View Full Version : Hunsicker steps down

Jimcs50
11-02-2004, 08:51 AM
Nov. 2, 2004, 1:29AM

Hunsicker steps down
Longtime assistant Purpura promoted to general manager's post
By JOSE DE JESUS ORTIZ
Copyright 2004 Houston Chronicle

Gerry Hunsicker always specialized in the surprise move. He acquired key players when nobody expected him to or found enough budget room to build a consistent playoff contender during his nine years with a middle-market payroll.

Hunsicker pulled off another major surprise on Monday by resigning as Astros general manager, ending the most successful tenure by a GM in franchise history.

Adamant that he had sought an exit strategy for about a year, Hunsicker stepped down and ceded his position to longtime assistant Tim Purpura. Even though Hunsicker led the Astros through their most successful era, it was clear franchise owner Drayton McLane did not try to persuade him to stay.

The announcement was made less than two weeks after the Astros fell one victory short of earning the first World Series appearance in the franchise's 43 seasons.

"I think after the extra emotion and demands of this year and all the major issues hanging over this organization, knowing that next year would be my last, the more we talked about it, it made some sense that this might be in the best interests for everybody," Hunsicker said.

Hunsicker -- who helped the Astros win division titles in 1997, 1998, 1999 and 2001 and a wild card this year -- will serve the final year of his contract as an adviser to Purpura in a role that hasn't been determined.

Since Hunsicker was named GM on Nov. 10, 1995, the Astros have gone 701-595 for a .541 winning percentage. In that span, the club is sixth in victories and winning percentage among all major-league clubs.

Five of the Astros' eight postseason appearances came during Hunsicker's tenure. None of his eight predecessors oversaw more than one postseason appearance by the club.

"I talked about it on and off with my wife (Irene) during the year," said Hunsicker, 54. "We talked about an exit strategy, if you will. We talked about not wanting to do this forever. Especially at this point in our lives, we were looking for a place to jump off."

Signs pointed to departure
The timeline coincides with the one-year extension Hunsicker received last year after McLane let him interview for the New York Mets' GM post. Valued executives usually get two- or three-year extensions when other teams court them. Considering Hunsicker's success, many executives throughout baseball speculated the mere one-year extension was a sign the McLane-Hunsicker marriage would end soon.

When Hunsicker interviewed with the Mets in October 2003, McLane told the Chronicle that Purpura would be Hunsicker's likely replacement. That day has come.

"Leadership is the most important part of any organization," McLane said. "That's people who have the training, the experience and the knowledge. Gerry and I have had a great relationship these nine years.

"We talked about the accomplishments ... and almost going to the World Series. We're excited about that, thrilled about that, and I thank you for that, Gerry."

Hunsicker doesn't consider himself retired. He likely will resurface as a top candidate for another general manager's job. For now, he plans to spend more time with his wife and his 22-year-old daughter Kelly, who recently began a career in Denver.

"I'll certainly have more time to visit (Kelly) in Denver," he said. "Irene and I plan on doing a number of things together, do some traveling and spend some time at our place in Florida, trying to get reintroduced to each other. Baseball is tough on families."

McLane, who sidestepped baseball commissioner Bud Selig's edict to interview minority candidates when Phil Garner was hired to manage the team on an interim basis in July, sought and received permission from Selig to promote Purpura without interviewing minority candidates.

Since president of baseball operations Tal Smith returned to the organization on Nov. 22, 1994, the Astros have not hired a minority for a manager or general manager's position. For that reason, McLane said a minority will be hired to replace Purpura as assistant GM.

Purpura's interviews
Purpura, who has spent the last seven of his 11 years with the Astros as the assistant GM in charge of player development, interviewed for GM jobs with the Anaheim Angels, Cincinnati Reds and Pittsburgh Pirates during the last few years.

"It's been a dream. It's been a goal for a long time," he said. "I'm just glad it's happened finally. Frankly, going into last week, I had no thoughts that this could ever happen this year.

"I do want to thank Gerry for his leadership. If it wasn't for him, I wouldn't be here today. I have very, very large shoes to fill."

[email protected]

Jimcs50
11-02-2004, 08:52 AM
This totally blows. Mclane makes Holt look like George Steinbrenner. The Astros have zero chance of keeping Beltran now.

Spurminator
11-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Purpura > Hunsicker