PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will sign James White tomorrow ?

Bruno
11-02-2006, 11:24 PM
According to Rick Carlisle in his radio show : "he may be picked up by San Antonio tomorrow"

http://chaos.able-towers.com/%7Emagicrat/carlisle110206.mp3

It's around 33:20.

bigdog
11-02-2006, 11:29 PM
interesting....i know hes a whale of an athlete. we'll see what happens

T Park
11-02-2006, 11:30 PM
SOUNDS INTERESTINBG

cheapos.............

dknights411
11-02-2006, 11:30 PM
Really?

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-02-2006, 11:31 PM
Hell Yeah!!!!

Buddy Holly
11-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Nice. A Spur finally in the dunk contest??

MI21
11-02-2006, 11:33 PM
Fucking spectacular.

Dude is 6'8ish and LONG and might be the best athlete in the NBA. Can go Through the Legs from FT Line. Good defender already and a decent passer etc.

This is the PERFECT long SF project for the Spurs. He is who I wanted the Spurs to pick up somehow in the draft, and I think timvp was pretty high on him also. Fingers crossed they pick him up.

PS - a Spurs rep might win a dunk comp if this signing goes through :)

Mr. Body
11-02-2006, 11:34 PM
I fucking hope so.

ducks
11-02-2006, 11:34 PM
But Holt Is Cheap!

SenorSpur
11-02-2006, 11:35 PM
I know it's still early, but does anyone have the book on this guy? Is he an undrafted FA? What's his story?

El_Mago
Yes, James was by far the best athlete in the Draft last year.

He needs to be a bit more fluid on his jumper, but the guy has quickness and has no fear.

Let White land here.

bigdog
actually,didnt the spurs try to get him in the draft? or maybe it was someone else i might be wrong

JamStone
11-02-2006, 11:39 PM
That would be unfuckingbelievable if the Spurs got James White. A young, long, extremely athletic, versatile small forward that plays tough defense. Jeeeeez, they didn't need that or anything. :rolleyes

Man, fuck the Spurs.

Borosai
11-02-2006, 11:39 PM
This is very good news...athletic basketball players, here we come.

LilMissSPURfect
11-02-2006, 11:41 PM
That would be unfuckingbelievable if the Spurs got James White. A young, long, extremely athletic, versatile small forward that plays tough defense. Jeeeeez, they didn't need that or anything. :rolleyes

Man, fuck the Spurs.

that can learn BOWEN tactics........awesome! :santahat

ducks
11-02-2006, 11:44 PM
Yes, James was by far the best athlete in the Draft last year.

He needs to be a bit more fluid on his jumper, but the guy has quickness and has no fear.

Let White land here.

I am sure chip can help his shot

MI21
11-02-2006, 11:45 PM
I know it's still early, but does anyone have the book on this guy? Is he an undrafted FA? What's his story?

From memory the Pacers traded 3 future 2nd rounders to get him. Then I thought they actually signed him for 2 years, now they have released because Rawle Marshall outplayed him or something. Don't quote me, that's all off the top of my head.

Either way, James White on the Spurs is just incredibly perfect. This could be a potential STEAL. Plus it can only help to get a little bit younger :)

infinite styles
11-02-2006, 11:49 PM
If this is true then I'll be especially hyped about this season now because I was praying that the Spurs would land him on draft night. Dude has been a pure athlete all his life. Great defensive player that can actually learn to play Point/Forward. He's been showcasing two handed free throw line dunks since HS and plays with composure. This would in fact be a steal and a great protege of Bowen's.

picnroll
11-03-2006, 12:03 AM
Doesn't this guy weigh 85 lbs? He and Mahinmi can make the all anorexic team.

LilMissSPURfect
11-03-2006, 12:06 AM
:downspin: :downspin: :downspin:
Doesn't this guy weigh 85 lbs? He and Mahinmi can make the all anorexic team.

:downspin: :downspin: :downspin: :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao :cry :lmao :rollin :rollin :rollin

feed him some :sequ :sequ then

timvp
11-03-2006, 12:08 AM
Holy crap.

That'd be awesome.

James 'Flight' White a Spur?

What a good day in Spurs history.

:drunk

T Park
11-03-2006, 12:09 AM
Impossible.

Holt won't allow it.

Right?

boutons_
11-03-2006, 12:12 AM
6'7", 200 lbs, yeah, that's pretty light, but if he's quick and agressive,

Bruce is also 6'7", 200

LilMissSPURfect
11-03-2006, 12:15 AM
6'7", 200 lbs, yeah, that's pretty light, but if he's quick and agressive,

Bruce is also 6'7", 200

you forgot a thug , a bully and a dirty player @ 200lbs.... :ihit

mattyc
11-03-2006, 12:15 AM
Dude would be a bloody BRILLIANT signing. Make it happen!

BeerIsGood!
11-03-2006, 12:18 AM
Would he get any time on this team right now? Probably just junk minutes and a chance to develop ala Butler. It will be interesting to see what he can do if given the time to develop

Borosai
11-03-2006, 12:26 AM
I just finished listening the the part where Carlisle mentions the possibility, and it sounded more like a certainty to me. I hope it's true. As far as playing time, he will probably sit on the bench in close games, but with a lead, I can see him being the second SF. Finley would be the second SG, and Barry would swing around whenever needed. If this happens tomorrow, I will be extremely happy in the pants...much more than I am now. I'll be right back...

timvp
11-03-2006, 12:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pA4L-_Wic78&mode=related&search=

That's James White completing one of the best dunks in basketball history.

timvp
11-03-2006, 12:30 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdhRgZXNo5w&mode=related&search=

It's safe to say the Spurs would be signing the 2007 Slam Dunk Champion.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-03-2006, 12:32 AM
And to think that a week ago I was behaving all pessimistic (as usual) about what might be one of the most lackluster Spurs seasons in recent memory due to what I felt was a brutal summer.

James White looks deadly :fro

TDMVPDPOY
11-03-2006, 12:33 AM
probably give us more media attention

i think if he works out, than bowen could probably play on after his contract expire, play from the bench for a couple of minutes.....

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 12:35 AM
Draftexpress and other sites have listed the players eligible for the NBDL draft. Lots of cut players on there, like Darius Washington and Denham Brown, but no James White. I don't know what it takes to be eligible, but not being there suggests someone has essentially signed him.

Add that to the Carlysle quote and this guy seems a Spur.

midgetonadonkey
11-03-2006, 12:36 AM
It won't happen.

LilMissSPURfect
11-03-2006, 12:38 AM
looks like he could be a keeper......DO IT SPURS! :hungry:

BeerIsGood!
11-03-2006, 12:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdhRgZXNo5w&mode=related&search=

It's safe to say the Spurs would be signing the 2007 Slam Dunk Champion.

That very first dunk - none of his foot even touched the FT line and he made it easy. That music was funny and horrible at the same time.

T Park
11-03-2006, 12:45 AM
Wow.

Im hoping this is true.

This guy looks like Stephen Jackson but, with better hops.

LilMissSPURfect
11-03-2006, 12:45 AM
in the video......is that like a regulation size court........?
.WOW!!!!!

King
11-03-2006, 12:48 AM
This is going to be such a colossal let down if he doesn't end up in SA.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2006, 12:51 AM
This is going to be such a colossal let down if he doesn't end up in SA.

true that

gospursgojas
11-03-2006, 01:00 AM
Holy SHit!!!

I was praying for this guy on draft day

Kori Ellis
11-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Well he got waived Monday, so he's completely cleared waivers. It will be great if the Spurs get him. He can fly and maybe be groomed under Bruce.

TDMVPDPOY
11-03-2006, 01:01 AM
Wow.

Im hoping this is true.

This guy looks like Stephen Jackson but, with better hops.

does he make love to pressure? :downspin:

Pistons < Spurs
11-03-2006, 01:05 AM
James White would be a very solid pickup. He can flat out fly. No doubt he'd win the dunk contest.

But my favorite dunker is still Kadour Ziani. 5 Foot 10 with a 57 inch vert!!! :wow :wow

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kho42By8Vhg&mode=related&search=Kadour

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 01:09 AM
Uh oh. Guy wears #21. That has to change.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-03-2006, 01:12 AM
:lmao @ Kori's sig.

All the indications are positive. Dayum, give this guy a contract already!

Samr
11-03-2006, 01:38 AM
Don't want to get my hopes up. Too many good things in a 24-hour period. First Elson makes even the supporters eat some amount of crow, and now they could potentially get a GREAT player.

Josh Howard? Yeah, if they get him, Dirk should worry. He'd get Brucy ALL game.

Bruno
11-03-2006, 01:53 AM
I don't know White at all but one thing his sure Spurs were looking for "a young athletic swingman" and he is that kind of players. :fro

BIG IRISH
11-03-2006, 02:24 AM
Darn good reccomendation:

James White was cut by the Indiana Pacers on October 30th, 2006, with coach Rick Carlisle saying his release was the most difficult cut he's been involved with in his coaching career. The 6-foot-7 guard/forward from Cincinnati averaged 3.8 points and 2.0 rebounds in eight preseason games.

"http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_White_%28basketball%29"

polandprzem
11-03-2006, 02:28 AM
Let us pray

SenorSpur
11-03-2006, 02:32 AM
Lawd, could this be the athletic swingman that we've all been clamoring for?

BTW since I do not know much about him, I wanted to ask everyone what is it about this player that makes everyone believe that he can play "Spurs style, Bowen-type" perimeter defense?

RC's Boss
11-03-2006, 03:10 AM
Let us pray
Don't worry, I'll get Pop and R.C. on the phone and have thm draw up the contract. Even in the wee hours, the boss is working his magic! :wakeup

RC's Boss
11-03-2006, 03:39 AM
Damn, Pop put me on hold!

mattyc
11-03-2006, 04:11 AM
Please let this happen.

themvp
11-03-2006, 04:32 AM
He's a pimp. Please sign him.

ATX Spur
11-03-2006, 04:33 AM
Yikes. Those are hops.

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 04:34 AM
I don't know if Marcus Bryant could go an entire season without a tractor joke.

joeyjfive
11-03-2006, 04:39 AM
Damn I remember seeing old high school clips of this guy, I always thought he would be great but he never really developed a solid jump shot, nonetheless the guy is long and athletic, just what we need, WE MUST HAVE HIM

Streakyshooter08
11-03-2006, 04:45 AM
Does he have a 3pt shootand what about defense? I only know the mixtapes so it would be cool to know a little about the way he plays in a regular game...

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 04:54 AM
Here are his college stats:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/player/profile?playerId=4976

Summer league stats:

http://www.nba.com/media/magic/06slstats_pacers.pdf

Preseason stats:

http://www.nba.com/playerfile/james_white/index.html

Draft Express profile:

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=71#

nbadraft.net profile:

http://www.nbadraft.net/profiles/jameswhite.asp

nba.com draft profile:

http://www.nba.com/draft2006/profiles/JamesWhite.html

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-03-2006, 04:57 AM
so, we'll know by later today??

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 04:58 AM
We'll know if it happens, when it happens.

Streakyshooter08
11-03-2006, 05:00 AM
Thanks Chump!!!

P.S.: I heard this is on the "Rick Carlisle Show" I wonder if there will be a "Pop- Show" this season?!?!

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-03-2006, 05:01 AM
We'll know if it happens, when it happens.
I'll keep my fingers crossed until then.

GrandeDavid
11-03-2006, 06:05 AM
James White is from my alma mater, Cincinnati! My boy can BALL!!! Against UK in the second round of the NCAAs two years ago he threw down the smoothest, most athletic, leaping yet forceful one handed artistic slam I've ever seen. It was insane. Almost as insane as my other boy from my alma mater, the REAL Helicopter, Melvin Levitt, dunk over a golf cart.

James White would be P.H.A.T!!! You'd get that young athletic perimiter player.

http://graphics.fansonly.com/photos/schools/cinn/sports/m-baskbl/auto_action/393780.jpeg

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Photos/050115/050115_cinlouis_hmed_1p.hmedium.jpg

timvp
11-03-2006, 06:11 AM
Let's keep the James White hype in this thread until he's signed. Then we can throw a party that the Spurs finally got their athletic, long three after all these years:lol

timvp
11-03-2006, 06:13 AM
Question: Your bio says you first dunked a basketball at age 12. Do you remember it?

Answer: Not really. It was out on the playgrounds. But it was a big deal for me. I started out with a tennis ball, then a volleyball, and finally I could dunk a basketball.

Q: How tall were you?

A: I was in sixth or seventh grade. I was probably 5-9 or 5-10.

Q: Can you touch the top of the backboard?

A: Yeah.

Q: How many slam-dunk contests have you won?

A: Probably 20. Something like that.

Q: Is that something you take pride in?

A: Not really. If somebody challenges me, I'll do that, but the only thing I'm looking forward to is the NBA dunk contest. Other than that ...

Q: Do you already know which dunks you'll do?

A: Kind of. I have dunks I know are sure-fire for getting a perfect score. But going into it, I don't plan that I'm going to do this or do that.

Q: Do you think you can win it?

A: I WILL win it.

:drunk :smokin :drunk

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2006, 06:16 AM
Let's keep the James White hype in this thread until he's signed. Then we can throw a party that the Spurs finally got their athletic, long three after all these years:lol

Ok, I heard James White once saved a baby from a burning building

GrandeDavid
11-03-2006, 06:16 AM
But, yes, I was hyping him! :lol

GrandeDavid
11-03-2006, 06:19 AM
I don't know about the burning building thing or hyping him, but he went to my university, the same one that produced a-hole Kenyon Martin, so knowing that White is a) good, b) that athletic, young perimeter player and c) a decent citizen, I just wanted to chime in. Also, I freaking have met the guy and have seen him play up close, hence my enthusiasm.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2006, 06:20 AM
I made the saving the baby story up, I was just hoping it'd show up in one of Johnny Ludden or Buck Harvey's articles tomorrow.

GrandeDavid
11-03-2006, 06:21 AM
^ :lol

Buck Harvey would probably bite!

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2006, 06:52 AM
Hopefully, this doesn't turn into another last minute heart break. Like the J.R. Smith situation

Kori Ellis
11-03-2006, 06:54 AM
. Like the J.R. Smith situation

Speaking of him, he started last night and had 21 points.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2006, 06:56 AM

He's the only guy on the Nuggets that can hit a 3

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-03-2006, 06:58 AM
Hopefully, this doesn't turn into another last minute heart break. Like the J.R. Smith situation

Shhh...I'm gonna stop myself from getting my hopes up , now that you reminded me...that dunk video and all this talk of dunk contests and mad hops with White....

With Elson's good first game with us, and now this potential spark at the 3...aggh it's only been one game and I'm already getting overexcited about this season.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2006, 07:00 AM
Shhh...I'm gonna stop myself from getting my hopes up , now that you reminded me...that dunk video and all this talk of dunk contests and mad hops with White....

With Elson's good first game with us, and now this potential spark at the 3...aggh it's only been one game and I'm already getting overexcited about this season.
I doubt White would get any significant playing time this year

SpursWillOwn
11-03-2006, 07:27 AM
WAT THE FUCK he can touch the top of the back board?!!!

caŽlo
11-03-2006, 09:28 AM
Pls Lord Let The Spurs Sign White.

Boring? Well see about that

dimsah
11-03-2006, 09:53 AM
He's not exactly long at 6'7, but his athleticism will make up for some of that.
I'd love for a guy who can defend a little bit anyway come in here to study under Bowen.

If he works out you can have Finley come in for Manu, and White for Bowen, and let Bones ride the pine.

Borosai
11-03-2006, 09:53 AM
In addition to being very athletic, he shoots over 80% at the free-throw line, and as stated in his draft profile, is a solid perimeter defender.

I hope my heart isn't broken today, or I will be binging on some strawberry ice cream all night.

mcdunk
11-03-2006, 10:17 AM
This is a no-brainer for the Spurs. A guy the Spurs worked out pre-draft a couple of times. He will receive the rookie minimum for two years via Indy. The Spurs could sign him to one year deal for minimum and if he does not work out or the Spurs see a need to add a different player which I dont see happening then the Spurs cut there losses.

Sign James White

Notorious H.O.P.
11-03-2006, 11:08 AM
If he's level headed, we might have a shot at him. Pop can point to what we've done with other players in the past (think SJax) in regards to spending time on the bench and then getting his chance as he develops.

However, most guys with his kind of confidence and at his age just want to get out on the court because they feel they can immediately contribute (whether that is true or not). If he's this kind of player, he'll go to a team he can get minutes to show his stuff on the court and that doesn't include the Spurs.

Hopefully he can see what is best for his long term future and he signs with the Spurs.

On a side (conspiracy related) note. Maybe Carlisle heard the Spurs were looking at signing him and decided to mention it so other teams would enter the fray and keep White out of the Spurs hands. If Carlisle believes his team has a shot at the finals, the last thing he wants is for the Spurs to have a player like White in their frontcourt.

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 11:18 AM
If he's level headed, we might have a shot at him. Pop can point to what we've done with other players in the past (think SJax) in regards to spending time on the bench and then getting his chance as he develops.

However, most guys with his kind of confidence and at his age just want to get out on the court because they feel they can immediately contribute (whether that is true or not). If he's this kind of player, he'll go to a team he can get minutes to show his stuff on the court and that doesn't include the Spurs.

Hopefully he can see what is best for his long term future and he signs with the Spurs.

On a side (conspiracy related) note. Maybe Carlisle heard the Spurs were looking at signing him and decided to mention it so other teams would enter the fray and keep White out of the Spurs hands. If Carlisle believes his team has a shot at the finals, the last thing he wants is for the Spurs to have a player like White in their frontcourt.

I don't think a lot of teams CAN vie for White at this point. Most rosters are full. Phoenix might have liked him, but are going with Jalen Rose. Other teams would have had to cut a player to get him = too expensive.

It sounds like he's a hard worker and doesn't have an issue with ego, so he must know sitting behind players to play for a team like the Spurs is good for his long-term viability in the league, as you point out.

I'm not sure how many other teams are interested, but he does have one thing at SA few other teams can offer - no other SFs besides the starter. He won't play, necessarily, but he has a clear shot to get minutes if he plays well.

He studies behind Bowen, potentially gets time during blowouts, and if he sticks, gets his long-dreamt of opportunity to be in the NBA Dunk Contest.

AFBlue
11-03-2006, 11:27 AM
Why he hasn't broken into a dominant player is anyone's guess, he has the talent, just hasn't put it together....

This concerns me a bit, but if he comes here I think it would be the perfect environment to learn the fundamentals and grow as an all-around player. The Spurs organization seems to grow players well and consistently, so I hope that we sign this kid and develop his apparent multitude of talent.

SenorSpur
11-03-2006, 11:46 AM
I heard some talk during the days leading up to the draft that the Spurs were trying to move up to select an athletic swingman. Was this guy one of the players the Spurs had targeted but were unable to move up to obtain?

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 11:55 AM
I heard some talk during the days leading up to the draft that the Spurs were trying to move up to select an athletic swingman. Was this guy one of the players the Spurs had targeted but were unable to move up to obtain?

They worked him out, but I'm not sure how that went.

This draft was pretty heavy with good SF prospects, making it all the more frustrating the Spurs had no first rounder:

Rodney Carney
Ronnie Brewer
Thabo Sefalosha
James White
Shawne Williams
Bobby Jones

I'm sure the Spurs tried to get one of those top 3 by moving up with Scola or whatever. White was slated by Draftexpress for late 1st round. I'm sure SA would have nabbed him if they had a pick.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-03-2006, 12:01 PM
I would love to see this happen.

He looked like a typical Suns pickup, but it sounds like they're going a different direction. This guy could be the Bowen protege everyone has been hoping for.

SenorSpur
11-03-2006, 12:05 PM
I would love to see this happen.

He looked like a typical Suns pickup, but it sounds like they're going a different direction. This guy could be the Bowen protege everyone has been hoping for.

Hey, let's hope the Suns DO go in a different direction. In looking at their team, they are failry stacked with SFs and SGs. I don't see how they would have room for a guy like White.

Since their window for contention is now, Jalen Rose would seem like a more likely acquisition.

Condemned 2 HelLA
11-03-2006, 12:12 PM
In addition to being very athletic, he shoots over 80% at the free-throw line, and as stated in his draft profile, is a solid perimeter defender.

Pop?
Holt?
Get this kid signed NOW!!!!!!!!

AFBlue
11-03-2006, 12:20 PM

I saw most of the first half, and while he scored alot of points and showed genuine hustle, I also saw some poor turnovers and "rookie" mistakes. I know this kid is still developing and could be incredible, but I think unless he goes to a team that's willing to work with him on his weaknesses, he'll continue to rely on a jumpshot that hasn't been terribly consistent, though when he's on fire the boy can score.

Samr
11-03-2006, 12:23 PM
In addition to being very athletic, he shoots over 80% at the free-throw line

No worries, Spurs'll fix that right quick.