PDA

View Full Version : Question on buying a TV...

TheTruth
11-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Mandy and I want to spend around 1500 for a TV. What is the best we can do for that kind of money?

I don't know much about what the technical stuff means, so if you post it please explain it to me.

Thanks!

DirkAB
11-05-2006, 09:07 PM
Get a rear projection DLP. That isn't a flat panel TV, but it will probably only be 18 inches deep, the downside is you can't hang it on your wall. The upside is you can get a lot more bang for your buck if you don't get a flat panel. I got a 48 inch Toshiba DLP about a year ago for right around what you are looking to spend. Make sure to take the time and do the research yourself instead of just taking others words for it.

You might even want to go look at Sam's Club, the last few times I've been in there they have had some fairly respectable televisions for good prices. You can find the TVs they have for even cheaper on the internet, but some of those online stores are risky, you see some really bad stories about peoples experiences online. So if you do buy off the internet make sure that the place isn't a scam, because there are a number of shady places out there. I chose to get mine off the internet, but some may not like that type of situation because if something goes wrong with it the customer service aspect isn't as convenient. Take your time and really figure out what you want!!!!!!!!

MannyIsGod
11-05-2006, 09:13 PM
Well, it depends on how big you want it and what you're willing to do. I've been doing a lot of research lately because I want to score a big TV in the next month myself. For 1500, if you don't mind a big TV you can get a 60 inch DLP HD easily. If you want an LCD or Plasma, 1500 is also more than enough, but you're probably going to have to size down.

When you get a TV, you have to decide if you want one with a built in tuner or not. Almost all of them have built in tuners now, but I may get one without because I can get it cheaper and I plan on hooking up a media center PC to it either way and I plan on building the PC with an HD tuner. I'm hoping to spend no more than what you're budget is and I will have a TV, a DVR, and a way to play computer games on the TV as well.

Walmart recently had a 42 inche Plasma on sale for 1300, and they have an iLo brand TV of the same sort for 1200. There are some larger projection and DLP type HD TVs for about the same. Plasma and LCD are the slim ones you can hang on the wall, and DLP and projection are the ones like the one Kori and LJ have.

Personally, I plan on getting a plasma in the 40 inch range. I like the size and the picture quality of LCDs and plasmas more than the extra size of the others.

Best Buy is going to be running some killer sales on the day after Thanksgiving, so I plan on camping out and being extremely close to the front of the line if you guys are interested in doing that with me. We can take a grill and tailgate and all that good stuff.

MannyIsGod
11-05-2006, 09:15 PM
Get a rear projection DLP. That isn't a flat panel TV, but it will probably only be 18 inches deep, the downside is you can't hang it on your wall. The upside is you can get a lot more bang for your buck if you don't get a flat panel. I got a 48 inch Toshiba DLP about a year ago for right around what you are looking to spend. Make sure to take the time and do the research yourself instead of just taking others words for it.

You might even want to go look at Sam's Club, the last few times I've been in there they have had some fairly respectable televisions for good prices. You can find the TVs they have for even cheaper on the internet, but some of those online stores are risky, you see some really bad stories about peoples experiences online. So if you do buy off the internet make sure that the place isn't a scam, because there are a number of shady places out there. I chose to get mine off the internet, but some may not like that type of situation because if something goes wrong with it the customer service aspect isn't as convenient. Take your time and really figure out what you want!!!!!!!!The prices have come down a lot and they're probably going to hit even lower this holiday season. You can still get a larger DLP's for the same value but the value difference isn't as large anymore, IMO.

Then again, I'm thinking of setting mine up in an upstairs loft. The thought of moving a TV upstairs or downstairs when we move is enough to make me cry.

MannyIsGod
11-05-2006, 09:18 PM
Oh, and as far as technical stuff goes, you want to get 1080p if you can get it. Thats the best quality of HDTV at this time. 720p is also good, and 1080i is the 2nd best, but 1080p is without question the best. Those are the different resolutions available. You also want to pay attention to the inputs it has and you want to probably get as many as possible and you want them to be digital. You want component inputs and you want HDMI as well because you want to be able to get an HDDVD player. Its going to do you no good to have a kick ass TV and not be able to get the apropriate input in there in order to maxamize the display.

DirkAB
11-05-2006, 09:23 PM
When you get a TV, you have to decide if you want one with a built in tuner or not.

That is a pretty good point, I would find out if you need to get a tuner or not. Where I live Time Warner cable really my only choice for cable, and the only way that you can watch HD with there service is by renting one of there digital boxes with the HD tuner built in. So it would have been a waste of money to get a TV with the tuner built in. Maybe you are in the same situation, if so you might as well get one without it and buy bigger size.

I really like my Toshiba, my parents also have a Toshiba which has worked out really nice. The good thing about Toshiba is it is so reasonably priced compared to Sony, but you give up little quality. Sony makes great TVs but you really pay a premium for them, so if you are on a budget I would steer clear. I think that Samsung, Panosonic, LG, Philips, and a few others are pretty solid brands. I've never really cared for some of the cheaper brands in Best Buy, I'm not even sure what they are called but I think that a couple of them are like Westinghouse and I think that iLo brand that MiG brought up. If you compare the picture to the others that they are sitting right next to you can really tell a difference. But then again you have to be careful of how they look in the stores because they have the picture settings all jacked up.

DirkAB
11-05-2006, 09:27 PM
The prices have come down a lot and they're probably going to hit even lower this holiday season. You can still get a larger DLP's for the same value but the value difference isn't as large anymore, IMO.

Then again, I'm thinking of setting mine up in an upstairs loft. The thought of moving a TV upstairs or downstairs when we move is enough to make me cry.

I haven't priced them in about a year so I couldn't say. But you will always pay a premium for flat panel, the question is how big of a premium.

And if his budget is 1500 he'll want to take the warranty, shipping, and accessories like chords into consideration. He'll probably get a 50 inch TV if he stays within his budget, if my guestimation is right.

MannyIsGod
11-05-2006, 09:33 PM
True, accessories are going to cost extra, as is a wall mount if you plan on doing that. However, there are rumors places like Best Buy offering a 700 dollar 42 inch plasma!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now, it won't be 1080p, but that would be one hell of a value any way you slice it.

Matthew, you may want to follow things on these sites:

fatwallet.com
slickdeals.net
gottadeal.com

They will all have great deals on them. If you go to gottadeal.com and filter the front page to show only TV and HDTV deals you'll see a lot of great deals they have going right now.

MannyIsGod
11-05-2006, 09:35 PM
Check out some of these rumored prices at BB on the day after Thanksgiving.

I want one of the Sharps if I can get it:

From another source:

BB Black Friday - TVs 30% off
This Black Friday, BB will be having 30% off on all TVs. Some exclusions.

Sharp AQUOS 42" 1080p LCD HDTV LC-42D62U $1200
Hewlett-Packard 42" Plasma HDTV PL-4260 $850
Insignia™ 42" Plasma HDTV NS-42PDP $700
Magnavox 15" HD-Ready LCD TV w/HD $130

DirkAB
11-05-2006, 09:41 PM
However, there are rumors places like Best Buy offering a 700 dollar 42 inch plasma!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow, that is cheap. Even if it isn't that great of a TV, it is an indication that other TV prices are going to be a lot lower than before.

MannyIsGod
11-05-2006, 09:42 PM
Yeah, there have been a ton of articles about this holiday season being dominated by HDTVs.

:lol

can you tell I've been researching this shit?

NASpurs
11-05-2006, 10:21 PM
Check out some of these rumored prices at BB on the day after Thanksgiving.

I want one of the Sharps if I can get it:

From another source:

BB Black Friday - TVs 30% off
This Black Friday, BB will be having 30% off on all TVs. Some exclusions.

Sharp AQUOS 42" 1080p LCD HDTV LC-42D62U $1200
Hewlett-Packard 42" Plasma HDTV PL-4260 $850
Insignia™ 42" Plasma HDTV NS-42PDP $700
Magnavox 15" HD-Ready LCD TV w/HD $130Geez $1200 for a 42" 1080p? If the rumor is true, I'm all over it. Is 10 PM the day before early enough to camp out?

NASpurs
11-05-2006, 10:26 PM
Anyone know more about laser tvs that are coming out? Is it better to just wait for those ?

Zombie
11-05-2006, 10:29 PM
Anyone know more about laser tvs that are coming out? Is it better to just wait for those ?

Nothing like a good laser beam to warm up the old retina.

Marklar MM
11-05-2006, 10:31 PM
I think I will wait until they invent a TV with a laser defense system.

boutons_
11-05-2006, 11:05 PM
LCD is the best technology now for now burn-in.

NorCal510
11-05-2006, 11:35 PM
save a thousand bucks and go to costco and get a 600 dollar one

DirkAB
11-05-2006, 11:53 PM

You could find some new technological advancement just on the horizon each and every year, so if you held out for each on you will never get a TV. There are plenty good TVs out there, don't wait if you really want HDTV right now.

DirkAB
11-05-2006, 11:55 PM
LCD is the best technology now for now burn-in.

That's not true, burn in isn't really a problem with new plasmas.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
11-06-2006, 01:31 AM
I really don't see a need for 1080p right now. There aren't any sources for 1080p and the HD-DVD vS. Blu-Ray war has yet to be waged.

Truth is, unless you go really big(60+ inches), you probably wouldn't notice a difference between 1080p and 1080i.

Distance from the set is also key, if not the main key, when determining what size to purchase.

11-06-2006, 01:41 AM
Oh, and the best picture I have seen in person came from this set, which can be had for $1600-2200.

Panny 42" plasma (TH-42PX600U)

http://www.plasmatvbuyingguide.com/plasmatvpics/reviews/panasonic_px600_001.jpg

But it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, you have to buy a set that looks good to you and fits your viewing area.

MannyIsGod
11-06-2006, 01:42 AM
I really don't see a need for 1080p right now. There aren't any sources for 1080p and the HD-DVD vS. Blu-Ray war has yet to be waged.

Truth is, unless you go really big(60+ inches), you probably wouldn't notice a difference between 1080p and 1080i.

Distance from the set is also key, if not the main key, when determining what size to purchase.Well, the point is if you're going to spend that much on a TV, you should get as much as possible for your money. Especially if you want it to last you a good deal of time.

11-06-2006, 01:47 AM
Well, the point is if you're going to spend that much on a TV, you should get as much as possible for your money. Especially if you want it to last you a good deal of time.

True, but unless you're going to drop another couple hundred($500+) for an HD-DVD player, which may go the way of Beta, it won't be worth it IMO. Plus, most in the industry say that if you aren't sitting less than 7' away, the difference between 720p and 1080p is undecipherable.

They aren't planning on providing any cable/satellite sources at 1080p in the near future.

TheTruth
11-06-2006, 09:03 AM
Hey Manny, I think that we may be down for camping out with you for a TV. Mandy and I were trying to watch a Spurs game on her 20 incher and both of our blind asses were having trouble seeing the score. My 19 inch flat screen has a better picture, but still isn't big enough. We are gonna buy a TV for ourselves instead of big presents for each other for Christmas. I'm trying to get her to up our budget to around 2K. But if we can find a nice deal on BF that would be gravy.

baseline bum
11-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Plus, most in the industry say that if you aren't sitting less than 7' away, the difference between 720p and 1080p is undecipherable.

Anyone in the industry who says that is an idiot. Even on a 24" LCD, the picture on an XBox 360 looks worlds better at 1080i than at 720p, discounting frame-rates. On a 40+" TV I can't see how you wouldn't notice it consicously when it's been blown up even more.

baseline bum
11-06-2006, 11:08 AM
1080p is still a ways off. PS3 may be 1080p, but the games being developed for it aren't.

johnsmith
11-06-2006, 11:26 AM
The numbers you are looking at 1080, 720, represent the amount of lines on the television. TV is broadcast in two lines that come up either interlaced (i) or progressive (p). Interlaced means they come up with the even number lines first then the odd number lines second and produce the picture you are watching. Progressive means they come up all at the same time, thus a clearer picture. Also, the more lines, the clearer the picture.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for those that don't know the difference.

When I researched all this back in February, I ended up settling on a 52" Sony Grand Wega rear projection HDTV. The prices for flat panels was still a little too high for me. I will say, I've been very satisfied with this TV, plus, Sony put in some technology that I can't remember the name of right now so that you can see the TV just as well at an angle, which is a problem for many projection sets.

Oh, and finally, do all your research at Best Buy and Circuit City, then go look at Conn's. I got the same TV at Conn's but for $500 less and talked them into throwing in a stand for free.

leemajors
11-06-2006, 11:32 AM
The numbers you are looking at 1080, 720, represent the amount of lines on the television. TV is broadcast in two lines that come up either interlaced (i) or progressive (p). Interlaced means they come up with the even number lines first then the odd number lines second and produce the picture you are watching. Progressive means they come up all at the same time, thus a clearer picture. Also, the more lines, the clearer the picture.

Just thought I'd throw that out there for those that don't know the difference.

When I researched all this back in February, I ended up settling on a 52" Sony Grand Wega rear projection HDTV. The prices for flat panels was still a little too high for me. I will say, I've been very satisfied with this TV, plus, Sony put in some technology that I can't remember the name of right now so that you can see the TV just as well at an angle, which is a problem for many projection sets.

Oh, and finally, do all your research at Best Buy and Circuit City, then go look at Conn's. I got the same TV at Conn's but for $500 less and talked them into throwing in a stand for free.

if i remember correctly that used to be called active matrix (seeing from the side). not sure what sony calls it. i would probably go with the brand/store that offers the most comprehensive warranty at the most reasonable price.

DirkAB
11-06-2006, 11:48 AM
1080p is still a ways off. PS3 may be 1080p, but the games being developed for it aren't.

Exactly, 1080p would be sweet if there was actually anything to watch in that resolution. I heard that Blue-ray is going to have 1080p, but like you mentioned earlier who knows if it will go the way of Betamax. Plus Blue-ray players cost a grand right now.

By the time that they actually broadcast 1080p or they have games or movies that are in that resolution, that TV will probably be missing some piece of technology that will make you wish you would have waited to get a 2nd or 3rd generation 1080p TV. So I wouldn't look at the whole 1080p thing as a deal breaker, I don't really think it is all that important right now. I wouldn't want to pay extra for a TV right now because it has a feature that I can't use for quite some time.

I have a question, what is better 720p or 1080i? I've heard conflicting information about which is better.

johnsmith
11-06-2006, 11:52 AM
I have a question, what is better 720p or 1080i? I've heard conflicting information about which is better.

I asked that same question at Bjorn's one afternoon when I was researching this stuff.

Salesmen showed me the two, side by side on 50" Tv's, and honestly, I couldn't tell a difference.

johnsmith
11-06-2006, 11:58 AM
Just a thought sometimes they have a particular TV that needs to be moved or is out of date or over-inventoried so they fuck with the options on it to make another TV next to it look miles better. Just my .02 I have friends that work at Conns and they do this all the time. Most of the time its to make a cheaper TV look better than an expensive one simply because they have 10 of them. So ask for the remote and fuck with the picture a minute once you narrow down your choices.

That's why I suggest going to Bjorn's, find a salesperson that looks bored, tell them you have absolutely no intention of buying a tv from them because you can't afford it, then let them explain everything to you and show you all their shit. I also did a lot of research beforehand so I'd be able to tell if the guy was full of shit or not, he wasn't. It worked well for me.

Having said that, it does depress you a bit to see a 72" flat panel Plasma screen HDTV on the wall at Bjorn's for $20,000 and then you go and look at the television that you are going to buy and you USED to think it was bad ass but now it just looks stupid.

johnsmith
11-06-2006, 12:03 PM
Shocked he actually took the time for you. When a customer just comes in to tire kick me I blow them off and let them entertain themselves and I move on. Nice work JS must be your dashing good lucks and huge wang.

Definately the wang............I just whip that thing out in public and sales people come running.

King
11-07-2006, 08:44 AM
Oh, and the best picture I have seen in person came from this set, which can be had for $1600-2200.

But it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, you have to buy a set that looks good to you and fits your viewing area.

Funny you say that, I just went and picked a tv up last night, and it was between that one, and the Samsung s4253. They were next to each other, and the Panasonic had a really yellow picture. So did the 50 inch above it. I tried adjusting the colors, and they were still really yellow compared to everything else around. I went with the Samsung, and love it so far. I'm having a bitch of a time getting my Tivo remote to recognize it, but the TV is great. Same price, same features.

MannyIsGod
11-09-2006, 02:24 AM
Hey Matthew, I'm not sure what size you wanted, but I'm planning on getting one of the following:

http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?InvtId=L37HDTV-B&AID=10439518&CJPID=1412508&cm_ven=CJ&cm_pla=1412508&cm_cat=1357845

http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html/602-3747427-6619034?asin=B000FGA76G

The BF ads are coming out and there isn't anything that is really jaw dropping. There are some good prices, but nothing that really makes me want to camp out. Those 2 seem like pretty sweet deals though.

EDIT: I'm researching more on the Vizio, and its not all that good. N/M on that one.

MannyIsGod
11-09-2006, 08:29 AM
Office Max will have a 37 inch HD Ready TV. The Brand is Viore and the price will be 699. No built in tuner. It says at least 2 per store. That one may actually be camp worthy.

Best Buy has a Westinghouse 32 inch and 42 inch HD Ready TV also. No tuners. The smaller is 479 and the larger is 999. I didn't think these were great deals, but in retrospect they aren't bad at all. I don't know if they are camp worthy, but the 42 inch TV might be.

johnsmith
11-09-2006, 08:47 AM
Office Max will have a 37 inch HD Ready TV. The Brand is Viore and the price will be 699. No built in tuner. It says at least 2 per store. That one may actually be camp worthy.

Best Buy has a Westinghouse 32 inch and 42 inch HD Ready TV also. No tuners. The smaller is 479 and the larger is 999. I didn't think these were great deals, but in retrospect they aren't bad at all. I don't know if they are camp worthy, but the 42 inch TV might be.

I'd stay away from the HD sets that aren't built in. Too costly in the long run. In my opinion.

MannyIsGod
11-09-2006, 09:01 AM
Why? Cable box's have them built in. I'm also thinking about setting up a PC with an HD Tuner as a media center and that will have the HD tuner.

Really, the only reason to have an HD tuner in a set is to receive OTA HD.

johnsmith
11-09-2006, 09:05 AM
Why? Cable box's have them built in. I'm also thinking about setting up a PC with an HD Tuner as a media center and that will have the HD tuner.

Really, the only reason to have an HD tuner in a set is to receive OTA HD.

Yeah, actually you're right.

Does Directv and dish network boxes do the same thing in regards to HD signals as say, Time Warner boxes?

MannyIsGod
11-12-2006, 03:31 AM

But it doesn't matter what anyone thinks, you have to buy a set that looks good to you and fits your viewing area.On sale right now from Amazon for 1350 with free shipping and no tax. Talk about a steal.

I think I may have found my new TV.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000F6SR0O/ref=nosim/10108121979-20

boutons_
11-12-2006, 09:37 AM
that Pana is $200+ cheaper than Amazon here:

http://www.pricescan.com/electronics/items/item526052.asp?sid=G5116492

MannyIsGod
11-12-2006, 10:03 AM
Its a good thing those sites don't charge 200 in shipping because then it wouldn't be any cheaper at all ;)

boutons_
11-12-2006, 12:03 PM
I pay lower price on-line + shipping to get a lower or equal price, and then save at least TX/SA sales tax.

MannyIsGod
11-12-2006, 12:57 PM
Amazon has no shipping and no sales tax. Its a wash. But I'd rather buy from Amazon because I trust them a ton more than a bunch of other online retailers.

MannyIsGod
11-13-2006, 12:57 PM
D'oh! Went to purchase it right now and the price had gone up 150. I may end up using your links boutons.

MannyIsGod
11-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Nevermind, the sites you listed that are cheapest require a MIR. I hate MIRs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-13-2006, 01:41 PM
I asked that same question at Bjorn's one afternoon when I was researching this stuff.

Salesmen showed me the two, side by side on 50" Tv's, and honestly, I couldn't tell a difference.

You generally won't be able to in that setting.

First, stores are notorious for ramping up the settings on tvs to the max (often called scorch setting) so the TV looks great in the show room with bright overhead lighting.

Second, standing as close as you probably were, they would have been virtually indistinguishable.

To get back to the original question... lots of variables.

1. The HD tuner isn't a big need if you have digital cable or Dish or Directv. Both will function as the tuner you need.

2. 1080p is definitely the max resolution, but there aren't any sources on the horizon that will take advantage of it. Blu-ray and HD-DVD both are 1080p, but I think that you're really splitting hairs between 1080i and 1080p at this point (and for the next 6-7 years).

3. Get one with at least two HDMI connections. Don't compromise on this one.

4. Plasma vs. LCD.... despite sentiments otherwise, there is still an issue with burn in on plasmas. Not as bad as it used to be, but if you watch a lot of static content and aren't careful about what you watch, it will hit you (don't even think of going plasma if you're going to run Windows Media Center on it).

If you don't want the hassle of making sure to vary your content on your tv and watch a lot of news (with the tickers), go with LCD. Less to worry about on the burn in factor.

Both look very good with sports and gaming.

Don't believe the hype on the Panasonic. When I bought a plasma last year, I had it narrowed to Panasonic and Philips. I took advantage of Costco's return policy, bought both, brought them home and hooked them up.

Despite the Panasonic having better reviews everywhere I could find one, the Philips had better colors, a better picture, and just all around was a better TV than the Panasonic.

5. The other thing you need to consider is the size of your room. For any moderate size room, anything over a 42" is overkill.

If you've got a large room you want to set it up in, I'd recommend even looking at going the way of a projector. You can pick up 720p DLP projectors for around $1000, and Costco has a nice projector and screen combo for $1700.

To give you some recommendations:

Plasma: Philips, Hitachi, Pioneer

LCD: Sharp Aquos all the way

Personally, I ended up with the 42" Philips plasma with ambilight (it's the back lighting, you've probably seen the commercials by now). The backlighting adds a depth and contrast that make it a unique viewing experience.

The other cool thing about is that it has a memory card reader and also USB ports. You can download photos and mp3s onto a USB stick, plug it into the TV, and it will do a photo slide show for you with music.

The other cool thing Philips does is issue firmware updates on the web that you can download to the thumb drive, plug in, and update your TV. It proves handy for fixing glitches here and there, and they also have used it to put enhancements into the TV.

Kind of a unique way of updating your TV, which all of these big screens are essentially a mini computer behind a plate of glass.

Here's the '06 model, on sale right now...

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7705619&type=product&productCategoryId=pcmcat95100050005&id=1138085296194

But probably cheaper at Costco...

The other plasma that I thought had just as good a picture was the Hitachi Ultravisions. The screens for Pioneer, Hitachi, and Philips are all made in the same plant over in Asia. 'Nuff said. The Pioneer's have a premium on them though!

On LCDs, there's the Aquos and then there's everything else. There's a premium for their sets, but it's worth it. If you're going bargain hunting I have heard good things about the Westinghouse models as well.

I'd say get one at Costco, that way you get the benefit of Costco's lifetime satisfaction guarantee (in essence, an extended warranty for as long as you are a member).

Stay away from Vizio (Costco), Maxient (Best Buy), Isignia (best Buy), Polaroid (Circuit City), and HP (various retailers).

Ginofan
11-13-2006, 01:59 PM
Thanks for all the help everyone, the technical lesson has been very helpful. AHF, I was fond of the ambilight for a while, but with all the bonus stuff you mentioned...it's a front runner for me.

We'll keep you guys updated on exactly what we end up getting.

MannyIsGod
11-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Its funny that you said stay away from HP and then you pimped the Sharps, because its the same TV. :)

The Phillips is on sale at Costco, however!

I dont' have a Costco membership, however, so I'm checking that out righ tnow.

MannyIsGod
11-13-2006, 02:17 PM
On standard TV, generally speaking is the picture quality better on a 37 inch LCD or a 42 inch plasma?

MannyIsGod
11-13-2006, 03:51 PM
Now I'm considering the 37inch Westinghouse LCD that BB has because the people at AVS are love it.

Ugh, I can't make up my damn mind.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-13-2006, 08:32 PM
Manny, the HP uses the same glass as the Sharp but I've heard the guts of the set are different. If you can find different, that'd be interesting to read.

I hadn't looked at Costco recently. The Philips is down to $1300? :wow May have to go back and get another one for the bedroom :lol

On standard TV, generally speaking is the picture quality better on a 37 inch LCD or a 42 inch plasma?

I'd say a 37". The bigger the screen, the crappier SD channels look. But I think you're really splitting hairs there, I don't see it being THAT bad on the 42". There's definitely times I hate analog broadcasts, and if I could have my way everything would be HD, but you can live with it.

BTW, let me put a plug in for Costco - instead of dealing with extended warranties, as long as you keep your membership at Costco you've got one with your membership. I've even read on AVS forum about people with expired memberships taking stuff back for credit.

Like I said, they took the POS Panasonic I bought back, no questions asked. Thought that was pretty cool of them. It's nice to have that piece of mind about things.

Good luck on the 37" if you decide to get it. You better be camping to get that one :lol

Ginofan - the big reason I brought the extras up is that they're very useful. The idea that you can flash update the software on the TV is genius, and more flat panel makers are copying Philips and their idea on that.

And on the picture thing, when I was looking for displays, I really didn't think much of the feature to be able to quickly load your photos and play them. But now I have that capability, I use the hell out of it :tu

MannyIsGod
11-13-2006, 09:27 PM
Oh, if I get the 37 I'm not going to do it on Black Friday. I'll just do it now and save myself the trouble of camping and pay the extra hundred or whatever.

Jess and I hit up several stores tonight to check out TVs, and this is what I came up with:

The Westinghouse LCDs were pretty damn sweet, especially when you consider the price. I thought Best Buy did a crappy job one them up setting them up, however. They had one with an good old analog cable input. WTF???

The Pannisonic from above had the best picture I saw. But they were way more expensive instore. I don't want to buy it from an online retailer that I don't firmly trust, and I don't want to spend that much for it. When I started my budget was lower and it keeps creeping up. I have to draw the line because if not I'll end up with a dam 60inch Plasma that costs me 3 grand. I've never owned a TV larger than 27 inches, and even an upgrade to a Westinghouse is a huge upgrade for me. I'm in a position where I can afford to spend money on a TV now, but I don't necessarily want to spend too much, so I may have to redefine my budget back down with that in mind. But damn, that Panny looked NICE.

I saw a Sanyo at Wal-Mart that had a great picture and was priced very well. It was 42 inches and it had a great image. They had the contrast set a bit too high, but I'm pretty sure I can adjust that. I'm going to do some research on this, but this is another one in the running.

I didn't get a chance to look at the Phillips.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-13-2006, 09:43 PM
The trick to looking at them in the stores is to either find the control panel on the side/bottom to adjust the menu settings, or to get a sales monkey to get you the remote to jack with.

For example, most of the plasmas are set up in the high 80s and up on all their settings in the store. In real life at home, they're down in the 50s on contrast/brightness, etc.

Don't know much about the Sanyo.

MannyIsGod
11-13-2006, 09:45 PM
Yeah, they had most of their settings way out of wack. The color was way too rich on some of them and I know that its just the settings. I'm sure they just pull them out of the box and set them up.

I'm trying to research the Sanyo right now. It really did had a picture that was as good as the Pannisonic but was a bit washed out. I'm assuming that was simply because the settings were off.

One of the girls there tried to help me, but she couldn't figure out how to change shit and she finally gave up and just kinda wandared off. (at BB) Talk about customer service baby!

gameFACE
11-13-2006, 11:47 PM
I'm shopping around myself. My basic approach is to go with a smaller better quality picture than a large projection tv with poor picture quality. I haven't seen a projection tv worth buying. Plus I like alot of daylight in the room and a projection tv doesn't really cut it. Plus the viewing angle is less.

Good luck.

MannyIsGod
11-14-2006, 07:20 AM
I went ahead and picked up the 37 inch Westinghouse from BB. I just feel the higher resolution will work better for me because I'm also going to use it as a secondary computer monitor (poker from the couch? HELL YEAH) so the higher resolution that an LCD offered over a plasma was attractive. Also, for the most part there were many opinions on the AVS forums that this set was solid with the exception of sound. Sound is a non factor because the sound will be going through a reciever.

Anyhow, if I experience any problems with it, its going back. In that situation I'll just go with the Pannasonic that was mentioned above and I just won't use it as a monitor.

Thanks for everyone that helped me out.

P.S. Best Buy also threw in a free DVD recorder by insignia. I really don't have a need for this and it sells for 100 bucks at BB. Can I return it and get a 100 dollar giftcard if I take it to another BB and just tell them I lost the receipt?

11-16-2006, 07:06 PM
After buying the 360, I had to overhaul my wiring and AV set-up. This is what is looks like before cleaning it up(little dusty and tough to hide cables with an open component/TV stand):

http://i15.tinypic.com/4bs9d8w.jpg

I'll take pics after I clean it up and views from the front.

Curious to see some pics of your set-ups...

MannyIsGod
11-16-2006, 09:45 PM
HDTV straight up rules. I'm watching a show that is 30 minutes of movie trailers. WTF? And I love it!!

11-16-2006, 11:15 PM
Nothing But Trailers. I love that show. Bikini Destinations ain't bad, either. You are going to start loathing standard def TV.

This is my rig:

http://i15.tinypic.com/2yo4p09.jpg

http://i9.tinypic.com/2v926mv.jpg

MannyIsGod
11-16-2006, 11:50 PM
Dude, start? I already do. I just flip through the HD channels and try not to watch anything else. Its sad, but its true.

I'll post pics of our loft in a while. I've got to fix all of the wires with the twist ties I just picked up.

Nice setup btw.

MannyIsGod
11-19-2006, 09:20 PM
The Westinghouse turned out to be a very good TV - especially for the price - BUT I'm going to end up taking it back. The extra detail from the LCD is less important to me than the better color and black levels I'd get from the plasma. Using it with my computer didn't turn out all that great, so I think I'd rather just get the Pannasonic from above. The color levels are what break it for me. From straight on, it looks excellet, but from a 45 degree angle it starts getting a bit washed out. Its not bad by any means, but I notice it so I think I'd rather just go witht he plasma.

However, for anyone who doesn't want to spend as much, the Westinghouse is a very very good TV especially for the price.

ginobili20
11-20-2006, 03:19 PM
I just picked up that Panasonic 42px60u at Circuit City for 1265 inc. tax. If you search on the gottadeal forums. There is a 10% off CC coupon that allows you to get it so cheap.

TheSanityAnnex
11-20-2006, 05:09 PM
I also just picked up my first HD plasma from Sears. I was leaning towards Samsung and had it ready to go, but a Magnavox caught my eye that was bigger and had the same picture quality. I ended up with a 37 in. instead of a 32 in. and I'm loving it. Got my NBA League Pass ordered today as well! Only problem out here is that I'm hooked up to cable and can't get NFL Sunday ticket. :pctoss

If I ran a splitter, would I be able to run both Cable and DirecTV? I need to watch my Charger games and am sick of spending my Sundays and money in Sports Bars.

MannyIsGod
11-20-2006, 05:14 PM
You need a direct HDTV Receiver. That box should have a way to connect to your TV through either a component video output or a DVI or HDMI output. So yeah, you can easily run both. I know Kori and LJ have both DirectTV and Cable for Sunday Ticket, but I don't know if they have both on the same TV.

TheSanityAnnex
11-20-2006, 06:20 PM
You need a direct HDTV Receiver. That box should have a way to connect to your TV through either a component video output or a DVI or HDMI output. So yeah, you can easily run both. I know Kori and LJ have both DirectTV and Cable for Sunday Ticket, but I don't know if they have both on the same TV.Sounds good. I guess if I do it I'll have to switch off with the HDMI cables because my TV only has one HDMI input.

MannyIsGod
11-20-2006, 06:25 PM
Sounds good. I guess if I do it I'll have to switch off with the HDMI cables because my TV only has one HDMI input.You can just component video if you have those open. Its not a big difference.

HDMI stands for High Defenition Media Interface. Its a purely digital cable that transmits both audio and video along one cable. It looks like a USB port on steroids.

Kori Ellis
11-20-2006, 07:10 PM
You need a direct HDTV Receiver. That box should have a way to connect to your TV through either a component video output or a DVI or HDMI output. So yeah, you can easily run both. I know Kori and LJ have both DirectTV and Cable for Sunday Ticket, but I don't know if they have both on the same TV.

We use DirecTV downstairs and TW cable upstairs, so not on same TV.

MannyIsGod
11-20-2006, 07:26 PM
To those of you who own plasmas, did you have any problems with burn in?

King
11-20-2006, 11:05 PM
To those of you who own plasmas, did you have any problems with burn in?

Burn-in takes a long time - but you can get ghosting (which I haven't, yet), which goes away. Most of the plasmas are equipped with pixel shifting and a burn-in screen to prevent these. The main problem with it (supposedly) is with the sidebars on 4:3 pictures, if you watch for many hours straight. You're recommended to watch in 16:9 as much as you can.

I haven't had any issues with burn-in, though.

11-20-2006, 11:19 PM
You should never take for granted that HDMI is better than component. You should try them both out and see what looks best with your equipment. Component can, and does, look better in some set-ups.

MannyIsGod
11-21-2006, 02:46 AM
Burn-in takes a long time - but you can get ghosting (which I haven't, yet), which goes away. Most of the plasmas are equipped with pixel shifting and a burn-in screen to prevent these. The main problem with it (supposedly) is with the sidebars on 4:3 pictures, if you watch for many hours straight. You're recommended to watch in 16:9 as much as you can.

I haven't had any issues with burn-in, though.I hate taking a program out of its origional aspect ratio but I doubt I'll be watching much 4:3 content anyhow. I read a ton of burn in this afternoon and it seems to be a much smaller issue with newer sets.

Oh, and the Panasonic I'm getting is not the one above, but it virtually is. I'm going to get the TH-42PX60U, the one above is the 600U. They're the same actual TVs, but the 600U has better sound, a differet bezel, and a PC input.

jaffies
11-21-2006, 03:09 AM
Oh, and the Panasonic I'm getting is not the one above, but it virtually is. I'm going to get the TH-42PX60U, the one above is the 600U. They're the same actual TVs, but the 600U has better sound, a differet bezel, and a PC input.

J&R has a pretty good price on the 600U: about $1800 delivered

TheSanityAnnex
11-21-2006, 03:41 AM
I was at Best Buy today picking up some shit and I happened to browse through their PreThankgiving day sale catalog........................the TV I bought at Sears was 300 dollars cheaper at Best Buy. I marched my ass over to Sears and demanded my 300 dollars. They handed it to me with a frown. I am now extremely happy.

11-21-2006, 12:56 PM
So I don't have to ask anymore dumb questions is there a good place to get the total low-down on all this technology with some set-up advice.

http://www.cnet.com/4520-7874_1-6635863-1.html?tag=main.understand

MannyIsGod
11-21-2006, 02:56 PM
If you want to camp at Best Buy on Thanksgiving, you can pick up that Panasonic for 999+tax.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=pcmcat104300050017&ref=39&loc=01&ref=39&loc=01&ref=39&loc=01&type=category

I'm trying to decide how much sleeping at home that night is worth to me. :lol

11-21-2006, 03:16 PM
1080p is the highest resolution available.

MannyIsGod
11-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Its a hell of a deal, but I was just going to pick it up today or tomorow for about 150 more. I'll probably just pick it up before Friday. 150 isn't enough of a savings for me to camp out for.

Also, I'm not sure there are ANY 42" plasmas out there that can truely display 1080i/p at this time. They can accept the signal, but the TV's native resolutions are much closer to the 720p standard so they just downscale the signal. Basically what that means is that you miss out on the finer details that 1080i/p show but in real world practice its not going to be a very big deal from normal viewing distance on a 42 inch TV.

MannyIsGod
11-21-2006, 03:32 PM
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=7898331&st=westinghouse&lp=1&type=product&cp=1&id=1158317794037

11-21-2006, 03:46 PM
What price range you looking at DRM?

MannyIsGod
11-21-2006, 03:55 PM
Dude, get the 103inch Panasonic Plasma.

http://www.swiatobrazu.pl/images/upload/ces06_103_inch_plasma.jpg

11-21-2006, 04:10 PM
Between 2k and 3k on the TV closer to 2k the better but I'll stretch if I have to. I'm trying to do the whole set-up for under 4k

In that price range, I'd look long and hard at the Pioneer Pro plasma.

I believe it's the 930HD and it's around $2500.

AVRs to compare to the HK 435:

Yamaha RXV 1500

Denon 2805

Each AVR will have it's pros and cons.

11-21-2006, 04:24 PM
A great set of speakers(sans sub) for around the same price as the Bose system:

http://www.vanns.com/shop/servlet/item/features/542499322

And a review of the system:

http://www.hometheatermag.com/subsatloudspeakers/146/

But you have to listen to speakers/AVR on your own. Much like picture quality/resolution, it is very subjective and you have to find components that you like to see/hear.

Slash bitches.

MannyIsGod
11-21-2006, 05:36 PM
I've thought about Denon they seem good. I've leaned twords HK because I've owned recievers by them before and was happy. I've never heard of those speakers but the review sure speaks high of them. Rule #1 on the TV is I can't get anything smaller than 50in per wife's instructions. I was looking at the 55in Wega as an option. I'd be happy with 42 or so but I guess she needs Oprah in near full size.:lol

This is the first time I've ever heard of a wife wanting a bigger TV.

I've personally never had a screen bigger than 27, so the 37 I have now is pretty big, and the 42 will be huge.

MarkyMark
11-22-2006, 12:29 AM
About a year and a half ago I bought a 50" Sony rear projection Tv at SAM's. Trust me if you are going to buy a t.v. the best place to do it is at Sam's. They give you a FULL 1 year no questions asked warranty. And at Sam's they are constantly getting more stuff in, and lowering prices to their older stuff. AND if you switch out your t.v. with another one in the store, they give you another 1 year warranty. It doesn't make since i know. But it's a heck of a deal. I'm now on my third t.v. from there. And now I have upgraded to a 60" newer version that came with a stand. And I didn't lose any money in the process. So you might want to go check out what they have.

MannyIsGod
11-22-2006, 06:24 PM
I just got the Panasonic today. It was an challenge to get a Best Buy price match, and in the end I should have just gone elsewhere but the managers annoyed me with their changing responses so when the manager said he was taking a loss on the system I decided to wait them out.

Anyhow, thanks to the Lachino for providing truck transportation for my TV quest, but I am finally at the end.

SequSpur
11-22-2006, 06:45 PM
Now I'm considering the 37inch Westinghouse LCD that BB has because the people at AVS are love it.

Ugh, I can't make up my damn mind.

i have the 32 inch westinghouse, its okay,

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
11-28-2006, 02:16 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?CMP=AFC-TechBargains&Item=N82E16889022018

Nice deal if anyone is still looking

SpursWoman
11-28-2006, 10:43 AM

This is the first time I've ever heard of a wife wanting a bigger TV

:wtf

We have a 51" right now ... anything smaller than that would suck, because with my old, bad eyes I couldn't see it from the kitchen while I'm washing the freaking dishes. Bigger is better....because smaller doesn't mean shit if I can't see it. :lol

There's a 72in plasma I saw that I wouldn't mind robbing a bank for. :)

TDMVPDPOY
11-28-2006, 11:42 AM
stay away from plasmas with built in HD, they fuckn suck

spend a couple hundred on a HD reciever and it will do wonders.....

MannyIsGod
11-28-2006, 07:33 PM
stay away from plasmas with built in HD, they fuckn suck

spend a couple hundred on a HD reciever and it will do wonders.....Dude, almost every plasma on the market now has an HD reciever.

MannyIsGod
11-28-2006, 07:35 PM
:wtf

We have a 51" right now ... anything smaller than that would suck, because with my old, bad eyes I couldn't see it from the kitchen while I'm washing the freaking dishes. Bigger is better....because smaller doesn't mean shit if I can't see it. :lol

There's a 72in plasma I saw that I wouldn't mind robbing a bank for. :)Well that makes 2 "wives".

I agree though, those 60in Plasma's that I saw looked incredible. Only 5 grand for the one I wanted!

Kori Ellis
11-28-2006, 08:10 PM
I agree though, those 60in Plasma's that I saw looked incredible. Only 5 grand for the one I wanted!

Two years ago, 60" plasmas were over $15K. How much lower do you think the price will go?

sa_butta
11-28-2006, 08:43 PM
Two years ago, 60" plasmas were over $15K. How much lower do you think the price will go?$15k is insane for a TV. even $5k is way out of my range. I have a 48" HDTV that suits me just fine. I guess If I had loads of cash I would have a better one.

SpursWoman
11-28-2006, 08:49 PM
Well that makes 2 "wives".

Weird. I don't know any woman, "wives" or otherwise, who wouldn't agree that bigger is better.

MannyIsGod
11-28-2006, 09:36 PM
Weird. I don't know any woman, "wives" or otherwise, who wouldn't agree that bigger is better.It was mostly a tounge in cheek comment Christy. :p

AlamoSpursFan
11-28-2006, 09:51 PM
The former Mrs. ASF shit a purple twinkie right in the big middle of the TV section of the BB in the Forum when she found out I was planning to get a 65" Mitsubishi a couple years back. She said she'd divorce me if I got it because it would hurt her eyes to look at a screen that big.

In hindsight, I shoulda got the TV.

(Ended up with a Sony 36" tube HD set, which I'm still pretty happy with, but would make a better 2nd TV.)

01-07-2007, 06:26 PM
I added a touch of ambient light(rope light) behind my TV and it really makes the colors pop. The pics are a little large, but I really don't care.

http://i14.tinypic.com/3yhkbqh.jpg

http://i14.tinypic.com/30cwvme.jpg

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 11:24 AM
A poor man's ambilight! :lol

Nice.

Slomo
01-08-2007, 11:34 AM
Ambilight sucks! It's a cheap trick that doesn't really do anything for the picture quality. The constant flickering of the ambilight is annoying as hell. You can fix it at a certain color and brightness but then you've just paid a lot for what DLF did.

What DLF did is smart.
Having a bright screen on a black background is tiring to the eye and putting a soft light behind it helps a lot.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 11:52 AM
I don't usually watch TV in the dark.

Can Anyone reccomend good home theater DVDs? :D

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-08-2007, 01:31 PM
Ambilight sucks! It's a cheap trick that doesn't really do anything for the picture quality. The constant flickering of the ambilight is annoying as hell. You can fix it at a certain color and brightness but then you've just paid a lot for what DLF did.

What DLF did is smart.
Having a bright screen on a black background is tiring to the eye and putting a soft light behind it helps a lot.

What the hell are you talking about? I have Ambilight, there is no flicker. Yeah, it changes with the screen's dominant colors, so what?

Everyone who has ever watched anything at my place thinks it's awesome.

The only bitching I hear is when one of my buds tells his wife he wants one and she says no :lol

Slomo
01-08-2007, 01:42 PM
What the hell are you talking about? I have Ambilight, there is no flicker. Yeah, it changes with the screen's dominant colors, so what?

Everyone who has ever watched anything at my place thinks it's awesome.

The only bitching I hear is when one of my buds tells his wife he wants one and she says no :lolWell it's not flickering per say but it change in sync with the dominant screen color so sometimes with very dynamic pictures it does "flicker".

Anyway I find it fucking annoying!

It's a gimmick it doesn't bring anything to the picture. I guess it's designed to be "cool".

Jimcs50
01-08-2007, 02:07 PM
Just bought this one last week at Circuit City.

It is very nice. It was on sale for 1899.00

http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/P/B000ELOQS2.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V38073050_.jpg

01-08-2007, 03:06 PM

Pussy.

:rollin

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 03:29 PM
Pussy? WTF?

Ok Mr. TV nightlight. :lol

01-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Pussy? WTF?

Ok Mr. TV nightlight. :lol

You seriously watch TV with the lights on all the time? Don't the colors seem to be washed out with the light in the room?

If you think your TV looks good now, get that sumbitch calibrated and add bias lighting.

BTW, I only did this the cheap and dirty way to see what it looked like for future reference. It definitely will be part of the equation when I upgrade in a few years, but done the right way (6500k bulb, crown molding, yada, yada, yada). I think I am going to try blue later this week to see how my eyes perceive the color spectrum with the blue background.

MannyIsGod
01-08-2007, 03:49 PM
I thought about getting it calibrated, but I'm not sure its worth the money on this set. I'll watch movies with the lights off at times, but for the most part we watch with some lights on. I've never noticed it looking washed out.

slayermin
01-08-2007, 11:59 PM

Can Anyone reccomend good home theater DVDs? :D

I have been meaning to buy Die Hard and Die Hard 2.

Aggie Hoopsfan
01-09-2007, 12:23 AM
Well it's not flickering per say but it change in sync with the dominant screen color so sometimes with very dynamic pictures it does "flicker".

Anyway I find it fucking annoying!

It's a gimmick it doesn't bring anything to the picture. I guess it's designed to be "cool".

At least on my Philips TV, you can adjust the settings for the Ambilight, so you can avoid the 'rapid changing' during dynamic scenes, as you put it.

Sorry you find it fucking annoying, the simple solution there is not to watch one :lol

It actually brings more dynamic contract to the picture, I put it besides a Panasonic 42" when I was trying to decide which one to buy (bought both, took the Panny back), the picture is so much better on this one and the Ambilight adds to the experience.

Sorry you're a hata. :lol

Slomo
01-09-2007, 08:38 AM
At least on my Philips TV, you can adjust the settings for the Ambilight, so you can avoid the 'rapid changing' during dynamic scenes, as you put it.My father in law's model doesn't have that it only has dynamic or static where you can then set it to any colour and intensity you want.

It actually brings more dynamic contract to the picture, I put it besides a Panasonic 42" when I was trying to decide which one to buy (bought both, took the Panny back), the picture is so much better on this one and the Ambilight adds to the experience.I would bet the the better picture was/is a result of the superior picture processing engine that Philips has (I forgot the name, but according to many revues it's one of the best - specially the latest version - and from what I've seen it's really good).

Sorry you're a hata. :lolOf ambilight? Definitely! :lol