PDA

View Full Version : How To Dunk by James White

GrandeDavid
11-03-2006, 06:08 AM
http://archive.cinweekly.com/content/2004/02/18/0218howto_dunk.asp

(granted, this article is pushing three years old!)

Wednesday, February 18, 2004
Dunk
Something that isn't a donut
TABARI MCCOY | CIN WEEKLY

University of Cincinnati star sophomore James White knows a thing or two about the game of basketball, especially when it comes to making a dunk.

Earning the nickname "Flight 75" because of his self-estimated 37-inch vertical leap and skill in a game against "And 1 Mixtape Tour" all-star Robert "50" Martin, the 6-foot 7-inch forward has provided several thunderous highlights in his first season with the Bearcats.

http://archive.cinweekly.com/content/2004/02/18/images/0218jameswhitedunk.jpg

Temporarily grounded for a moment before a practice at the Fifth Third Bank Arena at Shoemaker Center, White shares his secrets on life above the rim.

• As is the case with most things in life, getting balanced is a key to dunking success, according to White. Once you have your balance, White says it's time to focus on building up speed before takeoff.

• White recommends the spot where you would begin a jump to make a lay-up as a starting point when you dunk. He says you should look at the front of the rim as the dunking point and "if you can jump really high, focus (next) on the creativity."

White says your hand should be at least four inches above the rim when attempting a dunk (if the rim is about an inch below your wrist if you were to raise your arm straight up in the air, you should be in business).

General hand-eye coordination, however, shouldn't be underestimated when it's time to actually dunk the ball.

"If you don't have big hands, you probably want to go up with two hands until you get right to the rim to dunk it in with one (hand) as it's the easiest way," he says. "Some other people like to hold (the ball) with one (hand) and cup it in their palm and their arm."

• To prevent injury, White says steer clear of any feet near your targeted takeoff zone. Hang on the rim only if someone is below you, instead of landing on them like an anvil on Wile E. Coyote.

IMPROVE YOUR UPS

Of course, none of these tips will matter if you can't reach the rim without the use of a ladder or forklift in the first place.

To improve your vertical leap, White recommends calf raises and squats to build up your leg muscles. Don't forget to practice jumping as well, White says, as he credits the repetition with training his legs to get used to all of the jumping.

Noting his favorite dunk is to take off from the free throw line, White says building up speed is the one thing to keep in mind if you can't remember anything else.

"Get a good running start," he said. "Momentum is the key to really getting a good dunk."

GrandeDavid
11-03-2006, 06:10 AM
Yes, I graduated from the University of Cincinnati, so I'm giving my guy some run...however, this young man is ALL business and hard work. He stays out of trouble, stays late at practice and has tremendous athleticism. Hopefully he can fill a nice role for the Spurs off the bench as a young perimeter athlete. My boy can definitely get up and he will do dirty work on the D. I like the guy and thinks its a wise decision for the Spurs to give him a go.

GrandeDavid
11-03-2006, 06:16 AM
Okay, TimVP, you can leave the thread here. I thought it was a distinct topic on "how to dunk", so I'm not sure I agree with you, though.

timvp
11-03-2006, 06:24 AM
Okay, TimVP, you can leave the thread here. I thought it was a distinct topic on "how to dunk", so I'm not sure I agree with you, though.

If he really does sign with the Spurs, I'll un-merge your thread. For now, to keep Spurs fans from jumping off a building if he doesn't actually sign, we'll keep it here.

timvp
11-03-2006, 02:26 PM
Bumpage.

:smokin

Chris Childs
11-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I should make thread called ''How To Punch by Chris Childs''

Obstructed_View
11-03-2006, 03:08 PM
I should make thread called ''How I punched Kobe and miraculously managed not to break my wrist"
Fixed.

Joepa
11-03-2006, 03:29 PM
Kobe punches like panzy.

alamo50
11-04-2006, 01:49 PM
I should make thread called ''How To Punch by Chris Childs''

Always a pleasure to see you post Chris.

boutons_
11-04-2006, 01:56 PM
Remind me again, how many points for a dunk?

SenorSpur
11-04-2006, 07:24 PM
Yes, I graduated from the University of Cincinnati, so I'm giving my guy some run...however, this young man is ALL business and hard work. He stays out of trouble, stays late at practice and has tremendous athleticism. Hopefully he can fill a nice role for the Spurs off the bench as a young perimeter athlete. My boy can definitely get up and he will do dirty work on the D. I like the guy and thinks its a wise decision for the Spurs to give him a go.

Good stuff. If dude has that kind of work ethic, he should fit in nicely with the club. I'm looking forward to getting a look at him at some point down the road.

spurffic
11-04-2006, 07:58 PM
ABOUT DAMN TIME PIT FACE (POP). I was starting to get sick of your militant veteran leadership ways of thinking. Always signing guys with no tatoos and GPA's of 4.0. Never looking at the actual basketball skills they possess. Matt Bonner?? Can he even play basketball?? We already know about Mr. Stiff Fabricio Oberto. I say play James White manana, tommorrow, yesterday, NOW. Please give up on your prospects (Beno, Bonner, Barry, and Oberto). Play Jacky Butler and White. Has anyone ever seen Oberto blink, jump, breathe, have a pulse???? I want some ballers up in here already. Look how smoothe Cleveland looked last night. Oh but we have guys with leadership skills and have been in the league for 50 years and that's what wins ball games right? Don't think so Pop?? I wish you were to come into this forum and read this. Stop signing pretty boys that give you a good image. Bring back Stephen Jackson, play Butler, Elson, White and leave your 4 choir boys to play Lacrosse or chess or sumthin. cuz they surely can't play basketball. JAMES WHITE IS DA' BOMB!!

NorCal510
11-04-2006, 08:02 PM
ABOUT DAMN TIME PIT FACE (POP). I was starting to get sick of your militant veteran leadership ways of thinking. Always signing guys with no tatoos and GPA's of 4.0. Never looking at the actual basketball skills they possess. Matt Bonner?? Can he even play basketball?? We already know about Mr. Stiff Fabricio Oberto. I say play James White manana, tommorrow, yesterday, NOW. Please give up on your prospects (Beno, Bonner, Barry, and Oberto). Play Jacky Butler and White. Has anyone ever seen Oberto blink, jump, breathe, have a pulse???? I want some ballers up in here already. Look how smoothe Cleveland looked last night. Oh but we have guys with leadership skills and have been in the league for 50 years and that's what wins ball games right? Don't think so Pop?? I wish you were to come into this forum and read this. Stop signing pretty boys that give you a good image. Bring back Stephen Jackson, play Butler, Elson, White and leave your 4 choir boys to play Lacrosse or chess or sumthin. cuz they surely can't play basketball. JAMES WHITE IS DA' BOMB!!
lol at pit face pop and him signing players with no tatoos and 4.0's

it is true though, this is like the 1st real black guy i've seen the spurs sign in a while

MaNuMaNiAc
11-04-2006, 08:27 PM
yes, because Pop doesn't know how to win, right? nevermind that the Spurs are coming from their best regular season record ever. Nevermind that the Spurs under Pop have won 3 NBA championships. No, ofcourse, a dumbass with a large mouth posting in a forum has the key to winning championships... more black guys with tattoos http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smirolleyes.gif

Cant_Be_Faded
11-04-2006, 08:28 PM
calf raises sux0r

dirk4mvp
11-04-2006, 08:44 PM
Those arent very good tips. Its more common sense if you ask me.

Agreed.

When I first started dunking, all of those "tips/common sense" came to mind w/o the help of boy wonder.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-04-2006, 10:30 PM
lol at pit face pop and him signing players with no tatoos and 4.0's

it is true though, this is like the 1st real black guy i've seen the spurs sign in a while
:lol watch it there. That comment smacks of political incorrectness...

but yeah, "real black" guys haven't played for the spurs in a while.

It's a minor offense, but I think it's unfair to keep harping that "black enough" stereotype.

Getting 4.0's and being squeaky clean, guess you must not be black. What a bullshit mentality that is.

ChumpDumper
11-04-2006, 10:31 PM
It would mean more if it wasn't coming from a white kid, I guess.

SpursWillOwn
11-05-2006, 01:46 AM
to spurffic, Duncan do have tattoos he had one on his back and one on his left chest