PDA

View Full Version : Carmelo Anthony Takes Blame For 0-2 Start

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-05-2006, 11:25 AM
Melo takes responsibility for 0-2 start
By Marc J. Spears
Denver Post Staff Writer
Article Launched:11/05/2006 01:00:00 AM MST

"I can take responsibility for these two games," said Anthony after Friday's loss against Minnesota. "I can say it's my fault. There are some things I could have done toward the end of the game (Friday). There are some things I could have done better (Thursday against the Clippers) without getting kicked out. But we have 80 more games left."

Anthony has entered this season with high expectations and a new co-captain tag. But so far, the forward has had two games to forget.

Thursday he was ejected in the third quarter of the season opener for tossing his headband. Known for his late-game heroics last season, the fourth-year Nugget wasn't available for a game-winning shot attempt against the Clippers. Instead, Anthony was in the locker room talking on his cell phone with the Los Angeles Lakers' Kobe Bryant. Nuggets guard Earl Boykins shot an air ball at the buzzer in the 96-95 loss.

"It was kind of tough watching the team," said Anthony, who scored 15 against the Clippers. "They made a run. Any time you go into a situation when you're on someone else's court in that atmosphere, it's kind of hard, especially when I get kicked out like that.

"Kobe (called) me during the game after I got kicked out. He told me it was (wrong) and don't worry about it. But it is what it is."

Anthony apologized to his teammates Friday before the home opener against the Minnesota Timberwolves. He then went out and scored 28 points. But in the closing seconds of the 112-109 loss, he missed potential game-tying 3-point shots from 24, 26 and 32 feet before the buzzer.

Nuggets coach George Karl said Anthony should have gone for a quick two points and a steal instead of a 3-pointer. Anthony acknowledged he never got a quality 3-point attempt in the final seconds.

"It was definitely a quick-two situation," said Karl, who gave his team Saturday off. "I think with 18 seconds, we've got the ball, it's just take it up the court and attack. If you fall into a good 3, you shoot it, but the 3s weren't that good."

Said Anthony: "Sometimes I make it, sometimes I don't."

The Nuggets have several days to think about being 0-2; they don't play again until Wednesday against the visiting New York Knicks. Denver also started last season 0-2 and lost five of its first eight. But Anthony is optimistic today's Nuggets will turn things around quickly and believes they should be 2-0.

"It's too early in the season to be moping around," Anthony said. "If the guys see me moping around, then they'll be moping around. We can't have that this year."