PDA

View Full Version : Ludden : Spurs beat Mavs to start season; Parker scores 19

Bruno
11-03-2006, 02:02 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110306.01D.BKNspurs.mavs.gamer.30a3fc2.html

Web Posted: 11/03/2006 12:22 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

DALLAS — For a few moments, Thursday night felt like all those evenings in May. Jason Terry and Tony Parker traded jump shots. Dirk Nowitzki threw in a 3-pointer. Tim Duncan snatched away a rebound then ducked inside for a layup.

The Spurs and Dallas Mavericks slugged it out as the din of 20,416 fans filled American Airlines Center. Someone even cursed Bruce Bowen for old times' sake.

But in the end, after the Spurs walked off with a 97-91 victory, Thursday night wasn't about last season. Or righting a wrong. For the Spurs, it only meant they were starting over.

"We all believe we had a great opportunity last year," Manu Ginobili said. "But it's gone. We can't do anything about it. We just have to try to forget and learn from our mistakes.

"Probably the only thing that's going to make us forget is to have a great season."

The Spurs opened their new campaign well enough. Limiting Dallas to 16 points and 28.6 percent shooting in the fourth quarter, they did the one thing they didn't do at the end of the teams' memorable seven-game series last spring: They won.

Bowen buried a pressure-packed 3-pointer, Parker shrugged off his ankle sprain to score 19 points and Ginobili added 16 more. With Francisco Elson providing 10 points, six rebounds and a pair of blocks off the bench, the Spurs might have even found a center who can stay on the floor.

"It's one win," Duncan said, "but it's a great start to the season."

About an hour before tipoff, Spurs coach Gregg Popovich joked that it felt like the teams were preparing for "Game 8." In truth, however, the evening couldn't duplicate the pressure-packed atmosphere of last spring.

The crowd wasn't as lively. Neither were the two teams.

"I don't think either one of us are going to claim we played a great game," said Duncan, who struggled with his shot before finishing with 13 points, 10 rebounds and four assists. "We just kind of found a way to fight it out, tough it out."

After watching Dallas shoot 53.3 percent in the first half, the Spurs had to dig themselves out of a 10-point deficit early in the third quarter. The game started to turn when Duncan spun into Nowitzki and sent him to the bench with his fourth foul with 4:17 remaining in the third quarter.

Duncan, who had three shots blocked by Mavericks center DeSagana Diop during a two-minute stretch in the second quarter, followed with an 18-footer and a layup. He then poked the ball from Erick Dampier to set up another basket that gave the Spurs a 66-65 lead, their first since the opening possession.

The Spurs reduced their turnovers from nine in the first half to three in the second. They also limited Nowitzki to eight of his 21 points in the final two quarters.

"We looked like the Mavericks from the past," Avery Johnson said. "This is not a reflection of what we have been working on and how far we have come."

While Fabricio Oberto started at center, Elson showed why he could eventually take over the job. He punched in three emphatic dunks — one of which earned him a technical when he yelled — and ran the floor well enough to allow the Spurs to stay big.

"That's going to be his role," Duncan said. "He's going to come in there and use his athleticism."

Bowen's role remained the same: Harass whoever he's guarding and make timely shots. He did both. In addition to burying the biggest shot of the night — a 3-pointer with 2:17 left to extend the Spurs lead to four — he frustrated Josh Howard. Howard retaliated in the second quarter by shoving Bowen to the floor for a flagrant foul.

"I know I made a cut and he fell," Bowen said. "As I'm trying to step over him, he's grabbing me. Look at the film.

"I'm sick of all the stuff that takes place with me and Dallas. It always looks like it's something. And who gets the great label for that? Me."

The Spurs weren't sure Parker would be available until he convinced Popovich at the team's morning shootaround to let him start. Still, Popovich vowed to pull Parker "if it seems he's overrated his health."

Fortunately for the Spurs, Popovich didn't need to make the move. Parker lacked some of his usual explosiveness, but confidently knocked down his jump shot.

"I didn't feel like I'm at my best, you know," he said. "But it was pretty good for a first game."

timvp
11-03-2006, 02:03 AM
While Fabricio Oberto started at center, Elson showed why he could eventually take over the job.

Eventually? Elson already won that starting job. It's just a matter if Pop will give it to him next game or the game after.

polandprzem
11-03-2006, 02:05 AM
where the fvck was Jackie, Pop!?

Bruno
11-03-2006, 02:06 AM
Eventually? Elson already won that starting job. It's just a matter if Pop will give it to him next game or the game after.

It's only one game.
Let's see what he can do tonight against a true center (big Z). :downspin:

Kori Ellis
11-03-2006, 02:07 AM
where the fvck was Jackie, Pop!?

:lol timvp has said all along that he doesn't think Jackie will play much til the end of the year. He even thinks he'll get the SJax treatment (all season on the bench).

polandprzem
11-03-2006, 02:20 AM
:lol timvp has said all along that he doesn't think Jackie will play much til the end of the year. He even thinks he'll get the SJax treatment (all season on the bench).

Yes I know. :)

It is realy interesting how jackie will end up in this season with the spurs. As every sources saying he is working hard losing fat etc.
We still got Bonner in there ( Kori I can see you are a big fan of him) :fro , so we will see how he can get into spurs system (from what we saw in the preaseason he can be good roleplayer).
November - good opener
King james on the way

whottt
11-03-2006, 03:04 AM
"I know I made a cut and he fell," Bowen said. "As I'm trying to step over him, he's grabbing me. Look at the film.

"I'm sick of all the stuff that takes place with me and Dallas. It always looks like it's something. And who gets the great label for that? Me."

Just keep on keepin' on Bruce...Spurs fans love you....fuck everyone else that doesn't get it.

T Park
11-03-2006, 03:09 AM
Fuck em bruce.

Keep defending and knockin down 3s.

TDMVPDPOY
11-03-2006, 03:15 AM
elson is goin to be like ginoboli of the bench = energy man

SenorSpur
11-03-2006, 03:18 AM
elson is goin to be like ginoboli of the bench = energy man

Fuck that. He's going to move into the starting lineup soon in place of Fab Oberto.

RC's Boss
11-03-2006, 03:18 AM
He played more minutes than Oberto and Horry didn't he?

J.T.
11-03-2006, 03:44 AM
I was wondering why Butler wasn't on the floor after Horry let Croshere go All Star on his ass like 5 times, but Elson impressed me tonight. I hope he starts tomorrow.

Tek_XX
11-03-2006, 03:44 AM
Bowen is so awesome, he never gets raddled even though he knows he's pissing them off and they eventually lose it.

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 04:44 AM
the Spurs might have even found a center who can stay on the floor.
Looks like we might have a big man who can stay on the floor now.Anytime, Johnny -- I'm just a mouse click away.

boutons_
11-03-2006, 04:58 AM
"As I'm trying to step over him"

:lol, step over in a very peculiar, provocative way, Bruce's totally innocent, very nimble feet just can't seem to get clear of Josh real fast, like Bruce was asking Josh to check the soles of Bruce's shoes for gum or dogshit, :lol

or

"Hey Josh while you're down there, check these out. Is it just me or do these new shoes already have an odor?" :lol

Come on, Bruce, you went all RiverDance on Josh. :lol

I hope Pop sends the tape to the league to get Josh suspended for very forcefully pushing Bruce.

jmard5
11-03-2006, 05:22 AM
Cuban might have had sent a tape already to the league. =p

Dalhoop
11-03-2006, 07:39 AM
I liked what I saw for the Mavs tonight. They played the whole game ... well most of them did. (Howard passing on those late shots will have to stop).

Though I don't like end result, it was the result that I thought would happen.

Let me just say now, that at this early point ... and it is early .... That Elson is better then both Rasho and Nazr. If Pop continues to play him (he would be a fool not to), then I would be forced to take back what I said a few months ago about the Spurs center position. He looks like a great pick-up.

Joepa
11-03-2006, 08:42 AM
Oh. My. Goodness.

We heard from a Mavs fan!

*Passes out*

But yes, the Mavs looked good. We've got some great matchups ahead!

Notorious H.O.P.
11-03-2006, 11:18 AM
I was wondering why Butler wasn't on the floor after Horry let Croshere go All Star on his ass like 5 times, but Elson impressed me tonight. I hope he starts tomorrow.

What was up with that? I don't know how the rest of his preseason went but based on this one game, he is already looking like a huge improvement over Van Horn. Which normally isn't saying much although Van Horn did show up in time to help beat us in the playoffs last year.

They lost Daniels but I think if Croshere keeps it up, they will be a better team this year. But with the Spurs making adjustments to help play against these types of teams, I still like our chances to come out on top.