PDA

View Full Version : Election day Blog

Pages : [1] 2

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Please keep this as a running blog of all the news and discussino of the day, whatever that may be.

Go America!

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
11-07-2006, 08:05 AM
I just voted and the people running the place said there were more people in the first half hour than they had the entire day in the last election. Progress?

Opinionater
11-07-2006, 08:16 AM
IMHO, this election is anybody's call and I call the democrats win the House but miss taking the Senate.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:17 AM
Progress or anger? Perhaps a bit of both. Turnout will be up, but it still won't crack 40% which is kinda sad.

My predictions for the day: 230 House seats for the Democrats. In the Senate, I think it will be 51-49 for the Democrats. Tennessee goes to the Republicans, but they sweep Virginia, Montana, and Missouri while holding onto NJ and Maryland. I don't believe they will be in play in Arizona regardless of how much they want to dream.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:18 AM
I'm excited, I love election day every time it comes around.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:19 AM
Some links for you guys to use if you need them:

Texas Election info including results later tonight:
http://www.sos.state.tx.us/elections/index.shtml

Great site for monitoring nationwide election news:
http://www.electoral-vote.com:2006/

Opinionater
11-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Progress or anger? Perhaps a bit of both. Turnout will be up, but it still won't crack 40% which is kinda sad.

My predictions for the day: 230 House seats for the Democrats. In the Senate, I think it will be 51-49 for the Democrats. Tennessee goes to the Republicans, but they sweep Virginia, Montana, and Missouri while holding onto NJ and Maryland. I don't believe they will be in play in Arizona regardless of how much they want to dream.

IMHO, it will rain cats and dogs today.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:21 AM
:lol

turambar85
11-07-2006, 08:38 AM
I'm calling it now, Tennessee goes to Harold Ford by slightly under 1 percentage point.

I have never seen more conservatives disenchanted with a candidate than I do now with Corker. The tough guys view him as weak for sitting back with lame pot-shots, and the other conservatives hate him for the rumors of using illegal immigrants. He is just not well supported here.

Ocotillo
11-07-2006, 08:43 AM

Missouri is such a coin toss. They are even in the polls (within the margin of error) and Republicans seem to have a better ground game in the state. If McCaskill wins, it will be an upset and the Dems may end up winning the Senate.

j-6
11-07-2006, 08:51 AM
In my very unofficial polling over the last week, I haven't run into one single person out of perhaps eighty to ninety that's voting for Strayhorn. I drive eighty or so miles a day and see plenty of Kinky, Bell, and Perry bumper stickers every time I'm on the road. I saw my first Grandma one at the pharmacy yesterday.

It's pretty obvious who my horse in this race is - I just can't believe that the polls list her either ahead of or neck and neck with Kinky.

Oh yeah, I love election day too. I always think of March Madness when trying to compare the entertainment value of it to some other event.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:54 AM
I'm calling it now, Tennessee goes to Harold Ford by slightly under 1 percentage point.

I have never seen more conservatives disenchanted with a candidate than I do now with Corker. The tough guys view him as weak for sitting back with lame pot-shots, and the other conservatives hate him for the rumors of using illegal immigrants. He is just not well supported here.There are some rumors that perhaps 40% of the people voted via absentee and early voting before Ford started taking a drop in the polls. If thats the case, then perhaps he can pull it off or at least make it closer than where it is polling right now, but I don't think so.

turambar85
11-07-2006, 08:58 AM
There are some rumors that perhaps 40% of the people voted via absentee and early voting before Ford started taking a drop in the polls. If thats the case, then perhaps he can pull it off or at least make it closer than where it is polling right now, but I don't think so.

Ehh...Bob Corker sounds like the alien from "American Dad"

Ocotillo
11-07-2006, 09:00 AM

I have never seen more conservatives disenchanted with a candidate than I do now with Corker. The tough guys view him as weak for sitting back with lame pot-shots, and the other conservatives hate him for the rumors of using illegal immigrants. He is just not well supported here.

Those same people who are disenchanted with Corker, you think they will pull the lever for Ford? I don't think so. Do they abstain? I don't think they will do that either. I suspect they will hold their nose and vote their traditional party.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:02 AM
MSNBC already mentioned possible voter intimidation in Virginia.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-07-2006, 09:11 AM
Diebold!!!! [/boutons, Dan]

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:14 AM
Here is a site similar to the one I listed above with the difference that this one is run by a Republican.

http://www.electionprojection.com/

Interestingly enough, he has the Senate going 51-49 in favor of the Democrats. he really lists it as 49-49-2, but the 2 independents are actual Democrats (debatable in Liberman's case I guess).

xrayzebra
11-07-2006, 09:25 AM
My prediction. If the dimm-o-craps don't win they will challenge every vote in
every district. Will claim it was stolen, voters were turned away and any other
excuse they can come up with. Ground work has already been laid and media
has run with it.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 10:04 AM
State officials in Virginia along with the FBI are investigating dozens of documented phone calls into heavily Democratic districts where people are being discouraged to go to the polls.

NOTHING is going to fly under the radar this time around considering how many people are out there watching over this thing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15603344/

101A
11-07-2006, 10:35 AM
State officials in Virginia along with the FBI are investigating dozens of documented phone calls into heavily Democratic districts where people are being discouraged to go to the polls.

NOTHING is going to fly under the radar this time around considering how many people are out there watching over this thing.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15603344/

What the hell are they saying to "intimidate voters"?

"Vote and we'll kill your dog"??!!!

Sounds more like a Democratic GOTV to me: "See how EVIL the Republicans are!!!"

SA210
11-07-2006, 10:45 AM
Today is a great day.

Crookshanks
11-07-2006, 10:46 AM
I think this is going to be a loooong night - I don't anticipate getting much sleep. Unless things break pretty substantially for either party - I'll be up watching to see what direction the country is going to take.

ToughActinTinactin
11-07-2006, 11:10 AM
The republicans are going to pull every trick in their book to win this election. Trust me.

101A
11-07-2006, 11:13 AM
The republicans are going to pull every trick in their book to win this election. Trust me.

HEEEELLLLL YEAAAHHH!!!

I' gotsa truck load u crosses & a big ole gas can...headn to the flats!!!

Crookshanks
11-07-2006, 11:13 AM
The democRATS are going to pull every trick in their book to win this election. Trust me.

There, fixed it to reflect reality!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 11:27 AM
In my very unofficial polling over the last week, I haven't run into one single person out of perhaps eighty to ninety that's voting for Strayhorn. I drive eighty or so miles a day and see plenty of Kinky, Bell, and Perry bumper stickers every time I'm on the road. I saw my first Grandma one at the pharmacy yesterday.

It's pretty obvious who my horse in this race is - I just can't believe that the polls list her either ahead of or neck and neck with Kinky.

Oh yeah, I love election day too. I always think of March Madness when trying to compare the entertainment value of it to some other event.

In my travels, it's been Perry and Kinky, with Bell rounding it out behind and Grandma nearly non-existent.

My whole thing with the polls has been me being hopeful that the efforts to bring unlikely voters to the ballots have worked and will change things up for the better with more people involved.

If the voting numbers are greatly higher, but my chosen candidate doesn't win (it's the same as j-6's), then so be it - the efforts worked to bring people to the polls.

Damn plurality.

Anyway...Kinky or Bell and I'll be good.

ToughActinTinactin
11-07-2006, 11:28 AM
The republicraps have fixed it to reflect reality!

There you go.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 11:35 AM
Are there any reports of early voting numbers in Texas?

KinkyFriedman
11-07-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm looking forward to a great turn out by my fellow Texans to kick Perry's ass out of Austin.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 11:45 AM
Wow....Lieberman up by 12 percentage points in latest polls.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 11:46 AM
MSNBC says CT is predicting 65 percent turnout (Wow!) of 1.9M registered voters.

j-6
11-07-2006, 11:48 AM
If this is a totally naive question, someone please let me know.

With all the election machine problems that seem to come out on election day, why doesn't everyone use a good ol' desktop Windows-based PC with a 'qwerty' keyboard, a mouse, and some standardized election software as their voting weapon of choice?

Instead, we have octogenarian election volunteers trying to explain this rotary dial gizmo to people who see this device only on their chosen voting day. Why not use a device that Americans are familiar with?

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 11:49 AM
If this is a totally naive question, someone please let me know.

With all the election machine problems that seem to come out on election day, why doesn't everyone use a good ol' desktop Windows-based PC with a 'qwerty' keyboard and some standardized election software as their voting weapon of choice?

Instead, we have octogenarian election volunteers trying to explain this rotary dial gizmo to people who see this device only on their chosen voting day. Why not use a device that Americans are familiar with?

AFter reading the stories of polling malfunctions, I can honestly say that we have to be the dumbest group of human beings ever gathered under one single flag.

boutons_
11-07-2006, 11:55 AM
the Repug dirty trix are at tsunami levels:

November 7, 2006

Repeat Calls Spur a Debate Over Tactics

By CHRISTOPHER DREW and CARL HULSE

Karyn Hollis, an English professor at Villanova University outside Philadelphia, said the same computerized calls had been ringing her telephone as often as five times a day for more than a week.

They all start with a simple, if somewhat ambiguous, statement: “Hello, I’m calling with information about Lois Murphy,” a Pennsylvania Democrat who is the challenger in one of the hottest House races. That opening sounds “kind of positive in tone,” Ms. Hollis said. But the message quickly turns negative, blasting Ms. Murphy’s political views. After she hangs up, the phone rings again later with the same message. And again. And again.

The calls are part of a telephone blitz that the Republican Party has unleashed in several dozen races that are likely to determine control of the House in Tuesday’s elections. And the repeat calls to the same homes have set off a new furor over campaign tactics, with the Democrats claiming the calls violate federal communications rules and are tantamount to harassment.

Ms. Murphy and other Democrats say they have been flooded with complaints from irritated voters who think that the calls are coming from the candidates themselves. Many of the voters had hung up before the message was over, and never heard that it was produced by the Republican Party.

Democratic leaders contend that the messages violate federal rules that require groups making automated calls to identify themselves at the outset. And the National Republican Congressional Committee, which has financed the calls, agreed on Sunday to quit making some of them in New Hampshire, where a state law limits who can receive computerized phone messages.

Ed Patru, a committee spokesman, said the phone campaign complied with federal law and was “drawing contrasts” between the candidates. “There’s no statutory requirement that our phone calls be complimentary to Democrats,” Mr. Patru added.

Federal filings indicate that the committee has spent about $2 million on phone calls in the last week.

But Democratic officials say they fear the saturation calling is just a tactic to irritate voters and discourage them from going to the polls.

“Make no mistake about it,” said Representative Rahm Emanuel, an Illinois Democrat who is leading his party’s effort to retake the House. “This is a dirty trick, one they have pulled before, one they have gotten caught on, and they are still doing it.”

Mr. Emanuel was referring to past fights over last-minute phone campaigns, particularly in New Hampshire, where three Republican officials were convicted of campaign violations stemming from an effort in 2002 to jam phone lines used by the Democratic Party to get out the vote.

Complaints about the recent Republican calls first surfaced about a week ago in a smattering of states. Rozanne Ronen, who lives in a Chicago suburb, said she had gotten more than 20 of the calls, all relating to the same House race. “To me, it’s just harassment,” she said.

New York Democratic Party officials complained Monday that the calls also had been made on Sunday and Monday to voters in four hotly contested House districts.

The Democrats say that a few calls have been made in the early morning or middle of night, and that some voters received several calls minutes apart. Republican officials said that would have happened only if there was a computer glitch.

Others, like Ms. Hollis, the Villanova professor, say they have filed complaints with the Federal Communications Commission. Its rules on automated calls require that callers state their identity at the beginning of the message. These calls end with a disclaimer that they were paid for by the Republican committee; no identification is made at the start of the message.

Political messages are exempt from the federal do-not-call rules meant to discourage unwanted sales pitches. But a New Hampshire law prohibits making automated calls to people who are on the do-not-call list. The Republican committee agreed on Sunday to halt calls there at the urging of the state attorney general.

David Kaplan, a registered Republican in Connecticut who has received more than two dozen of the calls, said he was so annoyed that the Republicans might “have shot themselves in the leg” in terms of winning his vote.

==================

Repug-nant motherfuckers, every last one of you.

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 11:58 AM
The above article and the content of the above article is dumb.

clambake
11-07-2006, 12:00 PM
If anybody knows dumb, it would be js. Don't argue with expertise.

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 12:01 PM
If anybody knows dumb, it would be js. Don't argue with expertise.

Yes, I recognize it in damn near everyone of your posts.

IceColdBrewski
11-07-2006, 12:06 PM
My prediction. If the dimm-o-craps don't win they will challenge every vote in every district. Will claim it was stolen, voters were turned away and any other excuse they can come up with. Ground work has already been laid and media
has run with it.

You should've heard some of the whacky Dem voters this morning on Air America. One guy called up to report how suspicious it was that the registration table (that is in the same spot every year) had been moved from one side of the room to the other. I shit you not.

The fix is in people. The Republicans are moving the registration tables to a different part of the room. :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 12:09 PM
Alright, I'm getting ready to go vote.

I hope I don't have any problems with the electronic voting machines, like it not working, changing my vote or becoming self-aware and asking me to kill Sarah Connor.

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 12:10 PM
You should've heard some of the whacky Dem voters this morning on Air America. One guy called up to report how suspicious it was that the registration table (that is in the same spot every year) had been moved from one side of the room to the other. I shit you not.

The fix is in people. The Republicans are moving the registration tables to a different part of the room. :lol

Man, with the Republicans moving tables plus the government planning another terrorist attack on American soil, this country sure is backwards........isn't that right Dan?

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 12:10 PM
Alright, I'm getting ready to go vote.

I hope I don't have any problems with the electronic voting machines, like it not working, changing my vote or becoming self-aware and asking me to kill Sarah Connor.

:lol :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 12:13 PM
This democratic incumbent senator for Michigan is not doing so well in this interview.

Stabenow on MSNBC, BTW.

clambake
11-07-2006, 12:41 PM
"The above article and the content of the above article".

That's brilliant!

Move over Einstein.

JoeChalupa
11-07-2006, 12:42 PM
I guarantee there will be elections that will not be settled today.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 12:56 PM
Just got back from voting and here was my experience.

Nothing shady!

I walked (like I do on Election Day) to NW Crossing Elementary and had one campaign worker sitting in the shade with three others thank me for voting, so I went and had all four talk to me about their candidates and why they were voting for them and why I should [most of my decisions were made already, but after asking some pointed questions about one of the races for County Court (a race in which I wasn't going to vote on since I didn't know much about the candidates), I was convinced to vote by talking with one of the campaigners who showed me some articles about her candidate that talked about what we talked about].

Spoke with all four for about 5-10 minutes, then walked inside. There were about 15 names on the list of people who didn't have their voter cards (of which I couldn't find mine either), and the poll workers said that voter traffic had been brisk and a little less than the Presidential Election, but more than previous mid-terms.

I flirted with the hot poll worker for a minute or so - and yes, she was hot and about 25 years old.

Same machine as I had voted on in the past, no problems with changing votes or the like.

RickPerry
11-07-2006, 01:23 PM
I'd just like thank everyone for their support and I know in the end you'll come to appreciate the toll roads.

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 01:34 PM
"The above article and the content of the above article".

That's brilliant!

Move over Einstein.

Good one :rolleyes

clambake
11-07-2006, 01:38 PM
You had that one coming. No hard feelings. All in good fun.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 01:40 PM
I keep seeing MSNBC showing Texas as having voting problems, but I can't find any issues.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
El Pasoans vote; 1 glitch reported so far (9:21 a.m.)
By Jake Rollow / El Paso Times
El Paso Times
Article Launched:11/07/2006 09:29:36 AM MST
The steady stream of voters moving smoothly through El Paso s polls this morning had officials predicting a strong turnout for the midterm election.

Although they weren t able to cast ballots until the poll opened at 7 a.m., voters had lined up at the Miner Village poll at 2900 N. Mesa while election administrators were still setting up, said election judge Sylvia Provencio.

Provencio, who has been working elections for more than 30 years, said she had the feeling we're going to have a lot of voters. She said the process had been going smoothly this morning, although one voter had complained that the County s Election Web site had given him the wrong address for the poll.

The Web site told residents that precinct 30 voters should cast their ballots at the Mesa Village Shopping Center, rather than Miner Village. Election Office administrative assistant Irene Sanchez said the office was aware of the problem and that it would be fixed soon. She said the problem was limited to Precinct 30.

Despite the glitch, high voter turnout was expected countywide, following a busy early voting session that ended last week. Nearly 38,000 ballots were cast during the early voting period, according to county elections officials.

Blanca Orona said voting had been smooth during its first hour this morning at Scotsdale Elementary at 2901 Mc Rae.

"The (voting) machines are working fine," she said. "We re reminding people to check their total ballots."

Orona said turnout was good, too.

"It has been busy," she said. "It's about the same for a general election."

Heading out the door of Scotsdale after casting her ballot this morning, Karmel Mordecai said she expected there would be a high turnout for this election because of the controversial issues at stake.

"We ve got an education system that is failing," she said. "These are the kind of issues I worry about."

And Mordecai may not be alone.

Steady voting was reported by election judge Zoe Nelson at Edgemere Elementary, 10300 Edgemere, this morning as well.

Nelson said there had been no problems and that she expected a heavier turnout than in years past.

"It s going great," she said.

At Loma Terrace Elementary School, State Senate Candidate Dee Margo and his wife Adair were seen shaking hands and talking with supporters. Margo, a Republican, has waged an aggressive campaign to unseat his Democratic rival Sen. Eliot Shapleigh.

http://elpasotimes.com/breakingnews/ci_4616749

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 01:46 PM
You had that one coming. No hard feelings. All in good fun.

Yeah, but nearly an hour after I originally posted it? Did it take you that long to come up with it?

clambake
11-07-2006, 02:02 PM
You can tell time? Maybe all is not lost.

Don't blame me for post# 35.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-07-2006, 02:04 PM

Right, the Demos will be playing fair but the Repubs will do anything :rolleyes

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-07-2006, 02:06 PM
I really don't care what happens today as long as Perry doesn't win.

Crookshanks
11-07-2006, 02:11 PM

I think you're going to be sorely disappointed. :depressed

101A
11-07-2006, 02:33 PM
I WAS OPPRESSED!!!

AND

the Victim of Voter Intimidation!!

It is the first time for me to vote in Pennsylvania, and I saunter in with my '05 Championship Polo, AND boots - obviously a proud Texan displaced. I was eyed warily, suspiciously, if you will.

My wife and I showed the yank.., err, poll volunteer our Pennsylvania Certificates of Voter Registration, and she locates our name in her book. WE are listed, properly registered.

SHE THEN ASKS TO SEE PHOTO ID!!!

I quote from my Pennsylvania Certificates of Voter Registration:

Under the law you must present a form of identification to the election officials on Election Day the first time you vote in a new election district, division or precinct. This card is an acceptable form of identification.

As I stated, I had ALREADY presented my Voter ID card, and yet this blue haired, objoxious INTIMIDATING Yankee Bitch was trying repress me!

It was very fotunate that I, BARELY being able to prevent being DISENFRANCHISED, was able to present my driver's license! In an amazingly crazy coincidence, MY WIFE actually had HER driver's license ALSO! We actually got to vote - no doubt to the chagrin of the thugs manning the polls.

I am sure other voters in my precinct, district and state will not be so fortunate, as to actually have an acceptable form of photo-ID available for the charlatans running the liberal electoral machine that is Pennsylvania politics.

Therefore, if Rick Santorum loses in his bid to remain a Senator from the Commonwealth, I can only assume it has happened fraudulently, and at the expense of true democracy. This is truly a black day in our Nation's history.

clambake
11-07-2006, 02:43 PM
Santorum is republican. If it were a liberal electoral machine, how would he have ever made office?

ChumpDumper
11-07-2006, 02:44 PM
objoxious?

101A
11-07-2006, 02:51 PM
objoxious?

I was too distraught to run the spell checker.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 02:53 PM
I was too distraught to run the spell checker.

:lmao

ChumpDumper
11-07-2006, 03:03 PM
Funny though, Pennsylvania apparently had the largest number of voter complaints and extended their polling hours.

xrayzebra
11-07-2006, 03:07 PM
Here you go, all the headlines in the drudgereport about voting today. The
world is coming to an end.

Voting Machines Woes Cause Early Delays...
Poll Workers Struggle With Touchscreen Tech...
*PA Problems...
**UPDATE: Polls ordered to stay open late in Indiana...
***Denver: Problems...
****Fixing charges fly in Utah town...
*****Ky. Poll Worker Charged With 'Choking Voter'...
******Hundreds Get Wrong Ballots In Central Florida...
*******FBI Investigating Va. Voter Calls...
********Dem lawyers in TN going to court to keep polls open late...
*********FEDS SEND 850 OBSERVERS TO 22 STATES...
GOP Control of Congress Hangs in Balance...
NYT: For Dems, Even a Gain May Feel Like a Failure...
Eastern States Seen As Election Key...
GOP: BEWARE OF EXIT POLLS...
PAPER: Election Outcome Expected To Be Known Early...

I especially like the one about worker chokes voter.......you gotta love the
America system. I know the lawyers do.

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 03:08 PM
You can tell time? Maybe all is not lost.

Don't blame me for post# 35.

You can avoid the subject?

Don't blame me for taking an hour to come up with a shitty comeback.

Dimm-O-Crap
11-07-2006, 03:16 PM
Remember fellas,

VOTE DIMM-O-CRAP!

:donkey :donkey :donkey :donkey :donkey :donkey :donkey

Mr. Peabody
11-07-2006, 03:26 PM
Santorum is republican. If it were a liberal electoral machine, how would he have ever made office?

Don't ever let the facts get in the way of satire!

j-6
11-07-2006, 03:44 PM
I still want to know why we Americans need to use these uber-complicated voting machines that cost $3400-5000 a piece, and nobody knows how to use, when a complete standard desktop PC is a tenth of that. Not to mention that there's a PC assigning PIN's and gathering the info off these stupid things at each voter site in the first place.

Can we blame one single party for this or are we all idiots?

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 03:48 PM
I love people mocking the voting problems. I understand Republican voters need a way to laugh today, and if this is it, so be it I guess. I guess I just don't understand what is funny about an electronic system that has many vulnerabilities and does not leave a paper trail.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 03:49 PM
I still want to know why we Americans need to use these uber-complicated voting machines that cost $3400-5000 a piece, and nobody knows how to use, when a complete standard desktop PC is a tenth of that. Not to mention that there's a PC assigning PIN's and gathering the info off these stupid things at each voter site in the first place.

Can we blame one single party for this or are we all idiots?Because if we voted on PCs, the fix WOULD be in without a doubt. Too damn vulnerable.

RickPerry
11-07-2006, 03:49 PM

The champagne is already chillin' and the BBQ is already grillin'.

CubanMustGo
11-07-2006, 03:51 PM

Can we blame one single party for this or are we all idiots?

The problem with a std desktop is exactly that ... everyone knows it and they're incredibly easy to hack. You think there are questions now ...

I don't care for the Diebolds, either, but Windoze ain't the answer.

Chris Bell
11-07-2006, 03:54 PM
The champagne is already chillin' and the BBQ is already grillin'.

You just kick back and relax, Bubba. The New Texas Revolution is going to sweep you AND your hair out of office today!! :dizzy

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 03:55 PM
I keep seeing MSNBC showing Texas as having voting problems, but I can't find any issues.
Well, it's MSNBC; and, it's called developing an excuse for later use.

101A
11-07-2006, 03:56 PM
if you register by mail then you are required to show voting card and photo id at poll

Mensa:

Under the law you must present a form of identification to the election officials on Election Day the first time you vote in a new election district, division or precinct. This card is an acceptable form of identification.

Nbadan
11-07-2006, 03:57 PM
The problem with a std desktop is exactly that ... everyone knows it and they're incredibly easy to hack. You think there are questions now ...

I don't care for the Diebolds, either, but Windoze ain't the answer.

OPEN SOURCEWARE, Linux - is the answer, but we have to put all these private e-voting machine companies out of business or we're back to the same problems in just a few years,.

Nbadan
11-07-2006, 04:01 PM
Requiring any type of ID besides the voter registration card is voter suppression, but perhaps the Poll worker was unfamiliar with what type of ID was neccessary for first-time voters in the county to vote.

j-6
THis disgusts me. Programmers can write code that can measure the temperature of a nuclear reaction within a thousandth of a degree, or can aim an intercontinental ballistic missile and guide it within three meters of its target, or can keep up with each and every transaction on the NYSE and NASDAQ.

Heaven forbid we can't get someone to write code to tally votes in an efficient manner with 100% integrity on a tool we're all familiar with.

Yonivore
I love people mocking the voting problems. I understand Republican voters need a way to laugh today, and if this is it, so be it I guess.
He who laughs last, laughs best.

I guess I just don't understand what is funny about an electronic system that has many vulnerabilities and does not leave a paper trail.
I suppose it's as funny as hanging chads and butterfly ballots.

Hey, I'm all for going back to the No. 2 pencil and a Big Chief Tablet. Surely it can't take a precinct team that long to manually count handwritten votes. At least we'd be required to know the candidates and the issues before we entered the voting booth.

101A
11-07-2006, 04:02 PM
I love people mocking the voting problems. I understand Republican voters need a way to laugh today, and if this is it, so be it I guess. I guess I just don't understand what is funny about an electronic system that has many vulnerabilities and does not leave a paper trail.

First, there are plenty of things to laugh at about elections in this country anymore...not the least of which is Democrats who think ANYTHING is going to change in Washington if there is a change in leadership at either or both houses of Congress today!

The most significant result of the Democrats grabbing Congress today? Something for the next Republican presidential candidate to run AGAINST; otherwise he ain't got nothin.

I filled out a paper ballot with little bubbles to fill in. (Hope I didn't vote for Buchanan).

101A
11-07-2006, 04:03 PM
Requiring any type of ID besides the voter registration card is voter suppression, but perhaps the Poll worker was unfamiliar with what type of ID was neccessary for first-time voters in the county to vote.

NBADan = Sheeple

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 04:03 PM

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 04:05 PM
Requiring any type of ID besides the voter registration card is voter suppression,...
This is how dead people, incarcerated felons, illegal aliens, and terrorists are able to vote so I can see why Nbadan would be defending the idea that you shouldn't be required to validate your voter registration with a photo ID.

...but perhaps the Poll worker was unfamiliar with what type of ID was neccessary for first-time voters in the county to vote.
Perhaps the Poll Worker wanted to validate they belonged to the voter registration cards.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 04:07 PM
Hey, I'm all for going back to the No. 2 pencil and a Big Chief Tablet. Surely it can't take a precinct team that long to manually count handwritten votes. At least we'd be required to know the candidates and the issues before we entered the voting booth.Because those are the options we're limited to..

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 04:10 PM
First, there are plenty of things to laugh at about elections in this country anymore...not the least of which is Democrats who think ANYTHING is going to change in Washington if there is a change in leadership at either or both houses of Congress today!

The most significant result of the Democrats grabbing Congress today? Something for the next Republican presidential candidate to run AGAINST; otherwise he ain't got nothin.
I'm no real fan of Democrats myself, but you're kidding yourself if a congress controlled by Democrats isn't going to do a few things differently. Although, I've never been against government gridlock. If anything, maybe they can rebalance the budget.

11-07-2006, 04:13 PM
Requiring any type of ID besides the voter registration card is voter suppression,

Partisan bullshit aside, but why would asking someone to confirm they are who the card says they are suppression?

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Partisan bullshit aside, but why would asking someone to confirm they are who the card says they are suppression?
Unfortunately, you can't answer that question without partisan bullshit. Because, it isn't "suppression" unless there's a reason the person shouldn't be voting in the first place.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Democrats represent a large portion of the country that wouldn't have a photo ID such as poor or under educated minority voters. The elderly as well. Thats why they have an issue with it.

That being said, I don't think its unreasonable to expect someone to be able to prove who they are in some manner at the polls.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 04:16 PM
Unfortunately, you can't answer that question without partisan bullshit. Because, it isn't "suppression" unless there's a reason the person shouldn't be voting in the first place.Or unless they don't posses a photo ID?

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 04:19 PM
Democrats represent a large portion of the country that wouldn't have a photo ID such as poor or under educated minority voters. The elderly as well. Thats why they have an issue with it.
Oh please. Take your goddamn grandmother to DPS and get her a fucking ID card. While you're at it take your poor, undereducated, minority neighbors too.

Hell, Democrats pick up winos and lure them to the polls on election day with booze and cigarettes. Why can't they do the same, year 'round, and take them to the local DPS office?

That being said, I don't think its unreasonable to expect someone to be able to prove who they are in some manner at the polls.
And, just how would you propose they do that without a valid photo ID? Poll tests are consitutionally prohibited...in case you forgot.

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 04:20 PM
Or unless they don't posses a photo ID?
There is absolutely no reason every eligible voter in the country shouldn't have a valid photo ID. Period.

101A
11-07-2006, 04:20 PM

Because my card SPECIFICALLY says I don't have to, that's why.

If I had taken the card at its word, I might not have gone to the polls with any other ID.

That being said, if you don't get the satire from my original post, well, nevermind.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 04:21 PM

You're an idiot. I never took issue with asking for a photo ID. Notice the word THEY. You do know how thats used, yes?

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 04:21 PM
There is absolutely no reason every eligible voter in the country shouldn't have a valid photo ID. Period.What if they don't want one?

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 04:23 PM
What if they don't want one?
Then they don't want to vote that badly.

Again, how would you propose we cut down on the dead and other ineligible voters?

turambar85
11-07-2006, 04:24 PM
Ok, I am going to officially call it right now. Harold Ford by a full 1 percentage point. I have two reasons that don't have anything to do with major news stories that you would hear in Texas, but probably give a better feel from somebody who is right here in the heart of the race.

My two reasons are:

1. Conservatives in East Tennessee, the Republican strong-hold, despire Corker more than any candidate for any office from their party that I can remember in a long time. My step-dad, someone who listens to Rush Limbaugh and Michael Savage every single day, did not cast his vote for Bob Corker.

2. From 8 this morning until now it has been pouring the rain and 40 degrees in the majority of East Tennessee. In West Tennessee it has been sunny and beautiful all day. More voters will come hit the polls in that section of the state, giving Ford an advantage.

Because of these, and other reasons, I am calling Harold Ford Jr. the new Senator from Tennessee. Ugh..I just hope I am right in that he is the lesser of two horrible evils.

11-07-2006, 04:26 PM
Because my card SPECIFICALLY says I don't have to, that's why.

If I had taken the card at its word, I might not have gone to the polls with any other ID.

That being said, if you don't get the satire from my original post, well, nevermind.

I did get the sarcasm in your post 101, and it was nicely played.

But if you would having taken care to read who I quoted when asking my question, instead of flying off at the handle at me due to the egregious humiliation and persecution you were subjected to by a ne’er-do-well attempting to pervert the election system, you would have noticed that I was not questioning you.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 04:30 PM
Then they don't want to vote that badly.

Again, how would you propose we cut down on the dead and other ineligible voters?Proper voter registration.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Bad weather can play a huge role, but the polls are still open for quite some time in that state. I wonder if any exit poll numbers have been leaked to the blogosphere.

boutons_
11-07-2006, 04:32 PM
Fraud isn't a huge problem.

Whining about fraud is how the Repugs scare away the blacks and other poor.

Repug dirty tricks are THE big problem.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 04:34 PM
I've yet to go cast my vote. There are quite a few libertarian's on my ballot, however.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 04:34 PM
Well, it's MSNBC; and, it's called developing an excuse for later use.

Other than that post about 20 up from the one I'm quoting...

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 04:37 PM
Leave it to Yoni to take a simple question and pose a partisan answer with no evidence from his blogs to back it up.

http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1003353389

Papers Cover Voting Problems in Early Web Stories

By Joe Strupp

Published: November 07, 2006 1:45 PM ET

NEW YORK With memories still fresh of alleged voting glitches, fraud and long lines just two years ago in many locations, numerous newspapers are making coverage of problems with today's vote a top issue on Web sites today.

As voters go to the polls to cast ballots in what may be the most significant mid-year elections in a dozen years, new concerns about the use of electronic voting machines and uncertainty over the experience of poll workers have made the focus on potential problems, and delays, more relevant than ever.

USA Today appeared to lead the newspaper reporting on the Web today about Election Day problems, with its lead story headlined, "Voting machine problems bedevil multiple states." The lengthy piece revealed information on poll worker confusion with electronic voting in Illinois, computer errors delaying votes in Indiana -- and prompting a court order to extend voting -- and non-functioning machines in Ohio.

Associated Press had several reports focused on voting problems, including one posted by mid-morning headlined "New Rules, Machines Frazzle Poll Workers."

"Programming errors and inexperience dealing with electronic voting machines frustrated poll workers in hundreds of precincts early Tuesday, delaying voters in Indiana, Ohio and Florida and leaving some with little choice but to use paper ballots instead," the story stated. After detailing some specific instances, the story added that "with a third of Americans voting on new equipment and voters navigating new registration databases and changing ID rules, election watchdogs worried about polling problems even before the voting began."

By late morning, The New York Times, The Washington Post and the Los Angeles Times had few original Web stories on voting problems. The New York Times posted a version of the AP Web story, along with a blog item on Chelsea Clinton initially being denied a chance to vote in Manhattan because her name was not on the rolls. She did reportedly cast an affidavit ballot. The Post's main election day primer referred to some newspapers Web reports in other states, as well as the AP coverage of problems.

In Ohio, where the majority of voting problems and fraud complaints came about in the 2004 presidential elections, each major paper offered early voting problem reports.

The Plain Dealer in Cleveland had a story about more than 40 of the 573 polling places in its home county reporting problems with polls, stating that they either opened late or had electronic voting machine problems. The paper also ran a story about an 18-year-old in Cleveland Heights who was initially denied his first chance to vote, before proving that he was properly registered.

An AP story out of Cleveland tabulated problems ranging from lines as long as 30-people deep forming in Cleveland, Cincinnati and Columbus to examples of voter being denied the chance to cast ballots, despite having proof of registration. Many Ohio stories pointed to problems stemming from the state requiring proof of identification for the first time this year.

"They did offer me a provisional ballot but I have absolutely no faith in provisional ballots," one voter denied the chance to vote told AP. "I don't want to do a ballot that I fear won't be counted." One elections board received so many calls from voters and poll workers that the county's phone system collapsed for about 90 minutes, the story added.

At the Blade in Toledo, however, a top story reported few glitches in its local county voting, adding that there was "decent traffic at most polling locations but not long lines." The Columbus Dispatch had an early story about the county phone system crashing for 90 minutes under the weight of voter and poll worker calls.

Newspapers in Florida, where problems from the 2000 presidential voting are also still fresh, offered their own early Web reports. The South Florida Sun-Sentinel in Fort Lauderdale declared "few problems in Broward County," while The Miami Herald reported a 90-minute delay in voting in Deerfield Beach.

"Only three people had voted when all 14 machines stopped working," the Herald reported about the effect in one precinct. "After about 45 minutes, voters in Precinct 26A were able to cast ballots on four machines. But most voters, those in Precinct 23A, were out of luck until about 8:30 a.m., when technicians were able to get at least some machines back online."

At The Houston Chronicle, voters casting ballots in former Rep. Tom Delay's old district found electronic machine problems that delayed votes and cast "some uncertainty on ballots already cast." The paper also had an example of voting machines being used in the wrong district.

The Denver Post and Rocky Mountain News both played up a story about the Colorado Democratic Party seeking a two-hour voting extension after computer problems delayed voting statewide.

USA Today was one of several newspaper's seeking reader input on voting problems, with a site page asking online users to e-mail their voting stories, along with photos. "Whether you're taking a picture of your polling station or not, Electionline wants to hear about your voting experience today," the paper's request stated. "When did you go? Was the experience smooth? Was it ugly? How were the lines? How did you cast your ballot -- computer, paper or otherwise -- and what did you think of the method? And how's the weather where you are?"

Initial comments from USA Today readers offered a mix of smooth operations and frustrating problems.

"Today when voting in Broward County Florida ... there were people doing last minute campaigning at the entry door. I believe it is illegal to do that within a certain distance of the voting area," one reader stated in an e-mail. Another from New York wrote in, "My polling station level action machine was not working @ 6:10, 10 minutes after polls opened, had to use 'Emergency Paper Ballot'."

But others indicated no glitches, such as the Texas reader who wrote, "the electronic process was pretty intuitive and went smoothly," adding later that "weather here in Texas is sunny and seasonally warm."

The Chicago Tribune sought stories from voters as well, with Web pages set aside for input on how smoothly the ballots were cast. "Did you experience any difficulties while casting your vote?" The Tribune site asked. "Tell us about it. (You may also report irregularities to the U.S. attorney's office at 312-469-6157.)"

The Boston Globe, meanwhile, listed Web sites and phone numbers to call with voter problems.

101A
11-07-2006, 04:45 PM
I did get the sarcasm in your post 101, and it was nicely played.

But if you would having taken care to read who I quoted when asking my question, instead of flying off at the handle at me due to the egregious humiliation and persecution you were subjected to by a ne’er-do-well attempting to pervert the election system, you would have noticed that I was not questioning you.

touche.

It's just that I'm trying to become a proper alarmist knee-jerk conspiracy theorist. Flying off the handle is part of the package.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 04:45 PM
Damn liberal media, always just blindly endorsing the commie Libs...

First, the Dallas Morning News (http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/dn/opinion/editorials/stories/102006dnediperryrec.272627d.html)

Whoops.

Well, that liberally-biased San Antonio Express-News (http://www.mysanantonio.com/global-includes/printstory.jsp?path=/opinion/stories/MYSA102006.enrecommendations.en.593d9317.html) must have done it.

Whoops.

Well, the Un-American-Statesman must have done it, right?

Austin American-Statesman (http://www.statesman.com/opinion/content/editorial/stories/10/29/29endorselist_edit.html)

Whoops.

Well, maybe the Lubbock Avalanche-Journal (http://www.lubbockonline.com/stories/110706/edi_110706017.shtml)

Well, so far, the only two major papers I can tell that didn't endorse Gov. Perry were the Ft. Worth Star-Telegram and the Houston Chronicle.

S-T endorsed Bell, Chronicle endorsed Strayhorn.

j-6
11-07-2006, 04:46 PM
Funny stuff from Blaze's E&P site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ik1pocRSRgQ

N.J. Sen. Menendez of Accused of Padlocking Opponent's Campaign HQ
3:45 PM ET, from CNN (via You Tube):

In a video clip the campaign of Republican Tom Kean accused staffers from the camp of incumbent Sen. Bob Menendez (D-NJ) of chaining and padlocking Kean campaign headquarters.

The Menendez camp has denied the charges, and calling the accusation "the biggest stunt since Britney Spears' 3 a.m. Las Vegas wedding."

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 04:48 PM
Kind of a sad note since I've sat at length with both men and both struck me as very down-to-earth and truly caring about representing their constituents.

State representative says former opponent punched him at polling place
Rose says Green attacked him at Dripping Springs church; no arrests made

By Laura Heinauer
AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF
Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Hays County authorities are investigating a report that State House District 45 Rep. Patrick Rose, D-Dripping Springs was assaulted today while standing outside a polling place at Sunset Canyon Baptist Church east of Dripping Springs.

Rose, an attorney with the Ratliff Law Firm and a licensed Realtor, said he was punched by Rick Green, his 2002 Republican opponent.

"Rick lost his temper," he said. "It's unfortunate that something like this happened on election day."

Jackie Whalen, a witness to the incident, said she was standing in line to vote when she saw Rose and Green standing and talking between two vehicles. She said she saw Green push Rose against an SUV and then punch him in the face.

"Patrick Rose looked like he was trying to get away and then a bunch of men came over and pulled Rick Green off," Whalen said. "He continued trying to go after him and kept shouting 'You need to stop lying' and 'Let him defend himself, the big baby.' "

Rose said he was not hurt.

"Next time I see Rick, I'll remember to keep my left up," he said.

Green could not be reached for comment.

Hays County Sheriff's spokeswoman Pam Robinson said deputies responded to a call about a fight at about 11:30 a.m., but no arrests were made. She would not confirm who was involved in the incident other than Rose and said Rose did not require medical treatment.

Rose, who lives in Dripping Springs, beat Green, who was then the incumbent, by 335 votes in 2002. He has won twice as a Democrat in a district drawn to favor a Republican, but just barely — squeaking by Green, then fending off Alan Askew by about 5,700 votes in 2004.

Rose's 2006 GOP challenger, Jim Neuhaus, said he was at the polling place this morning before the incident.

"My first reaction, if indeed it is an assault, that's pretty serious," Neuhaus said.

Hays County Election Administrator Joyce Cowan said the polling site has been busy and the incident doesn't appear to have affected voting.

"It's been a busy polling site all day," she said. "I don't think it did anything but give the people in line something to look at."

http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/11/08/8fight.html

I got to watch a great documentary about their race in 2002 in which Rose unseated the incumbent Green. Let me see if I can find the name of it.

Here it is...Last Man Standing

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2004/lastmanstanding/about.html

Happier times for Rose and Green.

http://www.pbs.org/pov/pov2004/lastmanstanding/i/last_rose_green.jpg

11-07-2006, 04:49 PM
touche.

It's just that I'm trying to become a proper alarmist knee-jerk conspiracy theorist. Flying off the handle is part of the package.

Ah, I didn't get that memo.

But can we still wear the uber-cool foil hats like Joaquin did in Signs?

xrayzebra
11-07-2006, 04:50 PM

Manny, not every state/county/city is run by Republicans. The dimm-o-craps
bitched about the hanging chads wanted a new system, electronic, they got
it. Now I am wondering. Are the dimm-o-crap voters the only folks who
have problems with the voting system? Are they the only ones who have
problems proving who they are with another id? Are they the only ones
who have a problem being surpressed? Are they the only ones standing in
line that need voting times extended? Dimms sure have lots of problems
casting their ballots.

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 04:50 PM
I've yet to go cast my vote. There are quite a few libertarian's on my ballot, however.
I voted Libertarian except where there wasn't one on the ballot and then, I voted Republican.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 04:52 PM
I voted Libertarian except where there wasn't one on the ballot and then, I voted Republican.Interestingly enough, our ballots will probably be very similar. Hows that for an election day suprise?

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 04:54 PM
Interestingly enough, our ballots will probably be very similar. Hows that for an election day suprise?

What the hell just hit me in the head and what the hell is all this stuff falling from the sky?

101A
11-07-2006, 04:55 PM
Based on my own exit polling, albeit with a relatively limited sampling; the Libertarian party is going to sweep to power in Texas this year; having attracted vast support from the Left and Right

MannyIsGod
Manny, not every state/county/city is run by Republicans. The dimm-o-craps
bitched about the hanging chads wanted a new system, electronic, they got
it. Now I am wondering. Are the dimm-o-crap voters the only folks who
have problems with the voting system? Are they the only ones who have
problems proving who they are with another id? Are they the only ones
who have a problem being surpressed? Are they the only ones standing in
line that need voting times extended? Dimms sure have lots of problems
casting their ballots.Democrats are not the only ones experiencing voter problems in any way shape or form. Thats why I don't understand why people keep bringing this up.

Yonivore

That looks like Mark Strama on the left in that photo...

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 04:56 PM
Based on my own exit polling, albeit with a relatively limited sampling; the Libertarian party is going to sweep to power in Texas this year; having attracted vast support from the Left and Right:lol

The EN had a front page article on Werner about a week ago. Maybe it'll bring in 2 more votes.

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 04:57 PM

The EN had a front page article on Werner about a week ago. Maybe it'll bring in 2 more votes.
Hey, Manny and I voted for the same gubernatorial candidate! Kum-bah-freakin'-yah!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 04:58 PM

That looks like Mark Strama on the left in that photo...

:lol That is pretty uncanny.

But it's Rose.

http://img295.imageshack.us/img295/5421/markbwsmallyn1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)
Strama

http://www.patrickmrose.com/images/pic16.jpg
Patrick Rose

The ladies of Texas State just went ga-ga over Rose, though...

xrayzebra
11-07-2006, 04:58 PM
^^
Really! Haven't seen many Republicans raising hell about much of anything. I
may be wrong, but I don't think so. I do stand corrected. I heard about a certain
precinct in New Mexico that didn't have enough ballots and the Pubs were bitching
about it.

101A
11-07-2006, 04:59 PM
Hey, Manny and I voted for the same gubernatorial candidate! Kum-bah-freakin'-yah!

Hitler: "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

j-6
11-07-2006, 05:01 PM
There's no way that Rose guy's over 30 years old. What's the minimum age requirement for the state House?

Ocotillo
11-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Hell, Democrats pick up winos and lure them to the polls on election day with booze and cigarettes. Why can't they do the same, year 'round, and take them to the local DPS office?

Actually, that would be the Republicans (http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/11/7/154351/697)

The ballots were handed out by people who said they arrived by buses this morning from Pennsylvania and Delaware.

Nice touch, bussing the homeless in from out of state.

Erik Markle, one of the people handing out literature for Ehrlich, who is seeking reelection, and Steele, the current lieutenant governor who is campaigning to replace retiring Sen. Paul Sarbanes (D), said he was recruited at a homeless shelter in Philadelphia.

After a two-hour bus ride to Maryland, Markle said the workers were greeted early this morning by first lady Kendel Ehrlich, who thanked them as they were outfitted in T-shirts and hats with the logo for Ehrlich's reelection campaign. Nearly all of those recruited, Markle said, are poor and black. Workers traveled to Maryland in at least seven large buses.

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 05:04 PM
Actually, that would be the Republicans (http://www.dailykos.com/storyonly/2006/11/7/154351/697)

The ballots were handed out by people who said they arrived by buses this morning from Pennsylvania and Delaware.

Erik Markle, one of the people handing out literature for Ehrlich, who is seeking reelection, and Steele, the current lieutenant governor who is campaigning to replace retiring Sen. Paul Sarbanes (D), said he was recruited at a homeless shelter in Philadelphia.

After a two-hour bus ride to Maryland, Markle said the workers were greeted early this morning by first lady Kendel Ehrlich, who thanked them as they were outfitted in T-shirts and hats with the logo for Ehrlich's reelection campaign. Nearly all of those recruited, Markle said, are poor and black. Workers traveled to Maryland in at least seven large buses.

Okay, I was talking about voters and you're mocking an effort to employ the homeless by a Republican candidate. Are you related to John Kerry?

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 05:05 PM
There's no way that Rose guy's over 30 years old. What's the minimum age requirement for the state House?
Judging by some of the incumbents we have, 2.

101A
11-07-2006, 05:05 PM

Also gets them out of Philly; can't vote for Casey.

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 05:06 PM
Also gets them out of Philly; can't vote for Casey.
I guess they couldn't have voted early.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 05:06 PM

IIRC, he should be about 27-28.

I know he was 23 when he won election, but I can't remember his birthdate off the top of my head.

101A
11-07-2006, 05:08 PM
I guess they couldn't have voted early.

Yeah, believe it or not, the crack-heads and other homeless don't request that many absentee ballots in Pennsylvania.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 05:09 PM
And I think the minimum age to hold public office in Texas is 18.

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Yeah, believe it or not, the crack-heads and other homeless don't request that many absentee ballots in Pennsylvania.
Okay, now you're calling them crackheads. Why does being poor, black, and homeless make you a crackhead? Another John Kerry relative, no doubt.

j-6
11-07-2006, 05:20 PM
Most of the poor, black, homeless folks in Philly just didn't pay off their college loans in a timely fashion. The crackheads, however, moved to whatever ward Marion Barry represents in DC these days.

101A
11-07-2006, 05:23 PM
Okay, now you're calling them crackheads. Why does being poor, black, and homeless make you a crackhead? Another John Kerry relative, no doubt.

Playing the averages here. Brother-in-law is a crackhead. According to him, LOTS of the homeless are crackheads. Black != Crackhead. Homeless = Crackhead sometimes.

11-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Hitler: "Brrrrrrrrrrrrrrr"

:rollin

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 05:24 PM
I can't get drudge to load.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 05:28 PM
Interesting Daily Kos Post:

Today is the end of the electronic voting machine
by kos
Tue Nov 07, 2006 at 12:04:06 PM PST

Republicans are complaining about voting irregularities as loudly as we are today. A Republican governor, two Republican congressmen turned away from the polls. Votes supposedly switching in electronic voting machines in New Jersey. Complaints coming from New Mexico and elsewhere.

Here's the bottom line -- no one trusts those machines anymore. And not only do they damage the integrity of our democracy, but they give losing campaigns an excuse to grandstand and further erode faith in our system. Paper ballots (or optical scan) is a solution, but it doesn't solve the problem of voter turnout, voter intimidation, the problems with inclement weather, and lack of voter education when entering the booth.

Jeremy Wright has led a campaign to promote Oregon-style vote by mail (which is now in place in most of Washington state). He just posted a diary on the mechanics of it.

It's clear the current system is broken. We have dumped hundreds of millions of dollars and it's not getting any better. Time to cut our losses and look at the most sensible solution available.

Voter participation: It increases turnout -- 84 percent of registered Oregonians voted this year.

Convenience: People can vote according to their schedule.

Education: People have time to study issues and candidates before voting.

Fraud protection: It has built-in safeguards that increase the integrity of the elections process.

Built-in paper trail.

Voter eligibility: Built-in time to resolve disputes.

Actual results are released when polls close as opposed to unreliable "exit polls."

Financial: It saves money.

And it's still a secret ballot:

Oregon's Vote by Mail system is simple and straightforward. Ballots are mailed 14 to 18 days before an election to the registered address of the voter; the voter has two weeks to return the ballot through the mail or by dropping it off at official drop-off sites. The voter must sign the outside of the envelope (the ballot is sealed in a separate envelope inside) and that signature is checked against the signature on file with the elections division.

But whether it's vote by mail or something else, it's looking increasingly clear, with the discontent on both sides of the partisan divide, that political pressure for change will be intense.

DarkReign
I am quite surprised by this thread.

No bashing.
No crazy internet threats.
Nothing.

You guys suck.

<-----off to vote

Nbadan
I can't get drudge to load.

The Lord works in mysterious ways!

:toast

FromWayDowntown
11-07-2006, 05:29 PM
I love that political discourse in this country has remained a battle over ideas and policy choices and hasn't devolved into partisan sniping and pansy-ass name-calling.

sigh.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 05:36 PM
FWDT has been on a sarcasmo steak lately. :lol I like it.

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 05:38 PM
As much as you like flinging poo?

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 05:44 PM
Virginia on pace for a record turnout. I have no idea who that helps.

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Virginia on pace for a record turnout. I have no idea who that helps.
When live voters turnout, the Republicans always benefit. It's only when dead voters turnout that the Democrats win.

PM5K
11-07-2006, 05:46 PM
Well I voted, didn't take too long, but they should have picked a bigger room....

11-07-2006, 05:49 PM
Tonight, I'm going to run the 2 miles to my polling place.

See, not only is voting your civic duty, it can be healthy too!

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 05:50 PM

Then you'll stink and there will be reports of vote tampering because the lady couldn't concentrate due to the "stank" in the booth next to her.

Yonivore
11-07-2006, 05:51 PM

Just don't short out the Diebold with your sweat.

11-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Just don't short out the Diebold with your sweat.

Meh, I'll just use the sample ballot to towel off first.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 05:52 PM
Maria Bartiromo is hot.

ChumpDumper
11-07-2006, 06:00 PM
Elections chief says poll worker asked for photo ID despite ban

MISSOURI -- Missouri's chief elections official said Monday that she was asked for photo identification at the voting booth despite a court ruling striking down the requirement. Secretary of State Robin Carnahan said that a worker at the St. Louis Election Board asked her three times to show photo ID when she went to cast an absentee ballot Friday. Carnahan, a Democrat, said that she tried to explain that a photo ID was not necessary, but that the election worker replied that she was instructed to ask for one anyway. Carnahan said she eventually was allowed to vote without displaying a photo identification. Scott Leiendecker, the Republican director of the St. Louis Election Board, did not immediately return a call Monday.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/nation/15949328.htm

That's a funny one.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 06:02 PM
Indiana polls are supposed to close right now, but I think they were going to extended that due to problems.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 06:03 PM
Kentucky's polls also close at this time.

Johnny_Blaze_47
Green's been charged with assault and has turned himself into the Hays County Sheriff's Office.

Polls here still close at 7:00, right?

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 06:04 PM
Elections chief says poll worker asked for photo ID despite ban

MISSOURI -- Missouri's chief elections official said Monday that she was asked for photo identification at the voting booth despite a court ruling striking down the requirement. Secretary of State Robin Carnahan said that a worker at the St. Louis Election Board asked her three times to show photo ID when she went to cast an absentee ballot Friday. Carnahan, a Democrat, said that she tried to explain that a photo ID was not necessary, but that the election worker replied that she was instructed to ask for one anyway. Carnahan said she eventually was allowed to vote without displaying a photo identification. Scott Leiendecker, the Republican director of the St. Louis Election Board, did not immediately return a call Monday.

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/news/nation/15949328.htm

That's a funny one.

See, I have a problem with these stories, one, did they ever ask the election worker what happened? Two, how is an election worker able to tell whether a person is democrat or republican? Three, could the election worker just have been mis-informed? Four, if she eventually voted, what the hell's the problem?

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 06:05 PM
Nevermind, Apparently thats in one hour.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Polls here still close at 7:00, right?That is correct.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 06:06 PM
Four, if she eventually voted, what the hell's the problem?

Wouldn't it be safe to assume that she wasn't the only one challenged and might have been one of fewer to complain and fight it?

11-07-2006, 06:07 PM
That is correct.

That's what I thought, but CNN has Texas poll closings at 9:00 ET.

johnsmith
11-07-2006, 06:08 PM
Wouldn't it be safe to assume that she wasn't the only one challenged and might have been one of fewer to complain and fight it?

If the story described it that way, then yes, it would be safe to assume this, but it didn't, so no.

Look, obvisously this could have happened, but alot of these stories just seem to be "he said, she said" kind of stuff. You know, 15 minutes of fame.

Phil E.Buster
11-07-2006, 06:11 PM
I have a gut feeling republicans will be needing my services during the next two years.

ChumpDumper
11-07-2006, 06:13 PM
If the story described it that way, then yes, it would be safe to assume this, but it didn't, so no.

Look, obvisously this could have happened, but alot of these stories just seem to be "he said, she said" kind of stuff. You know, 15 minutes of fame.That's why they called the election board. They chose not to comment or were unavailable (all of them?), so their story wasnt heard.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 06:14 PM

Look, obvisously this could have happened, but alot of these stories just seem to be "he said, she said" kind of stuff. You know, 15 minutes of fame.

Well, it's a wire story, so all the info's not there.

http://columbiamissourian.com/news/story.php?ID=22719

Carnahan concerned about possible errors at polling places today

By DAVID A. LIEB Associated Press

November 7, 2006

JEFFERSON CITY — Secretary of State Robin Carnahan raised concerns about potential confusion at polling places in today’s elections, citing her own experience casting an absentee ballot as an indication that some poll workers may wrongly be asking voters for a photo identification.

Carnahan said Monday that a worker at the St. Louis Election Board asked her three times to show a photo identification when she voted absentee Friday — despite a Missouri Supreme Court ruling striking down the photo requirement.

The poll worker apparently did not recognize that Carnahan was Missouri’s chief elections official when Carnahan showed a paper voter card mailed out by the local election authority. The card does not have a picture but is an acceptable form of identification under Missouri law.

Carnahan said she tried to explain that a photo ID was not necessary, but the election worker replied that she was instructed to ask for one anyway. Carnahan said she eventually was allowed to vote without displaying a photo identification.

“To have that experience personally was very troubling,” Carnahan said. “I want to make sure that voters are clear, that election authorities are clear, that the identification requirements are the same as they have been in previous years.”

But “I’m guessing this may be happening in other parts of the state,” added Carnahan, a Democrat who had opposed Republican efforts to mandate a photo ID requirement in Missouri.

Scott Leiendecker, the Republican director of the St. Louis Election Board, did not immediately return a call Monday.

Carnahan said she spoke with Leiendecker, who assured her the identification requirements would be clarified and that voters would not be pressed to present a photo ID when they vote today.

A state law enacted earlier this year would have required voters to show a photo identification issued by the state or federal government. It would have also made provisional ballots available this November for those who did not have a photo ID. But the state Supreme Court ruled last month that the requirement was an unconstitutional infringement on the right to vote, upholding a lower court decision that struck down the requirement.

The ruling left in place another part of that law, which abolished the long-standing Missouri option to vote a straight-party ballot by checking a single box. Voters now will have to cast a vote for each individual candidate.

Carnahan said the St. Louis ballot-booth materials were unclear in explaining that straight-ticket voting was no longer allowed. She said Leiendecker also assured her that would be fixed by today.

The secretary of state also cited concerns about voting identification in St. Louis County — the state’s most populated — and Cole County, the seat of state government.

In St. Louis County, a polling place notification card sent to voters included the statement “bring signature ID.” But Carnahan said that an identification bearing a person’s signature is not required under state law.

John Diehl, chairman of the St. Louis County Board of Election Commissioners, said that statement has been included on voter notification cards since at least 1998. The purpose is to indicate the preferred method of identification, so voters can move through the lines more quickly, and is not meant to imply a signature ID is required, he said.

“We’ve never had complaints about it in the past,” Diehl said. “Everyone probably needs to take a deep breath and stop complaining about things before they happen.”

In Cole County, an instruction sheet for poll workers includes the statement: “If someone does not have their voter ID card with them, they can still vote if they can show you another form of ID that contains their signature.”

Cole County Clerk Marvin Register did not immediately return a telephone call Monday.

j-6
11-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Is that Robyn Carnahan lady related to the dead guy that beat out Ashcroft for governor?

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 06:20 PM
Is that Robyn Carnahan lady related to the dead guy that beat out Ashcroft for governor?

Daughter.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robin_Carnahan

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:07 PM
I wonder when the real races will be ready to be called

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:11 PM
Perry
Strayhorn
Bell
Friedman

@ 7:11 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 5,756 44.39% 5,756 44.39%

Chris Bell DEM 2,817 21.72% 2,817 21.72%

James Werner LIB 60 0.46% 60 0.46%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 1,342 10.35% 1,342 10.35%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 2,990 23.06% 2,990 23.06%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 2 0.02% 2 0.02%

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:15 PM
@ 7:14 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 30,951 44.16% 32,389 43.76%

Chris Bell DEM 19,245 27.46% 20,808 28.11%

James Werner LIB 351 0.50% 358 0.48%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 6,750 9.63% 7,044 9.52%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 12,772 18.22% 13,407 18.11%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 15 0.02% 15 0.02%
--------------- ---------------

Total Votes Cast 70,084 74,021

Early Provisional Ballots Reported 27

Total Provisional Ballots Reported 27

Precincts Reported 49 of 8,510 Precincts 0.58%

* Statewide Turnout 0.57% 13,074,279 Registered Voters
--------------------------------------------

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:16 PM
The first 1% of Tennese votes for the Senate are 54-45 in favor of Corker.

Virginia is 50-49 (355,976-354,890) in favor of Allen with 33% reporting.

PixelPusher
11-07-2006, 08:18 PM
Election fixing charges fly in Utah county (http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politicalticker/2006/11/election-fixing-charges-fly-in-utah.html)

SALT LAKE CITY (AP) -- Voting appears to be very popular in Daggett County, Utah.

Daggett County has registered 947 voters for Tuesday's election. According to the most recent Census figures, that's four more than the county's population in 2005.

A spokesman for Attorney General Mark Shurtleff says complaints of vote-stuffing in the county are being investigated. Democrats suspect County Clerk Vickie McKee is letting outsiders swell the Daggett County registration rolls to give Republicans an advantage. The Democrats also say the father of a Republican deputy running for sheriff has 14 adults registered at his household. McKee hasn't responded to messages from The Associated Press.

Fraud? maybe...but I've seen a few episodes of "Big Love" on HBO, so it could be the sheriff's dad has a "Big" family.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:20 PM
Allen now has a 10k vote lead with 38% reporting in Virginia. This shit is going to come down to the wire.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:21 PM
@ 7:19 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 155,480 41.53% 156,918 41.47%

Chris Bell DEM 112,900 30.15% 114,463 30.25%

James Werner LIB 1,830 0.49% 1,837 0.49%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 38,654 10.32% 38,948 10.29%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 62,948 16.81% 63,583 16.81%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 2,599 0.69% 2,599 0.69%

Total Votes Cast 374,411 378,348

Early Provisional Ballots Reported 118

Total Provisional Ballots Reported 118

Precincts Reported 68 of 8,510 Precincts 0.80%

* Statewide Turnout 2.89% 13,074,279 Registered Voters

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:21 PM
Holy hell, can Bell actually pull off an upset?

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Back to a 1k lead for Allen with 40% reporting

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:23 PM
Holy hell, can Bell actually pull off an upset?No

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:24 PM
No

I'd bet you a CFS, but I owe you two already.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:28 PM
Kinky's second in at least two counties early numbers.

MannyIsGod
Tennessee, Virginia, and South Carolina are all going to pass gay marrige bans by a large margin.

MannyIsGod
I'd bet you a CFS, but I owe you two already.:lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:29 PM
@ 7:24 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 219,925 41.44% 221,424 41.40%

Chris Bell DEM 160,381 30.22% 161,982 30.29%

James Werner LIB 2,560 0.48% 2,569 0.48%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 53,531 10.09% 53,851 10.07%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 91,685 17.28% 92,358 17.27%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 2,609 0.49% 2,609 0.49%

Total Votes Cast 530,691 534,793

Early Provisional Ballots Reported 167

Total Provisional Ballots Reported 167

Precincts Reported 87 of 8,510 Precincts 1.02%

* Statewide Turnout 4.09% 13,074,279 Registered Voters

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:29 PM

You know, I'd be happy with anybody but Perry at about this time.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:30 PM
Democrats are leading in all 3 of the key Indiana house races. These races were considered a barometer on how the rest of the country would go. If the GOP loses all 3 of these, they are going to need quite a few bottles to drink away some sorrows later tonight.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:31 PM
@ 7:29 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 276,978 41.91% 304,764 40.14%

Chris Bell DEM 192,992 29.20% 238,239 31.38%

James Werner LIB 3,254 0.49% 4,242 0.56%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 67,271 10.18% 78,193 10.30%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 117,814 17.83% 131,196 17.28%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 2,611 0.40% 2,611 0.34%

Total Votes Cast 660,920 759,245

Early Provisional Ballots Reported 212

Total Provisional Ballots Reported 212

Precincts Reported 100 of 8,510 Precincts 1.18%

* Statewide Turnout 5.81% 13,074,279 Registered Voters

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:32 PM
lol, Joe is going to keep updating everytime a new precient comes in.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:33 PM
lol, Joe is going to keep updating everytime a new precient comes in.

Actually, just when the Sec. of State updates the site...that county thing was just because I clicked it and started reading more.

I need to do something while I wait for these basketball scores to come in.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:34 PM
Happy days are here again, f'ers!

NBC: Casey ousts Santorum in Pennsylvania

http://msnbcmedia.msn.com/j/msnbc/Components/Art/COVER/061107/pic_061107_cvr_santorum_5p.tsm368x178.jpg

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:34 PM
I'm hitting refresh like mad on many sites. I was like this in 2004 too.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:35 PM
The Indiana 8th CD is being called for Ellsworth (D). Theres a a pickup for the Dems!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:36 PM
@ 7:34 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 354,989 41.31% 382,775 39.97%

Chris Bell DEM 248,570 28.92% 293,817 30.68%

James Werner LIB 4,531 0.53% 5,519 0.58%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 87,767 10.21% 98,689 10.30%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 160,897 18.72% 174,279 18.20%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 2,660 0.31% 2,660 0.28%

Total Votes Cast 859,414 957,739

Early Provisional Ballots Reported 275

Total Provisional Ballots Reported 275

Precincts Reported 115 of 8,510 Precincts 1.35%

* Statewide Turnout 7.33% 13,074,279 Registered Voters

Ring that Bell!

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:38 PM
Not going to happen Joe. But I will be rather amazed if Perry doesn't even get 40%. How sad is that? You barely get 1 3rd of the voters and you're governor? Shitty.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:41 PM
@ 7:39 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 378,275 41.64% 406,127 40.34%

Chris Bell DEM 259,187 28.53% 304,445 30.24%

James Werner LIB 4,743 0.52% 5,734 0.57%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 92,465 10.18% 103,401 10.27%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 171,047 18.83% 184,448 18.32%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 2,687 0.30% 2,687 0.27%

Total Votes Cast 908,404 1,006,842

Early Provisional Ballots Reported 284

Total Provisional Ballots Reported 284

Precincts Reported 126 of 8,510 Precincts 1.48%

* Statewide Turnout 7.70% 13,074,279 Registered Voters

Damnit.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:43 PM
I need a population breakdown of Virginia counties

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:44 PM
I need a population breakdown of Virginia counties

http://www.census.gov

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:47 PM
Yeah, I found some other stuff. Thanks.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:47 PM
@ 7:44 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 388,902 41.74% 416,944 40.46%

Chris Bell DEM 264,558 28.39% 309,890 30.07%

James Werner LIB 4,832 0.52% 5,823 0.57%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 95,887 10.29% 106,861 10.37%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 174,895 18.77% 188,362 18.28%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 2,687 0.29% 2,687 0.26%

Total Votes Cast 931,761 1,030,567

Early Provisional Ballots Reported 300

Total Provisional Ballots Reported 300

Precincts Reported 132 of 8,510 Precincts 1.55%

* Statewide Turnout 7.88% 13,074,279 Registered Voters

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:51 PM
@ 7:49 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 389,640 41.73% 417,940 40.45%

Chris Bell DEM 264,991 28.38% 310,429 30.05%

James Werner LIB 4,840 0.52% 5,831 0.56%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 96,093 10.29% 107,136 10.37%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 175,527 18.80% 189,100 18.30%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 2,688 0.29% 2,688 0.26%

Total Votes Cast 933,779 1,033,124

Early Provisional Ballots Reported 300

Total Provisional Ballots Reported 300

Precincts Reported 134 of 8,510 Precincts 1.57%

* Statewide Turnout 7.90% 13,074,279 Registered Voters

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:53 PM
Santorum won't concede ... yet
Posted: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 8:38 PM by Al Olson

Robert Traynham, Santorum campaign spokesperson, tells NBC News that Santorum is NOT conceding.

"Exit polls have been wrong before," Traynham said.

http://firstread.msnbc.msn.com/archive/2006/11/07/12893.aspx

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Interesting...

Bexar County

Perry 49.1 K
Bell 40.6 K

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 08:56 PM
@ 7:54 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 393,003 41.75% 422,938 40.50%

Chris Bell DEM 266,680 28.33% 313,080 29.98%

James Werner LIB 4,858 0.52% 5,861 0.56%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 96,853 10.29% 108,248 10.37%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 177,255 18.83% 191,408 18.33%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 2,688 0.29% 2,688 0.26%

Total Votes Cast 941,337 1,044,223

Early Provisional Ballots Reported 317

Total Provisional Ballots Reported 317

Precincts Reported 147 of 8,510 Precincts 1.73%

* Statewide Turnout 7.99% 13,074,279 Registered Voters

Fark.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:58 PM
The Indiana 2nd and 9th CDs are setting up to go down to the wire but Democrats have leads in both.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 08:58 PM
Kinky hurt him. Kinky needed to drop out of the race for Bell to have any shot. He should have just dropped out.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:00 PM
Kinky hurt him. Kinky needed to drop out of the race for Bell to have any shot. He should have just dropped out.

We can only imagine how well Kinky would have done had somebody not forgotten to prep him for the debate.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:01 PM
More polls just closed.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:01 PM
@ 7:59 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 397,406 41.73% 427,352 40.50%

Chris Bell DEM 269,615 28.31% 316,069 29.95%

James Werner LIB 4,883 0.51% 5,886 0.56%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 98,397 10.33% 109,796 10.40%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 179,291 18.83% 193,463 18.33%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 2,692 0.28% 2,692 0.26%

Total Votes Cast 952,284 1,055,258

Early Provisional Ballots Reported 320

Total Provisional Ballots Reported 320

Precincts Reported 151 of 8,510 Precincts 1.77%

* Statewide Turnout 8.07% 13,074,279 Registered Voters

And there was no way Kinky would have dropped out. No way.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-07-2006, 09:03 PM
This would have been a great year to take down Perry if it weren't for there being three solid challengers. Wish 1-2 of them would have bowed out and thrown their support behind the other :pctoss

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:06 PM
Strayhorn probably hurt Perry more than she hurt Bell considering her political roots, but without a doubt Kinky hurt Bell badly.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:06 PM
This would have been a great year to take down Perry if it weren't for there being three solid challengers. Wish 1-2 of them would have bowed out and thrown their support behind the other :pctoss

There's no legitimate reason Texas has to be a plurality.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Early MO results show a dead heat (suprise!)

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:07 PM
Strayhorn probably hurt Perry more than she hurt Bell considering her political roots, but without a doubt Kinky hurt Bell badly.

Well, but how many Kinky voters would have even gone to the polls? While I can't say it didn't hurt Bell, I don't think it's a shoo-in that Kinky's 10 percent goes to Bell.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:08 PM
Early MO results show a dead heat (suprise!)

What about the referendum?

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:08 PM
The entire 10? of course not, but if even half of it goes to Bell then the race becomes more competitive and things change immensely

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:10 PM
The entire 10? of course not, but if even half of it goes to Bell then the race becomes more competitive and things change immensely

Yeah, but if Strayhorn were out, how many would have floated between the two?

Strayhorn hurt Perry BADLY.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:11 PM
@ 8:09 p.m.

Rick Perry - Incumbent REP 409,988 41.52% 438,831 40.36%

Chris Bell DEM 280,759 28.43% 325,815 29.96%

James Werner LIB 5,080 0.51% 6,078 0.56%

Richard "Kinky" Friedman IND 101,245 10.25% 112,590 10.35%

Carole Keeton Strayhorn IND 187,662 19.01% 201,342 18.52%

James "Patriot" Dillon W-I 2,696 0.27% 2,696 0.25%

Total Votes Cast 987,430 1,087,352

Early Provisional Ballots Reported 371

Total Provisional Ballots Reported 371

Precincts Reported 147 of 8,510 Precincts 1.73%

* Statewide Turnout 8.32% 13,074,279 Registered Voters

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:11 PM
What about the referendum?51-49 with 1%.

Dead heat.

However, it does look like MO fast food workers will get a raise. :lol The minimum wage measure seems to be passing.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:12 PM
NBC projects Sen. Joe Lieberman victor in Connecticut

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:12 PM
SHIT.

Allen is up by 40k with 75 percent reporting.

G F Allen Republican 819,892 50.54%
J H Webb Jr Democratic 782,930 48.26%
G G Parker Independent Green 17,883 1.10%
Write Ins 1,533 0.09%

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:15 PM
CNN has Webb much closer than the Virginia site does, but apparently they are showing different data. CNN's data contains more votes from Nothern VA.

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Affirmative Action is done in MI.

And no dove hunting... :rollin

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:17 PM
Per CNN

Webb
785,445 50%
Allen
(Incumbent)
785,435 49%
Parker
17,513 1%

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:18 PM
12 fucking votes?!?!?!?!?

WHICH SITE IS CORRECT?

My head is going to explode!

Johnny_Blaze_47
Candidates Party Vote Totals Percentage
G F Allen Republican 858,105 49.68%
J H Webb Jr Democratic 848,445 49.12%
G G Parker Independent Green 19,041 1.10%
Write Ins 1,641 0.10%
View Results by District Locality Total: 1,727,232

Johnny_Blaze_47
Manny,

http://sbe.vipnet.org/

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:19 PM
G F Allen Republican 858,105 49.68%
J H Webb Jr Democratic 848,445 49.12%
G G Parker Independent Green 19,041 1.10%
Write Ins 1,641 0.10%
View Results by District Locality Total: 1,727,232

Precincts Reporting: 1885 of 2443 (77.16%)
Registered Voters: 4,555,769 Total Voting: 1,727,232 Voter Turnout: 37.91 %

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:19 PM
Yeah, thats the site I'm looking at, but why do they and CNN have such different data. If it means anything, Webb was down by 40k a few minutes ago on the official Virginia site and he's now within 10k while CNN has him ahead.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:20 PM
In other news:

University of Miami defensive tackle Bryan Pata was shot and killed Tuesday night at an apartment complex in Miami. Pata, a senior, is from Miami. Police had no other details.

Ocotillo
11-07-2006, 09:20 PM
One hopeful thing about Webb/Allen is the Washington suburbs are suppose to report later than the rural Allen friendly area. Hope that turns out to be true.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:21 PM
Office: U.S. Senate

Precincts Reporting: 1927 of 2443 (78.88%)
Registered Voters: 4,555,753 Total Voting: 1,771,931 Voter Turnout: 38.89 %
G F Allen Republican 881,012 49.72%
J H Webb Jr Democratic 869,681 49.08%
G G Parker Independent Green 19,556 1.10%
Write Ins 1,682 0.09%
View Results by District Locality Total: 1,771,931

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:23 PM
CNN called Maryland for the Democrats.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:25 PM
Another pickup in the House for the Dems, Kentucky 3rd.

ChumpDumper
11-07-2006, 09:26 PM
Not enough dead voters in Virginia?

I miss the right wing commentary, so I'm going to add some.

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:27 PM
:)

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:29 PM
RI goes to the Democrats. Another pickup! 3 down, 3 to go!

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:29 PM

Precincts Reporting: 1981 of 2443 (81.09%)
Registered Voters: 4,555,755 Total Voting: 1,817,085 Voter Turnout: 39.89 %
G F Allen Republican 901,775 49.63%
J H Webb Jr Democratic 893,535 49.17%
G G Parker Independent Green 20,090 1.11%
Write Ins 1,685 0.09%
View Results by District Locality Total: 1,817,085

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:31 PM
That race is ridiculously close.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:33 PM
Precincts Reporting: 2050 of 2443 (83.91%)
Registered Voters: 4,555,751 Total Voting: 1,897,638 Voter Turnout: 41.65 %
G F Allen Republican 941,260 49.60%
J H Webb Jr Democratic 933,605 49.20%
G G Parker Independent Green 20,996 1.11%
Write Ins 1,777 0.09%
View Results by District Locality Total: 1,897,638

ChumpDumper
11-07-2006, 09:34 PM
It's a good thing for you the border is still open so Dimm-O-Craps can have all the illegals vote for them.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:35 PM
Virginia

Proposed Constitutional Amendment 1 - Marriage

Precincts Reporting: 1956 of 2443 (80.07%)
Registered Voters: 4,555,751 Total Voting: 1,781,776 Voter Turnout: 39.11 %
More Information Vote Totals Percentage
Yes 1,042,009 58.48%
No 739,767 41.52%
View Results by District Locality Total: 1,781,776

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:36 PM

Precincts Reporting: 2065 of 2443 (84.53%)
Registered Voters: 4,555,768 Total Voting: 1,911,710 Voter Turnout: 41.96 %
G F Allen Republican 948,615 49.62%
J H Webb Jr Democratic 940,177 49.18%
G G Parker Independent Green 21,128 1.11%
Write Ins 1,790 0.09%
View Results by District Locality Total: 1,911,710

Ocotillo
11-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Chafee should have switched parties in '05 and joined the Dems.

whottt
11-07-2006, 09:37 PM
Not enough dead voters in Virginia?

I miss the right wing commentary, so I'm going to add some.

You want commentary?

It's both sad and kinda cute how little it takes to get ya'll excited...

You guys are as pumped for this as normal people get for the Presidential Races...

The irony is that no one in the voting public really gives a damn about these elections...except ya'll.

ChumpDumper
11-07-2006, 09:38 PM
And you since you're here, twit.

whottt
11-07-2006, 09:40 PM
Um...I'm here on days when there aren't elections as well...

Right now I am more concerned with my fantasy team sucking ass.

I will say this though...

Seeing the manical like desperation ya'll have in beating Allen has pumped me up a little bit...

PixelPusher
MSNBC reporter on Webb/Allen race: "both sides say the vote count is headed towards recount range".

Johnny_Blaze_47
Not that it's any surprise, but Hutchison leads 62-35.

MannyIsGod
I care, I don't give a shit if nobody else cares. I care.

:)

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:41 PM

Precincts Reporting: 2073 of 2443 (84.85%)
Registered Voters: 4,555,768 Total Voting: 1,918,029 Voter Turnout: 42.10 %
G F Allen Republican 951,723 49.62%
J H Webb Jr Democratic 943,300 49.18%
G G Parker Independent Green 21,211 1.11%
Write Ins 1,795

ChumpDumper
11-07-2006, 09:41 PM
um...I'm here on days when there aren't elections as well...So you care then too. Congratulations.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Texas AG
Abbott 61-35.

whottt
11-07-2006, 09:42 PM
Bitch, this is the age of tabs...

I care so much that I didn't vote...

ChumpDumper
11-07-2006, 09:44 PM
You aren't even a right winger, so you weren't missed.

Johnny_Blaze_47
11-07-2006, 09:44 PM
Precincts Reporting: 2080 of 2443 (85.14%)
Registered Voters: 4,555,752 Total Voting: 1,924,919 Voter Turnout: 42.25 %
G F Allen Republican 954,916 49.61%
J H Webb Jr Democratic 946,922 49.19%
G G Parker Independent Green 21,283 1.11%
Write Ins 1,798 0.09%
View Results by District Locality Total: 1,924,919

MannyIsGod
11-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Democrats picked up the Indiana 2nd! Thats another big seat for them!

whottt
11-07-2006, 09:45 PM
Yeah but I am rooting for Allen just because Manny wants him to lose so bad.

He's not a pedophile or anything is he?