PDA

View Full Version : All hail the Western Conference Champs?

SenorSpur
11-01-2006, 08:51 PM
I just saw Marc Stein on NBA Shootaround and he confirmed that Mark Cuban purposely elected NOT to raise their WC championship banner at the home opener versus the Spurs for a couple of reasons. First, he was afraid of riling up the enemy even more than they already are. Second, he supposedly didn't want to make a big deal about simply winning the WC.

Instead, he chose to raise the banner in the next home game against Golden State so as to tweak Don Nelson, with whom Cuban is still feuding with.

Personally, I think he didn't want to make a mockery out of his team's obvious failure to win a championship in front of a team that has already won 3.

1Parker1
11-01-2006, 08:57 PM
I think it has less to do with angering the Spurs and more to do with showing up Don Nelson...:lol

dirk4mvp
11-01-2006, 08:58 PM
Duh. It would also be stupid of them to raise it in front of the Spurs. If they did, the Spurs would probably go apeshit, and kick the hell out of the Mavs.

1Parker1
11-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Duh. It would also be stupid of them to raise it in front of the Spurs. If they did, the Spurs would probably go apeshit, and kick the hell out of the Mavs.

Damn....now why didn't some Spurs fan think of making a banner that said that during GAME 7 last season... :dramaquee

BUMP
11-01-2006, 09:04 PM
we are not raising the banner as a sign of respect for the Spurs. simple as that

Brutalis
11-01-2006, 09:06 PM
^ lies

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-01-2006, 09:07 PM

The Spurs aren't going to need a banner to go in and do that.

SenorSpur
11-01-2006, 09:11 PM
I don't recall the Detroit Pistons or any other team that lost in the NBA finals making a big deal out of 2nd place. Perhaps they should have just quietly raised the damn thing in the preseason.

td4mvp21
11-01-2006, 09:27 PM
That's kind of dumb, but expected. Good for them.

ChumpDumper
11-01-2006, 09:30 PM
Golden State is going to beat the shit out of them.

dirk4mvp
11-01-2006, 09:30 PM
The Spurs aren't going to need a banner to go in and do that.

No, they're gonna need Jesus and 12-pack of Red Bull to do that.

FromWayDowntown
11-01-2006, 09:39 PM
I don't recall the Detroit Pistons or any other team that lost in the NBA finals making a big deal out of 2nd place. Perhaps they should have just quietly raised the damn thing in the preseason.

That's because virtually every team that reaches the NBA Finals has the conference champions banner in the rafters before that series begins.

I'm still convinced that the Mavs didn't do that because the artist hadn't yet gotten Cuban's likeness right.

angel_luv
11-01-2006, 09:39 PM
I heard on KSAT news this evening that Cuban said they are postponing raising the banner because " opening night is a celebration in itself."

dirk4mvp
11-01-2006, 09:40 PM
That's because virtually every team that reaches the NBA Finals has the conference champions banner in the rafters before that series begins.

I'm still convinced that the Mavs didn't do that because the artist hadn't yet gotten Cuban's likeness right.

I wouldn't doubt it one bit. :lol

phyzik
11-01-2006, 09:45 PM
finally... I posted this like a month ago and everyone thought I was full of crap! :lol

judaspriestess
11-01-2006, 09:45 PM
He is not raising the banner cause he is still embarrased about losing 4 games in a row in the finals :lol

It seems like a consolation prize

dirk4mvp
11-01-2006, 09:47 PM
lawl

SPURS vs NBA media
11-01-2006, 10:01 PM
mavs.are raising the BEST BANNER from last season,making the NBA FINALS ,but lost on their homecourt what a feeling

makedamnsure
11-01-2006, 10:05 PM
Aren't these usually raised during the finals?

dirk4mvp
11-01-2006, 10:06 PM
mavs.are raising the BEST BANNER from last season,making the NBA FINALS ,but lost on their homecourt what a feeling

Are you one of duck's trolls?

Viva Las Espuelas
11-01-2006, 10:37 PM
Son, we don't need a banner ceremony 19 years in the making for that to happen.

SenorSpur
11-01-2006, 10:53 PM
If anyone saw the victory celebration when that followed the Mavs series-clinching victory over the Suns, you probably got to see the Cuban's big, gaping, open mouth as he held the WC championship trophy uphigh. Dude acted as though the team had just won the DAMN NBA Championship.

Funny, but when the Spurs clinched the series over Portland in '99 and it was clear they were going to the Finals, I don't recall any such celebration. Of course at that time, there were no cameras in the locker rooom and there was no WCC trophy.

Plus the Spurs had so many veterans on that team that there was almost an implied understanding that their goal had not been reached. They seemingly refused to celebrate, while keeping their eyes FIRMLY on the prize.

Dalhoop
11-01-2006, 10:57 PM
Coming from a business background, what would be so great about a second place trophy? "We lost the main account, but at least we got the lesser one" I just don't see it.

Also, the Heat have already shown a reason not to raise it in this particular game. That of distraction. This game between the two teams could literally determine home court if the teams end with the same record. The game is too important to the SW division picture to throw something like a banner raising into the mix.

nkdlunch
11-01-2006, 10:59 PM
No, they're gonna need Jesus and 12-pack of Red Bull to do that.

done. My homeboy Jesus Morales is coming over and not only bringin the red bull but a bottle of vodka as well

dirk4mvp
11-01-2006, 11:02 PM
done. My homeboy Jesus Morales is coming over and not only bringin the red bull but a bottle of vodka as well

:lol

FromWayDowntown
11-01-2006, 11:06 PM
Also, the Heat have already shown a reason not to raise it in this particular game. That of distraction. This game between the two teams could literally determine home court if the teams end with the same record. The game is too important to the SW division picture to throw something like a banner raising into the mix.

So, if the Mavs had won the title, they'd have waited for the Golden State game to raise the banner?

If think you're good enough to win the title, you don't worry about providing teams with extra motivation. Trust me, the Spurs goal isn't a western conference championship banner, except to the extent that you have to get one of those to get the gold ball.

Plus, it's silly to raise a conference championship banner during the ensuing season; it's more ridiculous to wait until a couple of games in, out of fear that you'll provide another team with motivation.

Besides, I still think that raising the banner on Opening Night against the Spurs would be a good move for Cuban -- the Spurs might be laughing so hard at watching that sort of celebration that they'd be distracted.

Louie Vega
11-01-2006, 11:08 PM
Instead, he chose to raise the banner in the next home game against Golden State so as to tweak Don Nelson, with whom Cuban is still feuding with.

What does this say about how he treats people? No Class Cuban!

Dalhoop
11-01-2006, 11:11 PM
So, if the Mavs had won the title, they'd have waited for the Golden State game to raise the banner?

Actually, If we had won the Championship I think that Cuban would have had a special ceremony (Most likely on this very night) to raise the banner. He would probably just open the doors and allow anyone off the street to come in a celebrate with the team.

Dalhoop
11-01-2006, 11:19 PM
If think you're good enough to win the title, you don't worry about providing teams with extra motivation.

Not many teams would think they are good enough that they should provide extra motivation to a team like the Spurs. The Mavs know how good the Spurs are, why give them extra motivation?

Plus, it's silly to raise a conference championship banner during the ensuing season; it's more ridiculous to wait until a couple of games in, out of fear that you'll provide another team with motivation.

I agree, It is complete crazy. I don't know why it has not been done yet.

Besides, I still think that raising the banner on Opening Night against the Spurs would be a good move for Cuban -- the Spurs might be laughing so hard at watching that sort of celebration that they'd be distracted.

I don't think it would be a good move ... As I already stated. i also don't think that the Spurs would be laughing

FromWayDowntown
11-01-2006, 11:26 PM

Actually, If we had won the Championship I think that Cuban would have had a special ceremony (Most likely on this very night) to raise the banner. He would probably just open the doors and allow anyone off the street to come in a celebrate with the team.

Yeah -- I don't think the NBA would permit that, since it usually includes banner raisings/ring ceremonies in its opening night coverage.

Cuban should have just raised his stinkin' banner during the Finals and gotten this whole thing over with. By not doing that, he now looks like a complete tool; by playing up the idea that the banner would motivate the Spurs, he's given plenty of reason to think that he still fears the Spurs, despite last season's playoff success.

I'm sure the Spurs are plenty motivated to beat the Mavericks when it counts -- when this banner is hanging in the rafters. Maybe Cuban intends to pull it down every time the Spurs are in the building or something like that?

Shank
11-02-2006, 12:09 AM
Couple this with Cuban not wanting to have "Western Conference Champions" on the media guide or in any promotional items and you'll see that he doesn't want to make a big deal out of 2nd place.

Why not put it up on opening night? Because you might get beat and shame yourselves like the Heat did when they got their rings last night. Just like a Homecoming schedule.

FromWayDowntown
11-02-2006, 12:19 AM
Couple this with Cuban not wanting to have "Western Conference Champions" on the media guide or in any promotional items and you'll see that he doesn't want to make a big deal out of 2nd place.

Why not put it up on opening night? Because you might get beat and shame yourselves like the Heat did when they got their rings last night. Just like a Homecoming schedule.

Except that by acting like a jackass with this, he has made it into a bigger deal than it ever should have been. Does he really think that the Spurs would be any more motivated by seeing a banner than they will by seeing the Mavericks? Does he think the Spurs are that emotionally pliable?

Why not put it up during the Finals -- what on Earth was Cuban saving the banner for? Was he going to have it raised as a prelude to raising the real deal? I mean, honestly, who on Earth waits until the following season to raise a "we didn't really win anything" banner?

Maybe there were no banner makers with NBA templates in the Metroplex.

alamobear
11-02-2006, 12:22 AM
Golden State is going to beat the shit out of them.
:lol

gameFACE
11-02-2006, 12:28 AM
Maybe Cuban is saying this to get the Spurs to relax. Maybe this will get the Spurs to think the Mavs are afraid of them and the Spurs will take the game too lightly and get caught off guard for a Mavs win.

NAH! Probably, the ceremony got canceled like his TV show.

judaspriestess
11-02-2006, 12:56 AM
maybe Cuban should just raise the banner in front of the cleaning crew after the game. Its still opening night

coopdogg3
11-02-2006, 01:29 AM
we are not raising the banner as a sign of respect for the Spurs. simple as that

While I would like to believe that on some level, Cuban has shown himself to be a complete jackass when it involves anything Spurs/San Antonio related. Refuse to believe he has morphed into some sort of gentleman. Sell it elsewhere, I ain't buying. He knows his team is still a piss-poor 2nd to the Spurs.

Dalhoop
11-02-2006, 07:08 AM
Yeah -- I don't think the NBA would permit that, since it usually includes banner raisings/ring ceremonies in its opening night coverage.

All the more reason why he would do it. I didn't say the media couldn't cover it, just that he would do it for the all the fans, not just for "game one ticket holders". It would have given the Mavs more coverage on a day that they didn't even play a game.

Anyway they didn't win it all, so we will have to wait till the start of next season to see what Cuban will do with raising a NBA Championship banner :)

LilMissSPURfect
11-02-2006, 08:12 AM
its 1 game, geeeeez

shoulda
woulda
coulda

someone just put the thing up and let's get on with it