PDA

View Full Version : Saddam Hussein sentenced to death by hanging

MaNuMaNiAc
11-05-2006, 05:02 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/05/dujail.saddam/index.html

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- A combative Saddam Hussein was sentenced Sunday to death by hanging for his role in a brutal crackdown nearly 25 years ago in Dujail -- the once obscure Iraqi town that is now a symbol of his regime's cruelty.

Also sentenced to death were Barzan Hassan, Saddam Hussein's half-brother and former head of the intelligence agency, and Awad Bandar, the former chief judge of the Revolutionary Court.

Taha Yassin Ramadan, the former vice president of Iraq, was sentenced to life in prison.

"This is very clear, and I tell the people today that the verdict was predetermined and has nothing to do with court proceedings," Ramadan said.

Mohammed Azzawi Ali, a former Dujail Baath Party official, was acquitted because of insufficient evidence against him, the court said.

The three others -- Abdullah Kadhem Ruwaid, Ali Dayem Ali and Misher Abdullah Ruwaid -- were sentenced to 15 years.

The 50-minute session was dramatic. Hussein entered with a Quran in hand, as he had in the past.

Hussein argued with the chief judge, shouting, "You are the servants of the occupiers."

He began yelling Allahu Akhbar -- God is great -- as the verdict and sentencing was read. "Don't push me, boy," he said after the judge ordered him taken away.

Bandar also screamed Allahu Akhbar as he was being taken out of court.

The verdicts come nearly three years after U.S.-led forces plucked Hussein out of hiding and just a few days before U.S. midterm elections, with the Iraqi war at center stage.

The defendants filed into the courtroom one by one to receive their sentences from a five-judge panel.

Defense attorney Ramsey Clark was also in court, but he was soon ousted by judges. The court asked Clark to leave, saying he had come here from America to mock the Iraqi people and this court.

The tribunal met in Baghdad to render verdicts for the co-defendants for their roles in a systematic attack on the Shiite town of Dujail after someone tried to assassinate Hussein during a visit on July 8, 1982. (Watch scenes from Dujail crackdown, Baghdad preparations -- 3:20 (http://javascript%3cb%3e%3c/b%3E:cnnVideo%28%27play%27,%27/video/world/2006/11/04/sparks.iraq.saddam.preview.chan%27,%272006/11/11%27%29;) http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/.element/img/1.5/main/icon_video.gif (http://javascript%3cb%3e%3c/b%3E:cnnVideo%28%27play%27,%27/video/world/2006/11/04/sparks.iraq.saddam.preview.chan%27,%272006/11/11%27%29;))

The tribunal met amid heavy security and sweeping curfews in Baghdad and elsewhere, as authorities brace for violent reactions to the verdicts. (Full story (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/05/iraq.main/index.html))

About 2,000 protesters in Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit on Sunday defied the government's curfew and demonstrated in support of the former leader.

A witness said the protesters carried posters of the former president and were shooting into the air.

The numbers of demonstrators grew after the sentence was announced. A complete movement ban -- both people and vehicles -- was imposed on Sunday in the provinces of Baghdad, Diyala and Salaheddin -- where Tikrit is located.

The Baghdad International Airport also shut down until further notice.

Each defendant found guilty can appeal. The sentences of life imprisonment and death allow for an automatic appeal.

There is no limit on how long the appellate judges have to review the case file, but the statute states that a death sentence should be carried out within 30 days after all appeals are exhausted.

Outbursts and walkouts

The Dujail trial, the first in what is a series of proceedings against former regime officials, began October 19, 2005, and ended July 27. It was a turbulent courtroom battle witnessed on TV across the globe.

It was marked by outbursts and harangues from Hussein and his co-defendants, lawyer walkouts, much-criticized court actions, and complaints from lawyers about poor security. There were grave concerns about security for legal teams and their families; three defense lawyers were killed. (Full story (http://www.cnn.com/2006/WORLD/meast/11/04/trial.problems/index.html))

Witness testimony and prosecutors got their case across, however. According to court documents, the military, political and security apparatus in Iraq and Dujail killed, arrested, detained and tortured men, women and children in the town. Homes were demolished and orchards were razed.

The Revolutionary Court sentenced 148 males to death, with Saddam's signature ratifying the order.

But there were other deaths as well -- nine people were killed during the destruction of orchards, and many of the 399 people who had been detained were either killed or remain missing.

Hussein, Hassan and Ramadan were charged with willful killing, deportation or forcible transfer of population; imprisonment or other severe deprivation of physical liberty in violation of fundamental norms of law; torture; enforced disappearance of persons, and other inhumane acts of a similar character intentionally causing great suffering; or serious injury to the body or to the mental or physical health.

Bandar was charged with willful killing by issuing the death sentences for the 148 people.

The remaining defendants are lower-level Baath Party officials from Dujail, who were charged with informing on residents who later died in prison or were sentenced to death.

jman3000
11-05-2006, 05:03 AM
my father looks just like him.. moustache and all.

jman3000
11-05-2006, 05:04 AM
my dad also looks like mario from super mario brothers now that i think about it... have you ever seen my dad and mario in the same place? exactly!

Condemned 2 HelLA
11-05-2006, 05:09 AM
my father looks just like him.. moustache and all.

Does he have that same nappy homeless guy beard like the Saddamizer has as well?

my dad also looks like mario from super mario brothers now that i think about it... have you ever seen my dad and mario in the same place? exactly!

Has anyone seen your dad and Saddam in the same place at the same time?
Exactly!

jman3000
11-05-2006, 05:11 AM
i will turn my dad in to the sapd and be rich you FUCKERS! :greedy

my dad and saddam go back like babies in pacifiers.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-05-2006, 05:13 AM
yes, way to stay on topic people, seriously, WTF cares about who your dad looks like!??

Condemned 2 HelLA
11-05-2006, 05:15 AM
yes, way to stay on topic people, seriously, WTF cares about who your dad looks like!??

Dude, he's fucked up.
Just roll with it!
:lol

jman3000
11-05-2006, 05:17 AM
your mom.. that's who.

MannyIsGod
11-05-2006, 05:18 AM
:lmao

MannyIsGod
11-05-2006, 05:18 AM
your mom.. that's who.Your mom is fail proof. Nice job.

angel_luv
11-05-2006, 09:16 AM
:lol You kids done now?

There is no limit on how long the appellate judges have to review the case file, but the statute states that a death sentence should be carried out within 30 days after all appeals are exhausted.

So I guess it is like the states where it can take years to exhaust all possible appeals?

T Park
11-05-2006, 11:16 AM
Not enough punishment.

Go ahead and do an acid bath to him too like he did to his people in his country.

Burn cigs on his body. Go ahead and torture his ass like he did his people.

Shit head.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-05-2006, 12:32 PM
http://msnbcmedia4.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Art/COVER/061105/STG_MEGA_Saddam_8a.jpg

ChumpDumper
11-05-2006, 12:38 PM
I imagine the court will take a loooooong time to review the case -- long enough for him to be tried several more times.

Eminem
11-05-2006, 12:42 PM
Peel his skin off of his face like Leatherface did that one guy.

Eminem
11-05-2006, 12:43 PM
And then pour salt on it

T Park
11-05-2006, 06:14 PM
Still not enough.

E20
11-05-2006, 11:49 PM
Why don't they just let him go? I bet he is sorry.

CosmicCowboy
11-06-2006, 09:26 AM
hmmm...pay per view special?

Pistons < Spurs
11-06-2006, 10:23 AM
Would this be a public execution? or behind closed doors?

Hopefully someone puts his hanging on YouTube

angel_luv
11-06-2006, 12:37 PM
Relevent article:

http://news.yahoo.com/fc/World/Iraq

boutons_
11-06-2006, 01:01 PM
Conviction announced as scheduled by the RNC.

jman3000
11-06-2006, 01:21 PM
I'm going to a hangin',
oh honey pleeeeeeease ... won't you come?

Jimcs50
11-06-2006, 01:28 PM
I wish he were still in power...it was much nicer then.

polandprzem
11-06-2006, 01:34 PM
That just shows like people hating on people.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-06-2006, 01:56 PM
Saddam probably wishes he would have been a dictator in Africa now. He could have killed as many people as he wanted and no one would have noticed.

Jimcs50
11-06-2006, 02:35 PM
Saddam probably wishes he would have been a dictator in Africa now. He could have killed as many people as he wanted and no one would have noticed.

Oh, they would have noticed, but since there is no oil there, the US govt does not give a shit.

Trainwreck2100
11-06-2006, 04:08 PM

Yeah but killing people in the asscrack of the world means you're still living in an asscrack