PDA

View Full Version : Etan Thomas and Brendan Haywood Get Into a Fight

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-07-2006, 01:49 PM
Centers Thomas, Haywood Reportedly in Recent Fight

By Ivan Carter
Washington Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, November 7, 2006; Page E01

ORLANDO, Nov. 6 -- Washington Wizards centers Etan Thomas and Brendan Haywood were involved in a physical altercation last Thursday in which the two traded punches at Verizon Center, according to two team sources.

One source, who requested anonymity because the team was trying to keep the incident private, said Thomas was angry over comments made by Haywood's agent, Andy Miller, on Oct. 30.

Miller was critical of Coach Eddie Jordan's decision to select Thomas as the starting center over Haywood, believing Jordan chose Thomas out of personal animosity toward Haywood rather than performance. "My concern is that this is based on personal issues rather than professional ones," Miller said the day of the decision.

Thomas felt that Miller's comments were a slight toward him, he approached Haywood and threw the first punch once the argument escalated, a source said. According to the source, Haywood responded to the punch by body-slamming Thomas to the ground, tearing out at least two of Thomas's dreadlocks in the process. The two players were separated by teammates and the altercation ended.

Thomas and Haywood declined to comment Monday night after losing to the Magic. Neither player was suspended and it was unclear whether any fines were assessed. Both players were in uniform for Monday night's game at Orlando.

Haywood was suspended for one game after he and Thomas got into a fight during practice last season.

Thomas was named the starter prior to last Wednesday's regular season opener at Cleveland following a heated competition between the two players that began in training camp and continued throughout the eight-game preseason, during which they rotated starts.

Haywood had been the primary starter during his five seasons with the Wizards and was not pleased by the demotion though he publicly said he was prepared to "be a professional and play as hard as I always do."

It's clear, however, that Haywood thinks of himself as a starter and is not happy coming off the bench. Miller stopped short of demanding a trade for his client but he did say "the current situation is not good for Brendan or for the team."

Thomas impressed Jordan during the first two regular season games and was a powerful presence again Monday, finishing with 14 points, 15 rebounds and a career high 6 blocks. Jordan indicated after practice Sunday that he will stick with Thomas as the starter.

"He's a force, he is active down there and he earned his spot for just those reasons," Jordan said. "He shows a lot of passion, he tries his best to defend the rim and I like him in a starting position."

Horry For 3!
11-07-2006, 01:59 PM
I hope Haywood gets traded in sake of my fantasy team. Eddie Jordan hates Haywood and rarely gets playing time.

Kori Ellis
11-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Please post links with articles

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/11/06/AR2006110601006.html

Bob Lanier
11-07-2006, 02:24 PM
It's good to hear that the No-contact Basketball Association hasn't been completely pussified.

But, Eddie Jordan almost certainly did demote Haywood out of petty personal dislike. If anyone has bigger egos than the players in this league, it's the coaches.

PM5K
11-07-2006, 02:41 PM
I think Haywood is the better player, but so far this season Thomas seems to be backing up his coaches decision to start him...

Marklar MM
11-07-2006, 03:14 PM
I think Haywood is the better player, but so far this season Thomas seems to be backing up his coaches decision to start him...

I would rather have Thomas.

nkdlunch
11-07-2006, 04:47 PM
I hope Haywood gets traded in sake of my fantasy team. Eddie Jordan hates Haywood and rarely gets playing time.

Jordan does not hate Haywood. Haywood was slacking the offseason and lost the starting spot by his own fault. not only that but Thomas has been kicking serious ass the last few games.

Thomas' value the last few games has skyrocketed. at this point Thomas is way better than haywood

I think this altercations is good for both of them, it will get them fired up and even more competitive

ShoogarBear
11-07-2006, 05:46 PM
That's the most energy Haywood has shown in three years.

I'm surprised. I would have guess beforehand than it would have been Thomas doing the bodyslamming.

Chris Childs
11-07-2006, 05:50 PM
If I was in a fight, I guarantee you their would be NO TRADING PUNCHES!

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2006, 01:19 AM
one of them will be useful for our team...

Fillmoe
11-08-2006, 01:44 AM
hair pulling? what a bunch of fucking bitches!

Horry For 3!
11-08-2006, 01:14 PM
Jordan does not hate Haywood. Haywood was slacking the offseason and lost the starting spot by his own fault. not only that but Thomas has been kicking serious ass the last few games.

Thomas' value the last few games has skyrocketed. at this point Thomas is way better than haywood

I think this altercations is good for both of them, it will get them fired up and even more competitive
Eddie Jordan showed his hate toward Haywood last season. I would know that because I HAVE to keep up with the situation because Haywood is on my Dynasty team. Best thing for Haywood is to get traded or he will be stuck as the 2nd string Center who has some talent.

dallasmavsnfuego214
11-08-2006, 07:35 PM
Thomas has been a monster this season (on the court :lol )

Horry For 3!
11-09-2006, 02:02 AM
Tonight against the Pacers

Thomas 22 mins 8 pts 4 rebs 2 asts 1 stl 1 blk 1 to
Haywood 24 mins 9 pts 8 rebs 1 ast 2 blks 3 tos

whottt
11-09-2006, 02:10 AM
It's good to hear that the No-contact Basketball Association hasn't been completely pussified.

But, Eddie Jordan almost certainly did demote Haywood out of petty personal dislike. If anyone has bigger egos than the players in this league, it's the coaches.

Hmmm I heard that Jordan actually is the only one who likes Haywood and it was the players themselves that wanted Thomas starting.

Horry For 3!
11-09-2006, 02:15 AM
Hmmm I heard that Jordan actually is the only one who likes Haywood and it was the players themselves that wanted Thomas starting.
Nah, Eddie Jordan hates Haywood.

Sense
11-09-2006, 02:57 AM
Haywood>Thomas.

MannyIsGod
11-09-2006, 03:33 AM
Thomas is better than Haywood

slayermin
11-09-2006, 04:17 AM
Haywood is a better shot blocker and offensive player. Thomas is a more physical defender and rebounder than Haywood. Too bad they can't work this out. They compliment each other nicely.

TDMVPDPOY
11-09-2006, 05:51 AM
time to trade orbeto