PDA

View Full Version : Disney coming to SA?

Buddy Holly
11-02-2006, 04:09 AM
No, I'm not making this up. I've been hearing a lot of rumbling from different sources (in real estate and construction) about Dinsey being very serious about building a theme park in SA.

I'd known about this for some time but have held back because it looks like hearsay on my part, rightfully so, but now I'm just past the point of not caring if I come off looking stupid for posting this.

The specifics I know are that Disney bought a bunch of land of land off 90 west of 211 and that one of the reasons the city is expanding the airport is because of Disney.

Believe what you want, I don't care. I just want to know if anyone's also heard this or if anyone reading this (WOAI folk) could possibly look into this with greater detail.

PM5K
11-02-2006, 04:16 AM
They don't have a presence in Texas do they?

timvp
11-02-2006, 04:37 AM
I picked my team name for no other reason than to see TimVP have to say the word asshole on a frequent basis and he's still managed to somehow Disneyfy it for over a year now.

whottt might have accidentally said more than he should have . . .

NameDropper
11-02-2006, 07:56 AM
I've been hearing those same rumors for quite awhile and with the financial problems Six Flags is having.....well, you just never know.

alamobear
11-02-2006, 08:38 AM
i know for a fact that they also own a lot of land in katy texas

Das Texan
11-02-2006, 08:48 AM
This was talked about long ago about Disney wanting to move into Texas somewhere.

at least if this would happen, Disney would be near my office.....

davi78239
11-02-2006, 08:54 AM
Wow, are you guys serious?! This would be really huge for SA. I'm all for it.

Das Texan
11-02-2006, 08:55 AM
Personally I dont think there is enough real estate out there for Disney to really do what they want, but ya never know I guess.

SA210
11-02-2006, 09:49 AM
I hope it's true. :tu

boutons_
11-02-2006, 11:00 AM
How are SeaWorld and FiestaTexas doing?

Spam
11-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Hakuna Matata!!

CosmicCowboy
11-02-2006, 11:14 AM
How are SeaWorld and FiestaTexas doing?

I read somewhere that Fiesta Texas is the most profitable of all the Six Flags parks. I don't have a clue how profitable Seaworld is but Anhauser Busch is obviously not going out of business and I certainly don't see them closing seaworld.

davi78239
11-02-2006, 11:43 AM
If you think about it and if this holds true about Disney, it would make sense for them to build out on 90 because then all the theme parks will be in a distinct cluster. You'd have Disney on 90, Sea World not too far down the road, and then Six Flags next in line. I work on Lackland and from what I see further down the road, it sure looks like there's a shit load of vacant land if you keep going hwy 90. What also would make it a great location is that you have thousands of visiting people coming down for military graduations at Lackland and Disney would be not too far off the road for them, as well as the current theme parks that we already have here.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2006, 11:49 AM
I've been wondering for years why they don't have something set up in the mid west. I'd hate to think of the whole of south central Texas becoming a tourist trap, but it seems headed farther and farther in that direction every time I visit as it is.

01Snake
11-02-2006, 11:53 AM
I hope it's true. :tu

Are you looking into a career as TinkerBell?

:lol

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-02-2006, 12:01 PM
They were talking about an SA Disney when I was living in San Antonio.....in 1983.

SA210
11-02-2006, 12:08 PM
Are you looking into a career as TinkerBell?

:lol
No, I figured you'd want that job. :)

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-02-2006, 01:59 PM
Goodie, it's only been 5-6 years since the last Disney building outside SA rumor, I guess it was overdue...

01Snake
11-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Speaking of amusement parks, I heard Six Flags Astroworld shutdown... Yes??

davi78239
11-02-2006, 02:34 PM
Speaking of amusement parks, I heard Six Flags Astroworld shutdown... Yes??

Yes, they've been shut down for almost a year now.

PakiDan
11-02-2006, 07:08 PM
Well - I believe that this has been posted before... not that anyone cares, but here are my thoughts... First --- Just because Disney buys or owns land in Texas does not mean that they will build here. Real Estate, as I'm sure Buddy Holly can attest to, is a highly lucrative business. USAA, Pepsico, The Morman Church, Coca Cola, Six Flags, and many other companies own millions of acres of land in prime spots, solely for the purpose of investment/returns, NOT for development by their company. What would make Disney different. I would buy that land too if I could. There will be many potential buyers in the coming years and I am sure it would be a very lucrative investment. If Disney builds here, I will sponsor a field trip for Spurstalk.

TxJudsonRocketTx
11-02-2006, 07:29 PM
While reading this I mentioned it to a friend of mine whom lives in SA and whose mother is in real esate, he said 10 months ago Disney outbid his moms company for the land and it is actually located between SA and New Braunfels, but that was last he heard and that was like I said 10 months ago

SA210
11-02-2006, 11:10 PM
While reading this I mentioned it to a friend of mine whom lives in SA and whose mother is in real esate, he said 10 months ago Disney outbid his moms company for the land and it is actually located between SA and New Braunfels, but that was last he heard and that was like I said 10 months ago
Cool, hope it happens.

jinglejangle
11-03-2006, 11:14 AM
Would be pretty nuts and they would capitalize huge on the Northern Mexico and Deep South Texas market.
As long as it's not called Disney Ranch, it should be cool.

11-03-2006, 11:17 AM
I can't see it happening around San Antonio at all. Can you imagine the full on freak out that will happen when they apply to pull water from the Edwards?

johnsmith
11-03-2006, 11:36 AM
I can't see it happening around San Antonio at all. Can you imagine the full on freak out that will happen when they apply to pull water from the Edwards?

First of all, I don't think they will. Having said that, someone in here mentioned something about in between SA and New Braunfels, that would crack me up because it would be outside of Bexar county and would pull it's water from the aquafer in San Marcos. SA would reap the benefit of more tourists, but it would be funny to me if they couldn't get any of the taxes from the place while Schertz/Cibolo/New Braunfels would be rolling in the dough..............maybe my property taxes would go down even further being that I'm in Guadalupe county?

Louie Vega
11-04-2006, 12:11 AM
I heard Toyota was looking to acquire land in a certain area of S.A. but couldn't cause Disney owned it. And we are talking huge amounts of acres. Supposedly the South Side wasn't Toyota's first choice. I for one think it will happen.

Das Texan
11-04-2006, 12:16 AM
I heard Toyota was looking to acquire land in a certain area of S.A. but couldn't cause Disney owned it. And we are talking huge amounts of acres. Supposedly the South Side wasn't Toyota's first choice. I for one think it will happen.

I dont.

RashoFan
11-04-2006, 04:43 PM
Having Disney here would be nice...I love DisneyWorld in Fl. But I feel these are just whispers in the wind. The is a lot of growth around town and it maybe a little too much too soon. I guess it is Standby to Standby...we will see if it is a reality when the time comes.

samikeyp
11-04-2006, 05:52 PM
Siren with a Siren

THAT is perfect! :tu :tu

Buddy Holly
11-04-2006, 06:04 PM
I've heard the name would be Disney Kingdom.

jman3000
11-05-2006, 05:31 AM
bad idea... too many infrastructure problems as it is around 1604... dont' need this to fuck things up more....

lebomb
11-05-2006, 11:00 AM
bad idea... too many infrastructure problems as it is around 1604... dont' need this to fuck things up more....

:rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes :rolleyes

johnsmith
11-05-2006, 11:01 AM
I've heard the name would be Disney Kingdom.

I've heard you love the cock.