PDA

View Full Version : Derek Anderson To Sign Overseas

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-01-2006, 01:45 PM
HEAT BUZZ
Championship trophy took world tourBy Barry Jackson
[email protected]
Some light-and-lively opening night chatter after a performance that Alonzo Mourning appropriately called a ``total embarrassment'':

• It's Nov. 1. Do you know where your championship trophy is? The Larry O'Brien trophy rests comfortably in the Heat's office this morning, but that wasn't the case for much of the summer. In fact, it traveled more the past few months than some people do in a lifetime.

Owner Micky Arison took the trophy -- protected either by a lock-box or around-the-clock security -- on his journey this summer to China, Italy, France, Spain and Italy again. (Arison had a lot of Carnival Corp. business overseas.)

''I was astonished by the interest in the team in China,'' Arison said the other day. ``People just wanted to see [the trophy], touch it. In China, they were better educated than the average -- not fanatic -- but average person on the street here in Miami. I was really amazed.''

Among Arison's more amusing moments: Watching supermodel Eva Herzegovina ''hugging'' the trophy in Rome. ''It was pretty funny watching her making love to Larry O'Brien,'' Arison said. Or, more precisely, the Larry O'Brien trophy (named after the deceased ex-commissioner). Incidentally, several Heat employees have taken to calling the trophy ``Larry.''

• Unlike Arison, Pat Riley didn't take the trophy anywhere because if he had ''I'd probably [lose] it,'' the coach joked Tuesday. ''When I went to Africa, I probably would have left it there with the wildebeests.'' (Riley went on an African safari after The Finals.)

• Among those who sent congratulatory letters to Arison were Dolphins owner Wayne Huizenga and Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria. Former Heat players Bruce Bowen, Grant Long and Steve Smith sent e-mails.

• Aware Shaquille O'Neal has criticized the new basketball, NBA commissioner David Stern approached him before the game: 'I saw Shaq being rubbed down with some substance by the trainer. I told him that's what made the ball slippery. So he said, `Stop beating up on me.' ''

• After the game, none of the Bulls, including Ben Wallace, were ready to call the Heat more vulnerable than a year ago because of age. ''I know they're not worried,'' said Adrian Griffin, who finished last year with Dallas and is now with Chicago. ``It seemed like they probably didn't have all the energy they wanted.''

Said P.J. Brown: ``We all know it takes time for [O'Neal]. He's not where he needs to be. It will be interesting to see where they are at the All-Star break.''

• Ex-UM guard Rob Hite, an hour before his first regular-season game: ``I'm overwhelmed. I keep thinking I'm going to wake up.''

• Derek Anderson and Shandon Anderson, the only players from the championship team who did not return this season, will get rings but did not attend Tuesday's ceremony. Derek Anderson, who relinquished a $2.5 million salary to take a $600,000 buyout from Miami, told the Heat he would be overseas signing with a team this week.

• The celebrity list was so mediocre that the Heat listed Dolphins practice-squad receiver Fred Gibson among them. Others included Boris Becker, Jon Lovitz, Juan Pierre, Channing Crowder and O.J. McDuffie. As is typically the case, the Bulls went back to the locker room during the ring ceremony.

• Tidbits: TNT's Reggie Miller, a big Heat critic last year, picks Detroit to win the East: ''I hope age doesn't catch up'' with Miami. TNT's Doug Collins also picks the Pistons: ``It's going to be Pat Riley's . . . hardest task to keep this team interested in the regular season.''

jman3000
11-01-2006, 01:46 PM
1 love

jman3000
11-01-2006, 01:46 PM
douche bag

Taco
11-01-2006, 01:47 PM
Loyalty!!!