PDA

View Full Version : Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging

MaNuMaNiAc
11-05-2006, 05:01 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/05/dujail.saddam/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A combative Saddam Hussein was sentenced Sunday to death by hanging for his role in a brutal crackdown nearly 25 years ago in Dujail -- the once obscure Iraqi town that is now a symbol of his regime's cruelty.

Also sentenced to death were Barzan Hassan, Saddam Hussein's half-brother and former head of the intelligence agency, and Awad Bandar, the former chief judge of the Revolutionary Court.

Taha Yassin Ramadan, the former vice president of Iraq, was sentenced to life in prison.

"This is very clear, and I tell the people today that the verdict was predetermined and has nothing to do with court proceedings," Ramadan said.

Mohammed Azzawi Ali, a former Dujail Baath Party official, was acquitted because of insufficient evidence against him, the court said.

The three others -- Abdullah Kadhem Ruwaid, Ali Dayem Ali and Misher Abdullah Ruwaid -- were sentenced to 15 years.

The 50-minute session was dramatic. Hussein entered with a Quran in hand, as he had in the past.

Hussein argued with the chief judge, shouting, "You are the servants of the occupiers."

He began yelling Allahu Akhbar -- God is great -- as the verdict and sentencing was read. "Don't push me, boy," he said after the judge ordered him taken away.

Bandar also screamed Allahu Akhbar as he was being taken out of court.

The verdicts come nearly three years after U.S.-led forces plucked Hussein out of hiding and just a few days before U.S. midterm elections, with the Iraqi war at center stage.

The defendants filed into the courtroom one by one to receive their sentences from a five-judge panel.

Defense attorney Ramsey Clark was also in court, but he was soon ousted by judges. The court asked Clark to leave, saying he had come here from America to mock the Iraqi people and this court.

The tribunal met in Baghdad to render verdicts for the co-defendants for their roles in a systematic attack on the Shiite town of Dujail after someone tried to assassinate Hussein during a visit on July 8, 1982. (Watch scenes from Dujail crackdown, Baghdad preparations -- 3:20 (javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/world/2006/11/04/sparks.iraq.saddam.preview.chan','2006/11/11');) http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/1.5/main/icon_video.gif (javascript:cnnVideo('play','/video/world/2006/11/04/sparks.iraq.saddam.preview.chan','2006/11/11');))

The tribunal met amid heavy security and sweeping curfews in Baghdad and elsewhere, as authorities brace for violent reactions to the verdicts. (Full story (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/05/iraq.main/index.html))

About 2,000 protesters in Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit on Sunday defied the government's curfew and demonstrated in support of the former leader.

A witness said the protesters carried posters of the former president and were shooting into the air.

The numbers of demonstrators grew after the sentence was announced. A complete movement ban -- both people and vehicles -- was imposed on Sunday in the provinces of Baghdad, Diyala and Salaheddin -- where Tikrit is located.

The Baghdad International Airport also shut down until further notice.

Each defendant found guilty can appeal. The sentences of life imprisonment and death allow for an automatic appeal.

There is no limit on how long the appellate judges have to review the case file, but the statute states that a death sentence should be carried out within 30 days after all appeals are exhausted.

Outbursts and walkouts

The Dujail trial, the first in what is a series of proceedings against former regime officials, began October 19, 2005, and ended July 27. It was a turbulent courtroom battle witnessed on TV across the globe.

It was marked by outbursts and harangues from Hussein and his co-defendants, lawyer walkouts, much-criticized court actions, and complaints from lawyers about poor security. There were grave concerns about security for legal teams and their families; three defense lawyers were killed. (Full story (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/04/trial.problems/index.html))

Witness testimony and prosecutors got their case across, however. According to court documents, the military, political and security apparatus in Iraq and Dujail killed, arrested, detained and tortured men, women and children in the town. Homes were demolished and orchards were razed.

The Revolutionary Court sentenced 148 males to death, with Saddam's signature ratifying the order.

But there were other deaths as well -- nine people were killed during the destruction of orchards, and many of the 399 people who had been detained were either killed or remain missing.

Hussein, Hassan and Ramadan were charged with willful killing, deportation or forcible transfer of population; imprisonment or other severe deprivation of physical liberty in violation of fundamental norms of law; torture; enforced disappearance of persons, and other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering; or serious injury to the body or to the mental or physical health.

Bandar was charged with willful killing by issuing the death sentences for the 148 people.

The remaining defendants are lower-level Baath Party officials from Dujail, who were charged with informing on residents who later died in prison or were sentenced to death.

velik_m
11-05-2006, 06:06 AM
Just in time for elections.

greenroom
11-05-2006, 08:11 AM
And let me guess the Hanging is scheduled the day before the elections.

Still won't help the Republicans IMO

Gerryatrics
11-05-2006, 08:40 AM
And let me guess the Hanging is scheduled the day before the elections.

Still won't help the Republicans IMO

Each defendant found guilty can appeal. The sentences of life imprisonment and death allow for an automatic appeal.

There is no limit on how long the appellate judges have to review the case file, but the statute states that a death sentence should be carried out within 30 days after all appeals are exhausted.

clambake
11-05-2006, 11:33 AM
The death penalty for killing innocent people? I'm shocked!

BruceBowenFan
11-05-2006, 12:06 PM
He deserves it

clambake
11-05-2006, 02:35 PM
I agree. Anyone that kills innocent people for power or political gain deserve judgement.

01Snake
11-05-2006, 02:39 PM
I agree. Anyone that kills innocent people for power or political gain deserve judgement.

Please just shut the fuck up. I don't know who is more annoying, you or SA210.

clambake
11-05-2006, 02:42 PM
When you said "I don't know", I couldn't agree more.

johnsmith
11-05-2006, 03:01 PM
Just in time for elections.

Since I can't do this face :rolleyes over and over again for the whole page, I'll just do it twice in regards to the above quote. :rolleyes

SA210
11-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Please just shut the fuck up. I don't know who is more annoying, you or SA210.
:clap for the internet tough guy.

Cant_Be_Faded
11-05-2006, 03:52 PM
Mission Accomplished! :smokin

smeagol
11-05-2006, 04:38 PM
What the fuck are people complaining about?

Guru of Nothing
11-05-2006, 05:35 PM
It won't happen in Dubya's reign.

whottt
11-05-2006, 05:56 PM
What the fuck are people complaining about?

Geez smeagol...it's only Saddam. You act like it's W that's been sentenced to hang or something.

Must I remind you that if it was up to the board libbies, Saddam would still be in power?

These people have been reduced to a near animilaistic state of singular thought. The single being, of course, an absolute and insatiable hatred of W beyond logic and comprehension.

Bush is an unlikeable guy...he rubs me the wrong way too...it's just something about him. The difference between you and I and the simpletons, is that we are able to disassociate from our initial dislike of Bush by using rational thought and an ability to analyze the situation.

The board retards don't have that capability, all they know is they don't like Bush and fuck any and everything that contradicts or interferes with that primal thought. Regardless of the consequences.

If you ask them if they would rather have Usama, or see Bush out of power...they'd rather see Bush out of power.

IF you ask them who they would rather see hang, Bush or Saddam, well of course it's Bush.

Is a nuked American city worth it to get Bush out of office? To them that's a relatively small price to pay.

Don't expect a rational reaction...I mean go search the forums and see if you can find any positive reactions by them to anything other than bad news for America.

Hatred of Bush is their one definable trait...it's an extremely primitive thought process which is why you so often can see their entire arguments contained in a single political cartoon, soundbite, bumpersticker or photo. And it's why they are unable to process external information, no matter how conclusive, that in someway contradicts their irrational thought.

When your brain is functioning at that low of a level, there's just an absence of that higher thought that you are used to from normal humans.

It's just a yin for yang thing...

Without hot there could be no cold.
Without wet there could be no dry.

And in this case...

Without stupid there could be no smart.

IT just seems to be more common in America because the stupid can get on the internet and it doesn't take much brainpower to google for the latest political cartoon.

You'll see them happy when Bush gets assasinated or something happens that they can blame Bush for...like a nuked American city. They still won't stop bitching...but their hearts will be soaring on the inside. Because in the primitive state of mind they currently operate out of....one of those events happen would give credence to that singurlar, primitive, irrational thought...IE, their whole reason for existence at this time would be validated.

They're like the guy on the highway that gets pissed off someone is tailgating him and slams on his breaks to teach that asshole behind him a lesson...killing himself and 40 others in the process....it's like that.

That's why they are complaining.

turambar85
11-05-2006, 06:16 PM
Oh Boy! We get a martyr. I guess all of the people who are excited over this news forget the fact that the Sunni's will be a liiiiittttle bit agitated when this happens. The second that Saddam's neck snaps, the Sunni population snaps.

Prison for life is, in this case at least, a much better option. Let him die in obscurity after a couple decades in prison, rather than go out in a blaze of martyrdom glory.

Whoo, more terrorists, more killings, more death.
All in the name of justice.

turambar85
11-05-2006, 06:27 PM
If you ask them if they would rather have Usama, or see Bush out of power...they'd rather see Bush out of power.

Is a nuked American city worth it to get Bush out of office? To them that's a relatively small price to pay.

When your brain is functioning at that low of a level, there's just an absence of that higher thought that you are used to from normal humans.

You'll see them happy when Bush gets assasinated or something happens that they can blame Bush for...like a nuked American city. They still won't stop bitching...but their hearts will be soaring on the inside. Because in the primitive state of mind they currently operate out of....one of those events happen would give credence to that singurlar, primitive, irrational thought...IE, their whole reason for existence at this time would be validated.

First, I would like to say one thing. HOOORAY FOR FEAR-MONGERING!!!!

Second, sure some of them would rather see Bush out of power than have Osama's head. Bush kills people now, Osama is currently obsolete. His job is finished. They have other figures who have taken his place, and the movement would not suffer to see his caveman ass taken out. And, like Saddam, killing Osama only makes a martyr. So, yes, perhaps people would rather see a madman with power taken out than see a martyr spring up and lead to more terrorism.

Third, again...HOOOORAY FOR FEAR_MONGERING!!! Who would nuke an American city? Are you saying Saddam would have? If so, you are dead wrong. Are you saying that Osama will if not captured? If so, I want proof of this, and I would like to know where he will obtain these weopons, and why it would not be done anyway if he were taken out.

Without your yin there would be no wrong, and I would never know just how right I am. Thank you.

And finally, MOOOORE FEAR-MONGERING! Damn, you're good at that. More talk of nuked American cities. More talks about how liberals WANT this to happen. You actually think this shit? And they are the ones suffering from a lack of reason and critical thinking?

Open your eyes, put down the tape of Mussolini's speeches. He is wrong, it is not best to disregard reason for gut instincts and faith. Look where it got him.

Adios!

SA210
11-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Geez smeagol...it's only Saddam. You act like it's W that's been sentenced to hang or something.

Must I remind you that if it was up to the board libbies, Saddam would still be in power?

These people have been reduced to a near animilaistic state of singular thought. The single being, of course, an absolute and insatiable hatred of W beyond logic and comprehension.

Bush is an unlikeable guy...he rubs me the wrong way too...it's just something about him. The difference between you and I and the simpletons, is that we are able to disassociate from our initial dislike of Bush by using rational thought and an ability to analyze the situation.

The board retards don't have that capability, all they know is they don't like Bush and fuck any and everything that contradicts or interferes with that primal thought. Regardless of the consequences.

IF you ask them who they would rather see hang, Bush or Saddam, well of course it's Bush.

Don't expect a rational reaction...I mean go search the forums and see if you can find any positive reactions by them to anything other than bad news for America.

Hatred of Bush is their one definable trait...it's an extremely primitive thought process which is why you so often can see their entire arguments contained in a single political cartoon, soundbite, bumpersticker or photo. And it's why they are unable to process external information, no matter how conclusive, that in someway contradicts their irrational thought.

And in this case...

Without stupid there could be no smart.

IT just seems to be more common in America because the stupid can get on the internet and it doesn't take much brainpower to google for the latest political cartoon.

They're like the guy on the highway that gets pissed off someone is tailgating him and slams on his breaks to teach that asshole behind him a lesson...killing himself and 40 others in the process....it's like that.

That's why they are complaining.
What website did you copy and paste that from?

:sleep

01Snake
11-05-2006, 07:37 PM
What website did you copy and paste that from?

:sleep

Shouldn't you be out organizing a fundraiser for the poor or something? :lol

boutons_
11-05-2006, 09:26 PM
"Saddam would still be in power"

... and 3000+ US military still be alive, and US $1T NOT poured into Iraqi sands, and Iraq would not be on the rails to become radical Shiite theorcracy and terrrorist haven.

Saddam was not a threat to the USA, but now the Repugs have lost Iraq which has become a huge threat to the USA.

rascal
11-05-2006, 10:41 PM

Then you would be for the death penalty for George Bush.

clambake
11-05-2006, 10:46 PM
NO No. He's saving our life by losing the war. How does one judge a man for that?

SA210
11-05-2006, 11:55 PM
Then you would be for the death penalty for George Bush.
Well, he does belong in jail.

SA210
11-05-2006, 11:57 PM
Shouldn't you be out organizing a fundraiser for the poor or something? :lol
Wanna help me? :toast

Nbadan
11-06-2006, 03:15 AM
What did you'll expect? Life? The whole point of this trial, this court for that matter, was to find Saddam guilty and sentence him to death. Hummm...now ask yourself, if Saddam was a 'international' war-criminal, like the Bush Junta claimed before the war, then why isn't Saddam being tried in the Hauge along with Milikovich and the other Serbian war-criminals? Perhaps, it's because the NeoCons don't want Saddam tried in a world court because of what he might say?