PDA

View Full Version : Aggies face fearsome threesome

Jimcs50
11-01-2006, 08:40 AM
Aggies face fearsome threesome
A&M's aware that Oklahoma, Nebraska, Texas can dent 8-1 mark

By DAVID BARRON
Copyright 2006 Houston Chronicle

COLLEGE STATION - Dennis Franchione is not frequently given to public reflection, which is a useful attribute for a football coach, particularly one subjected to the degree of criticism he has endured during four spotty seasons at Texas A&M.

The arrival of the No. 18 Oklahoma Sooners at Kyle Field for a prime time game Saturday, however, triggered a smile Tuesday as Franchione recalled the moment that, in his mind, helped transform the Aggies from doormats to contenders.

On its face, it was little more that a footnote in the Sooners' 36-30 victory last year at Norman. Freshman quarterback Stephen McGee, who replaced the injured, ineffective Reggie McNeal in the second half, ran for 10 yards to the Aggies' 36-yard-line late in the third quarter and was blasted at the sideline marker by Oklahoma defensive back D.J. Wolfe.

The two got up, went chin to chin and exchanged heated words. McGee then led the Aggies to two second-half field goals and a touchdown, but A&M lost the game and lost two weeks later to Texas, its fourth consecutive defeat of a frustrating 5-6 season that called into question whether Franchione had a future at A&M.

Franchione, however, believes that moment was the genesis for the camaraderie that has carried the 2006 Aggies to an 8-1 record and a No. 21 ranking entering Saturday's game.

"When I was watching the film (of the 2005 game) Sunday night and I saw that play, I said, 'Right there, things changed,' " Franchione said. "That was when things changed. For everybody. That was just the beginning of the spirit this team has played with. Our whole sideline erupted when (McGee) did that.

"We didn't go on to win the game or win the Texas game, but we played really well and really hard. And something took us into the offseason, and something took us into spring practice, and that little spirit has taken us through October."

Never say quit
Perhaps, that was the moment that the Aggies, so accustomed to failure and mediocrity as the promise of October turned to the harsh reality of November, began to fight back.

"It's the type of game I play and the way I compete," McGee said. "I remember getting some confidence (from the play), and I think guys developed some respect for me."

A year later, McGee said, he presides over a team that "believes in each other and will fight for the end for each other."

"It's made up of guys who aren't selfish and know the rules and play hard and will fight together," he said. "It's important not only about this team, but the school we play for."

The question, however, is whether that attitude can last through November. Since Franchione's arrival in 2003, the Aggies are 1-8 in their final three games of the regular season. They haven't won two of their final three since 1999, and they haven't run the table in those games since 1997, the year they won their first of back-to-back Big 12 South titles.

A&M faces perhaps the toughest stretch drive of any team in the country — the Sooners, Nebraska at Kyle Field next week and fourth-ranked Texas in Austin on the Friday after Thanksgiving.

Confidence, however, is high. On a campus where three repetitions of any given event makes it a tradition, it's useful to note that the Aggies have played the Sooners under coach Bob Stoops tough at Kyle Field three times in a row, with a four-point loss to the eventual national champions in 2000, a seven-point loss in 2004 and a four-point victory in 2002 over an OU team ranked at the time No. 1 in the nation.

Furthermore, four of the Aggies' eight wins have come when they were trailing or tied at halftime, and the A&M defense has held opponents to less than a touchdown a game in second halves — essential against an Oklahoma team that has hit double digits in second-half scoring in seven of eight games.

Plugging the holes
"We know that we can stop things (in the second half)," said linebacker Melvin Bullitt. "We don't make too many adjustments. I guess the adjustment is that we're playing harder, making more tackles."

If they succeed, they will take a giant step toward putting the finishing touches on a season that can transform A&M's fortunes in the same fashion that Jackie Sherrill's forces did in 1985, when A&M won its last five regular-season games and its first outright Southwest Conference title since 1967.

"Our season already is defined," said defensive coordinator Gary Darnell. "Are we going to redefine it? ... Every week, you're going to be redefining yourself, from contender to the contender to the team to beat or whatever."

[email protected]

Jimcs50
11-01-2006, 08:54 AM
I swear I had the exact same revelation.

When I saw Stephen McGee run for that 10 yards and get hammered at the sideline marker by the Oklahoma defensive back and jump up and get in the DB's face, I knew we had a player. I saw McGee tell him that he was not hurt at all, I saw him ask, "Is that all you got", right then, I knew that the Aggies had the man/kid to lead them back to prominence. I saw what had been missing, and I saw how his teammates all got excited and had a catharsis so to speak....they transended to a higher plane.

This team never rallied behind Reggie, but they are behind McGee 100%, and that is the difference in this year and last year. I am looking forward to this week to watch the Aggies kick the crap out of OU, and send Stoops and his visor back to Norman with their tails betw their legs, after the Aggie win.

samikeyp
11-01-2006, 11:53 AM
McGee reminds me of Bucky Richardson.

johngateswhiteley
11-01-2006, 02:53 PM
I swear I had the exact same revelation.

When I saw Stephen McGee run for that 10 yards and get hammered at the sideline marker by the Oklahoma defensive back and jump up and get in the DB's face, I knew we had a player. I saw McGee tell him that he was not hurt at all, I saw him ask, "Is that all you got", right then, I knew that the Aggies had the man/kid to lead them back to prominence. I saw what had been missing, and I saw how his teammates all got excited and had a catharsis so to speak....they transended to a higher plane.

This team never rallied behind Reggie, but they are behind McGee 100%, and that is the difference in this year and last year. I am looking forward to this week to watch the Aggies kick the crap out of OU, and send Stoops and his visor back to Norman with their tails betw their legs, after the Aggie win.

...i was at that game in Norman, i thought we were going to win.

Jimcs50
11-01-2006, 03:30 PM
...i was at that game in Norman, i thought we were going to win.

Oh great now I know we will lose in Austin.

:pctoss

johngateswhiteley
11-01-2006, 03:42 PM
Oh great now I know we will lose in Austin.

:pctoss

not so fast my friend. b/c i am moving to Montana sooner than expected, i may not make it to the game in Austin this year. not sure if i can make it yet...

Jimcs50
11-01-2006, 04:03 PM
not so fast my friend. b/c i am moving to Montana sooner than expected, i may not make it to the game in Austin this year. not sure if i can make it yet...

Montana?

WTF is in Montana?

Who moves to Montana?

Horry For 3!
11-01-2006, 04:05 PM
Montana?

WTF is in Montana?

Who moves to Montana?
JGW :lmao

johngateswhiteley
11-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Montana? WTF is in Montana?

oh, i don't know:

1. Mountains
2. Four Seasons
3. no traffic
4. much less construction
5. smaller cities
6. great weather
7. outdoor paradise
8. even more open land
9. cheaper cost of living
10. cleaner air
11. just as friendly people

Jimcs50
11-01-2006, 04:48 PM
oh, i don't know:

11. just as friendly people

You mean the 45 people that live there are all pretty friendy, huh?

johngateswhiteley
11-01-2006, 04:58 PM
You mean the 45 people that live there are all pretty friendy, huh?

well, most people are stupid. so surrounding myself with fewer...is always better.

besides, unlike girls and many guys, i don't need constant self-assurance.

leemajors
11-01-2006, 05:48 PM
McGee reminds me of Bucky Richardson.

i think he has a better arm than that.

samikeyp
11-01-2006, 09:05 PM
I would agree...but his scrambling ability and more importantly, his demeanor on the field remind me of Richardson. Kid is tough and would run through a wall for an Aggie win.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-01-2006, 11:36 PM
Oh boy corso if theres one thing i know bout those aggies boys, its that they don't know how to say three things, boyz!:

Die
Quit
Give up

They dont know how to say it and they don't know how to do it. Whoa. If any team expects the aggies to give up and stop playing in a football contest, they betta be ready to step to that sideline and have a good hearty discussion with that old BALL COACH boyyys.

johngateswhiteley
11-02-2006, 12:35 AM
Oh boy corso if theres one thing i know bout those aggies boys, its that they don't know how to say three things, boyz!:

Die
Quit
Give up

They dont know how to say it and they don't know how to do it. Whoa. If any team expects the aggies to give up and stop playing in a football contest, they betta be ready to step to that sideline and have a good hearty discussion with that old BALL COACH boyyys.

here's an idea:

why don't you just blow Coach Fran and get it over with, your crush on the Aggies is disturbing.

LaMarcus Bryant
11-02-2006, 01:30 AM
Fraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa aaaan

LaMarcus Bryant
11-02-2006, 01:30 AM
oh corso!