PDA

View Full Version : Michigan State coach Smith resigning after season

sa_butta
11-01-2006, 01:22 PM
With three games remaining in another disappointing season, Michigan State has decided that John L. Smith will not return to coach the 2007 season.

University president Lou Anna K. Simon is expected to make the announcement at a 1:30 p.m. ET news conference on campus.

Smith will coach the Spartans through the end of this season, including a bowl game. Michigan State, 4-5 this season, must win two of its three remaining games against Purdue, Minnesota and Penn State, to qualify for a postseason invitation. The university will buy out the remaining two years on his contract. His annual salary is $1.35 million. However, Smith's buyout clause is $1.5 million.

"Coach Smith deserves to coach the rest of this season because he will coach with his heart, just like he always has," Joel Ferguson, Vice Chairperson of Michigan State's Board of Trustees, told ESPN's Joe Schad. "We have respect for him and we hope he takes us to a bowl game. What we need here is more players. What we need is better recruits. We don't make excuses. What we need is more depth and more players."

Smith turned around a moribund program in 2003, his first season, taking the Spartans to an 8-5 record and an Alamo Bowl berth. However, that has been his only winning season. His last three teams have been dogged by inconsistency. The Spartans record under Smith is 22-23, including 0-4 marks against Michigan and Ohio State. The Spartans started the 2006 season 3-0 under Smith, but have gone just 1-5 since. That slump started with a 40-37 loss to Notre Dame on Sep. 23 in which Michigan State squandered a 16-point fourth quarter lead.

That was followed by a 23-20 homecoming loss on Sept. 30 to Illinois, a team that had not won a Big Ten game since 2004. Blowout losses to conference powers Michigan and Ohio State came next before a stunning comeback in a 41-38 win at Northwestern on Oct. 21, a game they trailed 38-3 in the third quarter.

Most recently, the Spartans were drubbed 46-21 at Indiana last Saturday. Michigan State took a 7-0 lead before the Hoosiers scored 46 consecutive points.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2645774

What a surprise!!!:lol

Brutalis
11-01-2006, 01:26 PM
MSU is impossible. Michigan owns the state, and so does surrounding schools. Don't matter who their coach is they need to open recruiting somewhere new.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
11-01-2006, 02:17 PM
Mooch? It would be classic if he coached the Lions and the Spartans.

samikeyp
11-01-2006, 02:38 PM
Mooch's name and the guy from CMU have been mentioned around here.

Whomever they get has to be a crazy good recruiter.

msufan420
11-04-2006, 03:18 PM
I think it would be a horrible mistake to hire Mooch. The guy is a laid back coach who does not take control of the locker room. He lets his veteran players lead the way, which can work at the pro level when you have a solid core of older take charge guys. Considering the amount of off-field problems and character issues MSU has delt with lately, the Spartans need a disciplinarian with a "no bullshit" attitude who is not afraid of putting his foot up someones ass. I also don't believe that Izzo would allow his closest friend step into the back stabbing political mess between the Board of Trustees and the Athletics Dept. there. On top of all that, Mooch employs that lame ass dink and dunk West Coast system which would in no way work with State's offensive players. If it ain't broke don't fix it....MSU's offense is great....it's their pathetic defense that needs work. This brings me to a couple guys I would love to have: 1.Gene Chizik....arguably the best d coordinator in the college ranks. Great recruiter at Texas. Would open up recruiting in Texas and the South to MSU. 2. Butch Davis....has head coaching experience at both levels. Completely turned around and cleaned up Miami's program while suffering from NCAA sanctions.....Both these guys might be longshots considering the reputations and names they've built for themselves as they would probably be more apt to hold out for a higher profile job...especially Davis due to his ties to Miami.

samikeyp
11-04-2006, 05:51 PM
msufan....went to my first MSU hockey game last night....that was a fun time.

samikeyp
11-05-2006, 01:39 AM
1.Gene Chizik....arguably the best d coordinator in the college ranks. Great recruiter at Texas. Would open up recruiting in Texas and the South to MSU.

That would suck for UT but would be great for MSU.

msufan420
11-07-2006, 09:37 AM
msufan....went to my first MSU hockey game last night....that was a fun time.

Munn Ice Arena rocks....Did you go to the comeback win against Michigan? Surprised you were able to find tickets. They are hard to come by up there.

And yeah...if Chizik were to leave UT for any head coaching job, it would put a huge damper on the Longhorns program. I did hear however that Mooch is definately not going to be coaching the Spartans. THANK GOD!! I'm sure Izzo told him to stay the hell away from that mess.

samikeyp
11-07-2006, 09:41 AM
I was there against UM. My wife's aunt and uncle are part of the Blue Line club and have season tix. They weren't able to make it so my brother-in-law and I went. Fun time.

There has been talk up here about bringing Nick Saban back....don't see that happening. The talk up here is split on Mooch.