PDA

View Full Version : Grades: Spurs @ Mavericks

timvp
11-03-2006, 05:32 AM
Grades are back this year. I slacked off last season but I'm going to try to do them for every game this year. In the new format, I grade each player on their offense, defense and intangibles.

I'm going to add a couple features as the season progresses as the stats start rolling in. I'm also planning some interactive features.

Here are the grades for the Spurs @ Mavericks. (http://www.fullsportpress.com/grades110206.html)

polandprzem
11-03-2006, 05:34 AM
Last season you started with this grades but then stopped doing that.
Why?

Or were they only on fullsport?

timvp
11-03-2006, 05:35 AM
Last season you started with this grades but then stopped doing that.
Why?

Or were they only on fullsport?

I stopped because I didn't have the time. This year I will force myself to do it.

:drunk

polandprzem
11-03-2006, 05:36 AM
Beno Udrih
After missing almost all of training camp and preseason, Udrih came out and played flawless basketball in game number one. With eight points, four assists and no turnovers in 13 minutes, the Spurs got exactly what they want from their backup point guard. If he can avoid injuries and continue to play at this level, Udrih will be one of the best backup point guards in the NBA.
O Grade: 100
D Grade: 97
Intangibles: 100
Final Grade: 99

:lmao

Kori Ellis
11-03-2006, 05:37 AM
I don't know why it's funny. Remember, the players aren't graded against each other. They are graded against how well they are capable of playing. Beno played about as flawless as he can play.

polandprzem
11-03-2006, 05:37 AM
I stopped because I didn't have the time. This year I will force myself to do it.

:tu I'm looking forward

polandprzem
11-03-2006, 05:39 AM
I don't know why it's funny. Remember, the players aren't graded against each other. They are graded against how well they are capable of playing. Beno played about as flawless as he can play.

I know , but after what LJ was saying about Beno all that preaseason that (99 and 'can be the best backup PG) made me laugh.

timvp
11-03-2006, 05:43 AM
I know , but after what LJ was saying about Beno all that preaseason that (99 and 'can be the best backup PG) made me laugh.

I've always said Beno has the talent. It's up to him to work hard and prove to everyone he wants to be a good NBA player.

Kibic
11-03-2006, 05:58 AM
Funny is that it's funny.
His stats.
(8 pts, 4 ast in 14 min) is like
(20 pts, 10 ast in 34 min)

If you look at TP's
(19 pts, 3 ast in 34 min)

it dosn't look so bad for backup PG.

Slo spurs fan
11-03-2006, 06:33 AM
It is great to see grades back. I just love them.
Maybe you should add Pop´s grade and grade players impact in the final result (you know all that little things they do, like change the momentum by great dunk or great assist, steal, block etc).

Slo spurs fan
11-03-2006, 06:34 AM
<---------
Ohh, and what my title says :)

polandprzem
11-03-2006, 07:23 AM
Funny is that it's funny.
His stats.
(8 pts, 4 ast in 14 min) is like
(20 pts, 10 ast in 34 min)

If you look at TP's
(19 pts, 3 ast in 34 min)

it dosn't look so bad for backup PG.

No it doesn't and we are happy about it. I'm not laughing at timvp, but it was soo different from calling him a puss, wuss etc. that it made an instant laugh. I need laugh in my life believe me.
So plus for timvp :)

And what I can add that those 2, Beno and Elson grades were the most emotional from LJ. The surprise duo in the opener.

Kibic
11-03-2006, 07:27 AM
No it doesn't and we are happy about it. I'm not laughing at timvp, but it was soo different from calling him a puss, wuss etc. that it made an instant laugh. I need laugh in my life believe me.
So plus for timvp :)

And what I can add that those 2, Beno and Elson grades were the most emotional from LJ. The surprise duo in the opener.
:tu

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 07:33 AM
So . . I clicked on all four ads (*holds nose*).

Only one I quibble with is Horry gets 78 on offense??? He was even wores offensively than Duncan.

Shaolin-Style
11-03-2006, 07:39 AM
While I enjoy the grades stuff myself there's a myth that they're super bad luck on a team.

Spurs tank this season to get a special draftee I'm superstitiously putting it on you buddy :P

Supergirl
11-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Good article. Not worried about Duncan's off game, we all know he starts the season off slow anyway. I'm most excited about Elson's play. It should put all the doubters to rest for awhile.

Oberto needs to play better, if only because he's on my fantasy team.

dougp
11-03-2006, 08:26 AM
So . . I clicked on all four ads (*holds nose*).

Only one I quibble with is Horry gets 78 on offense??? He was even wores offensively than Duncan.
I don't know about worse than Tim on O ... Tim bricked a couple shots pretty badly early on. I'm really wondering what caused it, new ball in a regular season game or what? Who knows.

Beno was very suprising, especially with NO turnovers, something we all know he is very capable of ... hah! :spin

angel_luv
11-03-2006, 08:31 AM
Beno Udrih
After missing almost all of training camp and preseason, Udrih came out and played flawless basketball in game number one. With eight points, four assists and no turnovers in 13 minutes, the Spurs got exactly what they want from their backup point guard. If he can avoid injuries and continue to play at this level, Udrih will be one of the best backup point guards in the NBA.
O Grade: 100
D Grade: 97
Intangibles: 100
Final Grade: 99

:tu

Beno's doing awesome. I'm super proud of him. :)

Props to everyone- Elson was the surprise for me. I didn't anticipate that he would do so well so quickly.

2centsworth
11-03-2006, 08:50 AM
Intangibles for Tim Duncan 56? That's failing, please explain.

btw, I didn't see the game.

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 09:39 AM
Tim actually screwed up a couple of good runs the Spurs had.

wildbill2u
11-03-2006, 10:33 AM
Grades are back this year. I slacked off last season but I'm going to try to do them for every game this year. In the new format, I grade each player on their offense, defense and intangibles.

I'm going to add a couple features as the season progresses as the stats start rolling in. I'm also planning some interactive features.

Here are the grades for the Spurs @ Mavericks. (http://www.fullsportpress.com/grades110206.html) :smokin
I have a question about the grades. Are they based on the player's ability, eg played to 85% of 100 max or value to the team or some other construct.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-03-2006, 10:45 AM
P.S.

If you can *cough* support the sponsors at the end of the article, that'd be much appreciated and will help pay for the coming improvements.

Thanks.

:smokin

Fuck that. I'm not buying season tickets to the Knicks.

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 10:48 AM
Clickee, no buyee.

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 10:49 AM
(:lol that wasn't even intended to be a LaChino crack, but oh, well.)

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Yes! I always loved the grades threads, especially for games I wasn't able to watch. Much more enlightening than just a box score or an article. Glad to have them back.

ducks
11-03-2006, 12:23 PM

NO KISSES FROM KORI TELL YOU DO :devil

jman3000
11-03-2006, 12:35 PM
Steve Kerr gets a F for looking like he has a wig on.

Marv Albert gets an A for actually having a wig on.

kinbenzoo
11-03-2006, 01:16 PM
Thanks.

smeagol
11-03-2006, 01:28 PM
Thanks LJ.

The season you went all the way with you grades was the season the Spurs went all the way.

Keep that in mind.

If you fail, let it be on your head.

timvp
11-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Intangibles for Tim Duncan 56? That's failing, please explain.

btw, I didn't see the game.

I didn't like Duncan's energy or aggressiveness last night at all. For a lot of minutes, he was the worst Spur on the court. While most of the Spurs came out fired up, Duncan was flat and timid ... thus the low intangibles score.

timvp
11-03-2006, 02:01 PM
I have a question about the grades. Are they based on the player's ability, eg played to 85% of 100 max or value to the team or some other construct.

Yeah, the grades are based on each player's potential. For example, Udrih didn't play that much but he was nearly flawless, so his grade reflects that.

That's not to say that Beno was the second best Spur last game, but that he played about as well as Beno Udrih could play.

FromWayDowntown
11-03-2006, 02:04 PM
FWIW, the plus/minus numbers from last night:

+8 -- Finley
+7 -- Duncan
+6 -- Udrih
+4 -- Elson
+3 -- Horry
+3 -- Bowen
+1 -- Vaughn
EVEN -- Parker
-1 -- Oberto
-1 -- Ginobili

Pretty well reflects the back-and-forth nature of the game, I think. I thought Manu was much, much more effective last night than this number would indicate, but that's the imperfect quality of any metric.

jman3000
11-03-2006, 02:12 PM
i thought duncan looked good the first few minutes but then after diop started getting physical and blocked a couple of his shots duncan took a few jumpers in a row. he still played good help D on dirk and came up big with that put back down the stretch.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Nice work Mr TIM Vice President!

Timmy's putback at the end to put the Spurs back up by 4 probably ended any real threat by the Mavs. For that reason alone I might have scored him a little higher, but he'd probably agree that he didn't earn a passing grade last night.

I thought the same thing you did about Beno's performance. Great game. The team didn't lose a step with him on the floor. It was nice to see. With VanX last post season I would be counting the seconds until Pop would pull him. It would be nice to have a point guard who could be reliable behind Tony.

T Park
11-03-2006, 03:05 PM
+1 -- Vaughn

Pretty good work for 17 seconds worth.

Slo spurs fan
11-03-2006, 03:22 PM
Plaese have something in mind: a single point was NOT scored on Beno last night.
So he pleyed great defence too.
PS: I just saw the game.

jman3000
11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
beno also did a good job when he was trapped hard about mid court and got the ball out... it looked like it was about to be a turn over.

timvp
11-03-2006, 06:19 PM
Good idea about grading Pop. I will add that from now on.

Spurologist
11-03-2006, 07:52 PM
Based on their performances, those grades are dead-on

Slo spurs fan
11-03-2006, 10:53 PM
Good idea about grading Pop. I will add that from now on.
You will have a lot to do after tonight´s game :(

Nero
11-03-2006, 10:58 PM
I have a feeling a lineup of TD/Elson or Butler/Bnner/Manu/TP or is our best. Yeah, I know I left Bowen off, but really he's not doing as well defensively as he used too, since the rules have tightened and he's gotten older. We can bring him in against the good shooting guards, but he can't deal with these big 3s. Yeah, I know Bonner can't either, but at least he gives us some rebounding. Bowen is the worst rebounding SF in the L, which is where our woes there starts and gets shoved aside in the paint by big 3s when trying to box out. We lose nothing on offense with Bonner, and gain rebounding. Elson quickness and good help D will make up for Bonner's lapses.

Kori Ellis
11-04-2006, 12:33 AM
You are crazy if you think Bowen isn't going to start. He's still the best perimeter defender in the league.

And you realize Bonner isn't a good rebounder, right?

Nero
11-04-2006, 12:37 AM
Bonner is a better rebounder than Bowen. He still sux for a SF, but not incredibly so, and he can box strong players out in the paint to allow someone else to get the rebound. Bowen just gets overpowered now. Bowen is a great defender against shooting, agile wingmen. If there's one we got to slow down, then he should get the start. Against a team like the Cavs, he not very effective.

Kori Ellis
11-04-2006, 12:38 AM
No one was going to slow down LeBron today. Especially not Matt Bonner. He's slow, out of shape, and just a shooter.

T Park
11-04-2006, 01:07 AM
Id love to find the guy that can "stop" Lebron.

That guy doesn't exist yet.

He shot 8-23 I thought though, not bad.....

Kibic
11-04-2006, 02:49 AM
Id love to find the guy that can "stop" Lebron.

That guy doesn't exist yet.

He shot 8-23 I thought though, not bad.....
WC 2006