PDA

View Full Version : McCallum: Choosing sides (Bowen v Battier)

DieMrBond
11-08-2006, 02:29 AM
Who would you rather have?
Each week, SI.com's Jack McCallum analyzes two players of similar talents and/or on-court tendencies. (Contracts and salary-cap considerations are non-factors.)
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/jack_mccallum/11/07/battier.bowen/index.html

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/11/06/truth.rumors.nba/bowen-left.jpg
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/scorecard/11/06/truth.rumors.nba/battier-right.jpg

The U.S. Olympic team brought to camp two tough-minded, defensive-oriented "glue guys" during the summer. Only Shane Battier stayed. Bruce Bowen wasn't happy about being cut, but as befitting his team-first 'tude, didn't complain about it publicly.

In 10 seasons, Bowen has averaged just 6.5 points per game. He's not much of a threat when he puts the ball on the floor, but he's one of the most reliable three-point shooters in the league (especially from the left corner) with a career percentage of .388. His calling card is defense -- he has been a first-team all-defender for the last three seasons and a second-teamer for three years before that.

Battier hasn't been recognized nearly as much as Bowen for his D, but he, too, is known for relentlessly sticking to his man. He's a better all-around offensive player (10.5 points per game) and rebounder (4.8 compared to 2.9) than Bowen but hasn't had to perform in the spotlight nearly as much as his Spurs counterpart, who has been remarkably consistent in both of his championship seasons ('03 and '05).

"You might not want either of them to have the ball at crunch time," said one NBA assistant, "but they're both great team guys who can lock down anyone and they always give you everything they got."

A slight edge here goes to BATTIER, based on his youth (26 versus Bowen's 35) and multiplicity of talents.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-08-2006, 02:32 AM
Fair assessment, methinks.

Mr. Body
11-08-2006, 03:36 AM
Bowen can hit semi-clutch shots, too (not game winners, but game changers). Battier's not bad on that front. Bowen is the perfect fit for San Antonio, but if I were starting a new team, I'd have to take Battier. Hell, he's only 26.

Phenomanul
11-08-2006, 09:05 AM
A healthy Rockets team worries me more than Dallas....

Yao - no one on the Spurs can guard him... we lost the only center that could.
McGrady - gives Bowen a hard time
Battier - Will serve a Bowenesque role on whomever has the hot hand for the Spurs.
Wells - can seemingly rebound at will against us...

Obstructed_View
11-08-2006, 09:24 AM
A slight edge here goes to BATTIER, based on his youth (26 versus Bowen's 35)
+1

easjer
11-08-2006, 09:42 AM
Starting a new team? Battier. I was pissed when the Rockets got him. I love Battier. One of my favorite non Spurs.

Love Bowen to pieces, love what he does, but he is 35. Would a do a trade between them straight up tomorrow? No. But I'd always sorta hoped Battier could replace Bruce.

K-State Spur
11-08-2006, 10:56 AM
it really depends on the make-up of the rest of your team. if you need a third scorer, you're probably better off with battier. he's more likely to get you double figures on a semi-consistent basis.

but if you arleady have 3 scorers on the floor (i.e. the spurs & team USA), you're better off with Bowen. he's a better defender and performs that role better. what's the point in having a better offensive role player there when you want other people taking the majority of the shots as is?

wildbill2u
11-08-2006, 12:26 PM
I'd trade Battier for Bowen tomorrow without looking back.

Not that I don't like Bowen or respect what he's done for the team--but Battier has some longer playing time left and a more well-rounded game.

I think he'd be even better in the Spurs system and could give more O and rebounds.

bdictjames
11-08-2006, 12:57 PM
Id trade Finley for Battier anyday

Bob Lanier
11-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Battier can't guard faster wing players who can handle the ball well effectively, and I'm not at all convinced that he can defend real power forwards either. He's a good team defender who does extremely well against certain players, but I'll take Bowen's man-to-man defense.