PDA

View Full Version : Grade the Spurs offseason NOW

Darkwaters
11-06-2006, 03:00 PM
All summer I saw a lot of griping over the apparent inactivity of the Spurs. They traded away a former starting center for two marginal bench players and then lost Mohammed to Detroit with no compensation. The draft resulted in a decent foreign prospect who was traded away within 20 minutes. Other names like Rich Melzer and Jacque Vaughn were brought in but offered no consolation.

Now, however, it seems that the Francisco Elson signing was a very good decision. Elson might be that extra piece that the team needed to get that extra point that kept them out the of Western Conference Finals. James White fills the need of a young athletic swingman that can hopefully suceed Bowen in coming years. And the Spurs still have the prospect of Jackie Butler as well as an extra 2nd round pick in what is supposed to be a very deep upcoming draft. Plus, Erik Williams might be trade bait for some team near the deadline.

So, how do you grade their moves NOW?

Mr. Body
11-06-2006, 03:09 PM
Financial flexibility for the future again ruled the roost, but it lead to some smart basketball decisions. Francisco Elson has proven a lot of people here (including me) wrong. He looks like a competent pick-up. He'll have off-games, sure, but I think we'd all have been happier to have him last year over Mohammed.

Jackie Butler may pay-off down the road. I'd like to see him this year some, maybe later, but he's on the Stephen Jackson track. Maybe next year. This year? Great. But definitely next year.

E. Williams and M. Bonner were salary dumps, plain and simple. I don't expect either to see much time and if they see time at all, they'll suck. Maybe one or both gets traded at the deadline.

Jacques Vaughn was a great pick-up. Have liked him for a long time. Have confidence in him if he needs to spell the point.

The summer was frustrating because little to nothing was done to assuage our aging bench. We have some massive holes to cover in the future; Barry, Finley, Horry and Oberto may be fine for the rest of the year, but a lot of work needs to be done to fix the gaps, not to mention finding a Bowen replacement of any kind. Why not start this summer? Alas, not much could be done with no real draft pick and assets no one wanted.

Then we pick up James White. Like magic. I harbor no illusions he'll ever get much time - hell, I don't even know if he'll make it past January, much less see the floor - but it was a great grab. He's a tonic to nothing, but is an effort to get youth and athleticism on the bench. Maybe he comes on next year, along with Butler. But with him there, things look a little better.

All in all, it was worse than I hoped, but things look pretty good. We'll have games where we look pretty stinky, but I don't think they could have done anything this offseason to offset that. If there's a 50% chance Butler turns out to be a player and a 5-10% chance for White, those are good risks to take. Next summer proves to be even bigger - potentially 4 draft picks, some foreign assets to consider, as well as expiring contracts. Some good things can happen, while staying competitive.

Francisco Elson: very good
Jackie Butler: excellent
Eric Williams: salary dump
Matt Bonner: salary dump
James White: very good
Jacques Vaughn: good

bdictjames
11-06-2006, 03:13 PM
I'd rate it a 10. Another good job done by the Spurs organization. Eric Williams would be a bust though and Bonner would be playing a little more minutes. Im still glad we could small ball now and keep up

sanman53
11-06-2006, 03:40 PM
I think if we stay healthy, we are the fastest big team:

TP, Manu, Bowen, Timmy, Elson

I was curious how Elson was going to look when we first signed him, but I like his speed and after the first few games I watched on ESPN and TNT, he looks like he really wants to be out there on the court.

SenorSpur
11-06-2006, 04:03 PM
I think if we stay healthy, we are the fastest big team:

TP, Manu, Bowen, Timmy, Elson

I was curious how Elson was going to look when we first signed him, but I like his speed and after the first few games I watched on ESPN and TNT, he looks like he really wants to be out there on the court.

....and Elson seems to play with a tinge of "controlled aggression" - I like that.

As far as grading the offseason, I think it's a bit too early to tell after only 3 games. I would prefer to wait until midseason.

Mr. Body
11-06-2006, 04:06 PM
....and Elson seems to play with a tinge of "controlled aggression" - I like that.

This is what I've meant by him having an "enforcer" personality. Not that he's dirty or looks to lay guys flat, but he likes contact and will play physically, not to mention will give the hard foul when he needs to.

SenorSpur
11-06-2006, 04:33 PM
This is what I've meant by him having an "enforcer" personality. Not that he's dirty or looks to lay guys flat, but he likes contact and will play physically, not to mention will give the hard foul when he needs to.

Furthermore, I don't give a damn how many techs he gets for taunting or how many times he gets warned for hanging on the rim - KEEP THROWIN' DOWN THOSE DUNKS ON THE NOGGIN'S OF THE OPPOSITION.

Everyone knew he was athletic, but his attitude, defense and aggressiveness are all unexpected bonuses and certainly something we've not seen at the position in some time - certainly not in the last 2-3 years.

I seem to recall a Sunday afternoon game last season (Spurs vs. Nuggets) in S.A. where Elson had a very decent game in which he repeatedly beat our bigs down the floor for easy baskets and easily reached double digits in points. Nuggets won the game in an upset. I'm sure that's when the FO took notice. Many folks here seem to remember that game too.

For him, I'll bet he's as happy as a "pig in shit" to have been given this opportunity for extended minutes and to become a vital cog in the rotation of a championship-caliber team. He was simply rotting on the bench in Denver.

As you earlier stated Mr, Body, no one (myself included - I freely admit it) could have ever predicted that he would be this productive - especially this soon. In fact, I was worried that he was a 7 ft bust.

I now admit that I am a happy and dedicated parishioner of the newly established "Church of Elson" and am looking forward to watching him play and contribute heavily to the Spurs championship drive this season.

Joepa
11-06-2006, 04:39 PM
I look forward to seeing more of Jackie Butler, but realistically I believe that this offseason was about a 7.

Bruno
11-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Too soon to say, I will wait the trade deadline to judge Spurs offseason.
My main concern now is the lack of a strong/long SF.

KinksterforGov
11-06-2006, 04:44 PM
Based on Elson's performance alone, they get high marks. He already knows how to dunk (unlike Rasho), and go straight up with the ball without the fifteen pump fakes and pivots that result in dribbling the ball off his shoe (unlike Nazr).

SenorSpur
11-06-2006, 04:50 PM
Based on Elson's performance alone, they get high marks. He already knows how to dunk (unlike Rasho), and go straight up with the ball without the fifteen pump fakes and pivots that result in dribbling the ball off his shoe (unlike Nazr).

Amen! Such a relief to see.

Also he's apparently got "soft" hands. Did you all see that pass that Barry, while dribbling just outside the key, rifled to Elson while he was standing wide open underneath the basket? He caught it, leaped and flushed it with two hands. I immediately thought to myself - "there's no way that either Rasho and especially Nazr make that catch and conversion".

Such a pleasure to see.

timvp
11-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Too early to tell. So far, Elson looks good. Vaughn has picked up the system extremely fast and is a good third string PG.

The others haven't shown much. Butler is going to ride the pine for most of the year (if not the whole year). Bonner is playing just like every other shooter who has never played defense before he got the Spurs has played in the Tim Duncan era. We'll have to give him until the All-Star break before we see if he's more than a salary dump. Eric Williams looks like he's just cashing his pay checks. If you count James White, he's another guy who will join Butler in practice as they build Spur-like work ethics.

So far, it looks like the Spurs have gotten pretty damn lucky once again. They wanted Joel Przybilla, who would have costed Elson and Butler. Przybilla is pretty good, but he'd be just as useless against the Mavs as Rasho and Nazr were. The Spurs then wanted Zo or trade for Magloire. Neither one of those happened and so far, it's looking like another example of the Spurs missing out on their main targets and that being the best thing that could happen.

Elson and Butler were options like E and F but they are making the Spurs look smart.

Better to be lucky than good.

:smokin

polandprzem
11-06-2006, 05:39 PM
timvp - when you will force yourself to write a Toronto grades?

timvp
11-06-2006, 05:41 PM
timvp - when you will force yourself to write a Toronto grades?

Do they have psychics in Poland? If not, you should apply.

:hat

polandprzem
11-06-2006, 05:45 PM
Do they have psychics in Poland? If not, you should apply.

:hat

Why? Explain it to me Mr. profesor :santahat

regio
11-06-2006, 06:20 PM
:lol I got a really funny mental picture

Ed Helicopter Jones
11-06-2006, 07:35 PM
I'd rate it as an excellent off season primarily for the fact that Pop pulled the Elson pickup out of his azz, and it appears that it might pay huge dividends.

I like the James White pickup a lot as well. If he and Butler can be groomed to be the Spurs next generation 3 and 5 spot players it might continue the Spurs dominance into the next decade.

It would be amazing if the Spurs 'horrible' offseason results in them not only signing a guy capable of allowing the Spurs to play their twin tower defense, but also resulted in signing two guys in White and Butler who could possibly help the Spurs keep winning for the next ten years.

SpursIndonesia
11-07-2006, 04:29 AM
I've always have a hunch that Elson's game -in the right situation & scenario- would be like Keon Clarks's one, without the offcourt problem to boot. I certainly happy that he doesn't dissapoint me so far.

And 7 would be a fair grade overall.

wildbill2u
11-07-2006, 01:18 PM
All summer I saw a lot of griping over the apparent inactivity of the Spurs. ...So, how do you grade their moves NOW?
I think there were some teams that did better in the sense that they were able to bring in a starter--a la Houston with Battier--or biggern 'name' players--a la Jalen Rose to Phoenix.

But given what we had to trade with, and the salary structure and the standpat situation with most of our starters, I'd say we did damn good.

Maybe not an "A" but a "B+"

carina_gino20
11-07-2006, 11:27 PM
CIA Pop :stirpot

i haven't seen bonner and williams play yet. i really liked the elson acquisition. i wasn't impressed during the offseason, but seeing him play with so much enthusiasm is really refreshing.

i also hope butler really fulfills that 'potential' that pop sees.