PDA

View Full Version : The Post has learned that Jalen Rose will make a decision today

ducks
11-01-2006, 01:21 PM
SURGERY SETS BACK JEFFRIES
By MARC BERMAN

November 1, 2006 -- MEMPHIS, Tenn. - When Knicks forward Jared Jeffries was informed two weeks ago he'd miss six-to-eight weeks of the NBA season with a fractured left wrist, he vowed he'd be back sooner. Hopefully his game is better than his predictions.

In another devastating blow, the Knicks announced Jeffries needed surgery after all to "speed up" the healing process. Jeffries went under the knife yesterday and is out six-to-eight weeks from today.

When Jeffries first injured the wrist, Dr. Lisa Callahan, the team's director of medical care, did not feel he needed surgery, so she may have blown the call.

The addition of two weeks to the timetable means Jeffries may not make his debut until next year, Jan. 1, potentially missing the first 33 games.

There was hope Jeffries would be back in December, but after being re-evaluated Monday night, Callahan decided the non-displaced fracture wasn't healing properly.

Jeffries, who signed a five-year, $30 million deal this summer as Isiah Thomas' major acquisition, was to join the team here for tonight's opener and start rehab immediately. He'll be in a splint for now. Jeffries has attended practices and shot free throws with his healthy right hand.

It's a terrible blow for a club looking to shore up its perimeter defense.

"We have a system offensively and defensively and we can cover for those things," Thomas said. "We have players ready to step up and play, not as unique as him. Hopefully they'll get the job done."

Without 6-foot, 11-inch Jeffries, the Knicks are forced to start 6-6 Quentin Richardson at small forward. They have an open roster spot after Jalen Rose was bought out and could look into signing another small forward, perhaps recently waived rookie James White or ex-Knick Qyntel Woods.

The Post has learned that Jalen Rose will make a decision today where he'll play this season; the three leading candidates are Phoenix, Miami and Detroit. The Knicks saved about $3 million in buying out Rose.

Thomas' immense ego was on display yesterday. Asked which he is better at, coaching or being a GM, Thomas said, "Let's just say I'm great at basketball."... Jerome James (plantar fasciitis) and Jeffries will be inactive tonight, and Malik Rose (hamstring) said it's "doubtful" he'll suit up. ... Thomas said he's had the same talk with Eddy Curry about showing more "manliness" as he did with Jermaine O'Neal when Thomas coached the Pacers. "I want him one day being an All-Star," Thomas said of Curry.

ducks
11-01-2006, 01:23 PM
Heat coach Pat Riley told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel yesterday the team has been in contact with free-agent guard Jalen Rose, who was waived Monday by the Knicks and becomes free to sign with the team of his choice this afternoon. The Pistons have acknowledged contact, with the Lakers and Suns also believed to be interested.

Brutalis
11-01-2006, 01:52 PM
Rose = washed up dummy.

z0sa
11-01-2006, 02:45 PM
Jalen Rose could be a good point forward type - the Heat aleady have one in Antoine Walker. I think he'd do best in detroit as he brings alot of versatility if he still can perform.

AFBlue
11-01-2006, 02:57 PM
Jalen Rose could be a good point forward type - the Heat aleady have one in Antoine Walker. I think he'd do best in detroit as he brings alot of versatility if he still can perform.

I read that the Pistons weren't going to guarantee him minutes and that's something he's looking for.

I think he'd be best in Phoenix with their group of interchangeable parts, and he'd probably get some playing time.