PDA

View Full Version : Ellis: Spurs Ready to Tipoff the Season

Kori Ellis
11-02-2006, 04:24 AM
Spurs Ready to Tipoff the Season

By Kori Ellis
SpursZONE.com

As the San Antonio Spurs get ready to tip off the season against the Dallas Mavericks on Thursday night, they are still unsure if they will have their starting point guard in the lineup.

Tony Parker, who sprained his right ankle in practice on Monday, is still hurting and his status is unknown for the game.

Parker Interview (after Wednesday's practice) (http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/default.aspx?videoId=317960,565)
Bowen Interview (after Wednesday's practice) (http://www.woai.com/mediacenter/default.aspx?videoId=317961,565)

"It's pretty sore, pretty sore," said Parker after Wednesday's practice. "But I think I'll be alright. I'll see how I feel tomorrow."

Even if Parker feels he's ready to go on Thursday, the final decision will be made by head coach Gregg Popovich.

"It's just going to be about me and my tolerance of pain," said Parker. "And then I have to try to convince Pop that I'm ready to go."

After losing to the Mavericks in a heart-breaking Game 7 of the Western Conference semifinals last season, the Spurs won't say that revenge is on their minds.

"We believe that we should have won it (last season)," said Tim Duncan this week. "We are going to try to go into Dallas and get this one and get a boost to start this season."

Bruce Bowen says it's not about making a statement to the Mavericks, but about starting the season off on the right foot.

"I don't know if it's about sending a message per se," explained Bowen. "But we want to go out and play the best basketball we can in a difficult environment."

Mavericks owner Mark Cuban is a little more blunt about the rivalry.

"We just don't like them," Cuban told the Dallas Morning News. "They had what we wanted for so many years. And we took it from them last year. They have had former Mavs, and Avery (Johnson) is a former Spur, which has raised the intensity. Plus, we feel like one of their players is more than a little dirty."

Tipoff is at 7:00pm at the American Airlines Center in Dallas.

Television: TNT
Radio: WOAI 1200

Join me and other fellow Spurs fans to watch the game at MadDog's (http://www.maddogs.net/) on the Riverwalk. We have the VIP section reserved under my name.

In addition to her work for SpursZONE.com (http://SpursZONE.com), Kori pens a weekly column for the Virgin Islands Daily News and is your guide to San Antonio on About.com.

Talk about this article with other Spurs fans on SpursTalk.com (http://spurstalk.com).

polandprzem
11-02-2006, 04:49 AM
nice

gospursgojas
11-02-2006, 04:51 AM
Plus, we feel like one of their players is more than a little dirty

What? He punches guys in the nuts

TDMVPDPOY
11-02-2006, 04:56 AM
douchebag should take a rest serious, its just one game early in the season, does he think his painless tim-bot?

timvp
11-02-2006, 04:58 AM
I'd hit it.

V-Murder
11-02-2006, 04:59 AM
Way to make us Dallas fans proud, you fucking idiot (Cuban).

polandprzem
11-02-2006, 05:06 AM
I'd hit it.

You didn't?

PM5K
11-02-2006, 05:33 AM
What did they take from us that we had for so many years? The Western Conference Championship?

We have rings, they haven't taken any of those from us...

ShoogarBear
11-02-2006, 05:43 AM
This just in: Mark Cuban still a pussy douche. Film at 7.

And no, Mark, you don't have one damn thing we want.

1Parker1
11-02-2006, 09:54 AM
"We just don't like them," Cuban told the Dallas Morning News. "They had what we wanted for so many years. And we took it from them last year.

:lmao Someone want to tell Cuban that the only thing Dallas took from the Spurs is a banner that proclaims Western Conference Champions? Unless, that's all that the Mavs wanted for so many years...in which case, they can gladly take it year after year, as long as we take the rings :smokin

ShoogarBear
11-02-2006, 09:55 AM
Someone want to tell Cuban that the only thing Dallas took from the Spurs is a banner that proclaims Western Conference Champions? Unless, that's all that the Mavs wanted for so many years...in which case, they can gladly take it year after year, as long as we take the rings :smokinUmmmmmm . . . you may want to rephrase that one a bit, lady.

angel_luv
11-02-2006, 10:04 AM
Good article, Kori. :)

"We just don't like them," Cuban told the Dallas Morning News. "They had what we wanted for so many years. And we took it from them last year. They have had former Mavs, and Avery (Johnson) is a former Spur, which has raised the intensity. Plus, we feel like one of their players is more than a little dirty."

:loser :lol

boutons_
11-02-2006, 10:16 AM
Egomaniac Cuban always makes it personal, esp when it's his person involved, which he insists on inserting where it shouldn't be. Fuck you, asshole.

What a fucked up organization.

dougp
11-02-2006, 10:21 AM
Egomaniac Cuban always makes it personal, esp when it's his person involved, which he insists on inserting where it shouldn't be. Fuck you, asshole.

What a fucked up organization.
One day something will be done about Cuban, like what the NFL started doing with TO ... it's only a matter of time.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2006, 10:26 AM
"Plus, we feel like one of their players is more than a little dirty."

I don't get it. Does Bonner have hygiene issues? That's just not nice.

SenorSpur
11-02-2006, 10:27 AM
I can't wait to see Finley throw down yet enough slam dunk in their faces.

Of course, I'm counting on the Spurs walking out with a win too.

Slomo
11-02-2006, 10:30 AM
Ummmmmm . . . you may want to rephrase that one a bit, lady.:lol:lol:lol

Slomo
11-02-2006, 10:36 AM
I want one of hese tonight

http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/Bowned_dirk.jpg

FromWayDowntown
11-02-2006, 10:39 AM
I want one of hese tonight

http://www.cikava.com/gallery/albums/Photoshop_madness/Bowned_dirk.jpg

what? an uncalled foul? [/mavfan]

jmard5
11-02-2006, 11:07 AM
:lmao Someone want to tell Cuban that the only thing Dallas took from the Spurs is a banner that proclaims Western Conference Champions? Unless, that's all that the Mavs wanted for so many years...in which case, they can gladly take it year after year, as long as we take the rings :smokin

Uhm. If Dallas takes the Western Conference Championship from the Spurs every year, Spurs won't advance to the finals and probably won't get the rings. :downspin:

nkdlunch
11-02-2006, 11:15 AM
Cuban tries to hype up the rivalry but doesn't realize noone takes him seriously anymore. Poor Cuban.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2006, 11:20 AM
Cuban tries to hype up the rivalry but doesn't realize noone takes him seriously anymore. Poor Cuban.

The sad thing is that the rivalry is finally good enough to stand on its own as a head to head matchup between the two teams that so many are booking as the eventual champions this year. This is going to be THE RIVALRY to watch this year, and Cuban's stupidity is going to reduce it to little more than a sideshow because of his infantile need for attention.

nkdlunch
11-02-2006, 11:22 AM
Last night the Cavs and Wizards picked up where they left off last year. I am pretty sure the same will happen tonight. It's gonna be playoff atmosphere on opening night!!!!

i cant wait

mabber
11-02-2006, 02:17 PM

Cuban is a marketing guy!!! It doesn't matter if you take him seriously or not. The guy might be a moron but he's a flat out genius in regards to business.

It's AMAZING that some of you haven't figured this out yet. He makes money in a variety of ways by drawing attention to his team. He doesn't care if it's negative or positive attention. A big time rivalry between the Mavs and the Spurs is only good for him. It's (Rivalry) really good for the league and the owners make money off things that are good for the leauge (Business 101) :greedy

I'm not defending some of his BS, just trying to explain it to some of you.

nkdlunch
11-02-2006, 03:10 PM
Cuban's stupid antics did not contribute in any way to more ppl watching NBA.

Don't pretend like he's purposely acting like a clown just because it's good for business.

BULLSHIT. truth is he cannot control his retarded ways when it comes to basketball. He's just a weird guy that let's his emotions get the best of him.

ShoogarBear
11-02-2006, 03:14 PM
Cuban is a marketing guy!!! It doesn't matter if you take him seriously or not. The guy might be a moron but he's a flat out genius in regards to business.

It's AMAZING that some of you haven't figured this out yet. He makes money in a variety of ways by drawing attention to his team. He doesn't care if it's negative or positive attention. A big time rivalry between the Mavs and the Spurs is only good for him. It's (Rivalry) really good for the league and the owners make money off things that are good for the leauge (Business 101) :greedy

I'm not defending some of his BS, just trying to explain it to some of you.Cuban's shit would only work in a superficial burg like Dallas.

1Parker1
11-02-2006, 03:20 PM
Ummmmmm . . . you may want to rephrase that one a bit, lady.

:lol :shootme Whatever...you got what I meant.

Ocotillo
11-02-2006, 03:25 PM
Cuban has devolved from hated rival to boring. Same ole same ole.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2006, 03:31 PM
Once upon a time, Cuban was good for the Mavericks. When they were a second rate franchise in a relatively forgotten market he managed to drum up some interest with his energy, enthusiasm, and image as an owner who was just as much a sports fan as a businessman. Back when they were perenial flame outs under Nellie Cuban's antics still managed to keep them in the spotlight, even with most knew that they weren't going to the finals. But now they are a legit championship contender and look to be one for a few seasons to come. The NBA knows that there is a team in Dallas now, and when Cuban continues to run his mouth it doesn't generate interest, it generates ill will towards his investment. I know people who are diehard basketball fans who refuse to watch Mavs games because they know there's always going to be some segment about that stupid douchebag. When you start turning off consumers, that's bad business.

The novelty of his act has worn off. People are seeing through his smoke screen. He's not some renegade sports fan who bought his own franchise, he's just another bitchy billionaire. He's Bill Gates with a beer belly, a jersey, and (incredibly enough) a worse haircut.

Like I said before, this rivalry is finally good enough to stand on its own merits. But if he keeps this up it's not going to go in the history books with the greats. It's going to be remembered as a media circus where every victory for either team will be tarnished by his constant whining or classless shit talking.

mabber
11-02-2006, 03:41 PM
Cuban's stupid antics did not contribute in any way to more ppl watching NBA.

Don't pretend like he's purposely acting like a clown just because it's good for business.

BULLSHIT. truth is he cannot control his retarded ways when it comes to basketball. He's just a weird guy that let's his emotions get the best of him.

Of course his antics contribute to more people tuning into the games the Mavs are playing. It's pathetic but very true.

I'm not saying that he's purposely acting like a clown. I'm saying that he certainly knows that when he says something negative about the Spurs & San Antonio it only helps the rivalry which is good for the league (which is good for the owners).

I agree that he cannot control himself when it comes to some aspects and, like I mentioned before, I'm not defending him. He's embarrassing at times.

Winnipeg_Spur
11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
Cuban's culture of whining and flat out idiocy was (imo) a contributing factor to one of the biggest chokejobs in the history of the Finals. He even managed to get Avery sucked up into all that crap, who I would say is normally a stand up guy. So if he wants to keep it up, it's fine by me.

ShoogarBear
11-02-2006, 03:51 PM
Cuban's culture of whining and flat out idiocy was (imo) a contributing factor to one of the biggest chokejobs in the history of the Finals. He even managed to get Avery sucked up into all that crap, who I would say is normally a stand up guy. So if he wants to keep it up, it's fine by me.This is what most Mav fans don't get. Their chokejob last year was a direct consequence of Mark Cuban. He instilled that whiny pussy attitude that lead to the collapse.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-02-2006, 03:58 PM
This is what most Mav fans don't get. Their chokejob last year was a direct consequence of Mark Cuban. He instilled that whiny pussy attitude that lead to the collapse.

The refs treating Wade like a china doll was also the sort of thing he was lobbying for for years, too.

ShoogarBear
11-02-2006, 04:00 PM
Yeah, but you know what? Even with that the Mavs had a 2-0 advantage and a 13 point lead with 6 minutes left in game 3. It didn't matter what the refs were doing; it mattered what was going on in their tiny Cuban-influenced minds.

In retrospect, we shouldn't have been surprised, as they were only one Manu brainfart away from doing the choke earlier. Damn, just think, if they had lost game 7, it would have destroyed Dallas forever. They would have had to tear it all down and start again.

mabber
11-02-2006, 04:03 PM
This is what most Mav fans don't get. Their chokejob last year was a direct consequence of Mark Cuban. He instilled that whiny pussy attitude that lead to the collapse.

I don't know what's more pathetic, Cuban's antics or Spur's fans complaining and whining about them as much as they do :lol

Cuban must get more talk/play in San Antonio than he does in Dallas.

mabber
11-02-2006, 04:08 PM
The refs treating Wade like a china doll was also the sort of thing he was lobbying for for years, too.

Yep, kinda came back to bite him in his ass.

ShoogarBear
11-02-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't know what's more pathetic, I can agree with that.

dbreiden83080
11-02-2006, 04:24 PM
I don't know what's more pathetic, Cuban's antics or Spur's fans complaining and whining about them as much as they do :lol

Spurs do whine i admit that but the league looks like they are really cracking down on it this year with all the T's they are calling. So i guess the Refs will now just make bad calls and not have to hear about it. Some of the Mavs players must really hate Cuban always running his mouth like this. The Mavs respect the Spurs and vice versa so you don't need this kind of bulletin board material to further fuel the rivalry. Cuban needs to shut up for once, lets his coaches coach and his players play.

CubanMustGo
11-02-2006, 04:47 PM

What do you expect with everyone in D/FW drinking the Cuban Cool-aid?

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Nice article by Ellis. Remember Dale Ellis? That guy could shoot the 3.

ShoogarBear
11-02-2006, 04:52 PM
Almost as good as Louie Dampier. You know, Erick's dad?

Trainwreck2100
11-02-2006, 04:53 PM
Nice article by Ellis. Remember Dale Ellis? That guy could shoot the 3.

Dale Ellis was a baaaaaad man

mabber
11-02-2006, 05:00 PM
What do you expect with everyone in D/FW drinking the Cuban Cool-aid?

Nah, we've just learned to ignore him.

mabber
11-02-2006, 05:01 PM
Spurs do whine i admit that but the league looks like they are really cracking down on it this year with all the T's they are calling. So i guess the Refs will now just make bad calls and not have to hear about it. Some of the Mavs players must really hate Cuban always running his mouth like this. The Mavs respect the Spurs and vice versa so you don't need this kind of bulletin board material to further fuel the rivalry. Cuban needs to shut up for once, lets his coaches coach and his players play.

Hopefully, since Dirk called him out on his BS after the season he'll tone down. I won't be counting on that though.

Obstructed_View
11-02-2006, 06:20 PM
It's funny that after Cuban's first full season as owner, the Spurs missed a chance at the Finals due to a flagrant foul by a Maverick, but Cuban complains about Spurs players being dirty? Please.

Cuban puts the Loser in Sore Loser.