PDA

View Full Version : Ludden: Spurs moving right along

Kori Ellis
11-05-2006, 11:41 PM
Spurs moving right along: Starting Oberto, playing Barry prove key to team's victory over Raptors

Web Posted: 11/05/2006 10:02 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110606.01D.BKNspurs.raptors.gamer.2e688f9.html

TORONTO — Somewhere between the last game of the playoffs and the first day of training camp, Fabricio Oberto moved from the end of the Spurs' bench to the starting lineup.

Oberto can cite a number of reasons for his rapid rise through the rotation, including the most obvious: For about a week in July, he was the only center on the roster. Gregg Popovich, however, has his own theory.

"His coach," Popovich said, "got a clue."

Oberto gave his coach even more reason to be confident in him Sunday after producing a career-high 12 points and matching a personal best with nine rebounds in the Spurs' 103-94 victory over Toronto on Sunday at Air Canada Centre.

"He's the most productive ugly player I've ever seen," Popovich said. "He looks like a bull in a china shop out there, but he sets good picks, rebounds his fanny off and makes great passes. He just knows how to play."

Starting Oberto wasn't the only decision by Popovich that paid off Sunday. After not playing Brent Barry at all in the season opener against Dallas, Popovich pulled him off the bench in the first quarter then sat back and watched him make all five of his 3-pointers.

Tim Duncan scored 26 points in another aggressive performance and Tony Parker scored 10 of his 19 in the fourth quarter. But it was Oberto and Barry, Raptors coach Sam Mitchell said, who "killed us."

After Duncan left midway through the first quarter with his second foul, Toronto quickly pulled out to a 25-14 lead. With Manu Ginobili, Michael Finley and Parker all struggling with their shot, Popovich turned to Barry.

Barry slowed the run by burying his first 3-pointer just before the end of the quarter. He started the second quarter with another. By the time he added two more 3-pointers — giving him four in about eight minutes — the Spurs had wiped out the deficit.

"We let him come into the game and shoot threes," Mitchell said. "That's what he does. That's the disheartening thing. Our guys know that after we go over the scouting report."

Oberto likely didn't appear on too many scouting reports last season. After signing with the Spurs, he averaged only 8.3 minutes. On Sunday, he played 24.

With the Raptors frequently sagging off Oberto, he had room to cut to the rim. He missed only one of his five shots and 10 of his 12 points came during the Spurs' second-quarter rally.

"He probably hasn't changed in 10 years, he's been doing the same stuff game after game," Popovich said. "I just didn't put him on the floor last year. We had Rasho (Nesterovic) and Nazr (Mohammed). He was just the new, low man on the totem pole."

Realizing they needed to get more athletic, the Spurs traded Nesterovic to Toronto after the season — and later watched Mohammed sign with Detroit. They signed Francisco Elson, who scored six points and took eight rebounds Sunday.

The Spurs needed a couple of big men who could run the floor to keep pace with the Raptors. After overhauling its roster, Toronto has a fast, attacking lineup that features six international players.

For one stretch in the third quarter, only three American-born players were on the floor.

"I think I was the only guy with one vowel in my last name," Barry said. "When (Jose) Garbajosa went to the free-throw line, I was trying to spell (his name) in my head without looking at the back of his jersey.

"I couldn't do it, but it was interesting."

The Spurs did a better job of controlling the tempo in the second half. Duncan deserved a lot of that credit, scoring 13 points in the third quarter. Unlike during Friday's loss to Cleveland, he also made all but one of his free throws, converting 6 of 7.

On consecutive possessions in the third quarter, Duncan took Raptors forward Chris Bosh to the block, then spun by him for a short shot.

"It's great to see Timmy with that sort of quickness again," Barry said, "and knowing that the bank shot probably isn't that far behind."

BeerIsGood!
11-05-2006, 11:48 PM
18 points and 17 rebounds from the two centers is crucial. If they can consistently do that - the Spurs will be in good shape.

Kori Ellis
11-05-2006, 11:52 PM
Yeah that was an awesome game for the Oberto-Elson combination. Let's see what they do tomorrow in NY.

Notorious H.O.P.
11-06-2006, 12:05 AM
It's a good thing that centers like Shaq are a dying breed because I don't like Oberto's and Elson's chances against a classic, dominant center cut in that mold. But I really like our chances against quicker teams and it is really the Suns and Mavs of the NBA world that stand in our way of regaining the championship.

And I really hope Barry can put it together this year. I've been waiting for him to show up but other that a great game or two (or even a good quarter), he hasn't been the player I expected to see. Good things for Barry mean good things for the Spurs and I'm all about that.

T Park
11-06-2006, 12:39 AM
Spurs moving right along: Starting Oberto, playing Barry prove key to team's victory over Raptors

Web Posted: 11/05/2006 10:02 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

TORONTO — Somewhere between the last game of the playoffs and the first day of training camp, Fabricio Oberto moved from the end of the Spurs' bench to the starting lineup.
Oberto can cite a number of reasons for his rapid rise through the rotation, including the most obvious: For about a week in July, he was the only center on the roster. Gregg Popovich, however, has his own theory.

Oberto gave his coach even more reason to be confident in him Sunday after producing a career-high 12 points and matching a personal best with nine rebounds in the Spurs' 103-94 victory over Toronto at Air Canada Centre.

"He's the most productive ugly player I've ever seen," Popovich said. "He looks like a bull in a china shop out there, but he sets good picks, rebounds his fanny off and makes great passes. He just knows how to play."

Starting Oberto wasn't the only decision by Popovich that paid off Sunday. After not playing Brent Barry at all in the season opener against Dallas, Popovich pulled him off the bench in the first quarter then sat back and watched him make all five of his 3-pointers.

Tim Duncan scored 26 points in another aggressive performance and Tony Parker scored 10 of his 19 in the fourth quarter. But it was Oberto and Barry, Raptors coach Sam Mitchell said, who "killed us."

After Duncan left midway through the first quarter with his second foul, Toronto quickly pulled out to a 25-14 lead. With Manu Ginobili, Michael Finley and Parker all struggling with their shot, Popovich turned to Barry.

Barry slowed the run by burying his first 3-pointer just before the end of the quarter. He started the second quarter with another. By the time he added two more 3-pointers — giving him four in about eight minutes — the Spurs had wiped out the deficit.

"We let him come into the game and shoot threes," Mitchell said. "That's what he does. That's the disheartening thing. Our guys know that after we go over the scouting report."

Oberto likely didn't appear on too many scouting reports last season. After signing with the Spurs, he averaged only 8.3 minutes. On Sunday, he played 24.

With the Raptors frequently sagging off Oberto, he had room to cut to the rim. He missed only one of his five shots and 10 of his 12 points came during the Spurs' second-quarter rally.

"He probably hasn't changed in 10 years, he's been doing the same stuff game after game," Popovich said. "I just didn't put him on the floor last year. We had Rasho (Nesterovic) and Nazr (Mohammed). He was just the new, low man on the totem pole."

Realizing they needed to get more athletic, the Spurs traded Nesterovic to Toronto after the season — and later watched Mohammed sign with Detroit. They signed Francisco Elson, who scored six points and took eight rebounds Sunday.

The Spurs needed a couple of big men who could run the floor to keep pace with the Raptors. After overhauling its roster, Toronto has a fast, attacking lineup that features six international players.

For one stretch in the third quarter, only three American-born players were on the floor.

"I think I was the only guy with one vowel in my last name," Barry said. "When (Jose) Garbajosa went to the free-throw line, I was trying to spell (his name) in my head without looking at the back of his jersey.

The Spurs did a better job of controlling the tempo in the second half. Duncan deserved a lot of that credit, scoring 13 points in the third quarter. Unlike during Friday's loss to Cleveland, he also made all but one of his free throws, converting 6 of 7.

On consecutive possessions in the third quarter, Duncan took Raptors forward Chris Bosh to the block, then spun by him for a short shot.

"It's great to see Timmy with that sort of quickness again," Barry said, "and knowing that the bank shot probably isn't that far behind."

T Park
11-06-2006, 12:39 AM

:lmao

:smokin :smokin :spin :spin

SenorSpur
11-06-2006, 12:45 AM
It's a good thing that centers like Shaq are a dying breed because I don't like Oberto's and Elson's chances against a classic, dominant center cut in that mold. But I really like our chances against quicker teams and it is really the Suns and Mavs of the NBA world that stand in our way of regaining the championship.

It'll also be curious to see what the Oberto/Elson combo does against Yao too.

coopdogg3
11-06-2006, 12:59 AM
Yeah that was an awesome game for the Oberto-Elson combination. Let's see what they do tomorrow in NY.

Maybe Butler will get a chance to play some against his old team. Don't think Pop makes decisions based on that, but players tend to play well against former teams. Butler may have something to prove to the Knicks.

T Park
11-06-2006, 01:08 AM
Yeah bonner didn't do good, butler could.

Solid D
11-06-2006, 01:11 AM
After tracking Fabri through Argentina newspapers and rough translators (since 2002) prior to his signing, it is a good feeling to finally see him getting his chance to show what he can do for this team.

T Park
11-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Still isn't right for the starting 5.

Elson should be starting.

Slo spurs fan
11-06-2006, 04:44 AM
You all should have something in mind. Barry scored his 3 pointers with Beno on the floor. If Tony was on the floor with Brent, then Brent would not get the ball at all.

Dex
11-06-2006, 10:38 AM
Still isn't right for the starting 5.

Elson should be starting.

Maybe it's the Manu factor at work?

Let the opponent get used to the starters on the floor, THEN you hit them with the right cross and insert Elson, probably our best center, when they're just getting ready to bring in the second string. Instant boost off the bench, something we've been lacking ever since Manu went back to being a starter for the 327th time.

This would, however, hamper Elson's time shared with Tim on the floor, but frankly...I think Oberto probably needs Duncan at his side more then Elson does at this point.

Mr. Body
11-06-2006, 10:59 AM
You all should have something in mind. Barry scored his 3 pointers with Beno on the floor. If Tony was on the floor with Brent, then Brent would not get the ball at all.

Bing! Bing! Bing!

Parker is a horrid passer. Not a horrid passer; he has tunnel vision. His shot first.

Bruno
11-06-2006, 11:06 AM
Maybe Butler will get a chance to play some against his old team. Don't think Pop makes decisions based on that, but players tend to play well against former teams. Butler may have something to prove to the Knicks.

Bonner on the IL for Butler can be a good idea for the NY game.
Butler can be usefull against Curry.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-06-2006, 11:14 AM
I like Elson off the bench. You don't usually think of a big man as your energy guy off the bench but that's what he's looked like these first three games. His ability to outrun other bigs creates transition opportunities and makes for easier scoring for the second unit. You wouldn't get that with Oberto.

1Parker1
11-06-2006, 11:52 AM

Apologies accepted :smokin

BeerIsGood!
11-06-2006, 12:47 PM
Maybe it's the Manu factor at work?

Let the opponent get used to the starters on the floor, THEN you hit them with the right cross and insert Elson, probably our best center, when they're just getting ready to bring in the second string. Instant boost off the bench, something we've been lacking ever since Manu went back to being a starter for the 327th time.

This would, however, hamper Elson's time shared with Tim on the floor, but frankly...I think Oberto probably needs Duncan at his side more then Elson does at this point.

It seems that Pop wants to use Elson to spell Duncan at various times during the game. He usually goes to Horry at the 4 to spell Oberto around the same times. This worked pretty well against the athletic Raptors, and I'm interested to see if he stays with it and how it works out long term. I wonder if he would go to Timmy and Elson together at the end of games if needed - having two very athletic bigs on the court at the same time would be a great change of pace from the Oberto - TD lineup. It could also be a psychological factor because Oberto had no PT last year and Pop wants him along TD to allow him to get the easy junk baskets and put backs off of TD double teams. Oberto seems really good at doing just that. I say leave him in the starting lineup for now to see if this strategy works well and gets everyone playing to their strengths.

xapatan2
11-06-2006, 02:22 PM
Bing! Bing! Bing!

Parker is a horrid passer. Not a horrid passer; he has tunnel vision. His shot first.

Well, since the time you are both spurs Fans, you should somehow know that : the coach, Mr Popovich is setting most of the systems....

In other words, if you want to give your real thoughts, create a subject : "who has the best passing vision on the team?"

Xap'

Que Gee
11-06-2006, 03:06 PM

Its so refreshing to see people paying attention.
:spin

Que Gee
11-06-2006, 03:07 PM
When Tony came back on the floor, Barry had zero shot attempts and literally only touched the ball twice.

WalterBenitez
11-06-2006, 04:35 PM
"He's the most productive ugly player I've ever seen" :oops

POP speaks like my mother in law :ihit

ducks
11-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Bing! Bing! Bing!

tp can not drive right now because his ankles hurt
then his assist will go up :ihit

Mr. Body
11-06-2006, 04:44 PM
tp can not drive right now because his ankles hurt
then his assist will go up :ihit

1. He was driving plenty in Toronto. I'd suggest watching a game.

2. He's still the same player he always has been. His court vision is mediocre.

leemajors
11-06-2006, 05:33 PM
parker has the green light to drive and/or shoot. i wouldn't say he's a mediocre passer at all, he has been given free reign as far as his priorities. he's no nash, but i imagine if he were told to dish more he would be more than capable. spurs offense doesn't need a pg who averages more assists than parker - he's a perfect fit here.

Obstructed_View
11-06-2006, 06:49 PM
With Parker's FG%, only an idiot wouldn't have him thinking shoot before pass.

spurtime
11-06-2006, 07:57 PM
Its so refreshing to see people paying attention.
:spin

I've noticed for awhile that Brent is more effective being on the floor with Beno as opposed to Tony. I'm glad someone else noticed this and articulated it.

xapatan2
11-07-2006, 04:16 AM
I've noticed for awhile that Brent is more effective being on the floor with Beno as opposed to Tony. I'm glad someone else noticed this and articulated it.

For sure, 1 game and one vision...

well i say, one another game and one another vision :

Barry Jump Shot: Made (5 PTS)
Assist: Parker (5 AST) 7:48
[SAS 39-24]

Barry Jump Shot: Made (8 PTS)
Assist: Parker (6 AST) 4:36
[SAS 48-27]

Barry Jump Shot: Made (13 PTS)
Assist: Parker (8 AST)5:19
[SAS 70-53]

Barry Jump Shot: Made (19 PTS)
Assist: Parker (9 AST) 8:30
[SAS 90-71]

Yeah, for sure Parker can't pass the ball to Barry...

(...)

Xap'

Slo spurs fan
11-07-2006, 05:32 AM
For sure, 1 game and one vision...

well i say, one another game and one another vision :

Barry Jump Shot: Made (5 PTS)
Assist: Parker (5 AST) 7:48
[SAS 39-24]

Barry Jump Shot: Made (8 PTS)
Assist: Parker (6 AST) 4:36
[SAS 48-27]

Barry Jump Shot: Made (13 PTS)
Assist: Parker (8 AST)5:19
[SAS 70-53]

Barry Jump Shot: Made (19 PTS)
Assist: Parker (9 AST) 8:30
[SAS 90-71]

Yeah, for sure Parker can't pass the ball to Barry...

(...)

Xap'
Maybe Tony was here on ST yesterday?

xapatan2
11-07-2006, 05:42 AM
Maybe Tony was here on ST yesterday?

:lol :lol :lol

It's funny, but i had as well this thought when i saw the stats this morning...

Well, I just wanted to point out the fact that, wether if we all now that Beno has better passing skills than Tony, many many things are depending from the coach decisions and the "at a precise time shooting ability" of the player who will receive the pass...

I just can't accept to read that when someone is on the floor, he will not receive the pass from this player or another...

But what a collective game yesterday, 25 dishes !

Xap

whottt
11-07-2006, 07:27 AM
When Tony was a rookie all he tried to do was pass...he can pass, that's just never been the emphasis for him on this team. When he came to this team we definitely needed scoring from our guards more than passing. Duncan can get guys open just by standing there...this team does not have the need for a true PG that most teams do.

I'd also like to point out that none of the Jordan Bulls teams or the Kobe Shaq Lakers had PGs with high assist totals. Thos teams had scorers as the primary distributors and the assist totals were similar to Tony's....5-6 per game.

The Rockets didn't either and neither did the Heat...The Pistons are the only team to win titles in the last 17 years or so with true PG distributing the ball.

That said...Tony does need to check those corners when he's penetrating into multiple defenders...it is something he doesn't look for enough now. Nice to see him doing it tonight.

duncan2k5
11-07-2006, 08:19 AM
i dont care about his assist totals...i just think that he dribbles the ball too much. that kills the offensive flow. i loved the old spurs offense that looked like a european team with the back cuts, flashy passing around the perimeter, and all that good stuff. now its all pick and roll with tony. tony is my boy, but our offense would be better with more movement. and if our offense is better, that allows us to get back on defense and play with more energy.