wisconsin in da house nucca!!!

AFBlue
11-01-2006, 08:25 AM
Good article. I'm happy to see that he considers himself a Spur and not some short-term gunner to put them over the top, a la Malone and GP for the Lakers. I think the more comfortable he gets in the locker room, the more comfortable he'll be out on that court....and that's a very good thing.

It's also good to see he's taking a hands-on approach and mentoring JB...that could pay real dividends in the future.

101A
11-01-2006, 09:37 AM
Last year's team, IMO, defending champions - plus Finley looked unbeatable. They were very, very good, and business-like in racking up more W's than any team in Spurs history.

This year's team has an edge about them; more emotional, more driven.

ATX Spur
11-01-2006, 10:01 AM
Cuban is a dick. I'm ready for Thursday night!

easjer
11-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Last year's team, IMO, defending champions - plus Finley looked unbeatable. They were very, very good, and business-like in racking up more W's than any team in Spurs history.

This year's team has an edge about them; more emotional, more driven.

That was the biggest thing missing last year - the drive. Especially with the poor health.

Great article - I wasn't the biggest Finley fan last year, but I thought the way he was treated by Dallas (the team, the owner, the fans) was awful - he didn't abandon them or leave for more money - he was cut. I really like what he's done and especially what he's doing this year.

boutons_
11-01-2006, 10:52 AM
Michael will be in full ball-butting form @Mavs.

The worse the Dallas fucktards abuse him, the tougher he will play.

Walton Buys Off Me
11-01-2006, 11:26 AM
WAY too much attention is paid to Marc Cuban. Give me a billion dollars, a laptop, a beer gut , some tight jeans and cocksucker's cramp and I'd be a crabby fag too.

Who cares? Dallas beating San Antonio was about as much of a fluke as Miami winning the World Title or Italy winning the World Cup of soccer. A total anomaly and the Spurs will go into Dallas tomorow night and make a point- Walton guarantees it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-01-2006, 11:30 AM
WAY too much attention is paid to Marc Cuban. Give me a billion dollars, a laptop, a beer gut , some tight jeans and cocksucker's cramp and I'd be a crabby fag too.

Who cares? Dallas beating San Antonio was about as much of a fluke as Miami winning the World Title or Italy winning the World Cup of soccer. A total anomaly and the Spurs will go into Dallas tomorow night and make a point- Walton guarantees it.

It's because it's been so long since the Spurs have played a meaningful game, but I do understand what you're getting at (for once).

Anyway, I'll have Gametracker open tomorrow night while I'm at work, because I have a feeling the ball's going to bounce for the Spurs tomorrow night in a 6-point victory.

Zunni
11-01-2006, 07:18 PM
I liked Fin... I wish he would have been able to take a role in Dallas like he has taken in SA
I think that's an insult to think that he didn't. Maybe the Dallas papers just aren't interested in covering something like that.