PDA

View Full Version : Yawn Mahinmi

Solid D
11-01-2006, 05:04 PM
Pau Orthez beat Ulker in Euroleague action today 68-66.

Ian Mahinmi played only 5:31 and scored 2 points, had 1 reb., 1 TO and 2 fouls.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame?gamecode=23

:sleep

Mr. Body
11-01-2006, 05:06 PM
But Presti is a genius!

ducks
11-01-2006, 05:12 PM
But Presti is a genius!
he has more brains then you :ihit :ihit :devil

Solid D
11-01-2006, 05:12 PM
Ulker had Kaspers Kambala in the post, so I doubt Mahinmi would have fared very well against him physically. Kambala is a man-beast.

But that's just a guess on my part. Michael Wright is a bit sturdier and has more experience.

Mr. Body
11-01-2006, 05:13 PM
Interesting to see Kutluay in there. The Spurs were interested in him after the 2004 Olympics. Turkish gunner shot 5/11.

Bruno
11-01-2006, 05:24 PM

Mahinmi has 0 fouls. 2 fouls were made on him.

Mahinmi won't likely play a lot in Euroleague because Pau is very deep at PF/C. He will play more in the french championship because Pau can't play with all their PF/C in this competiton (it's because of a quota an american players).

Mahinmi will maybe play more in euroleague in January because pau will maybe trade one of its PF/C at Christmas.

T Park
11-01-2006, 06:28 PM
But Presti is a genius!

Yeah that Tony Parker guy has never worked out mrs Javtokas.

ducks
11-01-2006, 06:29 PM
But Presti is a genius!

yeah spurs have to give him new titles to keep him in sa
all the other owners must be stupid

Mr. Body
11-01-2006, 07:23 PM
The guy (Presti) is talented, no doubt, but he's been riding for a long time on Parker, which looks like a fluke. He's a talented guy in a talented Front Office, but the way many gibbered on this board, Mahinmi obviously was the next Robinson or Duncan just because he picked him. Obviously we need to take his dick out of our mouths.

ducks
11-01-2006, 07:27 PM
he got hedo which other spurs front office wanted for a retiring danny ferry

Mr. Body
11-01-2006, 07:33 PM
Not dismissing him at all as a fine basketball mind. Just saying he's not Red Auerbach.

ducks
11-01-2006, 07:41 PM
Not dismissing him at all as a fine basketball mind. Just saying he's not Red Auerbach.
who knows if red could do as well as he did back then
with more tech because other people have more tech on other people now

not dissing red though

Solid D
11-01-2006, 08:05 PM
Red Auerbach weighed heavily in the decision to draft Joe Forte over a young Frenchman PG who was available.

lefty
11-01-2006, 08:31 PM
Pau Orthez beat Ulker in Euroleague action today 68-66.

http://www.euroleague.net/main/results/showgame?gamecode=23

:sleep
Doesn't mean anything ; TP didn't have great stats when playing in Europe ; but his qualities fit the NBA game better than the FIBA one

wildbill2u
11-02-2006, 01:44 AM
Just because the Spurs picked Mahimi doesn't mean he's going to be a great player or even a serviceable player for a few years if ever. If he can't get more than 5 minutes on a Euroleague team, he's a long way from playing in the NBA.

He could easily burn out before realizing the potential they saw in his raw athletic ability.

mathbzh
11-02-2006, 04:52 AM
Ian is a 20yo RAW talent drafted at #28. If he had more fundamentals and was supposed to be the next TD or DRob, he would have been a lotery pick.
You can't blame Presti if he doesn't always find all star talent deep in the draft.
Ian has a disappointing start this season in french league. But in 2 euroleague games he is fine (22 minutes 11 pts 6 rebds 2st 2To 4 Fouls).
Euroleague players have a lot of experience (showcase in the last WC) and teams are reluctant to play unexperienced players. So Ian may not see a lot of minutes. If Ian is productive in these minutes it is cool (If he plays for the spurs soon, he will not see 30 minutes a game.

gospursgojas
11-02-2006, 04:55 AM
Spoiled Spurs fans, always expecting the to find "manus" and "Tonys" so far down in the draft

ducks
11-02-2006, 10:07 AM
spurs have high hopes for ian
they are talking to him and comunication from both parties are good so far

whottt
11-02-2006, 10:15 AM
Doesn't mean anything ; TP didn't have great stats when playing in Europe ; but his qualities fit the NBA game better than the FIBA one

Pau Gasol didn't either.

I don't think Dirk did much over there either.

In Euroleague/Europe I think it takes the young guys a while to crack the rotations on the established teams...regardless of talent....especially if they are rough. I've seen this trend with a lot of teams.

I think in Europe the kid won't see much court time on a good team until he starts showing a grasp of the fundamentals they want him to learn. His spot is not just going to be handed to him on a Silver Platter if he's not working for it...doesn't matter how good of an athlete he is or how much talent he has, the veterans get respected because it's a lot more about skill and fundamentals than athleticism over there. Different league, different game, different emphasis.

picnroll
11-02-2006, 11:36 AM
I wonder if the Spurs brass think Mahinmi sitting on the bench for Pau is preferable to getting playing time elsewhere? Maybe in retrospect signing with Pau wasn't such a great idea.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-02-2006, 03:45 PM
Kaspars Kambala out of UNLV....I forgot all about that guy. He was a beast. Those 3 mighty rebounds he grabbed last night don't seem to reflect that however.