PDA

View Full Version : It's Done!! Our Newest Spur: James White

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 12:54 PM
Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/blogs.php?blogid=3)

Two year deal.

LilMissSPURfect
11-03-2006, 12:57 PM
awesome!!

dougp
11-03-2006, 12:58 PM
Let's hope this one works out ... that dunk video was sick.

usckk
11-03-2006, 12:59 PM
Wow. Great!

Brutalis
11-03-2006, 12:59 PM
I wonder how real it is.

whottt
11-03-2006, 01:01 PM
Fucking sweet...

Going to go post this on some LakerBoards since they were also wanting White...they are way too happy right now for my tastes.

2 year deal, if it's a RFA deal, means there is virtually no way we lose White if he pans out...

Kori Ellis
Not a good source, but hopefully it's true -- let me go try to find out.

cornbread
An athletic youthful pick up? I don't believe it!

Mavs<Spurs
This offseason now is beginning to look like an unqualified success and one of the best we have had in a long time.

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 01:02 PM
Draft Express is more solid than most. They're no hoopsworld for dumping rumors, but yeah, it's good to take with a grain of salt. DX has a reputation for credibility to live up to.

Kori Ellis
11-03-2006, 01:03 PM
Draft Express is more solid than most. They're no hoopsworld, but yeah. DX has a reputation for credibility.

It's solid most of the time. Givony has been in major trouble in the past for printing lies however.

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 01:04 PM
It's solid most of the time. Givony has been in major trouble in the past for printing lies however.

There was the one time an agent got upset with him for reporting on a draft workout. As far as I know, it was a strongarm technique with nothing behind it.

But we could use other sources, of course.

drivanroca
11-03-2006, 01:05 PM
Draft Express (http://www.draftexpress.com/blogs.php?blogid=3)

Two year deal.
:tu

TDMVPDPOY
get ready for the slam dunk champion banners :D:D

so what number will he wear?

Kori Ellis
It's official:

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have signed James White. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

White, a 6-7 guard/forward, was most recently in training camp with the Indiana Pacers. In 8 preseason games with Indiana he averaged 3.8 points and 2.0 rebounds in 17.5 minutes of action. White also averaged 12.5 points with Indiana’s entry to the Pepsi Pro Summer League in Orlando. Selected with 31st overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers, White was traded to the Pacers in a draft night deal.

White attended the University of Cincinnati where he led the Bearcats in scoring (16.3) and free throw percentage (.838) during the 2005-06 season. An honorable mention All-Big East selection, he finished second on the Bearcats in steals (1.2), assists (2.0) and blocks (0.9) and third in rebounding (5.1) on the year. White scored a career-high 32 points, including a career-high five three-pointers, in a Big East Tourney loss to Syracuse on 3/8.

The Spurs roster stands at 15.

leemajors
11-03-2006, 01:06 PM
awesome.

davi78239
11-03-2006, 01:07 PM
Yes!!!!!!!

SupaManu
11-03-2006, 01:09 PM
Sweeeeeet!!!! I wanted this guy on draft night, great signing.

2Cleva
11-03-2006, 01:10 PM
Good pickup for the Spurs.

Some Laker fans were moaning that LA didn't get him but if I'm White's agent, SA is a great spot. He goes to a vet team without a lot of athleticism where he gets a chance to make an impact at the 2/3. In LA, he wouldn't have a shot at the rotation and would be low on the development chart.

Again, good move for the Spurs. And no doubt he'll be the Dunk Champ. I was telling people last year that White would have won it then, and people had jokes until they saw the clips.

timvp
11-03-2006, 01:11 PM
After all these years and it finally happens :elephant

Oh and it's going to be cool to have the NBA slam dunk champion wearing a Spurs uni.

SenorSpur
11-03-2006, 01:11 PM
Yippie "fucking" Yea!

The long-awaited understudy has arrived.

What a happy day!

lefty
11-03-2006, 01:12 PM
:flag:

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 01:13 PM
Collectively, GMs around the league go, "Damn it!"

Money for nothing and picks for free.

SupaManu
11-03-2006, 01:15 PM
Man im excited about this signing.

Mavs<Spurs
11-03-2006, 01:15 PM
It's official:

SAN ANTONIO – The San Antonio Spurs announced today that they have signed James White. Per team policy, terms of the deals were not disclosed.

White, a 6-7 guard/forward, was most recently in training camp with the Indiana Pacers. In 8 preseason games with Indiana he averaged 3.8 points and 2.0 rebounds in 17.5 minutes of action. White also averaged 12.5 points with Indiana’s entry to the Pepsi Pro Summer League in Orlando. Selected with 31st overall pick in the 2006 NBA Draft by the Portland Trail Blazers, White was traded to the Pacers in a draft night deal.

White attended the University of Cincinnati where he led the Bearcats in scoring (16.3) and free throw percentage (.838) during the 2005-06 season. An honorable mention All-Big East selection, he finished second on the Bearcats in steals (1.2), assists (2.0) and blocks (0.9) and third in rebounding (5.1) on the year. White scored a career-high 32 points, including a career-high five three-pointers, in a Big East Tourney loss to Syracuse on 3/8.

The Spurs roster stands at 15.

Okay, so it appears that many people consider him the long athletic 3 to guard on the wing that we needed. So, how does this help us? Against whom? Who are players he could help slow down?
Since Bowen is up there in age, I think that there might be more time for him than I previously thought (as did other posters).

Where do we stand now? How much of a contribution do we expect? How many minutes should he get?

Lots of questions, but from what people here have said, I am excited about this pickup. And Elson was amazing last night.

You can't teach athleticism. With Parker, Elson, Manu, and now White, we seem to have some good athletes on our team.

I hope that we give him minutes.

whottt
11-03-2006, 01:16 PM

Oh and it's going to be cool to have the NBA slam dunk champion wearing a Spurs uni.

Werd...

It's also going to be cool to put to rest the myth that a White man can't jump. :fro

jman3000
11-03-2006, 01:16 PM
:downspin:

nkdlunch
11-03-2006, 01:17 PM
i don't get it. why did indiana let him go?

spurtime
11-03-2006, 01:20 PM

Too many guys at the swing spots and they were really high on Josh Powell and Rawle Marshall...They had a logjam. Since he was a 2nd round pick the amount of guaranteed money was minimal.

Mavs<Spurs

Why did the Nuggets let Elson go?
Why did NY let Butler go?
Why did Jordan get drafted third?

timvp

Roster crunch. 16 guaranteed contracts. White was probably the player on the roster that helped them the least to win this season. The Pacers already have 6-7 wings in front of him.

Rick Carlisle was literally crying when they let him go, so it's not like they wanted to waive him.

T Park
The long three that was looked for is found.

Offseason and front office geniuses again?

Just curious what the prevailing winds say.

Samr
11-03-2006, 01:21 PM
Cuban should be sweating. Because now that we have White, come the playoffs (which should be enough time to develop).....

White goes on Howard, which clears room for.....
Bowen on Dirk, which means.....
Elson and Duncan have their hands free

Scared much?

T Park
11-03-2006, 01:22 PM
Rick Carlisle was literally crying when they let him go, so it's not like they wanted to waive him.

Suck it carlisle.

Suck it long, and suck it hard. (seanconnery accent)

T Park
11-03-2006, 01:23 PM
I don't know how much White produces this year.

Prob will go with Butler on the training program.

But now you have White, Butler, Parker, ALL under the age of 25.

:smokin

td4mvp3
what's the big deal about this guy? folks are going apey and i saw the clip of the dunk and it was cool and all, but his stats don't point to anything spectacular and nor does his draft number. who is he on par with?

Samr
Just curious what the prevailing winds say.

The prevailing winds say it's a great day to go sailing.

Boat, of course, provided courtesy of Indiana.

Mr. Body
Sad for Indiana and Carlisle. That sucks for them, it really does.

But...

:ihit :downspin:

T Park
11-03-2006, 01:24 PM
IMO tbhis also frees up trading Brent Barry for picks.

What the heck.

Williams fills his spot, White fills William's spot.

Be rid of some dead weight, get a pick or two, and let the kid get some PT.

jman3000
Bowen on Dirk, which means.....

no thanks.

MajorMike
Do you think we had an early pickup in mind when we went down to 14?

101A
11-03-2006, 01:25 PM
who is he on par with?

From what I've read...Bruce Bowen (eventually), with hops.

Samr
11-03-2006, 01:26 PM
But now you have White, Butler, Parker, ALL under the age of 25

Suffice to say, the Spurs have a new, young Big Three come a few more years. Move Duncan into a more Robinson-esque role as he starts to age. Formula look familiar?

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 01:26 PM
what's the big deal about this guy? folks are going apey and i saw the clip of the dunk and it was cool and all, but his stats don't point to anything spectacular and nor does his draft number. who is he on par with?

His athleticism is through the roof. He has good height for a SF, if not great. He needs to put on weight. He has a decent jump shot and good handles, shoots free throws very well. He's known for being a defender and a potential lockdown defender. He has a good attitude and is a solid worker.

That said, he's a project and may not work out for a while. May not ever work out. He his a plateau in college - perhaps due to coaching shuffles - and there are suggestions he doesn't have the highest basketball IQ.

td4mvp3
11-03-2006, 01:28 PM
From what I've read...Bruce Bowen (eventually), with hops.
i mean as of right now. i don't think he's in bowen's league defensively for the nba, otherwise he'd be kept by someone or drafted higher. or maybe i'm just talking out of my tail. but who, among say the draft that just went down, would he stack up to?

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 01:28 PM
IMO tbhis also frees up trading Brent Barry for picks.

What the heck.

I wonder if Barry not playing yesterday meant anything.

Nah.

timvp
11-03-2006, 01:31 PM
Do you think we had an early pickup in mind when we went down to 14?

Perhaps but tough to tell. The Spurs didn't know James White was getting released when they made their cuts. They were probably hoping a long three somewhere would be available, but were probably shocked when it turned out to be the guy they wanted at draft time.

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 01:32 PM
Perhaps but tough to tell. The Spurs didn't know James White was getting released when they made their cuts. They were probably hoping a long three somewhere would be available, but were probably shocked when it turned out to be the guy they wanted at draft time.

I'm pretty sure they made the cuts knowing either Rawle Marshall or James White was going to get cut. If you took a look at the Indiana situation, it was nearly inevitable -- and they thought the risk was clearly one to make.

IMO, this is exactly what they did. (I think they actually thought they were going to get Marshall but were pleased to see White.)

whottt
11-03-2006, 01:33 PM
His athleticism is through the roof. He has good height for a SF, if not great..

Not if he's 6'7 he doesn't...SF's don't get much smaller than that in the NBA these days...Bruce is undersized for the position IMO, he's just able to do it because he's Bruce.

timvp
11-03-2006, 01:33 PM
I'm pretty sure they made the cuts knowing either Rawle Marshall or James White was going to get cut. If you took a look at the Indiana situation, it was nearly inevitable -- and they thought the risk was clearly one to make.

IMO, this is exactly what they did. (I think they actually thought they were going to get Marshall.)

The Spurs could have been hoping, but there was also a chance they cut Maceo Baston, Orien Greene or find a taker for Sarunas Jasikevicius or Stephen Jackson.

Plus, Marshall doesn't get through waivers.

whottt
11-03-2006, 01:34 PM
I don't think what Bowen does on D can be taught, it's 90% desire and nothing more...but this guy is supposed to be a very skilled perimeter defender.

K-State Spur
11-03-2006, 01:34 PM
Barry just doesn't match up with any of the Mavs defensively. Even with the Mavs hitting their shots early - they were hitting shots. I don't think Pop wanted to put Barry in and start seeing lay-ups.

Barry may be out of the regular rotation and only play in favorable match-ups at this point. Or maybe I am reading too much into one game...

Kori Ellis
11-03-2006, 01:35 PM
Not if he's 6'7 he doesn't...SF's don't get much smaller than that in the NBA these days...Bruce is undersized for the position IMO, he's just able to do it because he's Bruce.

When you touch the top of the backboard, height is a little less important.

ca®lo
11-03-2006, 01:36 PM
Fucking Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

The 5 of Parker Manu White Duncan and Elson would be so fuc*ing sweet. offensively that is.

Cant wait to see white in action!!!! Been waiting for this atheletic type of player to go to the spurs for years!

whottt
11-03-2006, 01:36 PM

Agree...but that doesn't change the fact that 6'7 is not great height for a SF. Great Height for a SF these days is 6'10-6'11.

ca®lo
11-03-2006, 01:38 PM
"and is hailed for his potential to be a defensive stopper"

sounds good to me :)

makes losing j.r. smith last year almost a fiction.

jmard5
11-03-2006, 01:38 PM

Well, if he is going to be groomed like the next Bowen, then there is really no need to worry about stats.

Mavs<Spurs
11-03-2006, 01:39 PM

So, what do you think, Kori?

Will he get minutes?
Who would he guard?
Potential?

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 01:39 PM
The Spurs could have been hoping, but there was also a chance they cut Maceo Baston, Orien Greene or find a taker for Sarunas Jasikevicius or Stephen Jackson.

Plus, Marshall doesn't get through waivers.

If White gets through waivers, Marshall does, too. There weren't that many teams with roster spots available and none obviously needing him.

It wasn't guaranteed, but they must have thought: Orien Greene defends better than their first two PGs, Tinsley is injury prone, and Saras has troubles with the NBA speed -- they already had said he wasn't going anywhere. Maceo Baston has game experience and is insurance for often-injured J O'Neal, Foster and erratic Harrison. They'd likely keep Powell. It was likely no one would trade for Saras or SJax - their contracts are bad (the Pacers probably gave the Spurs a call on these guys).

With three young SFs deep behind Granger, Marquis Daniels, SJax (as a 3), etc., it was highly likely Marshall/White is available.

Anyway, not to say they ever thought it was 100%, but it was worth saying goodbye to Melvin Sanders for the shot at it. Just saying they must have had this scenario in mind.

timvp
11-03-2006, 01:41 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnDhL-a0v8

He's already a top five dunker of all-time before he even steps on an NBA court.

Kori Ellis
11-03-2006, 01:42 PM
So, what do you think, Kori?

Will he get minutes?
Who would he guard?
Potential?

Pop might throw him some minutes here and there. He could probably work himself ahead of Barry (who didn't play yesterday) in the rotation. If he works hard, he has the physical talent to become a Bruce Bowen type defender in the future.

T Park
11-03-2006, 01:43 PM
Spurs have a playa in the dunk contest.

First time since Cadillac Anderson in the late 80s?

I remember Sean Elliott was gonna do it one year, but got hurt right before.

timvp
11-03-2006, 01:44 PM
If White gets through waivers, Marshall does, too. There weren't that many teams with roster spots available and none obviously needing him.

White got through waivers because his first two seasons were fully guaranteed. If a team picked him up, they'd be on the hook for over $1M. Marshall had an ungauranteed contract for the rest of this season.

T Park
11-03-2006, 01:46 PM
That SOB's foot was like 5 inches behind the FT line on that one dunk....

Whoa...

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-03-2006, 01:46 PM
Well I guess all the folks in meltdown when we cut Melvin Sanders owe a certain "cheap" owner an apology.

T Park
11-03-2006, 01:47 PM
How old is White, about 20? 21?

T Park
11-03-2006, 01:48 PM
owe a certain "cheap" owner an apology.

Where is Mr. Cryant at?

Holt the cheap Bastard let em sign a 15th bguy, and a 2 year contract on top of it.

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 01:48 PM
White got through waivers because his first two seasons were fully guaranteed. If a team picked him up, they'd be on the hook for over $1M. Marshall had an ungauranteed contract for the rest of this season.

I still don't know who takes him. Maybe someone makes a cut, I don't know, but with Jalen Rose coming on the market, it would take someone like Phoenix or Detroit off the market.

But we're not arguing here. San Antonio jumped on a fantastic opportunity, plain and simple.

Kori Ellis
11-03-2006, 01:49 PM

24, he was in college five years. He transferred and had to sit out a year.

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 01:50 PM

He was a 5th year senior, due to a transfer from Florida. He's 24 already. As a rookie, older than Butler.

T Park
11-03-2006, 01:50 PM
24?

Hmmm...... Puts a slight damper on things. But oh well. Still the young, long elusive SF that we have been opining for for years now.

T Park
11-03-2006, 01:52 PM
The things that jump out other than his freakish athleticism are one other thing.

Defensive stopper.

If hes considered that now, and after Bowen gets a hold of him?

Could we be looking at the perfect storm?

Good shooting coach in England to help his form. Great influences in Duncan, and Finley.

Perfect situation it sounds like for this guy.

Kori Ellis
11-03-2006, 01:52 PM
24?

Hmmm...... Puts a slight damper on things. But oh well. Still the young, long elusive SF that we have been opining for for years now.

Why does it put a damper on things? He just got out of college.

jman3000
11-03-2006, 01:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqnDhL-a0v8

He's already a top five dunker of all-time before he even steps on an NBA court.
jesus christos.

polandprzem
11-03-2006, 01:55 PM
I LOVE YOU ALL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVEN T PARK

:elephant

Mavs<Spurs
11-03-2006, 01:55 PM

When you can touch the top of the backboard, you can probably put some points up on the board also.

:clap

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Agree...but that doesn't change the fact that 6'7 is not great height for a SF. Great Height for a SF these days is 6'10-6'11.

The guy has done a between his legs dunk from the FT line, and you're bitching about 3 inches in height? Let it go.

I don't get why people are bummed about his age.

Look at the 'future' core of the Spurs (post-Duncan):

Jackie Butler 21
James White 24
Tony Parker 24
Beno 24
Ian is what, 19?

T Park
11-03-2006, 01:56 PM
Flight (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewprofile.php?p=71)

Looks promising on the predraft bio.

Like the work ethic. The mental toughness is slightly worrisome.

mcdunk
11-03-2006, 01:57 PM
Very nice pickup. This addition could end up making up for the disappointing offseason.

easjer
11-03-2006, 01:58 PM
Those dunks are fucking sick. Damn this is fanstastic news.

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 01:58 PM
He is incredibly skinny. Rails for arms.

He does not dunk in traffic. At least according to reports.

In preseason, he had trouble fouling perimeter players with his hands. He'll need to use his feet more.

Those are downsides. He'll pay off down the line.

NOT BAD FOR FREE.

T Park
11-03-2006, 01:59 PM

Jackie Butler 21
James White 24
Tony Parker 24
Beno 24
Ian is what, 19?

I shouldn't say bummed, that was my fault I apologize.

I had in my head that this kid was an early entry 20 year old, and raw freakish long SF.

But I agree, the core and future does look better.

Include in there Sanikidze who is what, 20 also?

Thats suhweet :)

Kori Ellis
11-03-2006, 02:00 PM
The guy has done a between his legs dunk from the FT line, and you're bitching about 3 inches in height? Let it go.

Jackie Butler 21
James White 24
Tony Parker 24
Beno 24
Ian is what, 19?

I didn't get being bummed about the age either. People bitch that players don't stay in college, then he does and people think he's old. :lol He just turned 24, 2 weeks ago.

T Park
11-03-2006, 02:02 PM
This addition could end up making up for the disappointing offseason.

After last night with Elson, the potential of Butler, and getting rid of the dead weight, you STILL thought it was dissapointing?

God you people are insufferable.

whottt
11-03-2006, 02:05 PM
?

Who is bitching? And where have I been critical of the signing...Just saying that 6'7 is not fucking great height for a SF...and it isn't.

So let what go...that 6'7 isn't great height for a SF?

Ok, at 6'7 he's going to tower over the other SF's in the NBA and make them look like Earl Boykins.

Happy now?

And since I'm feeling generous...the Aggies don't suck and will beat UT this year.

Ok, the last flight off of planet stupid is leaving now...gotta go, see ya.

T Park
11-03-2006, 02:06 PM
Ok, the last flight off of planet stupid is leaving now...gotta go, see ya.

Isn't there a probation officer that says no travel out of that planet due to the blind support of Brent Barry? :spin

ca®lo
11-03-2006, 02:07 PM
After last night with Elson, the potential of Butler, and getting rid of the dead weight, you STILL thought it was dissapointing?

God you people are insufferable.

make that spoiled.

whottt
11-03-2006, 02:11 PM
Isn't there a probation officer that says no travel out of that planet due to the blind support of Brent Barry? :spin

I hear he's out enforcing all the I won't post for a year warrants that were issued to retards the year BRENT BARRY was our back up guard rotation and we won a championship.

If I were you...well, post less, hide more.

easjer
11-03-2006, 02:11 PM
He's 24, which means in 4 years he'll be old! And he'll need at least a year to settle in!

The sky is falling! AhhhhhhhhhhHH!

Nah, j/k.

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 02:12 PM
According to DraftExpress...

Best Case Scenario: Andre Iguodala
Worst Case Scenario: Qyntel Woods

Borosai
11-03-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm so happy in the pants, it's not funny.

And I'm still going to stuff my face with strawberry ice cream and bananas...because I'm feeling so warm inside.

Be right back...

Joepa
11-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Dude....

I'm so excited. And I just can't hide it. I'm about to lose control and I think I like it.

RC's Boss
11-03-2006, 02:17 PM
:wakeup told you I was working on it.

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 02:20 PM
Good stuff. He won't play this season.

LilMissSPURfect
11-03-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm so happy in the pants, it's not funny.

And I'm still going to stuff my face with strawberry ice cream and bananas...because I'm feeling so warm inside.

Be right back...

:oink Its what I'm talking bout!!!!! :oink :toast :toast :hungry: :hungry:

Dro210
11-03-2006, 02:23 PM
I'm so happy, I can't even describe it? Anybody feel like celebrating this? Cause I do.

:clap :drunk :downspin: :flag:

whottt
11-03-2006, 02:24 PM
He won't play this season.

And?

AFBlue
11-03-2006, 02:25 PM
i mean as of right now. i don't think he's in bowen's league defensively for the nba, otherwise he'd be kept by someone or drafted higher. or maybe i'm just talking out of my tail. but who, among say the draft that just went down, would he stack up to?

Josh Howard was known as a defensive-minded player and he lasted to the 29th pick. Just because someone doesn't go in the lottery, doesn't mean they don't have potential or upside.

Sure this kid has negatives (too skinny, inconsistent shot), but he's going to a place where he'll have time to develop and as we've seen, the Spurs are pretty good at developing young talent (TP and now JB).

Personally I'd like to see this kid in action before I annoint him the answer to all our prayers. As was stated before, his career numbers are not that impressive, but I am excited about his potential.

Good Job Spurs FO!

T Park
11-03-2006, 02:25 PM
I hear he's out enforcing all the I won't post for a year warrants that were issued to retards the year BRENT BARRY was our back up guard rotation and we won a championship.

If I were you...well, post less, hide more.

No thanks.

BTW Brent came off the bench as the main guard last year and sucked ass again.

So whats the dealy there?

Keep holding onto strands though :)

Good stuff. He won't play this season.

I disagree.

picnroll
11-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Isn't he a Jackie Butler style project? Nice to have a couple of those on the shelve but he won't be seeing anything but IR on Austin I'm assuming.

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 02:27 PM
And?And nothing. Nice to have him for the future.

timvp
11-03-2006, 02:28 PM
I don't think White plays much for the Spurs this season. Pop will give him a chance at some point but I'm guessing that he will see most of his action in practice.

whottt
11-03-2006, 02:28 PM
No thanks.

BTW Brent came off the bench as the main guard last year and sucked ass again.

IT's irrelevant since I didn't jock him last year, was more than okay with moving him for younger talent...and was in favor of keeping Devin Brown...

THe important thing is that when I did jock him, I was right. Title = Right....I know you struggle with just what it means to be right due to lack of experience...but I'm it.

There are no absolutes and eternities in sports...just because a player is the solution one year doesn't mean he is the final solution.

The Barry war was won in 05...period end.

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 02:30 PM
Isn't he a Jackie Butler style project? Nice to have a couple of those on the shelve but he won't be seeing anything but IR on Austin I'm assuming.I went to the Toros' draft party last night. Apparently all the players they kept from last year are PF/C types. Judging from the guys they drafted, White would have no problem finding big minutes here in Austin. Something to think about.

Kori Ellis
11-03-2006, 02:31 PM
Melvin Sanders played in 16 games last year. James White should into some this season. I don't think he'll be on the inactive list every game of the year.

AFBlue
Isn't he a Jackie Butler style project? Nice to have a couple of those on the shelve but he won't be seeing anything but IR on Austin I'm assuming.

Depends on his progress and on the moves made by the Spurs FO. If he progresses quickly and the Spurs trade Williams or Barry, he'll see some legit time this year.

For now, I'm just happy the Spurs filled the 15th spot with a legit long-term addition. I will expect little to nothing from White and Butler, but will hope for the best.

Budkin
Wow, just got back from lunch and saw the news. Great day in Spurs history! :downspin:

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 02:32 PM
Yeah, I was exaggerating, but he'll get Sanders/1st year Jack minutes -- not much more.

PM5K
11-03-2006, 02:32 PM
and nor does his draft number

Two words: Tony - Manu

whottt
11-03-2006, 02:35 PM
And nothing. Nice to have him for the future.

Well that's all he's billed as is Bowen's replacement....

FWIW I agree with you but I don't think it's a big deal...

I think there is a tendency by the Silver and Black faithful to pencil him in as the big long SF we've needed for so long and at 6'7 200lbs I don't agree. I don't care how long he is or how high he jumps...that's smaller than Manu.

I don't see him filling that role against LeBron, Artest, TMac and the like, you know, the 250lbers or 7 footers that play the position and give us so much trouble even when Bruce is on them. That's still a need, but it is nice to have a future dunk champion, superb athleticism, and possible Bowen replacement in the fold.

MannyIsGod
11-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Barry was awesome the 2nd half of last year, how quickly some forget how almost traded Barry lit it up.

This is a great pickup. Anyone who thinks he's gonna make an impact this year is probably way of (I say probably on the off chance he blows up but com'on on). That being said, in a few years he may very well be the starting small forward for this team or at the least an active energy guy off the bench. Energy guys off the bench are sorely underrated in this league, but if you think back to some of our championships where we had a Malik Rose or a Manu Ginobili you can see how they change the game.

Great piece that just fell into our laps. :)

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 02:38 PM
Eh, Shawn Marion is 6'7". Hopefully White bulks up a bit. He's young and has some upside, so I'm pleased.

whottt
11-03-2006, 02:39 PM
Barry was awesome the 2nd half of last year, how quickly some forget how almost traded Barry lit it up.

He wasn't aswesome against the Mavs...at all.

He did hit that game winner against Sac though...

whottt
11-03-2006, 02:41 PM
Eh, Shawn Marion is 6'7". Hopefully White bulks up a bit. He's young and has some upside, so I'm pleased.

He's 24...how much you think he's going to bulk up?

I didn't mention Marion because Marion is a guy that someone with Bruce's body type can handle(speficially Bruce)...Marion is a stat filler but he's not a dominant player capable of taking over a game...he's roleplayer to the nth degree...not the type we struggle with.

I'm talking the big 2 guards and long SF types that are playmakers...LeBron, Artest, Bonzi...TMac.

We'll get a reminder of the type tonight...

MoSpur
11-03-2006, 02:44 PM
Brent Barry's performance last season in the playoffs or season is not the reason the Spurs lost in Game 7 in OT to the Dallas Mavericks. It seems like some people here are basing last year's exit from the playoffs is because of Barry. It takes a whole team to win.

MannyIsGod
He wasn't aswesome against the Mavs...at all.

He did hit that game winner against Sac though...A lot of people sucked against Dallas. Its obviosly the reason he didn't play last night. That doesn't mean he doesn't have value to this team, which he does. When you have a backup PG who has a history of not living up to expectations, a guy like Barry is a great thing to have on the bench.

I think he's certainly expendable, but Brent Barry on our bench isn't going to cost us any games but it sure as hell may win some.

maddnezz
Hey ChumpD, why did you change your team to atlanta man? I live here and dude, it's lame! I do get free tickets from my clients though!

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 02:45 PM
He's 24...how much you think he's going to bulk up? Dunno, but I think some gain in that area could be possible with an NBA conditioning program.
I didn't mention Marion because Marion is a guy that someone with Bruce's body type can handle(speficially Bruce)...

I'm talking the big 2 guards and long SF types...LeBron, Artest, Bonzi...TMac.I was never of the mind that one guy was ever going to replace Bruce. If Flight can cover the smaller perimeter threats, that's one down, one to go in my book.

MoSpur
11-03-2006, 02:46 PM

I didn't mention Marion because Marion is a guy that someone with Bruce's body type can handle(speficially Bruce)...Marion is a stat filler but he's not a dominant player capable of taking over a game...he's roleplayer to the nth degree...not the type we struggle with.

I'm talking the big 2 guards and long SF types that are playmakers...LeBron, Artest, Bonzi...TMac.

We'll get a reminder of the type tonight...

:lol calling T-Ma big.

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 02:47 PM
Hey ChumpD, why did you change your team to atlanta man? I live here and dude, it's lame! I do get free tickets from my clients though!The Spurs are undefeated with the Hawks as my listed team. For now it stays.

Brutalis
11-03-2006, 02:49 PM
i dont wanna go through the pages so ill ask... will white be ready to go tonight or next game?

whottt
11-03-2006, 02:49 PM
.I was never of the mind that one guy was ever going to replace Bruce. .

Hedo hater.

whottt
11-03-2006, 02:50 PM
:lol calling T-Ma big.

TMac is tall...to tall for Bowen, you know, big in the tall sense. And if you'd been a fan prior to our last title, you'd know that.

ChumpDumper
11-03-2006, 02:50 PM
Hedo hater.:lol

He's the other guy we would need.

maddnezz
11-03-2006, 02:52 PM
The Spurs are undefeated with the Hawks as my listed team. For now it stays.
Uhh,Huuuhuuu, Cool! :king :fro

AFBlue
Hey ChumpD, why did you change your team to atlanta man? I live here and dude, it's lame! I do get free tickets from my clients though!

You live in the area too huh? Did you catch the Spurs game last year? Now THAT was lame! The Hawks are sorry though. I hope for my sake they get better soon. I would actually like to go to a watchable NBA game, since I can't be back in San Antonio.

whottt
Hedo was the guy who could defend any of those...in fact he did and was effective at it. That was one thing no one can say he didn't do well..

Borosai
11-03-2006, 02:53 PM
Some people here are trying to shit in my cereal...and sure, I'll eat it, what the hell...but it still won't taste very good. Let me enjoy the moment...Jesus 1.5 is here!

maddnezz
11-03-2006, 02:56 PM
You live in the area too huh? Did you catch the Spurs game last year? Now THAT was lame! The Hawks are sorry though. I hope for my sake they get better soon. I would actually like to go to a watchable NBA game, since I can't be back in San Antonio.
Yea I stay up 400 in Roswell off of Holcomb bridge and Charter cable dosn't
offer nba tv, or league pass! NOW AINT'T THAT A BITCH!!!!!!
:fro

T Park
11-03-2006, 02:58 PM
I hope he has a higher IQ than Gerald Wallace.

whottt
11-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Duncan is probably happier about this than anyone...he's got a donut gofer now.

LEONARD
11-03-2006, 03:05 PM
If they make FT line dunks worth 4 pts...look out!! :fro

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 03:05 PM
From a completely unrelated to the Spurs' team success standpoint, I'd love to see a Spur in the dunk contest. I was disappointed when Sean withdrew in '91(?).

MoSpur
11-03-2006, 03:06 PM
TMac is tall...to tall for Bowen, you know, big in the tall sense. And if you'd been a fan prior to our last title, you'd know that.

Yeah, okay. Bowen has been effective guarding these guys and it has nothing to do with size. He doesn't stop all of them and maybe not most of them, but he does the little things that frustrate guys who are bigger than him. This guy White is not the biggest, but if he learns how to use his hands and constantly move with those so-called big guys, he will be fine.

T Park
11-03-2006, 03:07 PM
Are you talking about Wallace's offensive IQ? Because his defensive IQ is just about as high as anyone in the NBA.

Supposedly White has a low basketball IQ, but that is probably just talk.

No I mean IQ IQ.

Guy is dumber than a brick.

maddnezz
11-03-2006, 03:14 PM
You mean your stiil here? Yuck, :ihit That damn doctor said that cream was supposed to clear up rashes :fro

AFBlue
11-03-2006, 03:17 PM

If he gets fouled attempting a FT line dunk...look out! Because he's going right back there and getting two either way! Always glad to have another good free throw shooter after the display last night (c'mon Bruce!)

Bruno
11-03-2006, 03:25 PM
I don't know if White will be a good nba player but Spurs FO has been huge on this one. The fact that his contract is nit fully guaranteed is the cherry on the cake.

BTW, I'm happy for me because I won't be killed for having created false hopes.

Condemned 2 HelLA
11-03-2006, 03:28 PM

If he goes to the rack against your Geldings.....LOOK OUT!
Can't wait to see him bounce the first one of many off the top of Dirka-Dirka-Dirka's pinhead.

T Park
11-03-2006, 03:28 PM
Once again, sweet job Bruno :tu

Streakyshooter08
11-03-2006, 03:29 PM
:elephant :clap :downspin:

Hope he gets some playing time. Good to hear it is a 2 year deal. Is there going to be a Pop Show within the next weeks? I would really love to hear Pops opinion on him.

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Suck it carlisle.

Suck it long, and suck it hard. (seanconnery accent)

:lmao

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 03:31 PM
Hedo hater.

You guys do realize that if only Hedo had some balls, we'd probably be working on a five-peat?

phxspurfan
11-03-2006, 03:32 PM
let me get something out of the i told you so cabinet (just a seC)

whottt
11-03-2006, 03:41 PM
You guys do realize that if only Hedo had some balls, we'd probably be working on a five-peat?

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52602

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 03:44 PM
:lol okay, dude, I'll get to it in the next day or so.

phxspurfan
11-03-2006, 03:48 PM
*returns from the i told you so cabinet*

Let me say, after watching the rules change over the years, that big men don't matter half as much, in the modern game, as they used to. Plus, there aren't many skilled centers left in existence (that we really had a shot at). I think we're good if we get a TALENTED SWINGMAN. Spurs will deliver with that next season.

response:

http://www.judd-website.co.uk/images/bclub2.jpg

Are you in the math club? The Spurs have no money for the next two seasons to sign anyone. The millions that were available were traded for Super Star Matt Bonner, and 6 mill on 2 shitty centers.

Maybe we can trade them for that TALENTED SWINGMAN!

================================================== =======

-_-

:ihit

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 03:55 PM
Can somebody post (or re-post) the link to the White dunks?

whottt
11-03-2006, 04:00 PM
Can somebody post (or re-post) the link to the White dunks?

They are on the second page of this thread...TimVP posted them.

http://spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52930

When you get to youtube there are a ton more vids on the sidebar featuring White.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2006, 04:01 PM
u guys must be pumped to have this guy. I know he hasnt lived up to his potential but it could be a great steal.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/363/2003mock9lz5mxex7.png

:smokin :lol

T Park
11-03-2006, 04:03 PM
Gerald Wallace got a full ride to Alabama and is making millions of dollars each year.

Last time I checked, you operated a ferris wheel.

I operate a ferris wheel?

Really?

Link?

T Park
11-03-2006, 04:05 PM
Was the guy really that highly regarded back in 03?

whottt
11-03-2006, 04:07 PM
u guys must be pumped to have this guy. I know he hasnt lived up to his potential but it could be a great steal.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/363/2003mock9lz5mxex7.png

:smokin :lol

Well...he's no Francisco Elson for damn sure, but we are pretty jacked about it.

AFBlue
11-03-2006, 04:07 PM
Yea I stay up 400 in Roswell off of Holcomb bridge and Charter cable dosn't
offer nba tv, or league pass! NOW AINT'T THAT A BITCH!!!!!!
:fro

Damn, that's torture. I, myself am a bit further south...like 2 hours, but I try to make it up there as much as possible and will even catch a game or two if they peak my interest.

Fortunately for me though, I have Cox Cable and they absolutely offer League Pass. I honestly think I'd go crazy without it. I already watch too many non-sports shows as it is, no way I could handle that without the infusion of some manly sports....especially my Spurs!

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2006, 04:08 PM
Was the guy really that highly regarded back in 03?

i dont think so but it seems one site did
:lol

I just grabbed that from the Nuggets forum coz we were chatting about him the other day.

drpill
Awesome signing, as far as I can tell. Those dunks are completely insane.

I am extremely excited about the Spurs' youth movement. After some research, White sounds more like a 2 than a 3, but a 6'7" two guard with athleticism, a good attitude, length and stopping ability certainly deserves a place on our roster... Players like that don't find their way into the Spurs' franchise every day. He's a bit of a project, but if he can develop into a solid role player at the 2 and/or 3 spots by next year I will be absolutely thrilled.

KEDA
thats good news!!!

actually, thats fucking great news!!!

AFBlue
11-03-2006, 04:09 PM
I don't know if White will be a good nba player but Spurs FO has been huge on this one. The fact that his contract is nit fully guaranteed is the cherry on the cake.

BTW, I'm happy for me because I won't be killed for having created false hopes.

I'm also happy for you...because I have a very substantial gun collection....

Just Kidding :lol

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2006, 04:11 PM
Well...he's no Francisco Elson for damn sure, but we are pretty jacked about it.

Thats the problem. Now you have frankie it means that noone else will come close to pleasing Spurs fans :lol :downspin:

T Park
11-03-2006, 04:14 PM

Me and Nugsfan The lone Frankie supporters :smokin

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2006, 04:19 PM

Me and Nugsfan The lone Frankie supporters :smokin

:lol yeh. We OWN the braggin' rights :smokin

T Park
11-03-2006, 04:22 PM
You fucking know it :smokin

pad300
11-03-2006, 04:31 PM

We already have one. Don't tell me you've forgotten about Brent.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=DozNjFqt4KY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXg-k_1NGMY&NR

RESPECT THE OLD MAN!

He still got some too!

wildbill2u
11-03-2006, 04:31 PM
When you can touch the top of the backboard, you can probably put some points up on the board also.

:clap
Yeah, all you got to do is get waaaaaay up there and then have a good eye so you can drop them straight down.:spin :downspin:

phxspurfan
11-03-2006, 04:33 PM
his final year in college he started all 33 games he appeared in and had shot 48% from the field, 84% from the line and 38% from 3. pretty solid. also averaged 1.2spg and .8 blocks pg...

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 04:34 PM
The Spurs will fix his FT%.

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 04:38 PM
Somewhere, GhostWriter is crying.

phxspurfan
11-03-2006, 04:39 PM

RESPECT THE OLD MAN!

He still got some too!

what dunk did barry win it with? was it something i could do on a fisher price hoop?

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 04:39 PM
The Spurs will fix his FT%.

Probably breaking his wrists as we speak.

wildbill2u
11-03-2006, 04:44 PM
If the league is going small ball and the return of the running game, I think this could be a really interesting pickup.

Imagine the Spurs running with Tim, Manu, Parker, Elson and White. WHOOOO!

whottt
11-03-2006, 04:44 PM
what dunk did barry win it with? was it something i could do on a fisher price hoop?

The same one Jordan and Dr J won it with.

T Park
11-03-2006, 04:47 PM
except Jordan and DJ went behind the line.

White boy did it in front.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-03-2006, 04:48 PM
Dont 4get Frankie. Its not NBA but ............

http://www.hoopshype.com/players/francisco_elson.htm

Won the Spanish League Slam Dunk Contest in 2000

Bruno
11-03-2006, 04:49 PM
BTW, James White seems to be a better choice than Devin brown for the 15th roster spot.

boutons_
11-03-2006, 05:05 PM
I don't see how this White guy means Brent is gone. Brent is useful now, while White probably won't see anything but garbage minutes for 2 years, when Brent will be gone.

If the consensus is happy, I'm happy (actually Thurs night is REALLY why I'm STILL happy). :)

If the sneakily briliant FO signed him to a year+ contract, rather than a 10-day contract, then I'm happy they think he's worth that long of a relationship.

But excitement about White's atheticism and dunking alone are can be applied to many in the NBA. How many of them are actually good basketball players that really help their teams?

So, it all sounds great, but probably he won't help much until quite bit into the future.

Solid D
11-03-2006, 05:43 PM
White is certainly physically gifted but let's not get all "Dion Glover" over this guy just yet.

The Spurs need to put him through a brain-wipe first at the very private CIA-Pop De-programming and Rehabilitation Center.

http://photo.worldnews.com/PhotoArchive//2006/10/25/26eb8cfec910a14b972d221c5e925b81-medium.jpg

The Truth #6
11-03-2006, 05:52 PM
He's known for his defense as much as his dunking. If he can buy into being Bruce's intern, then things will work out well.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2006, 06:12 PM
The Spurs need to give him minutes soon. Sadly Bruce will start deteriorating pretty soon

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2006, 06:12 PM
and by soon i mean 1-3 years

makedamnsure
11-03-2006, 06:22 PM
what jersey number will he get?

SequSpur
11-03-2006, 06:39 PM
Yawn. :sleepy

themvp
11-03-2006, 08:04 PM
Yep Yep Horray! :)

Bring on Dunk Contest! :fro

Old School Fool
11-03-2006, 08:07 PM
Hell yea!

Admidave50
11-03-2006, 08:47 PM
He's attending the game against Cavs tonight!

Zunni
11-03-2006, 08:52 PM
He's attending the game against Cavs tonight!
I think he'll be "attending" many games this year...in streetclothes. Good signing though, for the future.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-03-2006, 08:54 PM
I hope he gets a shot to earn some playing time this year, his athletisism, could make him a spark off the bench the spurs sorely need right now.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-03-2006, 09:12 PM
eh

he is almost as skinny as me

Kori Ellis
11-04-2006, 12:40 AM
I tried to get Pop to comment on him in postgame but he didn't go for it. He just said, "I don't know, we'll see."

polandprzem
11-04-2006, 12:45 AM
I think Pop doesn't know what james is capable of, so he must test the young fella ... and then decide if he will be inactive all season or a half a season

joeyjfive
11-04-2006, 01:03 AM
This is really good news, almost makes up for us losing tonite. I hope he wins the Dunk contest, finally the spurs get someone freakishly athletic!!!

rayray2k8
11-04-2006, 01:10 AM
The guy is has serious potential, but I doubt he'll have much of an impact this season.

whottt
11-04-2006, 01:16 AM
I tried to get Pop to comment on him in postgame but he didn't go for it. He just said, "I don't know, we'll see."

Did you let Pop know that we here at SpursTalk found that answer unacceptable?

whottt
11-04-2006, 01:20 AM
I think there is a tendency by the Silver and Black faithful to pencil him in as the big long SF we've needed for so long and at 6'7 200lbs I don't agree. I don't care how long he is or how high he jumps...that's smaller than Manu.

I don't see him filling that role against LeBron, Artest, TMac and the like, you know, the 250lbers or 7 footers that play the position and give us so much trouble even when Bruce is on them. That's still a need, but it is nice to have a future dunk champion, superb athleticism, and possible Bowen replacement in the fold.

and...

And most importantly...

We'll get a reminder of the type tonight

Nice posts.

For all the hoopla over both White and Elson....we still have our major achilles heel....against LeBron, Artest, Bonzi...and TMac. We still need a long SF.

T Park
11-04-2006, 01:22 AM
Nothing like reposting and quoting yourself.

Kori Ellis
11-04-2006, 01:23 AM
and...

And most importantly...

Nice posts.

For all the hoopla over both White and Elson....we still have our major achilles heel....against LeBron, Artest, Bonzi...and TMac. We still need a long SF.

Or a strong SF.

whottt
11-04-2006, 01:23 AM
Nothing like reposting and quoting yourself.

There's also nothing like saying you won't post for a year...then posting.

Otherwise known as a self asskicking.

T Park
11-04-2006, 01:24 AM

Keep bringing it back to me.

God thats weak.

mattyc
11-04-2006, 03:35 AM
Great news. Good to have a rookie on board.

Bruno
11-04-2006, 09:24 AM
I agree that Spurs still need a strong/long SF.
I don't think too that this need is that big. When you consider teams in the west that are talented enough to beat Spurs in playoffs, only one has a long SF : Rockets with TMac and they aren't the most dangerous one.

Obstructed_View
11-04-2006, 09:56 AM

RESPECT THE OLD MAN!

He still got some too!
The Spurs had an ex-dunk contest champion ten years ago. I think he meant having a Spur actually winning the contest as a spur.

Texas_Ranger
11-04-2006, 10:26 AM
We` ve got a new slam dunk champion.

whottt
11-04-2006, 10:28 AM
I agree that Spurs still need a strong/long SF.
I don't think too that this need is that big. When you consider teams in the west that are talented enough to beat Spurs in playoffs, only one has a long SF : Rockets with TMac and they aren't the most dangerous one.

You mean other than the Lakers(Odom), Kings(Artest), Sonics(Lewis), Nuggets(Carmelo) and uh...the Cavaliers.

And the Rockets have two of them...they got Bonzi too...remember him? He was the guy who did the Wilt Chamberlain impression against our team in the playoffs last year...

Ought to be really fun now that he's paired up with TMac.

The type of player we struggle with(we'll just call them a big SF) is actually pretty common in the NBA...that's the talent base of most teams in the NBA...we are one of the few that doesn't have one of them.

We are probably the only team in the NBA that's starts a 200lber at the SF position, not to mention the 6'7 thing...he's a great player, but he's best going up against legit 2 guards and he's not 6'10, nor does he weigh 250lbs. You can't coach 6'10, 250lbs.

If missing that type of player isn't our major weakness...then what is?

themvp
11-04-2006, 10:29 AM
We` ve got a new slam dunk champion.

Don't be fast with that.

Bruno
11-04-2006, 10:39 AM
You mean other than the Lakers(Odom), Kings(Artest), Sonics(Lewis), Nuggets(Carmelo) and uh...the Cavaliers.

Kings, Sonics, Nuggets aren't good enough to beat spurs in a 7 game serie.
Odom will mainly play PF with Lakers.
Cavs are in the east : do you honestly think that they will reach the final ?

And the Rockets have two of them...they got Bonzi too...remember him? He was the guy who did the Wilt Chamberlain impression against our team in the playoffs last year...

Ought to be really fun now that he's paired up with TMac.

It will be fun too to see Batier defending on Duncan.
Spurs are a bad matchup for Rockets.

wildbill2u
11-04-2006, 11:32 AM
Before we award this guy the Dunk Championship and start measuring him for an All-Star uniform, lets remember what that ol perfesser of round ball, Charles Barkley said about athleticism: "A deer can run fast and jump high too, but I wouldn't suit one up for my basketball team."

wildbill2u
11-04-2006, 12:03 PM
From the Indianapolis Star:

The Indiana Pacers were so high on James White when he came out of college they said they might have selected him with the No. 17 overall pick if Shawne Williams had not been available in the 2006 draft.

It turns out they didn't like White as much as they thought.
In what they called an "agonizing decision," the Pacers released White along with center John Edwards on Monday, reducing their roster to the 15-player limit.

The Pacers acquired White, a second-round pick, from Portland in a draft-night trade in June. The Pacers signed White, who was a five-year college player at Cincinnati, to a two-year guaranteed deal.
"(Team president) Larry (Bird) and I sat and talked with James about it," Pacers coach Rick Carlisle said. "He was very professional about it. He's a kid that's very determined."

By the way, reading the comments by fans on this article and the cut, most of the 33 comments said they would rather have seen "Wacko Jacko" cut than White.

manu
11-04-2006, 03:02 PM
so when will he start playing with the spurs?

joeyjfive
11-04-2006, 03:14 PM
Wow I just found out he can also shoot freethrows.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2006, 03:23 PM
so when will he start playing with the spurs?Maybe 2007.

polandprzem
11-04-2006, 03:31 PM
Maybe 2007.

I think he is doing that right now. :p:

I wonder if he is patient, cause in SA he won't be able to play 20min/game and that can piss many players off. And will the spurs be interested in signing him to a guaratee contract next season?
Big unknown - James White. The best nba leaper in history of the nba.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2006, 03:33 PM
He must be patient, because he had to know all that while signing here as a free agent. I do want him to get playing time as soon as next month, though.

In Austin.

polandprzem
11-04-2006, 03:40 PM
In Austin? Why?

polandprzem
11-04-2006, 03:41 PM
Just to develop what he was developing?

ChumpDumper
11-04-2006, 03:47 PM
At this point, he's not better than Rawle Marshall.

Marshall would have had a difficult time getting of the Spurs' IR most of this season.

So yeah, he needs to develop, and I think some PT in Austin would keep him from getting stale or frustrated with the zero PT he will get as a Spur.

polandprzem
11-04-2006, 03:55 PM
At this point, he's not better than Rawle Marshall.

Marshall would have had a difficult time getting of the Spurs' IR most of this season.

So yeah, he needs to develop, and I think some PT in Austin would keep him from getting stale or frustrated with the zero PT he will get as a Spur.

So in your opinion this will be another wasted NBA season for james yes?
I think it is a good idea sending him to the nbdl but I would like to know how is he doing on spurs practicess. Well now during the season it won't be easy to teach him how to play in spurs system, but I would like to know how he fits in the envoirment of Timmy, Bruce, Manu or Mike.
The good thing is that Gregg can always bring him back to the active roster.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2006, 03:59 PM
So in your opinion this will be another wasted NBA season for james yes?Another? He's a rookie.
I think it is a good idea sending him to the nbdl but I would like to know how is he doing on spurs practicess.My plan would be to have him practice with the team for the next six weeks then send him to Austin so they can scout him during their four-game homestand around Christmas. Then they could decide whether coming back or staying with the Toros would be best.

Buddy Holly
11-04-2006, 04:47 PM
He's not going to DLeague, so get over it.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2006, 04:50 PM
He might. We've never had a player like this with the ability to send him down at the same time. I don't know what there is to "get over" -- it's just a thought. I'll take some pictures of the condos being built downtown next time to pacify you.

Buddy Holly
11-04-2006, 04:55 PM
Dleague is for unknowns/undrafted players who are trying to get picked up by a team. He'll learn ten times more in practice than the Dleague.

You overrate the DLeague like no other. It's the Dleague.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2006, 05:00 PM
Dleague is for unknowns/undrafted players who are trying to get picked up by a team.It's also for young IR players to get playing time their first two seasons in the league. NBA teams sent down about 30 players last season. You know more than all the GMs who made that decision?
He'll learn ten times more in practice than the Dleague.Learn to read, I don't have White in Austin all season.
You overrate the DLeague like no other. It's the Dleague.It's a tool available for NBA teams to use. And it is used by NBA teams. How is that overrating?

Zunni
11-04-2006, 05:01 PM
DLeague allows him to actually PLAY.

Buddy Holly
11-04-2006, 05:04 PM
He doesn't need to PLAY in the DLeague. He needs to learn from the Spurs. What exactly is he going to learn in the DLeage??

ChumpDumper
11-04-2006, 05:07 PM
He can apply what he has learned in practice to actual game situations he would not experience as a Spur sitting behind the bench in street clothes. Have you ever played a sport at all?

Bruno
11-04-2006, 05:08 PM
White has a non-guaranteed contract and non-guaranteed contracts becomes guaranteed for the rest of the season in January.
Surs have two months to decide if he can become a nba player. I am curiopus to see how they will evaluate him : practices, DLeague or nba games (Spurs can put Vaughn on the IL for few games).

objective
11-04-2006, 05:27 PM
Hard to see him getting on the court for a few weeks.

He won't be even able to more than shootarounds and walkthroughs for the next week. They flew so they could play Toronto tomorrow afternoon, then go to New York for Monday night's game, then fly back to play Phoenix on Wednesday. Then thursday and friday there might be a practice with a day off.

Very little time for him to even start learning the system.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2006, 05:31 PM
Yeah, I don't see why this is so hard for BH to understand. Last year, the Rockets sent Gerald Fitch to Austin so Rudy T could scout him in a game situation and determine whehter they should keep him. Denver sent down Julius Hodge because he wanted playing time after practicing for months with the Nuggets and the George Karl agreed it could help his game. The Nuggets recalled him whenever they needed him and got to scout Hodge playing at the point and small forward for 11 games at over 30 minutes per game.

Now if Buddy Holly can convince me he has more basketball knowledge than Rudy T and Karl, I will never speak again of this confounded D-League.

Buddy Holly
11-04-2006, 05:38 PM
I never said sending players to the DLeague is a bad thing or stupid or meaningless, if so, quote me on it.

I said the Spurs aren't going to send him there, so deal with it. I said you over value the dleague, I said he'll learn more practicing than playing in the dleague.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2006, 05:40 PM
I said the Spurs aren't going to send him there, so deal with it.I have my doubts as to whether the Spurs will send him down, but they haven't been in this situation with a player with the D-League as an option. So it remains a possiblity, and a good one all things considered.
I said you over value the dleagueWhat does that even mean?
I said he'll learn more practicing than playing in the dleagueAnd I said you can't read because he can do both.

phxspurfan
11-04-2006, 05:51 PM
The same one Jordan and Dr J won it with.

so unoriginal. pippen > jordan in a dunk contest. I could do 360 jams from half court with him in nba jam.... 0.o

phxspurfan
11-04-2006, 05:58 PM
3 years is not soon. Bruce is getting better every year and never gets injured. I see no signs of deterioration.

yeah...uh i think he is at least a step slower than two years ago, after watching my dvd of lebron blowing by him and crunking on duncan twice. he's never relied solely on his athleticism to defend, though. He's a smart player who will be in the right position and use his feet/hands to frustrate. he may turn into more of an interior defender in the next two years if the whole NBA goes small ball

raspsa
11-05-2006, 02:15 AM
Reading White's scouting report, what's not to like? The Spurs will give him a good environment to develop his remarkable talents, the rest will be up to him. Great jumping, outstanding footspeed and lateral quickness, 3-point-range, dependable FT shooter, good ball-handling skills etc. etc. this could be the start of Spurs Championship basketball - The next generation

Bruno
11-05-2006, 09:22 AM
http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?qstr=eXJpcnk3ZjczN2Y3dnFlZUVFeXkxMjgmZmdi ZWw3Zjd2cWVlRUV5eTcwMTUwODEmeXJpcnk3ZjcxN2Y3dnFlZU VFeXk2

If the Nets had a spot available they probably would have considered ex-Cincinnati swingman James White

Not this time , M. Thorn. :nope

CaptainLate
11-10-2006, 03:45 PM

I heard his wing span is 7 feet. With that and a vertical leaping ability of ???, he should easily be able to defend a 6'10" or higher SF. :hungry:

Mr. Body
11-10-2006, 04:21 PM
He's extremely skinny and gets knocked around, so will be useless against LeBron and the bigger SFs that plague us. He does possess good lateral speed and quickness, however, so should be able to become a solid defender in this league.

I expect this week and a half or so are very important to him. Days off before the Knicks game, few games after, no road trip for some days. He can actually stay in the practice facility and try to make up for a lost training camp.

Solid D
11-10-2006, 04:26 PM
Spurs.com confirmed the playing number for James White will be #33.

Spurs get a bit younger, but even though he's a rookie, he's 24 years old. Jackie Butler remains the youngest Spur.

There are only a couple of times the rest of the month when the Spurs will have 2 consecutive days off, which = some actual practice time instead of shoot-arounds and film sessions. Yesterday and today are one set and then after Sat. night's game with the Knicks, two more prior to the Rockets' tilt. That's it for November.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-10-2006, 04:27 PM
Tomorrow is the perfect time to let Butler and White play.

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-10-2006, 04:28 PM
Especially Butler. Rub it in Isiah's dumbass face.

Mr. Body
11-10-2006, 04:29 PM
Spurs.com confirmed the playing number for James White will be #33.

What was Stacey Augmon's old number? Hopefully he can become another Plasticman.

Spurs get a bit younger, but even though he's a rookie, he's 24 years old. Jackie Butler remains the youngest Spur.

Parker and Udrih are only months older than White, despite working on their 6th and 3rd years in the league. It's gotten where staying in school is almost a detriment.

Notorious H.O.P.
11-10-2006, 05:11 PM
Especially for White. Wasn't he projected to be a lottery pick at one point (after high school or his first year in college)?

Obstructed_View
11-10-2006, 05:21 PM
What was Stacey Augmon's old number? Hopefully he can become another Plasticman.
At least he and LJ had 2, which was Tark's UNLV number.

Mr. Body
11-10-2006, 05:22 PM
On potential alone, out of high school he might have gone lottery. In any case, higher than he was actually drafted.

Tough to say. He might've been out of the league by now if he went straight out of high school. It's tough going to Cincy - you can forget any basketball instruction, under Bob Huggins. And then when he got the boot, White's last year was basically lost to basketball instruction.

That's the interesting thing - this may be the first time White has had a strong disciplinarian as a coach.

Solid D
11-10-2006, 05:56 PM
Yes, Augmon wore #2. He actually played 36 games for Orlando last year.

Mr. Body
11-10-2006, 06:02 PM
Yes, Augmon wore #2. He actually played 36 games for Orlando last year.

I know. I looked it up. Utterly crazy. I have no recollection of Orlando playing games last year.

Where did #33 come from, for White? A thanks to Bird for cutting him and delivering him to the Spurs?

Ocotillo
11-10-2006, 06:07 PM
#33 Wasn't that Cadillac Anderson's number?

Obstructed_View
11-10-2006, 06:21 PM
Where did #33 come from, for White? A thanks to Bird for cutting him and delivering him to the Spurs?
I bet you a dollar he'll say Scottie Pippen when asked.

Solid D
11-10-2006, 07:08 PM
Others to wear 33 for the Spurs (and Chaparrals)

Antonio Daniels
Jud Buechler
Greg "Cadillac" Anderson (2 different stints with the Spurs)
Uwe Blab
David Greenwood
Steve Johnson
Bill Willoughby
Michael Wiley

ABA
Rich Jones (ABA Spurs and pre-move to SA with the Dallas Chaparrals)
Richard Peek (ABA Chaparrals)

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-10-2006, 07:42 PM
You think we'll eventually retire his number?

Solid D
11-10-2006, 08:57 PM
So far, I'd say Rich Jones was the best #33 the Spurs have had. AD is 2nd best.

wildbill2u
11-11-2006, 12:30 AM
Ah, Rich Jones of sainted memory. He was a Power Forward when that designation meant "Enforcer" He looked the part, like he ate babies for breakfast.

Zunni
11-11-2006, 10:16 AM
You think we'll eventually retire his number?
You people REALLY need to ratchet down your expectations. I think the BEST case scenario is that you have an NBA caliber wing who can shoot, defend some, and run the floor, sort of like a large scale Antonio Daniels. Maybe something like Richard Dumas, minus the drugs.