PDA

View Full Version : Ludden - James, Cavs soar by Spurs

Bruno
11-04-2006, 07:02 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110406.01C.BKNspurs.cavs.gamer.35559a1.html

Web Posted: 11/04/2006 01:18 AM CST
Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

Cleveland coach Mike Brown and general manager Danny Ferry spent a combined eight years working for the Spurs, long enough, it seems, to have discovered the tried-and-true formula for beating them.

Schedule them on a back-to-back.

Send Tim Duncan to the foul line.

Bring LeBron James.

That combination worked well enough Friday night as the Cavaliers clawed out an 88-81 victory at the AT&T Center.

James scored 35 points, Duncan marred an otherwise fine performance by missing 10 free throws and the rest of the Spurs couldn't summon the same energy they used to win one night earlier in Dallas.

While Cleveland ended its 18-season losing streak in San Antonio, the Spurs couldn't reverse their own ugly trend. Ten of their 19 losses last season came on the second night of a back-to-back.

"We know it was our biggest problem last year," Manu Ginobili said. "We really wanted to start with the right foot and make things better, but we just couldn't."

James had a lot to do with that. He scored 15 points in the first quarter, two on a powerful dunk over Duncan.

James opened the game by burying a difficult 19-footer over Bruce Bowen. With the Spurs forced to honor his outside shot, James had an easier time getting to the rim. On four of his baskets, he also drew a foul.

The Spurs had a little more success in the second half when they double-teamed James to get the ball out of his hands. But he also contributed 10 rebounds and four assists.

"He had a great game on me tonight," Bowen said. "You have to give credit where credit is due and he deserves that."

After losing to Detroit in the Eastern Conference semifinals, James and the Cavaliers have raised their sights this season. Winning on the Spurs' court only boosted their confidence. The last time Cleveland left San Antonio with a victory James was only 4 years old.

"I think for us to become one of the powerhouses, which we've been preaching," James said, "we've got to go out there and walk the walk."

The Spurs struggled to stay in step with the Cavaliers. After playing Thursday in Dallas, they appeared to have brought little more than tired legs to their home opener. Cleveland outrebounded them 28-18 in the first half to open a seven-point lead.

Bowen, Michael Finley and Robert Horry combined to miss 14 of 16 shots. Still bothered by his sore right ankle, Tony Parker scored 21 points, but lacked his usual burst.

"We rested him in the third quarter sooner than we normally do," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said. "I thought he bounced back, dug down and gave us a pretty good fourth quarter."

Duncan did the same. He and Parker combined for all 25 of the Spurs' fourth-quarter points, helping trim what had been a 13-point deficit to as little as four.

Duncan scored 10 in one five-minute stretch, taking the ball to the rim time and again. When he didn't score, he usually went to the foul line — though that wasn't necessarily a good thing.

Duncan made only 9 of 19 free throws. The Spurs shot just 52.9 percent (18 of 34) from the foul line.

"(The shots) went down for me a couple of times and their big guys were in foul trouble, so Pop kept calling my number and giving me the opportunity to do it," said Duncan, who had 25 points and 12 rebounds. "Some shots went down but I missed some key free throws that would have made it closer, and that's the ball game."

After Parker's free throw brought the Spurs within 83-79 with 1:58 left, James quickly ended the rally. He drove from the right wing to the baseline then muscled past Duncan for a layup.

"He's blessed with great speed and size and quickness and all those things," Popovich said. "But he's smart. He knows how to play the game, involve his teammates; he knows the situation on the court. He's special."

The Spurs don't get much time to rest. They fly to Toronto this morning and have a noon start on Sunday. That's followed by a game in New York on Monday.

"Hopefully we can go out there and get these two games," Duncan said, "and turn this around a little bit."

boutons_
11-04-2006, 08:13 AM
.500, or lower, in the first 4 games?

TDMVPDPOY
11-04-2006, 08:41 AM
i will panic if we lose to the scrub knicks comin up...thats when i start callin for ppl to be waived

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-04-2006, 01:51 PM
i will panic if we lose to the scrub knicks comin up...thats when i start callin for ppl to be waived

So, who do you want to waive first? TD for his shitty FT shooting, or Tony for his sore ankle?

We don't need to waive anyone, but we do need to bench Oberto and let Elson do his thing.