PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Nesterovic understands trade was just business

Kori Ellis
11-05-2006, 11:44 PM
Spurs notebook: Nesterovic understands trade was just business

Web Posted: 11/05/2006 10:02 PM CST

Johnny Ludden
Express-News Staff Writer

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA110606.06D.BKNspurs.notebook.2e68898.html

TORONTO — Rasho Nesterovic was "surprised and not surprised" when he received a call about a month after the season telling him he was being traded to Toronto.

Nesterovic spent three seasons with the Spurs, about 2 1/2 of which he served as the team's starting center. He was an effective defender, but barely got off the bench in last season's Western Conference semifinals against Dallas.

Needing to become more versatile and athletic to keep pace with the Mavericks and Phoenix Suns, the Spurs didn't think Nesterovic would play enough to justify the $23.5 million remaining on his contract. So they sent him to the Raptors for Matt Bonner and Eric Williams.

"I knew there were going to be some changes when we didn't win," Nesterovic said. "Maybe if we had gone to the Finals, it would have been different. But it's a job, it's a business."

Nesterovic likes where he is now. Toronto is a diverse city and the Raptors now have a deep international influence: Six of their players were born outside the United States.

"It's similar to (the Spurs)," he said.

Nesterovic said he's had to adjust to the Raptors' fast pace, but some around the team already consider him the franchise's best center since Kevin Willis left in 2001. Though Nesterovic starts, the rest of his minutes are usually determined by matchups.

Nesterovic hugged coach Gregg Popovich before the opening tip. After the Spurs arrived in town Saturday night, Nesterovic took Fabricio Oberto, Beno Udrih, Brent Barry and Manu Ginobili, his best friend on the team, to dinner.

Where's the subway? During his two seasons in Toronto, Matt Bonner was known as the "Red Rocket" because his primary source of transportation was the city's identically named subway.

After being traded to the Spurs, Bonner quickly realized San Antonio's VIA bus system wasn't going to be as efficient a way to get around town. So he broke down and purchased a car.

A white Pontiac Grand Prix. Which probably makes him the first NBA player to own a white Pontiac Grand Prix.

"I souped it up with some 12-inch rims," Bonner said. "Stock radio. Pretty cool."

Bonner purchased the car in his native New Hampshire to avoid paying sales tax. :lol

Like any savvy buyer, Bonner did some research before making his purchase.

"When it comes to a car, there's two things, to me, that equal satisfaction," Bonner said. "No. 1, leg room. The Grand Prix has the best legroom out of any car in the country.

"No. 2, gas mileage. I respect the environment and I get good gas mileage. That's good."

Heading to a different court: Tonight will be the second time in a little more than a month that Popovich has faced the New York Knicks. He flew to New York the day before the Spurs left for France to testify in the arbitration hearing between the Knicks and former coach Larry Brown, one of Popovich's best friends.

"It's a pain in the neck to have to do it, and you hate to see any coach go through what he's gone through," Popovich said. "It was just a big negative the whole summer. I'm glad it's all over with."

Out of pocket: Spurs assistant coach Brett Brown has the flu and didn't accompany the team on the trip. Rookie forward James White had a passport problem and also didn't make the trip. He'll rejoin the team in New York.

Briefly: Udrih was kicked in the left shin near the end of the Spurs' victory Sunday, but was walking better when he left the locker room :rolleyes . ... Raptors forward Chris Bosh has been playing on a sore left foot aggravated by a case of plantar fasciitis. The same injury slowed Duncan last season. "I wouldn't wish that on anybody," Duncan said.

King
11-05-2006, 11:48 PM
I'm expecting to see Beno Udrih go on the injured list with 'tummy ache' or 'eyelash in eye' at some point this season.

Notorious H.O.P.
11-05-2006, 11:58 PM
^^

New year, new slate. I know Beno hasn't shown us much in the past but we have to have faith he'll do something. If not, we are screwed since it makes the climb to the top all that much harder. I'd rather start the year with some optimism.

Phenomanul
11-05-2006, 11:59 PM
Being kicked in the shins stings for awhile... but the pain should subside...

spurtime
11-06-2006, 12:01 AM
I'm expecting to see Beno Udrih go on the injured list with 'tummy ache' or 'eyelash in eye' at some point this season.

l o l

BeerIsGood!
11-06-2006, 12:02 AM
The remedy for being kicked in the shin is an easy one - aspirin and ice. After that you just have to be tough.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-06-2006, 12:08 AM
The remedy for being kicked in the shin is an easy one - aspirin and ice. After that you just have to be tough.

Benoo shouldn't forget the...

http://www.77canadapharmacy.com/images/product/V/vagisil.jpg

TDMVPDPOY
11-06-2006, 12:16 AM
pics of what a pontiac grandprix looks like .......

THE SIXTH MAN
11-06-2006, 01:14 AM
Benoo shouldn't forget the...

http://www.77canadapharmacy.com/images/product/V/vagisil.jpg

:lmao :lmao :lmao :lmao Oh and I like the new sig. :lol

On a different note does anyone know when James White will suit up?

boutons_
11-06-2006, 06:30 AM
"when James White will suit up"

They've already suited him up but every time he jumps, he leaps out of his shorts.

Holt wouldn't pay for his passport fee just for the team's single foreign excursion to Toronto, so White, wearing suspendrs under his jersey to keep his shorts on, will be with the team in New York city. :)

angel_luv
11-06-2006, 06:33 AM
Thanks for the article Kori. :)

Obstructed_View
11-06-2006, 06:58 AM
I think the red rocket refers to the streetcars in downtown Toronto. The subways IIRC are not red. I know it's completely irrelevant, but it was bugging me. :)

Texas_Ranger
11-06-2006, 07:40 AM
Rasho >>>> Bonner . Red rocket can shot just for 3 point and nothing else. Rasho is way better in defense and under the rim that Bonner. For me that trade sucks. We could get a lot better player for Rasho.

angel_luv
11-06-2006, 07:44 AM
I'm just so excited Sho is getting to play again and for another good organization; in that respect, the trade was a good one.

Texas_Ranger
11-06-2006, 07:47 AM
The trade was good for Rasho, but I don`t think that it was very good for Spurs.

timvp
11-06-2006, 07:47 AM
Rasho >>>> Bonner . Red rocket can shot just for 3 point and nothing else. Rasho is way better in defense and under the rim that Bonner. For me that trade sucks. We could get a lot better player for Rasho.

The Spurs were lucky they got anyone to take that contract. That they got a player who could be useful down the line is just icing on the cake. This is the same Rasho who the Mavs turned down when all the Spurs wanted was Tariq Abdul-Wahad.

boutons_
11-06-2006, 07:48 AM
"Sho is getting to play again"

His MPG in Toronto so far this season is less than it was for Spurs last season.

angel_luv
11-06-2006, 07:55 AM
"Sho is getting to play again"

His MPG in Toronto so far this season is less than it was for Spurs last season.

Well his playing time, from what I am reading, is based a lot on match ups. Sho is going to have better luck with that in the East.

Texas_Ranger
11-06-2006, 07:58 AM
I`m just happy that we have Elson, who is playing like a good center, for now.

MI21
11-06-2006, 08:40 AM
I think Toronto have made a mistake with Rasho.

Apparently they want to be an uptempo, fastbreaking, Phoenix style team. Preferably you would like your Center to be able to rebound very well and outlet quickly to create quick breaks for the other players and then for him to be pretty quick and able to get up the floor as a trailer.

Rasho is certainly nothing like that :lol

Samr
11-06-2006, 09:16 AM
I think pop took advantage of the Raptors being so far away. Playing most of their games in Canada, and having their own problems to contend with, I doubt they got to see very much of Rasho at all.

So Pop just used some false advertising.

AlamoSpursFan
11-06-2006, 09:36 AM
You need a passport to go to Canada?

ggoose25
11-06-2006, 09:50 AM
"I souped it up with some 12-inch rims," Bonner said. "Stock radio. Pretty cool."

haha :cooldevil

angel_luv
11-06-2006, 10:05 AM
I think pop took advantage of the Raptors being so far away. Playing most of their games in Canada, and having their own problems to contend with, I doubt they got to see very much of Rasho at all.

So Pop just used some false advertising.

I am sure Bryan Colangelo did his research.

Bruno
11-06-2006, 11:09 AM
I think Toronto have made a mistake with Rasho.

Apparently they want to be an uptempo, fastbreaking, Phoenix style team. Preferably you would like your Center to be able to rebound very well and outlet quickly to create quick breaks for the other players and then for him to be pretty quick and able to get up the floor as a trailer.

Rasho is certainly nothing like that :lol

I think that Toronto's biggest mistake is to try to play uptempo. Their franchise player is Bosh, not Nash.
And the Rasho trade was a big steal, I still can't believe that a team has taken Rasho's contract without asking somethnig like a pick to sweaten his contract.

velik_m
11-06-2006, 12:30 PM
I think that Toronto's biggest mistake is to try to play uptempo. Their franchise player is Bosh, not Nash.
And the Rasho trade was a big steal, I still can't believe that a team has taken Rasho's contract without asking somethnig like a pick to sweaten his contract.

Well they did get rid of 2 useless players and got cash. Plus they're under the cap, so they don't care about his salary.

I also think they shouldn't play uptempo, but right now they have a deep and versatile team, so i think they can pull it off.

nkdlunch
11-06-2006, 12:37 PM
12" rims :lol

LilMissSPURfect
11-06-2006, 02:12 PM
http://www.johndagostinokustomkars.com/images/70%20Pontiac%20Grand%20Prix.jpg

phyzik
11-06-2006, 04:47 PM
Im thinking he didnt get a 1970 Grand Prix, he probably got the 2006...

http://www.edmunds.com/media/seo/500/2006.pontiac.grand.prix.jpg

Bruno
11-06-2006, 04:51 PM
Well they did get rid of 2 useless players and got cash. Plus they're under the cap, so they don't care about his salary.

It's a good deal for Toronto but I think that they could have get a better Rasho deal. They were likely the only team ready to take Rasho's contract and Spurs really wanted to trade him.
I can be wrong (I'm not a GM after all), but this is my feeling.

Mr. Body
11-06-2006, 04:55 PM
It does seem odd that Toronto threw in two 2nd rounders in the Nesterovic deal. It seems the Spurs would have been happy with the trade as it was (Rasho+cash for Bonner+Williams). The F.O. must have pretended to be unhappy with the amount of talent they got back. Good deal.

SenorSpur
11-06-2006, 05:12 PM
It does seem odd that Toronto threw in two 2nd rounders in the Nesterovic deal. It seems the Spurs would have been happy with the trade as it was (Rasho+cash for Bonner+Williams). The F.O. must have pretended to be unhappy with the amount of talent they got back. Good deal.

Absolute steal of a deal.

I wonder now if the Spurs will keep those picks or trade them. Seeing as how they're fiscally conscious I could see them packaging them up for something else.

The Truth #6
11-06-2006, 05:18 PM
I'm sure Rasho will like it in Toronto because they suck and there will be absolutely no pressure on him to do anything, which fits his style of play, that being passive, unathletic, and specializing in no arc line drive jumpers. But his position defense is great!

But I was intriqued to read that all his best friends on the team were white.

Mr. Body
11-06-2006, 05:18 PM
Well, if Chicago has a great season (top 9), we're looking at 3 second rounders next year, not to mention the late first rounder.

Even with one slated for some distant foreign prospect, there's no way we have 3 rookies on the team next year (+Butler, +maybe White). I'd have to think at least one or two of those gets punted in moves like the trade to Milwaukee last year (this year's pick for next year's pick). My guess is they'll try to package those picks to move up in the draft, though, maybe attaching Scola, into the late lottery, maybe trying for Corey Brewer or someone.

Anyway, I expect a higher profile rookie on the squad next year than we've had in a while.

SenorSpur
11-06-2006, 05:20 PM
I'm sure Rasho will like it in Toronto because they suck and there will be absolutely no pressure on him to do anything, which fits his style of play, that being passive, unathletic, and specializing in no arc line drive jumpers. But his position defense is great!

But I was intriqued to read that all his best friends on the team were white.

Trying to say that Rasho doesn't bond with the brothas? :fro

timvp
11-06-2006, 05:20 PM
The Raptors got ripped off in the Rasho deal hardcore. They took on a contract that nobody else in the league wanted plus gave up two expiring contract and a second round pick. The Spurs couldn't give Rasho away the last couple years.

If the Raptors would have just kept Bonner and Williams' expiring contracts, they would have been massively under the salary cap next summer and could have landed two max contract players.

Instead they have Rasho.

SenorSpur
11-06-2006, 05:22 PM
Well, if Chicago has a great season (top 9), we're looking at 3 second rounders next year, not to mention the late first rounder.

Even with one slated for some distant foreign prospect, there's no way we have 3 rookies on the team next year (+Butler, +maybe White). I'd have to think at least one or two of those gets punted in moves like the trade to Milwaukee last year (this year's pick for next year's pick). My guess is they'll try to package those picks to move up in the draft, though, maybe attaching Scola, into the late lottery, maybe trying for Corey Brewer or someone.

Anyway, I expect a higher profile rookie on the squad next year than we've had in a while.

That would be absolutely wonderful.

Slomo
11-06-2006, 05:25 PM

But I was intriqued to read that all his best friends on the team were white.You're an idiot!

Sorry let me rephrase that: You're an illiterate idiot!

Bruno
11-06-2006, 05:29 PM

Even with one slated for some distant foreign prospect, there's no way we have 3 rookies on the team next year (+Butler, +maybe White).

Spurs still need to do a trade to go under the luxury tax before the deadline, they will maybe lose a second round pick in a trade with a team under the cap like Williams + cash + 2nd round pick for nothing.

And Spurs should draft Yannick Bokolo with a late second round pick : this guy can become a solid backup PG.

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-06-2006, 07:38 PM
What? A Grand Prix??

Bad Ass.

Guru of Nothing
11-06-2006, 09:16 PM
Riding a VIA bus to the games would have made Bonner an instant legend.

Bummer.

freemeat
11-06-2006, 09:28 PM

While I agree that Rasho was probably the best player involved in the trade, I think it was well worth it. There's now a decent amount of open cap room for the next offseason.

miss paxton
11-06-2006, 10:41 PM
I don't understand how/why he considers a Grand Prix to get good gas mileage. Although leg room + good gas mileage is kind of a hard combination. I'm a little suspicious of his environmentalist qualifications, but he does have a good sense of humor--12" rims and the stock radio? Pretty sweet.

Mr. Body
11-06-2006, 10:56 PM
While I agree that Rasho was probably the best player involved in the trade, I think it was well worth it. There's now a decent amount of open cap room for the next offseason.

For who? We won't have cap room.

dave
11-06-2006, 11:06 PM
I think the red rocket refers to the streetcars in downtown Toronto. The subways IIRC are not red. I know it's completely irrelevant, but it was bugging me. :)
they use the "red rocket" for all TTC (toronto transit commission) services i think

Nero
11-07-2006, 12:10 AM
After the Spurs arrived in town Saturday night, Nesterovic took Fabricio Oberto, Beno Udrih, Brent Barry and Manu Ginobili, his best friend on the team, to dinner.

Blatantly racist!

CubanMustGo
11-07-2006, 12:19 AM
I don't understand how/why he considers a Grand Prix to get good gas mileage. Although leg room + good gas mileage is kind of a hard combination. I'm a little suspicious of his environmentalist qualifications, but he does have a good sense of humor--12" rims and the stock radio? Pretty sweet.

Leg room is OK (I'm 6'6") but head room isn't all that and mileage is 25-30 at best.

Civics get you more in all categories and they look GOOD in 12" rims. :lol

Notorious H.O.P.
11-07-2006, 01:08 AM

If the Spurs don't unload some picks + a player to lessen their luxury tax hit, I see them really reaching on some very obscure players in hopes that one of them will pan out. The secret has been out for a while and it is getting harder and harder for teams to pick up that overseas diamond-in-the-rough type of player. It almost seems that teams do more research on foreign players than they do US players.

By doing this, the Spurs don't have to pick up any fringe players that may never make it and can concentrate on now (winning championships). If one of them works out, great, if not, it's the same as burning the picks now on borderline talent that doesn't make it out of training camp.

Of course, they will probably trade their first rounder (guaranteed salary) but if one of their second rounders is just outside the first round, they may get lucky and catch a potential 15-20 pick that free falls to them (seems to happen at least once every draft). We can hope.