PDA

View Full Version : Liriano to undergo Tommy John surgery

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Twins' Liriano likely to miss '07 after elbow surgery
Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS -- Minnesota Twins standout left-hander Francisco Liriano has been scheduled for surgery on his ailing elbow that will most certainly keep him from pitching in 2007.

Liriano will undergo Tommy John surgery Monday in California with Dr. Lewis Yocum performing and Twins physician Dr. John Steubs assisting, the team said Friday.

The Tommy John procedure, which is a replacement of the ulnar collateral ligament, is named after the former Yankees pitcher. Recovery typically takes at least a year.

Liriano had an outstanding rookie season, going 12-3 with a 2.16 ERA, but pitched only six innings over the final two months because of pain in his left elbow. With veteran Brad Radke expected to retire, it's a big blow to Minnesota's rotation for next year.

T Park
11-04-2006, 12:30 PM
Absolute shame.

He was on pace to break Gibson's ERA record there for a while.

DarkReign
11-04-2006, 12:35 PM
I am completely bummed by this news. I sincerely wish this young man recovers completely and comes back just as good, if not better.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-04-2006, 12:49 PM
Well, on the bright side, the Twins won't have to worry about competing for the AL Central this year.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
11-04-2006, 01:28 PM
Somehow, someway, the Twins find a way to be in contention every September.

As for Liriano, it doesn't come as a surprise. His delivery is/was as violent as they come, especially with his slider. Very Wood-esque.

tlongII
11-06-2006, 01:41 PM
Zumaya has a very violent delivery as well. I hope he holds up.

BeerIsGood!
11-06-2006, 01:44 PM
Poor Tommy John. Now everytime his name is spoken people cringe.