PDA

View Full Version : Elson >>>>> (Rasho+Nazr)*1000

nkdlunch
11-02-2006, 09:36 PM
at least we will have a better chance at beating the Mavs than last year. Elson can guard Dirk too

ATX Spur
11-02-2006, 09:36 PM
:tu

SequSpur
11-02-2006, 09:37 PM
Nazr = Championship.

T Park
11-02-2006, 09:43 PM
Sequ = retardation

nkdlunch
11-02-2006, 10:16 PM
:fro

50 cent
Hell yeah, Elson looks damn good tonight.

What you think of that Timvp?

MarCowMar
FRICKIN ELSON IS KILLING!

:devil

Buddy Holly
If this is Elson... my god.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-02-2006, 10:17 PM
sequ of the corn = elson

picnroll
11-02-2006, 10:17 PM
Elson is looking like the best center since DRob by a loooooonnnngggggg shot.

sprrs
11-02-2006, 10:19 PM
I had my doubts about Elson, but watching the Spurs play traditional defense again, and havng it be succesful, almost brought a tear to my eye. Plus he's got some emotion, something we were sorely missing from our centers. If he keeps improving in the Spurs system, they'll have no problem beating the Mavericks.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-02-2006, 10:24 PM
^^emotion is a bad thing if you can't even smile and yell that you just made a bad ass dunk

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-02-2006, 10:26 PM
im going to need a bigger bandwagon :smokin

sprrs
11-02-2006, 10:42 PM
^^emotion is a bad thing if you can't even smile and yell that you just made a bad ass dunk

True, but I'm hoping the refs will cool down as the season wears on.

ChumpDumper
11-02-2006, 10:45 PM
Run, 'Cisco, run. Dude doesn't seem to tire easily.

Mr. Body
11-02-2006, 10:45 PM
I ordered crow on my pizza tonight and they just said, "oh yeah, Elson, huh?" Crow never tasted so good.

Louie Vega
11-02-2006, 10:51 PM
The dude's good. For his first game to get thrown into the fire and respond the way he has? The dude's money!

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-02-2006, 10:53 PM
well one Frankie, i knew it wouldnt take long to make an impression :smokin

MannyIsGod
11-02-2006, 10:55 PM
Well, I'm very impressed, BUT lets see if this keeps up. We've all seen our previous centers have big games before.

jn77
11-02-2006, 10:56 PM
really liked Elson's Play tonight! I am looking forward to his play this year.

SA210
11-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Way to go Elson.

missmyzte
11-02-2006, 10:57 PM
Hell yeah, I love this guy.

Fabbs
11-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Anybody got that stat?

You small baller advocates can eat crap. That includes you Pop.

1Parker1
11-02-2006, 10:58 PM
Above all else....I loved Elson's enthusiam when he's on the floor. He's very active, something which Rasho and Nazr were sorely lacking.

Now I can't wait to see Jackie Butler in action :smokin

50 cent
11-02-2006, 10:59 PM
Ready for you to dig into. :smokin

http://www.rci.rutgers.edu/~insects/deadcrow.gif

boutons_
Elson is very light on his feet, seems to move around as effortlessly as much a smaller man. Hot damn, what a great surprise he is to open the season.

judaspriestess
very impressive.... another diamond in the rough?

Samr
11-02-2006, 11:00 PM
*casually reminds crowd that he liked the Elson signing from the start*

Elson is the first Spurs center to dunk the ball in two seasons.

I forgot they were even allowed to do that.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-02-2006, 11:00 PM
timvp is a basketball god in terms of all basketball related IQ theories and abstracts. Whatever he says about franny, I agree :tu

Buddy Holly
11-02-2006, 11:01 PM
Jesus, it's been so long since a Spurs center took it to the rim hard and dunked instead of pump faking or just laying it up.

El_Mago
Get ready to hear:

1 game....

Let's see if he can keep it up.....

I never said Elson was not athletic...

Blah Blah Blah....

Elson can move his feet, gained a lot of confidence tonight, looks determined, going to get a lot of looks from the fast breaks, and brings intensity and hustle.....

Borosai
I think the most impressive thing about him is not that he's athletic (which he is) but that he doesn't give a shit whether he gets blocked or not, he's going for the dunk...gotta love that, and it's more exciting than what we've had before...fuck the techs, his energy is great, and hopefully it's contagious.

dirk4mvp
11-02-2006, 11:02 PM
he played a great game.

I'm not trying to put him down, put was just one game. Keep it up and we'll see.

baseline bum
Spurs_title = Elson > ((Rasho + Nazr) << 1) ? 1:0;

Buddy Holly
In LJ's defense, if Elson keeps this up, NO ONE can predict what a player will do on a new team.

boutons_
11-02-2006, 11:03 PM
Tim needs to stop his layin shit, and take it up strong, powering those big shoulders in the defender to push him under the basket.

Remember his misssed lay in in Game5 @DET?

Buddy Holly
he played a great game.

I'm not trying to put him down, put was just one game. Keep it up and we'll see.

I guess you missed that last preseason game when we beat... who again?

NorCal510
elson is a beeeeast

SPURS21
11-02-2006, 11:05 PM
Reminded me alot of Keon Clarke when he played for the Raps...athleticism, good hands, goes to the rack hard

BeerIsGood!
11-02-2006, 11:06 PM
In LJ's defense, if Elson keeps this up, NO ONE can predict what a player will do on a new team.

Sometimes you just need a team to have confidence in you and let you play your game. Playing along Timmy and with great ball handlers like TP and Manu allows Elson to really play a style he's comfortable with. Rasho and Nazr were never comfortable in this system - it appears the Spurs have found someone who is comfortable and can be productive in the system. Remember - this isn't some scrub team he showed up big against, it was dirk and a very good mavs team.

21Spurs20
I was VERY impressed.

samikeyp
So far, so good.

samikeyp
11-02-2006, 11:09 PM
1 game....

Let's see if he can keep it up.....

I agree. I liked the signing and I think he will do well but it was still one game. Here is to many more! :toast

I also know that if timvp is proved wrong by Elson...no one will be happier than timvp because it will mean the Spurs are doing well.

ChumpDumper
LJ will enjoy merging all these Elson threads.

dirk4mvp
I guess you missed that last preseason game when we beat... who again?

You're right. And with that w, yall have alreay sealed up the western conf.

Guru of Nothing
I think LJ should just STFU and keep his basketball opinions to himself.

MI21
11-02-2006, 11:10 PM
1 game. Didn't Nazr have 34 in one game last season?

Elson is just as likely to come out and have 2pts 1reb tomorrow night.

Obviously it's exciting to have a center who is fleet footed and can actually jump higher than 5 inches, but people are going to be disappointed if they expect performances like this every game.

BeerIsGood!
I think LJ should just STFU and keep his basketball opinions to himself.

It's a basketball forum.

gameFACE
I loved seeing Elson and Timmy guarding the post. That was pretty cool to see again - two 7 footers. The two blocked shots were nice. Good to see him take the challenge. I know it's only one game but I still give him major props tonight. Keep it up.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-02-2006, 11:11 PM
:jack :jack :jack

hey man if i were a skinny tall white guy who decided to play volleyball instead of a real sport i'd say the same thing...it's called sarcasm you dumbshit

nkdlunch
?????

Timvp please tell me mouse stole your password and posted this....

Francisco Elson is not an NBA starting center. Actually, I’m not sure he’s an NBDL starting center. The quicker Pop goes with Jackie Butler, the better off the Spurs will be.

Obviously, Butler will have to do his part. He needs to learn how to score and rebound next to Duncan without getting in his way. If Butler can learn to become a role-player with good basketball instincts, he’s going to be a great signing. If Elson is starting come April, the Spurs are doomed. :drunk

:lol

Buddy Holly
1 game. Didn't Nazr have 34 in one game last season?

Elson is just as likely to come out and have 2pts 1reb tomorrow night.

Obviously it's exciting to have a center who is fleet footed and can actually jump higher than 5 inches, but people are going to be disappointed if they expect performances like this every game.

It wasn't his point scoring that is making the boards repeatedly post about him.

Did you watch the game?

Nero
11-02-2006, 11:12 PM
I just hope Pop doesn't put him in the dogouse at some point and destroy his confidence/enthusiasm.

MI21
11-02-2006, 11:12 PM
Sean Marks had a few good games last season. There was even a game against Charlotte in 2005 where he had a couple of dunks and an Alley-oop.

For the Spurs sake I hope Elson can keep this play up, but people are seriously getting carried away.

nkdlunch
11-02-2006, 11:14 PM
Sean Marks had a few good games last season. There was even a game against Charlotte in 2005 where he had a couple of dunks and an Alley-oop.

For the Spurs sake I hope Elson can keep this play up, but people are seriously getting carried away.

Are you seriously comparing playing the HOrnets to playing Mavs at their house and in obviously playoff atmosphere???

I am not saying we won the championship, but we finally have a decent center!!!!

Guru of Nothing
11-02-2006, 11:15 PM
It's a basketball forum.

I've got a really funny reply, but I'm gonna keep it to myself.

Go Spurs Go!!!

ploto
11-02-2006, 11:16 PM
See what he does with Z Friday night before you get too carried away. Nazr had an amazing game against Phoenix in March and we never saw that guy again.

Buddy Holly
11-02-2006, 11:16 PM
Against our arch rival, in a playoff atmosphere, on a new team... Sean Marks would have done what Elson did out there tonight?

Where's that jerkoff smiley?

ducks
11-02-2006, 11:17 PM
if you look at the spurs unite thread
he was rooting for elson tonight

regio
11-02-2006, 11:17 PM
Now I can't wait to see Jackie Butler in action :smokin

I didnt get to watch the game, but I saw the stats in nba.com and Jackie Butler didnt play. What happened to him??

MI21
11-02-2006, 11:18 PM
I saw the last 3 quarters. I know why everyone is posting about him. He was quick, had decent position, matched up on Dirk pretty well and dunked the ball etc..

I just hate seeing Spurs fans act like Laker fans and getting all hyped up over one game. Laker fans think Andrew Bynum is the next Hakeem after his effort against Phoenix, but were made to look silly after his game against Golden State. People are talking about Elson like he is the 2nd coming of Jesus.

Anyway, I don't want to be the negative so I'll just leave it be. Great game Elson, something unique from a big guy that the Spurs fans haven't seen for a while.

Fuck the Mavs also. All is right in the world when they are losing to the Spurs :)

LilMissSPURfect
11-02-2006, 11:20 PM
got my vote

JamStone
11-02-2006, 11:22 PM
This is no good at all for Spurs fans who expected Jackie Butler to be the starting center and the second coming of Artis Gilmore.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-02-2006, 11:24 PM
yeah you had to watch the game. He definitely doesn't look like he had a fluke game, like Nazr had against the D - LESS, Centerless SUNS

We're just happy because it's been so long since we had an aggressive person in the 5 spot. Nazr would show signs, but his butterfingers and mental game wasn't so good. Rasho was just a timid player who was good at help D but that's about it. So far Elson looks promising and we hope he can be a solid starting center for us.

spurs_in_7
Elson,new fan favorite?

wait to february and ask again

JamStone
He's still a ball-grabber, just like Reggie Evans.

Ball-grabber.

Rick Von Braun
11-02-2006, 11:25 PM
I've got a really funny reply, but I'm gonna keep it to myself.

Go Spurs Go!!!

:lmao

SenorSpur
It was wonderful to see him being very aggressive, running the floor, rebounding and playing defense. I don't ever recall seeing him this productive in Denver. Of course, he didn't get the extensive minutes that he's going to get here.

It shouldn't be long before he moves into the starting lineup.

dknights411
So all that bitching and moaning for the past 5 months is over now, huh?
;)

The Spurs are BACK!!!

jmard5
11-02-2006, 11:27 PM
I like the acquisition. But it is just one game. Looking forward for more. =)

MarCowMar
11-02-2006, 11:33 PM
For those saying there is too much overreaction here, weren't you watching the game? Elson was hoofing it down the court every time (very Wallace-like) and could have had another 6 points if his teammates were looking for him. It's amazing how often he's seen standing open underneath the hoop. He guarded Dirk as effectively as we could hope for. He has a few post moves but most of all he looks confident and aggressive and will dunk without overthinking it.

There is good reason to be happy. Hopefully he keeps this up!

boutons_
11-02-2006, 11:34 PM
Pop pulled Robert and played Elson all through the last 4 minutes.

whottt
Elson just dished out one of the great player ownings of a poster in SpursTalk history...

It'll be interesting to see how TimVP handles this...

Let's face it...getting owned like Elson owned TimVP tonight is what we all secretly dread happening to us on this board...and now it's happened to one of the all time Great Spurs Talk talent evaluators...

Yes I know TimVP will be happy Elson is is playing like this...because he is a Spursfan and loves championships like the rest of us...And he did put Elson in his avatar...but still, he put a lot of strong words out there...and Elson fed them back to him to the last crumb tonight.

When you get owned this badly it can shatter your confidence in your second guessing abilities and make you loathe to throw your opinion out there without hedging. It truly is a situation of conflicting emotions...

Anyway...

I am going to be taking notes to see how a master handles defeat...just in the extremely unlikely event that this kind of owning should ever happen to me. *Shudder*

bigdog
i dont see why Oberto is even on the active roster. move Butler into the active roster. and move Elson to the starting lineup....ive said it all along, Elson should be the starter,hes much quicker then the other big guys on the team,and as much respect for Oberto that i have, I dont see him fitting into the rotation on a regular basis. Elson showed both his physical capabilities,and even somewhat of a post up game. lest see him do it again against the cavs

Cant_Be_Faded
11-02-2006, 11:35 PM
MI21, I am excited about Elson because

1) He has hops
2) He's fast
3) He looks like he enjoys playing the game of basketball

I thought he was a stupid stupid signing but showing me these three things tells me he can be a decent big man in our system. I'm not crowning him Drob Jr and I dont think anyone else is either.

cheguevara
But when you get owned this badly it can shatter your confidence in your second guessing abilities and make you loathe to throw your opinion out there without hedging. It truly is a situation of conflicting emotions...

happened to you a lot huh?

Borosai
And another thing to note...Dallas is a good team. If he had played this well against Phoenix, then it would be another story (read: shitty defense). He held his own and made a lot of Spurs fans happy in the pants again.

MI21
11-02-2006, 11:40 PM
Elson just dished out one of the great player ownings of a poster in SpursTalk history...

Let's face it...getting owned like Elson owned TimVP tonight is what we all secretly dread happening to us on this board...and now it's happened to one of the all time Great Spurs Talk talent evaluators...

Yes I know TimVP will be happy Elson is is playing like this...because he is a Spursfan and loves championships like the rest of us...

But when you get owned this badly it can shatter your confidence in your second guessing abilities and make you loathe to throw your opinion out there without hedging. It truly is a situation of conflicting emotions...

Anyway...

I am going to be taking notes to see how a master handles defeat...just in the extremely unlikely event that this kind of owning should ever happen to me. *Shudder*

whottt
11-02-2006, 11:43 PM
happened to you a lot huh?

Please...this is no time childish smack talking, when a key forum poster has got pwnt. TimVP will need our support to get through this if we ever want him to be the same TimVP again. Can we have a moment of silence please.

ShoogarBear
11-02-2006, 11:44 PM
When you get owned this badly it can shatter your confidence in your second guessing abilities and make you loathe to throw your opinion out there without hedging. It truly is a situation of conflicting emotions...
Not a chance. timvp is the master at recalling what he got right and burying what he got wrong.

I expect he'll bring up the 10-10 start and Mercer getting cut as a warmup.

1Parker1
I didnt get to watch the game, but I saw the stats in nba.com and Jackie Butler didnt play. What happened to him??

Nothing happened to him. Pop just decided not to play him...I think he looks at Butler as a work in Progress so for now it'll be an Oberto/Elson combo as our backups.

Also, Brent Barry didn't play either due to coach's decision. Perhaps Pop was saving Brent for tommorow...

K-State Spur
i dont see why Oberto is even on the active roster. move Butler into the active roster. and move Elson to the starting lineup....ive said it all along, Elson should be the starter,hes much quicker then the other big guys on the team,and as much respect for Oberto that i have, I dont see him fitting into the rotation on a regular basis. Elson showed both his physical capabilities,and even somewhat of a post up game. lest see him do it again against the cavs

I don't see any reason to knock Oberto tonight. He hit a couple of shots, picked up 4 boards (including 2 offensive) and a block in only 16 minutes. And he did an adequate job on Dirk when they were matched up.

Plus, you gotta like Elson's energy coming off the bench. A common complaint has been that when Ginobili is a starter, their isn't any burst of energy coming from the second group. Well, Elson may provide that.

K-State Spur
11-02-2006, 11:46 PM

except for Pop and RC.

T Park
11-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Where were you Mofos in July when I propped this signing.

:)

Kori Ellis
11-02-2006, 11:50 PM
Spurs fans get too excited over one game.

He looked good, but not 5 new threads good.

Dingle Barry
11-02-2006, 11:51 PM
Need to find a spark from someone who isn't one of our top 5 players.

carib
11-02-2006, 11:53 PM
Elson basketball IQ is among the highest for a big man, is basketball awareness is so great.

Kori Ellis
11-02-2006, 11:54 PM
Elson basketball IQ is among the highest for a big man, is basketball awareness is so great.

1Parker1

:lol Just wait till Butler gets minutes and has a good game...expect 10 new threads.

BeerIsGood!
Spurs fans get too excited over one game.

They beat a very good Dallas team in Dallas. That says something - a lot more than an opening night win over the Twolves or Nuggets. This was a big test and he did a good job. It's a game of match ups, and he seems to give the Spurs an ability to match up with teams with quick forwards and centers. That's huge.

spurtime
12 pts, 6 rebs, 2 blks in 26 mins in the 1st game from a guy who many thought would have difficulty cracking the rotation when we signed him.

He deserves 15 threads...

Brutalis
11-02-2006, 11:55 PM
I have to say I am vedyvedy impressed.

Kori Ellis
12 pts, 6 rebs, 2 blks in 26 mins in the 1st game from a guy who many thought would have difficulty cracking the rotation when we signed him.

:lol No one deserves 15 threads.

T Park
Elson?

Anyone else see this?

Postgame show brought this up, and it sounds interesting.

Also mentioned his good D, and that Cisco said "We had no structure defensively in Denver, but here we do, and I like it"

Tek_XX
11-02-2006, 11:56 PM
Yeah it was just one game but he looked like he knew exactly what he was doing out there which many new spurs do not.

1Parker1
11-02-2006, 11:56 PM

:lol Even Manu's infamous 48 point performance against the Suns didn't get 15 threads...

spurtime
11-02-2006, 11:57 PM
:lol No one deserves 15 threads.

No one except you, Kori.
:downspin:

whottt
11-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Not a chance. timvp is the master at recalling what he got right and burying what he got wrong.

I expect he'll bring up the 10-10 start and Mercer getting cut as a warmup.

That'd be a pretty good strategy...but I guess that is what makes this so interesting...I mean, seeing what a poster of TimVP's caliber will come up with when faced with an IceColdBrewski or Sequ level PWNAGE...

I do think on some level he sensed an impending crow dinner after the last game and like an experienced veteran, came up with the SpursfanUnite thread as a last second hedge..

If I were in his shoes I would immediately refer back to the SpursfanUnite thread...and maybe throw the, "my fantasy hoops team is whipping the crap out of every one right now" card, and hope someone bites on the diversion.

We'll see what he does.

timvp
11-03-2006, 12:21 AM

Yes I know TimVP will be happy Elson is is playing like this...because he is a Spursfan and loves championships like the rest of us...And he did put Elson in his avatar...but still, he put a lot of strong words out there...and Elson fed them back to him to the last crumb tonight.

Anyway...

I could have pulled a whottt. You know, disappear when you get owned. The going got tough when whottt was the number one Brent Barry supporter and instead of taking the challenge head on, he vanished from the board.

P.S.

Nice to see Barry play well tonight.

:hat

timvp
11-03-2006, 12:23 AM
But seriously, I got owned and whottt is right. If Elson keeps this up, it will be a huge ownage.

Props to whottt for noticing the level of ownage that has been brought upon timvp.

MannyIsGod
11-03-2006, 12:32 AM
Yeah, we'll see how things are after a few more games. I'm happy, but I'm not ready to declare Elson baby Hakeem Part II.

Spurminator
11-03-2006, 12:42 AM

You know what Elson looked like to me? Someone who deserves getting paid to play basketball. It's a testament to the lack of talent we've had at the five that a performance like tonight's merits such excitement.

I'll reserve some of my judgment till at least December, but I'm definitely glad we've finally got a big man besides Duncan who can run and dunk.

callo1
11-03-2006, 12:45 AM
http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1081816#post1081816

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1103351#post1103351

I called this back in July. Glad he played like I knew he could. It will only get better.

MannyIsGod
11-03-2006, 01:29 AM

You know what Elson looked like to me? Someone who deserves getting paid to play basketball. It's a testament to the lack of talent we've had at the five that a performance like tonight's merits such excitement.

I'll reserve some of my judgment till at least December, but I'm definitely glad we've finally got a big man besides Duncan who can run and dunk.The dunks were awesome because he was able to hold onto the ball and finish. Those are the 2 main things our former centers couldn't do.

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 02:19 AM
even if he can handle dirk and helps us beat dallas this season 3-4 times and in the playoffs...his salary of 2 million or so looks like highway robbery.

Exactly. With this game and the preseason Dallas game, Elson looks like he gives them trouble, or at least plays well against them. That's worth his contract right there.

SenorSpur
11-03-2006, 04:10 AM
For those saying there is too much overreaction here, weren't you watching the game? Elson was hoofing it down the court every time (very Wallace-like) and could have had another 6 points if his teammates were looking for him. It's amazing how often he's seen standing open underneath the hoop. He guarded Dirk as effectively as we could hope for. He has a few post moves but most of all he looks confident and aggressive and will dunk without overthinking it.

There is good reason to be happy. Hopefully he keeps this up!

That's a great point. Not since the days of D-Rob have the Spurs had a big man who is that quick and can run that fast. Many times he was racing up the court looking for an outlet and no one saw him. The Spurs guards are typically conservative on the break. But if they would be more alert they'll find him easily outrunning his opponent on most breaks.

I've got to admit, this guy has totally surprised me!

joeyjfive
11-03-2006, 04:43 AM
Elson was great tonite, he actually goes up strong when near the basket, none of that lay up crap. I think hes gonna be great with us and ofcourse eventually be the starter (i think someone called that here)

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 07:25 AM
Elson's getting more than $2 M, isn't he?

Jimcs50
11-03-2006, 08:02 AM
I am geeked over this guy, hopefully he will be consistant, and not show this type of game only every now and then.

DFW Spurs
11-03-2006, 08:13 AM
It's a long season. Lets see if he can keep the energy up for the rest of the year... With that said....

Last night Elson was a beast, damn rim rocker... 1 down, 81 more to go... :downspin:

JMarkJohns
11-03-2006, 08:41 AM
I'd been pushing for the Suns to acquire him for the better part of two years now. All of Stephen Hunter's athleticism with the added combination of good hands and actual basketball knowhow...

I'd already said it, but I fully expect Elson to be a 30-minute per center by mid-year. He's a diamond in the rough and just needed some court time to shake the rust and strut his stuff...

Very impressed with the win last night. Congrats! :)

Joepa
11-03-2006, 08:44 AM
Yeah, toward the end there I had already worn my nails down to nubs again, just like last year. It was a good, hard-fought win, and I'm glad that we've got a great rivalry.

And WOW! What a game by Fran.

z0sa
11-03-2006, 09:55 AM
The main thing is, he gave Dirk a little trouble. If a combination of Elson/Oberto can contain Dirk like that every game - there are no challenges in the western conference.

besides the fact it made it 5on5 instead of 4on5

AFBlue
11-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Elson's getting more than $2 M, isn't he?

3 mil...so not much more (relative to other salaries)

AFBlue
11-03-2006, 10:04 AM
I'm sure it's been said a million times, but I like this guy's aggressiveness. He's only been on the team for a few months, but he looks and acts like he belongs, like he's a vet on the team. I'm not saying he'll be a go-to guy by any means, but I'm impressed with his attitude and fearlessness.

Good job Kiko!

Mavs<Spurs
11-03-2006, 10:10 AM
Elson is very light on his feet, seems to move around as effortlessly as much a smaller man. Hot damn, what a great surprise he is to open the season.

Oh, yeah.

I am completely geeked over Elson.
People who say we are overreacting, please keep in mind some of the great points that people here made earlier:

(1) He actually caught the ball. You can't score if you can't catch the ball (at least not easily).
(2) He finished strong with dunks and showed emotion (I could not care less about the techs. It was worth it.). None of this three pump fakes and a weak attempt at a layup which is sent back.
(3) He is so, so fast. He won't be slow tomorrow. So, that part of his game is not going anywhere. It will be true for a long time.
(4) He is fast enough to guard Dirk and he enabled us to play with two bigs in the game.
(5) This was against Dallas in Dallas.

These five reasons give us more than sufficient reason to believe that this will not be an anomaly because the things that made him so effective in this game are replicable. Watching the game, he was so athletic and so quick that it was breathtaking. I know that he is not DRob, but he looked like it last night. I just wonder if those who are minimizing this actually watched the game.

Notorious H.O.P.
11-03-2006, 10:34 AM
Elson looked good but we'll also have to see how he plays against the big guys like Yao. He is quick and athletic and that will help alot against the Mavs and Suns but time will tell how he performs against the traditional centers.

That being said, hopefully he can keep up what he did tonight.

mcdunk
11-03-2006, 10:38 AM
Elson played very well. He exerted much needed energy into the lineup. He is very active and athletic for a 7 footer.

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 10:42 AM
I don't think there's any question that he's going to have trouble against Yao and Shaq, at least initially, purely ue to the physical difference That at least was the one saving grace of Rasho (though not at his price).

However, he's picked up the defense so fast, that wouldn't be surprised if by the end of the year he has learned to use the team concepts to limit his liabilities.

whottt
11-03-2006, 10:49 AM
I'll still feel better if Butler has cracked the rotation by then...

IF he hasn't Duncan will probably be playing C alongside Horry to close out games...I wouldn't call that a bad thing.

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 10:50 AM
Eh, I'd like to see Horry string together a few good games sometime soon. Seems that hasn't happened since the 2005 Finals.

Eruff24
11-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Exactly. With this game and the preseason Dallas game, Elson looks like he gives them trouble, or at least plays well against them. That's worth his contract right there.

He does give the Mavs trouble because he's very athletic. His rebouding ability is much better than Rasho and Nazir together.

jmard5
11-03-2006, 10:54 AM
Way to go. Spurs still grooming Butler. I wonder how he is shaping up.

whottt
11-03-2006, 10:57 AM
Eh, I'd like to see Horry string together a few good games sometime soon. Seems that hasn't happened since the 2005 Finals.

I wasn't going to argue this but....Horry doesn't DO a string of good games...that's not what he has ever done. Horry wins championships by stepping up from the dregs of complete scrubdom in defining moments catching opponents as well as his own teamates and fans, offguard with the revelation that he really isn't a statue and that gimpy leg actully does work.

I personally think he didn't get enough minutes last year, he damn sure didn't get enough in the post season to be a factor.

Keep in mind...the year we won the title Horry logged a ton of minutes when Duncan and Rasho were out...it allowed him to get his clutch in working order and we all saw what happened when it mattered most.

The value Horry has is what he does in pivotal moments of playoffs games....not in consistent statistical production.

Horry=Winner

That's why you put him out there.