PDA

View Full Version : Tyrus Thomas Broke His Nose; Gonna Pull a Rip Hamilton

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-01-2006, 01:50 PM
Thomas breaks his nose in debut
By Mike McGraw
Daily Herald Sports Writer
Posted Wednesday, November 01, 2006

MIAMI — The Bulls’ Tyrus Thomas was all smiles following his official NBA debut, even though he wore two pieces of tape over a broken nose.

“Now I’ve got a good story to tell,” the rookie forward said.

Thomas will sit out tonight’s game in Orlando. He may just head back to Chicago to get fitted for a clear plastic mask, which he will have to wear until the broken nose heals. It’s possible he could be back for the Bulls’ home opener Friday.
“It’s cool. I’ve just got a headache,” he said. “I feel good about my performance.”

Thomas (4 points, 5 rebounds, 2 blocks) took a few lumps during Tuesday’s 108-66 blowout of Miami.

The final blow came with 7:43 left in the fourth quarter when he went for an offensive rebound and was smashed in the face by a forearm from Miami’s James Posey.

It was difficult to tell if there was any malice in Posey’s blow. Last year in the playoffs, Posey was given a one-game suspension for knocking down Kirk Hinrich late in a game the Bulls had wrapped up. Expect the league office to review video of this latest collision.

Earlier in the night, Thomas fell hard into the basket support after being fouled on a fastbreak by Gary Payton, and he also caught an elbow to the head from Alonzo Mourning while battling for a rebound.

“It’s basketball,” Thomas said. “You’ve got to play hard if you want to succeed. You can’t be afraid.”

Thomas was erratic at times but very active. He slammed home a Luol Deng miss in the second quarter for his first basket and later rejected a shot by massive Miami center Shaquille O’Neal.

Both Thomas and O’Neal played in college at LSU — more than 10 years apart.

“I owed him one,” Thomas said. “He played pickup with us one time (at LSU). I tried to dunk on him, and he kind of beat me up a little bit.”

Duhon kicked, out: Backup point guard Chris Duhon limped off the floor and into the locker room with 10:32 remaining in Tuesday’s romp.

Duhon was kicked in his right foot, aggravating a bruise that has bothered him for a few weeks.

“I just have problems planting and things like that,” said Duhon, who skipped two days of practice earlier this week to rest the foot. “I’ll be fine. It’s kind of one of those things that hurts for a couple of minutes, then it eases up.”

The injury spoiled a great shooting night for Duhon. He knocked down 7 of 8 from the field, including all 3 of his 3-point attempts, to finish with 20 points.

Duhon declared himself ready to go for tonight’s game at Orlando.

“When I was out there, everything was fine,” he said. “I still felt it, but it was pretty much a small pain. Something I can deal with. I don’t plan on missing any games or any practices.”

Bull horns: Talk in Miami has the Heat on the verge of signing former Bulls swingman Jalen Rose, who was released by New York on Monday. … Rookie guard Thabo Sefolosha played mostly garbage minutes in the fourth quarter but produced 11 points, 2 steals and didn’t miss a shot. … Michael Sweetney, Andre Barrett and Martynas Andriuskevicius were the Bulls’ inactive players Tuesday.

nkdlunch
11-01-2006, 02:55 PM
that motherfuckin Posey is a dirty sonofabitch

AFBlue
11-01-2006, 03:41 PM
this guy is going to be a stud.

Man I thought this kid was so overhyped an so overrated it was rediculous. But that damn motor of his never stops and he'll get enough hustle points to justify his draft selection until he develops a reliable outside shot. I hate when I'm wrong, but with this dude...I think I was wrong.

mabber
11-01-2006, 03:57 PM
Man I thought this kid was so overhyped an so overrated it was rediculous. But that damn motor of his never stops and he'll get enough hustle points to justify his draft selection until he develops a reliable outside shot. I hate when I'm wrong, but with this dude...I think I was wrong.

Yeah, I didn't think he was worth where he was drafted but he looks good. There's a ton of upside in that kid.