View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs open with intense rival

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-02-2006, 01:48 AM
Spurs open with intense rival

Web Posted: 11/01/2006 10:40 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

DALLAS — You again?

The Spurs begin a new season tonight, facing the same team that closed out their previous campaign, in a building they know all too well. It's been almost half a year since they trudged off the AT&T Center floor, dazed by the sudden end of a title reign that, for one fleeting moment, seemed destined to stretch on.

Five months, one week and three days has been long enough for the NBA to crown a new champion (and watch it embarrass itself). Long enough for microfiber to replace leather. Long enough for San Antonio officials to begin cleaning up that "ugly-ass, muddy-watered thing" of a downtown river.

If you ask the Spurs, five months also is just the right amount of time to simmer.

"There's a still-burning desire," Bruce Bowen said, "to make amends for our last game."

The Spurs haven't forgotten the final game of their epic second-round series against Dallas or the six that preceded it. Two of the games, including the last one, needed overtime to complete. Six were decided in the closing seconds.
Spurs Mailbag
Got a question about the Spurs? Use the form below and fire away!
*Your name
*Your e-mail
Your hometown
*Your question
*Required

Tim Duncan, who became so dehydrated in the final game he couldn't stand in the locker room afterward, initially called the two-week battle the greatest of his career. But even now, as the Spurs and Mavericks prepare to meet again, he said the wound is still too fresh to truly appreciate the teams' competitiveness.

"We believe we should have won it and moved on," Duncan said. "We knew it was two hard-fought teams going at it. I just wish it had ended differently."

Both teams, however, agree the series turned what was already an intense rivalry into one of the NBA's fiercest. Spurs coach Gregg Popovich and Dallas coach Avery Johnson remain good friends, dining together this summer and again last week, but their franchises aren't nearly as cozy.

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban did his best to inflame relations by cursing at Bowen after one game; calling Duncan a "crybaby;" and critiquing not only the cleanliness of the San Antonio River but also the behavior of the city's fans. Jason Terry was suspended for a game after jabbing Michael Finley in the groin. Robert Horry had already served his own suspension earlier in the season for gumming Jerry Stackhouse's arm.

Finley didn't bother to watch his former teammates when they faced Miami in the NBA Finals. Horry watched only the final two minutes, but said, for the first time in his career, he rooted for the Eastern Conference.

Even Del Harris, Dallas' usually mild-mannered assistant coach, briefly joined the fray when he chided Duncan from the bench for whining about the officiating.

"We don't like them. They don't like us," Stackhouse told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram this week. "That's it. It may all sound sweet when you're talking to the media, but when you actually get between those lines, man for man, I don't like them.

"You can write it down. Put it in present tense. Whatever you want to."

Horry attributed Stackhouse's comments and Cuban's conduct to "a little bit of jealousy."

"They're the only team in Texas," Horry said, "that doesn't have a championship."

By advancing to the Finals last season, the Mavericks have become, in Finley's words, "the team to beat" in the Western Conference. Duncan even expects tonight to feel "more like 50 games into the season than an opening night."

But the Spurs also realize that one game against Dallas signifies nothing more than the start to another season. Regardless of the outcome, each team will have another 81 games to play.

"We just know there's a team in our way to try to win the championship," Horry said. "They have nothing we want. The only people that have something we want are the Miami Heat.

"All these other banners ... Western Conference champions ... that don't mean nothing. That's just like winning a medium battle in a big-ass war."

Notebook: Tony Parker had trouble cutting and changing directions in practice Wednesday and said his right ankle remained "pretty sore." But he's still hopeful he'll be able to play tonight. "I think I'll be all right," Parker said. "I'll see how it feels tomorrow. If it feels good, I'll go. If I feel a little bit of pain, I'm not going to take any chances." ... Fabricio Oberto is expected to start at center tonight. ... As of Wednesday afternoon, the Spurs still had more than 1,000 tickets available for Friday's home opener against Cleveland.

[email protected]

Louis2
11-02-2006, 02:04 AM
Horry talking shit again?

ATX Spur
11-02-2006, 02:06 AM
"They're the only team in Texas," Horry said, "that doesn't have a championship."

:lmao

Fabricio Oberto is expected to start at center tonight.

I wonder where this came from.

coopdogg3
11-02-2006, 02:08 AM
Yeah, the only team in Texas without a championship is just plain cold, esp coming from Horry. Well played Horry, well played.

THE SIXTH MAN
11-02-2006, 02:24 AM
"We don't like them. They don't like us," Stackhouse told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram this week. "That's it. It may all sound sweet when you're talking to the media, but when you actually get between those lines, man for man, I don't like them.

Stack sounds like a bitch with this quote. :lol

THE SIXTH MAN
11-02-2006, 02:35 AM
Houston 97
Utah 107
:smokin

SenorSpur
11-02-2006, 03:35 AM
Damn I love Big Shot Bob! I just wonder who's gonna replace his contributions, both on and off the court, when he retires.

slayermin
11-02-2006, 04:02 AM
I have decided to just enjoy this season and let it unfold before my eyes.

It will depend on health as it always does. We have assembled some clutch shooters for the playoffs. The Hedo Turkoglu/Steve Smith syndrome shouldn't be a problem.

Everything will ride on Tony Parker. He will be the difference between the Spurs dominating or bowing out in the semis.

timvp
11-02-2006, 04:02 AM
Stackhouse has room to talk. Last year he punked the Spurs, Duncan called him out but then he helped lead the Mavs to victory.

Time to make them shut they mouf.

:smokin

FromWayDowntown
11-02-2006, 08:26 AM
"We just know there's a team in our way to try to win the championship," Horry said. "They have nothing we want. The only people that have something we want are the Miami Heat.

Robert Horry responds to Mark Cuban's asinine statement that the Mavericks have what the Spurs want, and then . . . . .

"All these other banners ... Western Conference champions ... that don't mean nothing. That's just like winning a medium battle in a big-ass war."

. . . . to Cuban's ridiculous Western Conference Champions banner ceremony and his decision to delay it a few days.

LilMissSPURfect
11-02-2006, 08:30 AM
Robert Horry responds to Mark Cuban's asinine statement that the Mavericks have what the Spurs want, and then . . . . .

. . . . to Cuban's ridiculous Western Conference Champions banner ceremony and his decision to delay it a few days.

cuban :dramaquee :dramaquee -- :dizzy

Ishta
11-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Big Shot Rob.... Greatness

Joepa
11-02-2006, 09:04 AM
Oh man, the mavs got BURNED. Horry must troll SpursTalk.

Rummpd
11-02-2006, 09:35 AM
Horry is my Hero and he goes big time tonight

dougp
11-02-2006, 09:41 AM
Man - tonight's game is going to be badass, but it pisses me off that you have to subscribe to TNT HD on TOP of the basic HD package.

whottt
11-02-2006, 09:43 AM
It's good for the Spurs and the NBA...if the Mavs want a rivalry let's give it to them.

whottt
11-02-2006, 09:45 AM

Silence Jr...

Go play with your lottery balls and let the adults talk.

1Parker1
11-02-2006, 09:48 AM
:lmao @ Horry's smack talking. I like it :)

dougp
11-02-2006, 09:53 AM
:lmao @ Horry's smack talking. I like it :)
Someone needs to - who else would?

RC's Boss
11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
Silence Jr...

Go play with your lottery balls and let the adults talk.
:lmao

Jimcs50
11-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Tim Duncan, who became so dehydrated in the final game he couldn't stand in the locker room afterward, initially called the two-week battle the greatest of his career. But even now, as the Spurs and Mavericks prepare to meet again, he said the wound is still too fresh to truly appreciate the teams' competitiveness.

Gee, I wonder why. Perhaps had Pop played our two centers a few mins, he would have been able to rest some on the bench and we might have won the game, yathink?

whottt
11-02-2006, 10:32 AM
Gee, I wonder why. Perhaps had Pop played our two centers a few mins, he would have been able to rest some on the bench and we might have won the game, yathink?

If the Mavs beat us again, Pop's going to start Beno at C. Cross your fingers.

intlspurshk
11-02-2006, 12:53 PM
It would be very embrassing if SPURS lose this game cause they have the fire. I hope Pop has really developed a team to deal with the Mavs. Let's admit that they are still the team to beat in the West and let's start from here to destroy this low class team.

SAtown
11-02-2006, 01:31 PM
There ya go HORRY!!!!! Stackhouse is an idiot, how embarrassing.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-02-2006, 01:36 PM
I love it when Horry starts talking smack. It's usually a good sign for the season. :tu

nkdlunch
11-02-2006, 01:36 PM
It would be very embrassing if SPURS lose this game cause they have the fire. I hope Pop has really developed a team to deal with the Mavs. Let's admit that they are still the team to beat in the West and let's start from here to destroy this low class team.

I hope u're joking. We have a good chance tonight, but Dallas has the homecourt and the confidence, they are the favorites to win tonight by 4 points. so how could Spurs losing tonight be an embarrasing thing?

that being said. GOOOOOO SPURS!!!

SAtown
11-02-2006, 01:39 PM
I can't wait to see that lunatic of an owner get an "easy tec," now that they're dishing them out like candy.

nkdlunch
11-02-2006, 01:39 PM
:lol since when owners get Td up?

SAtown
11-02-2006, 01:40 PM
Ah, well, the team. They can get Td, no?

mabber
11-02-2006, 01:42 PM

I'm expecting the Spurs to win tonight. The Mavs starting 5 has hardly played together this preseason and I'm fairly certain this game is more important(a little revenge) to the Spurs than the Mavs. I'm just hoping it's a good game. I'd be shocked if the Mavs played a really good game.

With that said...Go Mavs!!!

nkdlunch
11-02-2006, 01:43 PM
they should, but it ain't gonna happen. they can't touch owners.