PDA

View Full Version : How do you play basketball without showing emotion?

carib
11-02-2006, 10:44 PM
How do you play basketball without showing emotion?

A player dunks a ball and screams he gets a technical foul called against him. A player gets hit in the ribs while playing defense, looks and the referee with his hands in the air in disbelieve and gets a technical foul called against him. How do you play basketball with out showing emotions? Golfers are now showing emotion and they called that a gentlemen sport. Picture someone going to the weight room and lifting some heavy weights with out showing any sort of emotion.

Sports equal Adrenalin
Adrenalin equals emotion

There are people making sporting rules that never played a game of sport in their life.

ploto
11-02-2006, 11:42 PM
Tim Duncan has said that he plays his best when he plays at an even keel- not getting too high or excited at the big moments and not getting too down at the low ones. He admitted that after that unbelievable shot against the Lakers in 2004- that set up 0.4-- that he let himself get excited in the moment, but he learned quickly how fleeting that can be.

What I think is funny is that a team's fans hate the behavior in other teams' players but cheer it in their own.

stretch
11-02-2006, 11:47 PM

A player dunks a ball and screams he gets a technical foul called against him.

i think its because he sort of hung on the rim and swung himself into Damp's face, when he easily could have let go earlier without falling on anyone or anything. then he proceeded to scream right in Damp's face. thats why he got the tech.

zocool16
11-02-2006, 11:51 PM
i think its because he sort of hung on the rim and swung himself into Damp's face, when he easily could have let go earlier without falling on anyone or anything. then he proceeded to scream right in Damp's face. thats why he got the tech.

i think thats a good point, however its questionable. i mean it could have been that's what he was trying to pull but honestly i saw him hanging on the rim cuz he dunked it too fast, he had to stabilize himself. Then Dampier kinda ran into him hanging right there. Don't get me wrong, MAYBE he was trying to show up Dampier, but at best, this assumption is questionable and a T shouldn't be called on something that's so questionable as that... but oh well

jbspurs
11-03-2006, 12:09 AM
For now is ok, but come palyoff time I don't know... Emotions are what makes a basketball game exciting to watch and play.

stretch
11-03-2006, 12:44 AM
i think thats a good point, however its questionable. i mean it could have been that's what he was trying to pull but honestly i saw him hanging on the rim cuz he dunked it too fast, he had to stabilize himself. Then Dampier kinda ran into him hanging right there. Don't get me wrong, MAYBE he was trying to show up Dampier, but at best, this assumption is questionable and a T shouldn't be called on something that's so questionable as that... but oh well
i didnt care about hanging on the rim. i personally think that would be dumb to have given him a T for that. but he shouldnt have screamed right in his face. thats just disrespectful, no matter who you are.

infinite styles
11-03-2006, 12:53 AM
i didnt care about hanging on the rim. i personally think that would be dumb to have given him a T for that. but he shouldnt have screamed right in his face. thats just disrespectful, no matter who you are.

Elson was screaming before Damp was even in the picture. The official believed that he was taunting Damp and thats why he gave him the T. Thats just part of the game and has been forever. Nothing really wrong with it if you ask me. If Diop's T had not come right before that the official wouldn't have blown the whistle. But the main thing is that Basketball is an emotional sport just like all of the others. You 20k people screaming, two coaches yelling, 10 players jawing and you expect all of that to equal less emotion. Hell even the refs show emotion, just ask Joey Crawford, when they yell out the fouls and demonstrate the penalties. Its just like the NFL with the end zone celebrating, you cannot take away the part of the game the drives players in the first place. Elson's T is a sign of things to come and the NBA's new target market will wonder why everybody was so high on basketball anyways.

SequSpur
11-03-2006, 12:57 AM
I can't watch a game without emotion. I got 2 technicals tonight and sent to my room.

WTF?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2006, 12:58 AM
Haha, Carmello got ejected

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 12:59 AM
Did you strip off your headband and shirt and throw them at pseudo on your way upstairs?

SequSpur
11-03-2006, 01:04 AM
Did you strip off your headband and shirt and throw them at pseudo on your way upstairs?

:lol

Yes. And then I said something about HD and bs like that. Not only did I get ejected, I went from HD to regular TV.

Weak.

gospursgojas
11-03-2006, 01:05 AM
Whats even more sad about this rule that the rule itself, is that its going to become another rule that doesn't apply to superstars. Diop got called for a T, so did Elson. While Dirk was cussing out the refs and never got called for anything

Solid D
11-03-2006, 01:17 AM
Sequ hangs on the rim too long:

http://www.photos2go.com/store/GetChubby.asp/ImageNum=388068&VOLID=C2CuqU7MpuUC&SecNum=`SfK^PoT1GT^a`9Tjcl04M1Gv&gc=&aw=aw0&ss=1/photostogo-C-388068.jpg

SequSpur
11-03-2006, 01:18 AM

http://www.photos2go.com/store/GetChubby.asp/ImageNum=388068&VOLID=C2CuqU7MpuUC&SecNum=`SfK^PoT1GT^a`9Tjcl04M1Gv&gc=&aw=aw0&ss=1/photostogo-C-388068.jpg

:nutkick:

SenorSpur
11-03-2006, 01:23 AM
For what it's worth, Dampier does that same shit all the time on the "rare" occasions that he gets dunks.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the emotion from Elson. I hope he keeps it up..

BeerIsGood!
11-03-2006, 01:25 AM

:lol greatness

Trainwreck2100
11-03-2006, 01:26 AM
Duncans been doing it for 10 years

gospursgojas
11-03-2006, 01:37 AM
Duncans been doing it for 10 years

Haha

True

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 09:12 AM
As a supporter of zero tolerance, if Elson was called for taunting and not for hanging on the rim it was a mistake. If the officials are going to call things like that then it's exactly what the critics have said it is; taking the emotion out of the game. Elson wasn't complaining about a call.

foodie2
11-03-2006, 09:20 AM
For what it's worth, Dampier does that same shit all the time on the "rare" occasions that he gets dunks.

Anyway, I'm glad to see the emotion from Elson. I hope he keeps it up..

I agree about Elson. It's about time we had a center who actually shows a little passion.

And I also noticed that Dirk (and Tim) got away with complaining about calls while lesser players got T'd up. Business as usual.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 09:40 AM
And I also noticed that Dirk (and Tim) got away with complaining about calls while lesser players got T'd up. Business as usual.
Complaining is not the same as throwing your arms in the air and making sweeping demonstrative gestures. Dirk may have complained, but he did nothing to show up the officials and incite the crowd. Diop flailed his arms and went at the officials. Notice Dirk just shoved him away. I don't have a lot of nice things to say about Dirk, but he's smart enough to have adapted already.

Speaking of inciting the crowd. Duncan drew a foul in the second half and the crowd didn't scream "awwwww" and boo like they have for basically the last 7 years. That's significant. It means that the fans were watching the game rather than focusing on whistles. How can that not be a good thing?

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 09:43 AM
I think some of the apparently lack of fan reaction stems from the fact that, for probably the first time in the Cuban Era, the AAC crowd wasn't miked.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 09:49 AM
I think some of the apparently lack of fan reaction stems from the fact that, for probably the first time in the Cuban Era, the AAC crowd wasn't miked.
If it had been like that for the whole game, I'd probably agree with you. I maintain that the crowd was watching the game instead of looking for ways that the refs were going to fuck them out of a win, which is a big step for Mavs fans.

AFBlue
11-03-2006, 09:55 AM
All calls of this nature will be purely subjective, as no criteria has really been set. It's kind of like the "strike zone" for baseball umpires...some have different degrees of tolerance and it's up to the hitters and catchers to understand those tolerances before they go into the game.

As this newly "tightened" rule gets enforced, players, coaches, and officials alike will get familiar with eachother and eventually it will normalize. Of course there will still be biases (human nature) against guys like Rasheed Wallace, Ron Artest, etc.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 10:03 AM
All calls of this nature will be purely subjective, as no criteria has really been set. It's kind of like the "strike zone" for baseball umpires...some have different degrees of tolerance and it's up to the hitters and catchers to understand those tolerances before they go into the game.

As this newly "tightened" rule gets enforced, players, coaches, and officials alike will get familiar with eachother and eventually it will normalize. Of course there will still be biases (human nature) against guys like Rasheed Wallace, Ron Artest, etc.
True, but the bottom line is that a guy needs two technicals before he gets tossed. So if a player gets one that means he needs to shut up. It's like a guy with five personal fouls swatting at every dribbler and going for blocks, and then complaining that he got called for his sixth foul. If Rasheed just shuts up it's amazing how few technicals he'd get. In fact, if he'd show any effort at restraint or respect of the officials, he'd probably get more benefit of the doubt than he deserves.

Samr
11-03-2006, 10:25 AM
I love the new rule emphasis, and I am sure they will loosen up in regards to a few things.

If you get a big dunk or block, you should be allowed to scream. Not taunt, mind you, but scream. Damnit, you did it, you deserve to celebrate a little. That being said, don't further belittle the other guy. Celebrate if you want, but don't carry it into aggression toward someone else. If anything, you should be thanking them for being your bitch and getting you play in SportCenter.

I expect this to be allowed once the refs have established the new emphasis.

I love how they started the season by ejecting Melo and Rasheed. They set at precedent and said, "hey, look guys. We won't tolerate this anymore. Play the game and let us make the calls. As we see them. If we see them." It will never stay this strict, as we have seen with changes in prior seasons.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-03-2006, 10:30 AM

Sometimes the Rasho jokes write themselves.

And the refs need to dial it down a notch and enforce the rule as written. Otherwise this is going to be a long ass season. If they keep calling it this way the games will get bogged down with stoppages that kill the flow of the game. And once the players actually adjust to this stuff the NBA will left with a sterile, lifeless game. You might as well watch two people play NBA Live on the Playstation if this keeps up.

Ginofan
11-03-2006, 10:40 AM

:lol

I agree with what pretty much everyone has said. There's no need for such a tight reign. Yeah all the whining was getting old so of course some enforcement is needed but we still want SOME type of emotion allowed. Maybe they should've thought this through some more before then enacted it.

zero signal
11-03-2006, 11:18 AM
:lmao

Well, to be fair, sometimes he made the "oh, darn it" fist :lol

Samr
11-03-2006, 12:08 PM
Rasho is the only player I have ever seen audibly question why he has the ball before deciding what to do with it.

I like Elson's approach. Jump first, figure out who to make your bitch later.

ploto
11-03-2006, 12:34 PM

Actually, Rasho already got a technical this year- in the pre-season nonetheless. :D

TDMVPDPOY
11-03-2006, 12:35 PM
no more emo guys in teh league?

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-03-2006, 12:42 PM
That technical on Elson was "retarded".

If Stern was the commissioner of the PGA he'd probably T'up Tiger Woods for pumping his fist after sinking a long putt.

FromWayDowntown
11-03-2006, 12:54 PM
I think the tight reign is a necessary step to get complaining in line. In a couple of weeks -- maybe a couple of months -- I suspect that the officials will back off (as they always seem to with new interpretations and points of emphasis) because the level of complaining will be reduced from what it had been, which is the ultimate goal of this program. I also suspect that officials have been instructed to be sure to enforce the rule against high profile players to make sure that everyone fears he might be called. Not a conspiracy, but certainly another point of emphasis.

sandman
11-03-2006, 02:54 PM
Did anyone else notice that Ed Rush was getting a little caught up in his own emotions as well when he handed out the T? There was one sequence where he looked genuinely mad at everyone for even contemplating doing anything more than kissing his backside. I hope that these new rules do not create a god complex in some of these officials.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 03:01 PM
I think the tight reign is a necessary step to get complaining in line. In a couple of weeks -- maybe a couple of months -- I suspect that the officials will back off (as they always seem to with new interpretations and points of emphasis) because the level of complaining will be reduced from what it had been, which is the ultimate goal of this program. I also suspect that officials have been instructed to be sure to enforce the rule against high profile players to make sure that everyone fears he might be called. Not a conspiracy, but certainly another point of emphasis.
If Nash hasn't gotten a technical yet, your theory loses all air. :)

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Did anyone else notice that Ed Rush was getting a little caught up in his own emotions as well when he handed out the T? There was one sequence where he looked genuinely mad at everyone for even contemplating doing anything more than kissing his backside. I hope that these new rules do not create a god complex in some of these officials.
I saw that too. Other than the taunting call I think he did pretty well, though.

nkdlunch
11-03-2006, 03:02 PM
I think the ref was pissed cause he was working overtime, cause his buddy ref got knocked the fuck out

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 03:03 PM
Nash, Cassell, a couple of others who I can't immediately recall.

With the notable exception of Carmelo, it's still a star system when it comes to handing out T's.

sandman
11-03-2006, 04:11 PM
I saw that too. Other than the taunting call I think he did pretty well, though.

Actually thought the game resembled what players dealt with all those years ago when there were only two refs as the norm. Calls get missed on both sides, and the savvy players take advantage of it. I thought the Spurs muscled up a bit knowing that two refs could not catch what three would.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 04:34 PM
Actually thought the game resembled what players dealt with all those years ago when there were only two refs as the norm. Calls get missed on both sides, and the savvy players take advantage of it. I thought the Spurs muscled up a bit knowing that two refs could not catch what three would.
Other than the Tony Parker one foot travel and the three second call with nobody in the paint I thought the second half was pretty good. If nothing else it was basically a wash, which is all you can hope for as a fan.

sandman
11-03-2006, 04:40 PM
Other than the Tony Parker one foot travel and the three second call with nobody in the paint I thought the second half was pretty good. If nothing else it was basically a wash, which is all you can hope for as a fan.

Wasn't implying blown calls as much as referring to the absence of some of the ticky-tacky fouls that seem to bust up the rhythm of the game. I would say that the lack of a third official did not hurt in managing the game. Of course, I am sure that Mavs fans would disagree, but it was their team who turned into the non-physical jump shooters in the second half. And why oh WHY does dirk not get called for travelling on that spin move at the high post where he looks like he jumps sideways/fadaway off the non-pivot foot at the end of the spin?

FromWayDowntown
11-03-2006, 05:00 PM
If Nash hasn't gotten a technical yet, your theory loses all air. :)

Well, I didn't mean to suggest that they'd go after all of the stars in every circumstance -- just that it makes sense that they'd show some force in being unafraid, initially, to T up some stars to make the point.

I'm probably wrong, though -- just ask ShoogarBear. :)

SRJ
11-03-2006, 06:01 PM
How do you play basketball without showing emotion? Simple.

Hit the open man, knock down the jumper, box out, and D up.

If you need histrionics to enjoy your game, watch wrestling.

There is a place for emotion. Play to the crowd. Lay a five on a teammate after an alleyoop. Let loose a mighty yell (not in your opponent's face) after a big play.

These are positive emotions. Taunting and acting the fool after a bad call are negative emotions. As the application of this rule stabilizes, officials will give guys a little more rope, and some guys will learn to regulate themselves. This is a good rule. I hate all the bellyaching to officials. Some complaining? Fine. But make your point and move on. Leave the bitching to the coaches.

Obstructed_View
11-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Well, I didn't mean to suggest that they'd go after all of the stars in every circumstance -- just that it makes sense that they'd show some force in being unafraid, initially, to T up some stars to make the point.

I'm probably wrong, though -- just ask ShoogarBear. :)
My point was that Nash has deserved at least two technicals by the new enforcement. There's no easier way to get Scoop Jackson saying it's a racist rule than to NOT give Nash a T when he does that stupid shit.

GOBLUEADAM
11-07-2006, 05:12 AM
I hate to say I told you so Spurs fans! Here's one for ya from the man who the rule was created, Rasheed Wallace. Tonight against Utah, Sheed went to the hole, made the shot and was fouled, and shouted the most evil words ever heard to mankind, "AND ONE"! And yes he was T'ed up by Stupid Steve Javie, who was behind the play and down the court away from the action. So now, you are T'ed up for celebrating a basket. But remember, Rasheed was T'ed up for saying "waa" and for looking at a ref! STERNS' VULCAN-NO EMOTION RULE MUST DIE!

ponky
11-07-2006, 05:32 AM
I hate to say I told you so Spurs fans! Here's one for ya from the man who the rule was created, Rasheed Wallace. Tonight against Utah, Sheed went to the hole, made the shot and was fouled, and shouted the most evil words ever heard to mankind, "AND ONE"! And yes he was T'ed up by Stupid Steve Javie, who was behind the play and down the court away from the action. So now, you are T'ed up for celebrating a basket. But remember, Rasheed was T'ed up for saying "waa" and for looking at a ref! STERNS' VULCAN-NO EMOTION RULE MUST DIE!

Ridiculous, these new rules are outta control. Avery getting ejected AFTER he walked away from Danny Crawford with barely two secs between the first and second fouls was funny. Sure he deserved the first tech, but definitely not the second one.

Obstructed_View
11-07-2006, 01:23 PM
You are so fucking retarded. Rasheed yelled "and one" and then did the "ah, phooey, forget you" wave toward the officials, which was a point of emphasis LAST YEAR by the league.

Moron.

freedom&justice
11-07-2006, 07:48 PM
Another example:
Assistant coach Dave Cowens was slapped with a tech, the Pistons' third.
"All Dave said was, 'We are just trying to win the game,' " Saunders said.
He was already back in the huddle when the tech was called.

This call was made in the final two minutes of a close game with the jazz up by only one. I think the new rule could do some good in terms of getting the players to cut back on their complaining, but they probably need to set clearer guidelines as to what actions warrant a tech. There's just too much of a gray area here.