PDA

View Full Version : Grilz waive Outlaw, raising a question

ShoogarBear
11-01-2004, 07:54 PM
Who would you rather have, Outlaw or Massenberg? I guess Tony can actually defend the big centers, but I would be tempted.

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) -- The Memphis Grizzlies waived veteran forward Bo Outlaw and guard Troy Bell on Monday.

Andre Emmett, Ryan Humphrey and Antonio Burks were placed on the injured list.

The Grizzlies open their season Wednesday at the new FedExForum against the Washington Wizards.

Outlaw, an 11-year NBA veteran, averaged 4.6 points, 4.2 rebounds and 1.1 assists in 19.6 minutes a game last season. He played in all 82 games.

Outlaw came to the Grizzlies in a trade with Phoenix in September 2003.

Bell played six games with Memphis last season, averaging 1.8 points in 5.6 minutes.

He was selected by the Boston Celtics as the 16th overall pick in the 2003 draft before his rights were traded to Memphis.

Link (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/basketball/nba/11/01/bc.bkn.grizzliesmoves.ap/index.html)

whottt
11-01-2004, 07:55 PM
I rather have Outlaw. But I can live with Massenburg.

timvp
11-01-2004, 07:57 PM
I'd keep Massenburg but I'd take Outlaw over Marks.

To those who read, I said that Troy Bell was going to be the flop of last year's first round (along with Dahntay Jones). Can you believe West waisted a number 16 and a number 20 pick on those two scrubs? There were a number of quality picks still left on the board.

T Park
11-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Id sign Bo Outlaw in a new york minute.

Cut whoever to make it work.

Bo Outlaw would be great to be the 12th man.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-01-2004, 08:17 PM
Sean Marks gets hurt reading the paper in the morning, cut him and grab Bo Outlaw. NOW.

Ginobilly
11-01-2004, 08:28 PM
Bo Outlaw. He will be right at home in SA. Didn't he grew up in East San Antonio?

mattyc
11-01-2004, 08:38 PM
He would make free-throws fun again. :spin

Marcus Bryant
11-01-2004, 08:47 PM
Time to replace the Tall Black with a tall...er, um....nevermind.

But yes, sign him up.

Brodels
11-01-2004, 08:48 PM
Eh. Outlaw and Massenburg are the same type of player. Marks is a little bit of a project, but considering that we're talking about an end-of-the-bench player, I'd rather give Marks the opportunity to do something this season.

SequSpur
11-01-2004, 09:19 PM
Outlaw > Rasho.

TheWriter
11-01-2004, 09:29 PM
Bo grow up on the east side and still lives in SA during the offseason.

SequSpur
11-01-2004, 09:33 PM
East side? Dude went to John Jay on the Southwest side.

TheWriter
11-01-2004, 09:34 PM
Um.. dude grew up on the East side.

slayermin
11-01-2004, 09:35 PM
I went to middle school with him at Anson Jones.

He played exactly the same way in 7th grade. He couldn't shoot unless he was laying it up.

SequSpur
11-01-2004, 09:43 PM
Anson Jones and John Jay are on the Southwest side. Marbach and Pinn Rd. Just because he is a brotha doesn't mean he lived on the East side.

:lol

TheWriter
11-01-2004, 09:48 PM
Anson Jones and John Jay are on the Southwest side. Marbach and Pinn Rd. Just because he is a brotha doesn't mean he lived on the East side.

:lol

Or maybe the fact in an interview last season during the playoffs against Memphis he stated himself that he grew up in the eastside and that the Eastside is alot like Chicago's Southside but it doesn't have the same reputation. He also stated he lives in San Antonio with his Mom in the offseason.

infinite styles
11-01-2004, 10:18 PM
Bo grew up in the Jay area but he has a grip of family that lives on the east side. I used to go and watch them play when they went to state, only to see them get bitch slapped by duncanville in the Final. I think it was Ostertag who got about 50 on him. But anyways I'm goin with my fellow alumni, sign him up quick. He's a great fit.....work horse on the defensive end, strong rebounder and a bad free throw shooter.....I mean what more could Pop ask for. Go Mustangs!!!! :fro

RobinsontoDuncan
11-01-2004, 10:19 PM
i gott drop him off my fantsy team now

ShoogarBear
11-01-2004, 10:47 PM
Sean Marks gets hurt reading the paper in the morning, cut him and grab Bo Outlaw.

Boy, he'd really get hurt if he read he was getting cut in the morning paper.

Hey, how can I go back and edit the thread subject from "Grilz" to "Griz"?

ChumpDumper
11-01-2004, 11:13 PM
Keeping Humphries over Outlaw is insanity. West is losing it -- he just threw away a prime trading chip.

Notorious H.O.P.
11-02-2004, 12:22 AM
Between the three of them, none of them have really done much. Outlaw has better defensive numbers on a per minute basis than both Marks and Massenburg and his hustle and heart have rarely been questioned. He does however have his infamously atrocious free throw percentage. But of course, Mass and Marks aren't too hot from behind the line either. Marks has his height advantage but he hasn't gotten the chance to prove if he can stay healthy enough to make it onto the court. He also has the advantage of having worked in the Spurs system for the past year. If it wasn't for his durability concerns, this would be a no brainer. At this stage of the game, I think Outlaw is a good fit for the Spurs but I think they consider Massenburg to the the enforcer they need in the post and feel that they've made a commitment to Marks that should not be undone. Love it or hate it, barring some type of undeniable upgrade in the frontcourt rotation that falls in the Spurs lap, our big man rotation is set.

Solid D
11-02-2004, 12:36 AM
Outlaw plays either Forward position and actually defends a lot of opposing 3s. He's more of a SF without the shooting from the wing that most teams like to have.

He is that "Long 3" (without the shot) that we all were calling for when the Spurs picked up LJ3. Bo Outlaw is a terrific defender and he would add one dimension that the Spurs have never really had since the likes of Alvin Robertson...someone who can effectively press. He creates tremendous havoc pressuring the ball, particularly in the backcourt behind the timeline, and his long arms and perpetual tenacity would be a tremendous asset when the Spurs need to change the face of the game.

He'll have to clear waivers but I'll bet you a v-dollar to a v-donut that Pop is thinking hard about Bo.

ShoogarBear
11-02-2004, 12:43 AM
I agree. You think that at the end of a game, needing a stop, Pop wouldn't love to have the option of having both Bo and Bruce out on the court?

Ginobilly
11-02-2004, 01:31 AM
Or maybe the fact in an interview last season during the playoffs against Memphis he stated himself that he grew up in the eastside and that the Eastside is alot like Chicago's Southside but it doesn't have the same reputation. He also stated he lives in San Antonio with his Mom in the offseason.

Yeah I heard that too. The east side is where all the ballas are at. :hat

SenorSpur
11-02-2004, 03:01 AM
Bo would be a perfect addition to our defensive-minded club. With him, Bowen and Linton Johnson III, Pop would have multiple matchup options for shutting down opposing 2's, 3's and 4's. His offensive liabilities wouldn't be an issue.

MI21
11-02-2004, 07:17 AM
As has been said, Bo could be an answer to opposing "long 3's".

I'd like to think that Pop is taking a long hard look at Bo.

Brodels
11-02-2004, 08:37 AM
Who would you drop to make it happen? Massenburg? At least he can play some center when needed. Outlaw isn't going to add any size.

I think you'd have to give up on Lint or Sato, and I don't want to do that.

And if you consider him to be a small forward, it would give us the most offensively-challenged offensive small forward lineup in history: Bowen, Lint, and Bo.

The Spurs have two swing defenders in Lint and Bruce. Manu is a pretty good defender. Up front, Rasho and Duncan can defend. Rose is a solid defender.

I'm pretty happy with the mix between offense and defense that we currently have. The Spurs have enough defensive-minded players. They can shut down teams when necessary.

Scoring is the only issue that could hurt this team, and Bo isn't going to solve any offensive problems. He can only create them.

Solid D
11-02-2004, 09:11 AM
Brodels - good arguments and sentiments. If I am in Pop's shoes, which I'm not, I go with improving the team. LJ3 is 3-4 weeks away from being available, maybe. Sato is a small swingman with tremendous athletic ability but not a very good shooting touch.

If Outlaw clears waivers and is available at a price that won't give Holt acid reflux, you replace Sato with Outlaw and send Romain to Paris Basket Racing, the Spurs' new developmental club. :hat

The Spurs would have then replaced a 6-3 1/2 athlete with a 6-8 guy. Devin Brown then gets a few more 2-guard minutes and Outlaw gets some of the backup SF minutes, particularly when the Spurs lose control of things and are in need of taking over the tempo of the game. Wilks would have to come off the active roster but it would be a serious upgrade in bench strength.

That is ALL predicated on monies available and contractual flexibility (commitments) with the players involved.

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2004, 10:20 AM
Replace Marks with Outlaw. This Spurs team needs as much muscle as it can muster.

Solid D
11-02-2004, 10:30 AM
Outlaw just does "stuff". He's like Gino - he makes stuff happen, usually for the good. He creates lots of turnovers, bad shots, transition buckets and his FG% is surprisingly good...not because of his shooting touch but because of the opportunities he creates for himself. I think he's something like 4th among active players on FG%.

Marcus Bryant
11-02-2004, 10:32 AM
Good points.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2004, 10:36 AM
If we don't sign him, some other contender will. He was definitely overpaid but he'll be another bargain at the minimum. I like Marks but Massenburg's scoring touch is making him redundant.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-02-2004, 11:43 AM
massenburg, he has that enforcer persona that we need

boutons
11-02-2004, 01:03 PM
fuck his persona, if he ain't pulling down rebounds commensurate with his height, getting a couple putbacks, and generally screwing up the Spurs' paint, he stays on the bench.

In pre-season, the guy was a foul-a-minute machine, and they weren't intimidation/payback/tactical fouls, just klutz fouls.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-02-2004, 01:30 PM
I'd replace Marks with him.

Look, you've gotta look at history. Outlaw's been a contributor wherever he goes. He's not a gamebreaker, but he's one of those guys who doesn't mistakes and always makes the little plays that go into winning happen.

In Marks, we have a guy who got hurt last season, and turned around and got hurt again this preseason.

This seems like a no brainer to me, and the marketing folks would be absolutely giddy about getting another home grown boy on the roster of the only show in town.

Solid D
11-02-2004, 02:50 PM
if he ain't pulling down rebounds commensurate with his height, getting a couple putbacks, and generally screwing up the Spurs' paint, he stays on the bench.

In pre-season, the guy was a foul-a-minute machine, and they weren't intimidation/payback/tactical fouls, just klutz fouls.

Did you see any of the games? Also, that's a separate question from: "Did you attend any games?". Okay, I'm just playin' with you a bit. I'll agree with you that Mass did foul plenty, but he basically won one of the games for the Spurs and strongly influenced the outcome of another win. He took it upon himself to step up when they really needed someone to step up.

ducks
11-02-2004, 03:44 PM
why would the great west cut him if he was so great
is west overrated?

is bo creating chemistry problems?

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-02-2004, 03:59 PM
Where's Jerry going to play him? He's already got a problem at the 5spot with Swift and Wright, trying to figure their playing time.

He's got Gasol and Cardinal at the 4, and Posey and Battier at the 3.

No PT for Bo, and the owners probably didn't want to be on the hook for Bo's salary all year.

ducks
11-02-2004, 04:00 PM
trade him then

boutons
11-02-2004, 04:04 PM
I saw the open scrimmage, @Hou/Laredo on TV, and vs. SEA.

As I've said before, Massenburg has impressed me vs his record of 12 previous NBA teams that let him go. I don't see him as that "tough" or brutal or dirty or scary, but the high foul rate is not welcome given that he will get limited minutes if the upper guys stay healthy.

Maybe some chemistry withe Spurs org will allow him to contribute more here than he has elsewhere.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2004, 04:29 PM
he high foul rate is not welcome given that he will get limited minutes if the upper guys stay healthy. bouton is French for self-contradiction.

samikeyp
11-02-2004, 04:59 PM
Bo did go to Jones and Jay. Maybe he lived on the East Side then moved into that district.

Notorious H.O.P.
11-02-2004, 06:47 PM
What was his salary for this year? I'd imagine if it wasn't too much, someone might claim him off waivers. He definitely still had the ability to make solid contributions off the bench. Maybe he'll go to the Heat. It seems like the Heat come up as a possibility for every guy with size that is bought out, waived or nearly murdered by their previous teams.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2004, 07:41 PM
No one will claim his salary: it's over $5 million if I remember correctly. Other teams will pay him 1/10 of that and let the league and the Grizz pay for the rest.

boutons
11-02-2004, 07:45 PM
chumpdumper got shit for brains and specializes in content-free ad hominem posts.

Brodels
11-02-2004, 07:54 PM
trade him then

He really wasn't tradeable at that salary.