PDA

View Full Version : Are the Mavs partly responsible for us getting White?

SenorSpur
11-03-2006, 04:21 PM
I was pondering the series of events that took place to enable the Spurs to somehow land rookie SG James White. It appeared to me that perhaps the Mavs may have been indirectly responsible for White falling into the Spurs hands. How you say? Consider the following:

The Mavs decided not to resign Keith Van Horn and let him walk in FA. They set their sights on a suitable backup for Dirk and targeted Austin Croshere. In order to get him, the Mavs traded away Marquis Daniels, Darrell Armstrong and the young, promising, swingman named Rawle Marshall to the Pacers in exchange for Croshere.

Keep in mind that by the time this trade went down, White had already been drafted by the Pacers and by now was already playing for the Indy summer league team.

Supposedly from what I've read, the fight for the Pacers final roster spot came down to a choice between White and Marshall. Since Marshall already had a year or two of both NBA and NBDL experience, he showed better production during the preseason. Already stocked with a fine group of SGs and SFs, I hear Coach Carlisle literally broke down and cried because he didn't want to cut White, but he had no choice.

Therefore if the chronology of events is accurate, Cuban should be lauded for indirectly helping out his intra-state rival. By now he should be :bang himself.

Meanwhile, it's :toast time in Spurland! Hallelujah!! :elephant

Everyone feel free to correct my if I chronicle of events are skewed.

jman3000
11-03-2006, 04:22 PM
i keep hearing that he cried... link?

ShoogarBear
11-03-2006, 04:24 PM
Don't know if it's true, but if so Pop should sent Cuban a Christmas card with a picture of Finley and White.

jman3000
11-03-2006, 04:25 PM
sb's new avatar <<<< sb's old avatar

T Park
11-03-2006, 04:26 PM
:lmao @ Coyote

dirk4mvp
11-03-2006, 04:28 PM
Dude did a between the legs from the freethrow line.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-03-2006, 04:30 PM
Circle of life. Didn't the Spurs pass on Howard in the draft?

sleepybum
11-03-2006, 04:52 PM
Everyone feel free to correct my if I chronicle of events are skewed.
I think you left Josh Powell out of the picture who was traded by the Mavs along with Marshall, Armstrong and Daniels for Johnson and increasing the likelihood of White's release.

ESPN Story (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2527560)

timvp
11-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Yeah got it close, SenorSpur. There was that trade you mentioned but in that one, the Mavs received Anthony Johnson. The Mavs traded Marquis Daniels for Austin Croshere.

SenorSpur
11-03-2006, 05:28 PM
Yeah got it close, SenorSpur. There was that trade you mentioned but in that one, the Mavs received Anthony Johnson. The Mavs traded Marquis Daniels for Austin Croshere.

Thanks for the correction Timvp!

Mr. Body
11-03-2006, 05:31 PM
You got it right, Senor. White falls into our hands after actions partially set in motion by Dallas.