PDA

View Full Version : Questions On Our Frontline

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-04-2006, 11:21 AM
Horry or Bonner?
Horry has been playing that backup spot and has had some good spots, but he looks like he's losing the BigShotism. He's been trying many threes, but it hasn't worked. Although he can play good at defense, Elson has shown he can do it too. And we got someone named Tim Duncan. And Bonner hasn't played at all! He's younger, faster, and can spread the D like Horry USED to. He just hasn't been given a shot. I admit, he has to work on his D, but meanwhile he can guard the SF or PF Bowen or Duncan isn't on. For example, we're playing Toronto next and while Duncan guards Bosh and Bowen guards Jones or Peterson, Bonner can guard Bargnani, or Graham, or Garbajosa, all who haven't had a good game yet. (Bargnani, Graham, and Garbajosa, I mean.)

Butler or Oberto?
I know I was an Oberto homer the whole offseason, but with the rapid improvement of Elson and the average Oberto, I've been wondering if Jackie can do better. Oberto has had his moments in these 2 games but Elson is beating him by miles. And most of you here said Jackie was the best of all our acquisitions. Do we let Oberto continue to develop, or is it time to let out Jackie? So he can beat up Rasho? :devil

And another note: I think we should give Barry more time.

wildbill2u
11-04-2006, 11:44 AM
I don't think we have any answers as to who can play better once you get past the big 4--Manu, Tony, Bruce and Tim.

None of the older Spurs should have a lock on their minutes and Pop should experiment with the new guys as quickly as possible. I think he should rotate the bench and put Horry on IR for example to get a look at either Butler or White. He knows what Horry can do and Horry ain't gonna be much help during the season, if at all.

Bruno
11-04-2006, 11:54 AM
Horry or Bonner?

Horry.
I've found Horry in quite good shape but his shoot is off for the moment.
I take him over Bonner because eh is a better defender and is clutch.

Butler or Oberto?

Butler (when he will be in shape).
Oberto is unathletic and undersized. A nba player can be unathletic or undersized, not both.
I think too that butler should mainly played when Duncan is on the bench.

ploto
11-04-2006, 12:15 PM
Don't you think Pop would be giving guys some time on the court if he saw something in training camp or practice? Butler's not even in the top 12. How is he suddenly going to play and not Oberto who Pop brought in and wants to give the opportunity to this season. He is pretty much going to play 4 guys- Tim, Rob, Oberto and Elson. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Bruno
11-04-2006, 12:33 PM
Butler's not even in the top 12. How is he suddenly going to play and not Oberto who Pop brought in and wants to give the opportunity to this season.

Butler is on a diet, he isn't in game shape for the moment.

"He's someone who has to continue to work on his conditioning. Because he's not going to be able to do what he's got to do if his body won't allow it. But he's on the right track."

"I think most of his playing time in the initial part of the season is going to be in practice learning the system, learning what a work ethic is day in and day out and what it takes to play at this level."

Texas_Ranger
11-04-2006, 12:36 PM
Horry and Butler.

ploto
11-04-2006, 12:40 PM
Butler is on a diet, he isn't in game shape for the moment.
And whose fault is that?

Kori Ellis
11-04-2006, 12:42 PM
When Bonner and Butler look in better shape, they'll get a crack at some minutes.

Bruno
11-04-2006, 12:49 PM
And whose fault is that?

Your point ?

I've just given you the reason why Butler will maybe play in 2 months while he is not playing now.

dimsah
11-04-2006, 01:00 PM
Don't you think Pop would be giving guys some time on the court if he saw something in training camp or practice?Yeah. Because he's great with personell.:rolleyes
That 4 guard + Oberto sure was a good idea last night.

Preseason is for fucking around with your lineups.

Kori Ellis
11-04-2006, 01:05 PM
Yeah. Because he's great with personell.:rolleyes
That 4 gaurd + Oberto sure was a good idea last night.

Preseason is for fucking around with your lineups.
Just for clarification (not that I'm disagreeing with you -- I hated the Oberto + 4 guards).

It was 53-58 when the 4 guards plus Oberto was implemented.
It was 56-62 when one of the guards came out for Horry.
It was 56-69 when another guard was replaced by Tim.

So the lineup that actually allowed the gap to increase to 13 was Oberto, Horry, Barry, Manu and Beno.

dimsah
11-04-2006, 01:07 PM
Just for clarification (not that I'm disagreeing with you -- I hated the Oberto + 4 guards).

It was 53-58 when the 4 guards plus Oberto was implemented.
It was 56-62 when one of the guards came out for Horry.
It was 56-69 when another guard was replaced by Tim.

So the lineup that actually allowed the gap to increase to 13 was Oberto, Horry, Barry, Manu and Beno.
Thanks for the stats. Either way there's not going to be much rebounding or interior defense with Horry, and Oberto as your bigs. Hell, Horry is just another guard that happens to be 6'10.

Kori Ellis
11-04-2006, 01:09 PM
Thanks for the stats. Either way there's not going to be much rebounding or interior defense with Horry, and Oberto as your bigs. Hell, Horry is just another guard that happens to be 6'10.

I agree. I was astonished at the Oberto lineup. I was really sleepy at the game and I thought that I must of missed something major for that lineup to be put in. :lol

Kori Ellis
11-04-2006, 01:11 PM
Why the hell is Butler out of shape to begin with. Sounds like bad work ethics to me. He won't amount to much this year.

He's already lost nearly 25 pounds since September. He'll be in shape in no time.

Butler, Williams and Bonner all showed up out of shape. Some players when they are on bad teams, don't have any strict workout regimine. Only time will tell how well they stick with the Spurs plan.

wildbill2u
11-04-2006, 01:13 PM
When Bonner and Butler look in better shape, they'll get a crack at some minutes.
I'm just as concerned about our SF as I am the center or PF. Looks to me like we suddenly are jammed up with frontline players, all of whom have current flaws.

1. Horry getting old and has career attitude that he usually doesn't give a shit during regular season.
2. Oberto, slow and undersized but maybe the only C integrated into Spur system right now.
3. Bonner and Butler--the butterball boys. Don't they want to play? Shouldn't professional pride have motivated them to come into camp in shape?
4. Williams--who is that masked man? We've heard so little of him that I wonder if he isn't simply a fictional construct, a paper contract with no human there. Will he get any minutes?
5. Elson--looks like the only one of these mutts that wants a permanent job and is working to get it. He may have less basketball skills than some centers in the league, but he certainly makes up for it with some physical athleticism.
6. White is so unproven, how do you integrate him while all these other guys ahead of him on the roster still have to be given some minutes to show what they have.
7. If we keep shifting Finley and occasionally Barry to SF to go small, then some of these guys are superfluous--and it shows how weak this roster may be in terms of overall bench strength.

Man, I'd hate to be Pop and the coaching staff trying to sort out all this while playing real games that count in the standings.

Lots and lots of questions about all these frontline players.

Kori Ellis
11-04-2006, 01:15 PM
4. Williams--who is that masked man? We've heard so little of him that I wonder if he isn't simply a fictional construct, a paper contract with no human there. Will he get any minutes?

To me, he's more out of shape than Butler.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-04-2006, 01:24 PM
Even though it could hurt in the short term, Pop needs to ditch his other-than-Tim big man rotation.

It needs to be Elson starting and Butler backing him up. So Butler's a little out of shape? What better way to get in shape than to play your way into it?

Oberto has shown that he's not quick enough to hang on the court, and I've already seen more people out jump him or plain reach over his back to steal away rebounds in the first two games this year than I ever saw happen to Malik Rose (and everyone knows how I feel about Rose).

If Elson + Butler can't hang the full 48, then by all means give Oberto the token garbage minutes left over.

This season should be building towards the playoffs, and it makes no sense to tread water with Osucko in there fucking things up when we can be getting Elson and Butler ready for the post-season.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-04-2006, 10:33 PM
I agree with Aggie, and as soon as Bonner is ready he should be playing Horry's minutes. Tim and Elson, Elson and Butler, Butler and Bonner, Tim and Bonner - these are lineups I want to see.