PDA

View Full Version : Buck Harvey does it again

MannyIsGod
11-03-2006, 04:51 AM
What this reminds me of is Bruce Bowen. Bowen sucked for a long time but kept working on it. He was nothing until he got under Pat Riley and Riley made him an NBA player. He came to the Spurs and he just exploded from there.When is dude going to start paying LJ royalties????

Buck Harvey: Spurs get a win and a big Bruce

Web Posted: 11/03/2006 12:22 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News DALLAS — This wasn't Game 8. This doesn't change last spring, nor does it necessarily have much to do with next spring. But there were times when Dirk Nowitzki drove or pulled up for a jumper, and a new yet familiar figure entered this rivalry. Look at the skinny legs. Doesn't Francisco Elson look like a bigger Bruce Bowen?

"In that way," said Tim Duncan, smiling, "yes."

Look at what happened, too. With Elson on Nowitzki and Bowen irritating Josh Howard, the Spurs did something in the second half they rarely did against Dallas in the playoffs.

They played like themselves.

This is what the Spurs hoped for when they signed Elson — a big Bruce to go with the original.

Both players didn't make too much of the win. Both have been around, and Bowen, in particular, can see the work ahead. He draws LeBron James tonight in San Antonio.

So these two have the same perspective, as well as the skinny legs. And the similarities don't stop there. Both stay in shape, and both are more athletic than they are skilled with the basketball.

Both also torpedoed that critique in their first NBA game together. They combined to shoot 10 of 13 with one turnover.

Neither has been particularly coveted by other teams, which is how the Spurs managed to sign Elson last summer. Elson, comparable in some areas to Erick Dampier and better in others, has a contract package worth $59 million less.

But Elson has always been intriguing, because few 7-footers are this fast and active. So why hasn't Elson gotten the kind of attention that, for example, Bowen has?

His previous team, Denver, didn't value defense as the Spurs do. "They had their little schemes," Elson said, "but they were more run and gun."

Elson says no one in Denver dedicated himself to defense as Bowen does, and then there's the general attitude he saw in full force Thursday. "(The Spurs) are so professional," he said. "No giggling, no joking around."

No joking especially in Dallas. Last year the Spurs found themselves without the personnel to defend the way they want to defend. Gregg Popovich went small, because his centers were too slow to keep up with Nowitzki, and that created several other issues.

One was Devin Harris, who never looked better in his career than he did driving because the Spurs were short a shot blocker. Another was Howard, free because Bowen was often occupied with Nowitzki.

Early Thursday it looked like little had changed. Dallas shot over 60 percent for most of the first half, and the only issue with the new microfiber basketball was with a ref. With a hard dribble to the face, he left the floor for good to get five stitches.

Somewhere in there, perhaps inspired by the blood, the Spurs began to tighten. One classic confrontation came at the end of the first half, when Bowen tangled with Howard, and Howard reacted with a slam that put Bowen on the floor.

Howard had better learn to control himself. Bowen will defend him now.

That's because Fab Oberto started and did a decent job on Nowitzki, then Elson followed. Neither stopped Nowitzki, and who knows? On another night maybe Nowitzki makes the two jumpers he missed in the final two minutes, thus changing the tone of this discussion.

But it's also true little was easy for the Mavericks, unlike last spring. Harris didn't have driving lanes, finishing 1 for 6. Howard had to work for his 20 points. And Nowitzki, with a taller man on him, didn't get the same open looks.

It won't always be this way, but there were signs. Once Elson ran the floor for a Manu Ginobili pass, dunking and reacting with a primal scream.

That earned him a technical foul, but how many in San Antonio cared? Rasho Nesterovic, most will remember, rarely did primal screams.

And then there was a rebound with about 30 seconds to go, with Elson springing a foot above the rim, far above the crowd.

Big Bruce, all right.

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 04:55 AM
Ok, that's better than mine.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2006, 04:58 AM
Maybe this year R.C. will get the Exec of the year award he's deserved over the last 6 years

timvp
11-03-2006, 05:24 AM
:lol @ Buck

Hopefully one day you at least slip in a link to SpursTalk.com

FuzzyLumpkins
11-03-2006, 05:46 AM
Yeah because it really wasnt common knowledge that Bowen was emerging as a good defender with the Heat and performed well in the playoffs the year before we signed him....

Man Mountain
11-03-2006, 05:51 AM
Yeah because it really wasnt common knowledge that Bowen was emerging as a good defender with the Heat and performed well in the playoffs the year before we signed him....

I think Manny is talking about the comparing of Bowen's career and that of Elsons.

MannyIsGod
11-03-2006, 06:57 AM
Yeah because it really wasnt common knowledge that Bowen was emerging as a good defender with the Heat and performed well in the playoffs the year before we signed him....It makes me sad someone quoting Bertrand Russell could be so obtuse.

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 07:35 AM
whottt, he did it again. He turned his "apology" into "Buck Harvey steals off me".

:pctoss

Jimcs50
11-03-2006, 08:00 AM
This "no emotions" rule totally blows. Let the players show emotions. I like that the whining will be cut back, but you got to let players at least give some mild shock at bad calls and above all, you have to let a player get excited over a great play, like Ellson did last night.

nkdlunch
11-03-2006, 10:16 AM
Elson better hang out w/Bruce 24/7. Imagine 2 Bruce bowens on the floor!!!!

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 10:19 AM
This "no emotions" rule totally blows. Let the players show emotions. I like that the whining will be cut back, but you got to let players at least give some mild shock at bad calls and above all, you have to let a player get excited over a great play, like Ellson did last night.
If it's a "no emotions" rule, I will completely agree with you. The Elson call is a bad sign, and IMO the league should publicly rescind the technical. They should restrict the enforcement to players showing up officials, because if they get whistle-happy, the support for the rule enforcement will fly right out the window.

Samr
11-03-2006, 10:28 AM
I'll take the tech any day if it means I can watch a Spurs center dunk the damn ball.

wildbill2u
11-03-2006, 10:41 AM
If it's a "no emotions" rule, I will completely agree with you. The Elson call is a bad sign, and IMO the league should publicly rescind the technical. They should restrict the enforcement to players showing up officials, because if they get whistle-happy, the support for the rule enforcement will fly right out the window.
The team on TNT was talking about it last nite and showed the clip where Rasheed got T'd out of the first game. Basically he just spread his hands and had a pained look on his face.

Maybe we're so used to the old ways that we don't appreciate a sportsmanlike acceptance of a foul any more, but it sure looked to me that the refs are going to make everyone into robots with those whistles.

boutons_
11-03-2006, 10:45 AM
This "I-gotta-express-myself emotion" is total bullshit, totally fake acting for the camera, epitomized by loser ballas like Kenyon Gumby Martin, or Malik "jersey-over-my-head" Rose.

This pseudo-emotion is not about the team, it's not about the game, fuck the opponent, it's ALL ABOUT ME in my 3 seconds of camera face time for making what, in my self-congratulating opinion, to be a great play that I won't let go unnoticed.

STFU up and play ball. :)

MajorMike
11-03-2006, 10:51 AM
That earned him a technical foul, but how many in San Antonio cared? Rasho Nesterovic, most will remember, rarely did primal screams.

:p:

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 02:50 PM
The team on TNT was talking about it last nite and showed the clip where Rasheed got T'd out of the first game. Basically he just spread his hands and had a pained look on his face.

Maybe we're so used to the old ways that we don't appreciate a sportsmanlike acceptance of a foul any more, but it sure looked to me that the refs are going to make everyone into robots with those whistles.
I thought Rasheed deserved the technical for that. Guys are getting away with arguing calls, even angrily so long as they aren't gesticulating and jumping around. Rasheed may have to live his rep down. I'm sure nobody is more surprised by that fact than Rasheed himself.

T Park
11-03-2006, 02:56 PM
This "I-gotta-express-myself emotion" is total bullshit, totally fake acting for the camera, epitomized by loser ballas like Kenyon Gumby Martin, or Malik "jersey-over-my-head" Rose.

This pseudo-emotion is not about the team, it's not about the game, fuck the opponent, it's ALL ABOUT ME in my 3 seconds of camera face time for making what, in my self-congratulating opinion, to be a great play that I won't let go unnoticed.

STFU up and play ball

Wow, me and Boutons agree 100% :eek

nkdlunch
11-03-2006, 02:59 PM

I don't think ppl are complaining at techs called for Malik/Kenyon type antics. Just at techs called for raising your arms or yelling while dunking.

if you played ball yourself, you would know screaming, and showing emotion pumps you up more and gives you energy, if players can't do this, they will look like freaking boring drones.

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 03:01 PM

Saved for the next game where the Spurs come out flat and you start complaining about the lack of fire.

T Park
11-03-2006, 03:01 PM
And then there was a rebound with about 30 seconds to go, with Elson springing a foot above the rim, far above the crowd.

:dizzy :elephant :elephant :elephant

MannyIsGod
11-03-2006, 03:03 PM

STFU up and play ball. :)Thats bullshit. People don't play like robots out there. The NBA wants to market the good side of the emotions but doesn't like it when a black guy yells in someones face a little?

Its bullshit. I wonder if MJ jumping up after his shot over the Cavs would earn him a technical now?

MannyIsGod
11-03-2006, 03:03 PM
I don't think ppl are complaining at techs called for Malik/Kenyon type antics. Just at techs called for raising your arms or yelling while dunking.

if you played ball yourself, you would know screaming, and showing emotion pumps you up more and gives you energy, if players can't do this, they will look like freaking boring drones.Exactly, I've never come close to dunking but I know there have been plenty of things I've done on the court that have made me yell.

T Park
11-03-2006, 03:09 PM
The NBA wants to market the good side of the emotions but doesn't like it when a black guy yells in someones face a little

Oh so they are persecuting blacks now Jermaine O'Neal?