PDA

View Full Version : Mavs 2006-2007 > or < Mavs 2005-2006

Mavs<Spurs
11-02-2006, 11:23 AM
I hope that this is not a repeat of a previous thread.

But, I wondered what others opinions of this matter are.

Do you think this year's Mavericks or last year's Mavericks are better?

Discuss.

thispego
11-02-2006, 11:26 AM
Mavs from o5-06 we watched play for a whole season, Mavs of 06-07 havent played a game yet, ask again in june

coopdogg3
11-02-2006, 11:28 AM
I hope that this is not a repeat of a previous thread.

But, I wondered what others opinions of this matter are.

Do you think this year's Mavericks or last year's Mavericks are better?

Discuss.

Without absolutely no proof or numbers whatsoever to go on. I think last years Mavs were better. I just get the sense that the Mavs took their best shot. And missed.

Mavs<Spurs
11-02-2006, 11:32 AM
Mavs from o5-06 we watched play for a whole season, Mavs of 06-07 havent played a game yet, ask again in june

Well, then it might be more a matter of fact, although not necessarily so.
Still we could just judge by results.

Switched Adrian Griffin for Greg Buckner, added Austin Crozier, lost Marquis Daniels, Keith Van Horn,

still have low blow, Nowinski, baseline still coaching,

Part of the fun is that now it is just conjecture about the possibilities.

Make a conjecture.

My conjecture, Mavericks, take a step back. They added talent. However, many of their important players lack character. I feel they overachieved last year and were taken for granted.

:rolleyes

Mr. Body
11-02-2006, 11:34 AM
Better on paper.

Mavs<Spurs
11-02-2006, 11:35 AM
Without absolutely no proof or numbers whatsoever to go on. I think last years Mavs were better. I just get the sense that the Mavs took their best shot. And missed.

agreed.

And in this particular case, I think that the fact that most of their key guys are fundamentally evil people was a factor in their meltdown.

:fro

Mavs<Spurs
11-02-2006, 11:50 AM
I am thinking of the end of the season for these predictions/opinions.

Mavs are probably the third best team in the west at the end of the day (end of the season) if Yao and TMac stay healthy throughout the season.
Spurs best team in the West.
Rockets (presuming health of Yao and TMac is good) are second best.
Mavs are third.

Cavs probably the best team in the East.
Bulls second best team in the East.
Orlando could be third due to Dwight Howard.

A few other good teams in the East, but none of the others are elite.

Other also rans: Clippers, Suns, Heat, Wizzards, Pistons.

:fro

mavsfan1000
11-02-2006, 01:09 PM
This years mavs are slightly better. That is if the chemistry gels well. Stackhouse and Dampier getting a year older doesn't help though.

Mavs<Spurs
11-02-2006, 01:13 PM
This years mavs are slightly better. That is if the chemistry gels well. Stackhouse and Dampier getting a year older doesn't help though.

I probably agree with you and Mr. Body that on paper, this years mavs are better.

Austin Crozier is a major improvement over Keith Van Horn and I actually have a high opinion of Anthony Johnson as a point guard back up.

But, it is harder to stay at the top than to surprise teams and get there once.

Joepa
11-02-2006, 01:29 PM
They do look better on paper, but I think Stack takes a step back this year. I don't think you'll see much of a dropoff as this is an AJ coached team, but they may lose a few more games than last year.

mabber
11-02-2006, 01:50 PM
Better on paper and that's all you got to go on at this point. I think they'll be a better team if they don't have any major injuries to key players. They're just waiting for the playoffs...just like the Spurs. Motivation won't be a factor with Avery as coach.

It appears from what I've seen & read that Josh Howard has taken another step forward in his progression. If that's true, then I don't see the Mavs taking a step back. Regardless, I think the Mavs & Spurs are fairly equal and either team can come out of the west. The Spurs have the best player in Duncan but the Mavs have more quality depth and are younger for what that's worth.

Shank
11-02-2006, 02:29 PM
Better and deeper.

Kori Ellis
11-02-2006, 02:30 PM
They should be better this year. They added some nice pieces and didn't lose anyone of significance. Their younger players are on the upswing.

Bruno
11-02-2006, 02:41 PM
Slighty better : they have only changed the end of their bench and I don't think that Dallas' newcomers will make a big impact.
Spurs will too be a slighty better team when they will face Dallas. A Dallas/Spurs playoff should be great like the last year one.

ducks
11-02-2006, 02:44 PM
aj did not like daniels
got rid of him
would not play him anyhow

can dirk play anybetter then last year

mabber
11-02-2006, 02:56 PM
Slighty better : they have only changed the end of their bench and I don't think that Dallas' newcomers will make a big impact.
Spurs will too be a slighty better team when they will face Dallas. A Dallas/Spurs playoff should be great like the last year one.

Greg Buckner is starting at the 2 tonight and Anthony Johnson will play significant minutes so they've changed more than just the end of their bench. For good or bad, the changes the Mavs made will have a big impact on how they do this season.

Yeah, I'm looking foward to another Mavs/Spurs playoff series.

Bruno
11-02-2006, 03:19 PM
Greg Buckner is starting at the 2 tonight and Anthony Johnson will play significant minutes so they've changed more than just the end of their bench.

If Avery decides to use Buckner and Johnson instead of Harris, Terry and Stackhouse , it will be a nice gift for the opponents.
Just do the minute breakdown and you will see that Buckner/Johnson/Ager/George will play something like 15 mpg combined in playoffs.

mabber
11-02-2006, 03:48 PM
If Avery decides to use Buckner and Johnson instead of Harris, Terry and Stackhouse , it will be a nice gift for the opponents.
Just do the minute breakdown and you will see that Buckner/Johnson/Ager/George will play something like 15 mpg combined in playoffs.

I don't see Buckner & Johnson being in the game at the same time very often. I see Buckner, Johnson and George combining for at least 30 mpg in the playoffs.

I expect the mpg for those 3 players to be closer to 45 in the regular season.
Johnson getting around 20, Buckner 15 and George 10.

Bruno
11-02-2006, 04:05 PM
I see Buckner, Johnson and George combining for at least 30 mpg in the playoffs.

I don't see how you can give them 30 mpg without cutting playtime to better players (Terry, Howard, Stackhouse and Harris). The only way to find 30 mpg for them is to use Howard or George at PF and Im' not sure that it's a good solution.

mabber
11-02-2006, 04:19 PM
I don't see how you can give them 30 mpg without cutting playtime to better players (Terry, Howard, Stackhouse and Harris). The only way to find 30 mpg for them is to use Howard or George at PF and Im' not sure that it's a good solution.

I'm just going by what I've read. They're saying those 3 will get about 48 minutes per game combined in the regular season. I'm guessing that # to drop to around 30 in the playoffs. Whether it's the right thing to do or not is just speculation at this point. I have no idea until I see how the new guys fit in.

I do know that they want to reduce Dirk's minutes by about 2 mpg and keep Josh & Jet around 30-32 mpg (which is a reduction) to keep them fresher for the playoffs. The two question marks to me are the minutes of Stack & Harris. They're speculating 24 for Stack and 22 for Harris. I can see Harris playing 30+ mpg if he plays well. Stack's minutes will probably vary widely based on how he's playing at the time. He's very streaky as you probably know.

Bruno
11-02-2006, 04:36 PM
Whether it's the right thing to do or not is just speculation at this point. I have no idea until I see how the new guys fit in.

It's not just speculation : Buckner, Johnson and George are known quantity. They will be usefull in the regular or if somebody is injured but I don't see them having a big impact in a playoff serie against Spurs

dirk4mvp
11-02-2006, 04:40 PM
Just look and see which team had KVH.

dirk4mvp
11-02-2006, 04:41 PM
can dirk play anybetter then last year

imo, I think he'll keep getting better for 2-3 more years, then coast at the same level until he's about 34-35, then go on a steady decline.

Bruno
11-02-2006, 04:46 PM
Just look and see which team had KVH.

http://www.nba.com/media/act_austin_croshere.jpg

:elephant KVH 2.0 :elephant

dirk4mvp
11-02-2006, 04:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_austin_croshere.jpg

:elephant KVH 2.0 :elephant

No, not by far. The closest thing to KVH would be

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/chris_mannix/06/02/heat.pistons/t1_walker.jpg