PDA

View Full Version : Yuta Tabuse

Brodels
11-02-2004, 11:15 AM
This might belong in the NBA forum. It's kind of interesting. It's never easy for 5'9'' players to make it, but it will interesting to track his progress.

---------------------------

NBA: Rising Sun Tabuse Creates Japanese First

Tue Nov 2, 4:18 AM ET

By Alastair Himmer

TOKYO (Reuters) - Yuta Tabuse (news) has become the first Japanese player to make a team roster in the NBA after signing for the Phoenix Suns (news).

Tabuse, who models himself on Hall of Famer Earvin "Magic" Johnson, was told by Suns coach Mike D'Antoni on Monday that he had made the cut as Phoenix's third point guard.

"To be honest, it still hasn't sunk in," Tabuse was quoted as saying in Tuesday's Nikkan Sports daily.

"I only half believe it right now. It's always been a dream to play in the NBA."

The 5-foot-9 Tabuse will be one of 12 players suiting up for the Suns in their season opener at home to the Atlanta Hawks (news) on Wednesday.

"Everyone is big and fast in the NBA," Tabuse said. "But I think the most important thing is your heart. It's a challenge I look forward to."

The 24-year-old is unlikely to see many minutes playing behind All-Star Steve Nash (news) and Leandro Barbosa (news) at point guard but that did not dampen Tabuse's delight.

"Being the first Japanese player in the NBA is amazing," he said. "But I don't want to settle for that. The hard work starts now."

Tabuse, known for his speed and flashy no-look passes, took part in Denver Nuggets (news)'s pre-season training camp last year but was cut before the start of the regular season.

He played instead for the Long Beach Jam of the American Basketball Association (ABA).

D'Antoni insisted the decision to sign Tabuse was not made for the purpose of breaking into the lucrative Japanese market.

"As a coach it doesn't help me win (and) we're trying to win basketball games," said D'Antoni. "The guy's working his rear off and he deserves it."

Yokohama-born Tabuse was the top high school player of his generation. He played for Brigham Young University Hawaii from 2000 to 2002.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=577&e=3&u=/nm/20041102/sp_nm/nba_japanese_dc

RobinsontoDuncan
11-02-2004, 11:38 AM
lets see how he worksout, i would like to see him in a few highlight reals this year

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-02-2004, 03:56 PM
What's screwed is his cards are going for like $200 on eBay.

Sec24Row7
11-02-2004, 04:22 PM
Great another overrated Asian player that the league will cater to.

Lets have big huge events like Shaq-Yao on TNT and talk about them 3 or 4 weeks out.

What do you think? Yuta-Kidd Kidd-Yuta?

I like the sound of that! :drunk

Rick Von Braun
11-02-2004, 06:06 PM
For a 3rd string PG, 12th man, hardly seeing any minutes player, I would say the Suns made an increadible marketing move.

Next season, the Suns play the pre-season opener in Tokio.