PDA

View Full Version : Cuban a grad of NBA's Stern U.

DFW Spurs
11-03-2006, 09:57 AM
MAVERICKS NOTESCuban a grad of NBA's Stern U.
By DWAIN PRICE and MERCEDES MAYER
Star-Telegram Staff WriterS

DALLAS - Mavericks owner Mark Cuban said he's a changed man.

In an interview before Thursday's regular-season opener against San Antonio, Cuban said he's going to do his best to become a team player and be just like the other 29 NBA owners. He e-mailed NBA commissioner David Stern to inform him of his newfound attitude.

"I feel blessed," Cuban said. "I was able to see the light, and I'm reborn.

"It's no longer Mark Cuban the benefactor. It's Mark Cuban the David Stern disciple. And I say that with all seriousness."

Cuban became irate after the NBA recently implemented a code of conduct for the owners that he believed was directed at him. The league has instructed him not to leave his baseline seat and go into the Mavs' huddles any more.

"I thought I was just some schlep on the sidelines enjoying the game," Cuban said. "Now it's just the other benefit of going to school at the University of David Stern.

"Maybe one night I'll be like [Phoenix Suns owner] Robert Sarver, and another night I'll be up in the suites."

Asked if he knew how to get to his suite, Cuban said: "No. I need directions."

"There's 29 folks I can learn quite a bit from, and I plan on doing it," he said. "Maybe the commissioner will have a follow-around day.

"That would be really cool. Shadow [Stern] for a day. Take Mark to Work Day.

"I can't be thankful enough for the league in helping me become a better manager and a better owner. Now I'll be like everybody else, and that's something special."

Popovich upset

Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said it upset him that Mavs owner Mark Cuban cursed Spurs guard Bruce Bowen after Game 6 of last season's Western semifinal series.

"That's pretty unbelievable," Popovich said. "There might be a rabid, irate fan somewhere in the U.S. that might do something like that, and probably has.

"But you wouldn't expect that from an owner."

Cuban apologized to Bowen before Game 7.

George still out

Coach Avery Johnson said Devean George is still feeling "woozy" with a stomach illness, so George will not travel to Houston for Saturday's game.

Rivalry

The "hate" word was flying around leading up to the Spurs game, and Avery Johnson said the rivalry is great.

"I think it's awesome," Johnson said. "The Mavericks, for years, we were trying to get to this level. How can you have that type of venom or competitiveness if you don't have two good teams? We'd hate to be two bad teams."

The Mavs and Spurs met 11 times last season with Dallas winning six games, including beating San Antonio in seven games in the second round of the playoffs.

Briefly

Referee Jess Kersey left the game with a cut on his chin after he was hit by the basketball with 1:59 left in the second quarter. He received stitches and did not return.

A moment of silence was observed before the game in memory of former Celtics coach, GM and president Red Auerbach, who died Saturday.

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 09:59 AM
Cuban apologized to Bowen before Game 7.
He did?

Trainwreck2100
11-03-2006, 10:41 AM
He didn't do it face to face, he like had some guy wait outside the locker room or something

Dirk41MVP
11-03-2006, 01:29 PM
cause they wouldn't allow him to go into the lockerroom obviously. Bowen denied cuban's request and didn't give permission to go in there. I don't blame him though

cornbread
11-03-2006, 06:52 PM
Mark Cuban's remarks remind me of something I would say when I was 13 years old. Obviously I did not own an NBA team when I was 13 but the relentless sarcasm, the f*** you to authority attitude, and the fact that he thinks his remarks are so clever while everybody else just rolls their eyes... it's all so juvenille.