PDA

View Full Version : Spurs will face Jalen Rose tonight

Jimcs50
11-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Suns complete deal with Rose

Associated Press
Nov. 7, 2006 02:53 PM

PHOENIX - Jalen Rose signed with the Phoenix Suns on Tuesday and is expected to be in uniform at San Antonio on Wednesday.

Rose, who received a $14.5 million buyout from the New York Knicks last week, will receive about $1.5 million in his one-year deal with Phoenix, just over the NBA veteran's minimum.

The 33-year-old guard-forward has averaged 14.7 points over 894 games in 12 NBA seasons. He is joining an offensive-minded, fast-paced team that has struggled to a 1-3 start this season. advertisement

Rose had narrowed his choices to Phoenix and Miami, then announced on his Web site Friday that he decided on the Suns. He said he wanted to play for a team with a legitimate shot at the NBA title.

"It's not about personal stats," Rose said Monday. "It's not about how much money I can make or people knowing my name. It's all about being part of a situation like this."

Rose's arrival could push James Jones out of the rotation. Coach Mike D'Antoni said he considered Rose a small forward first and a shooting guard second.

Rose won the NBA's most-improved player award for Indiana in 2000 and averaged at least 20 points a game for three consecutive seasons, ending in 2003. He has more career points (13,112) than anyone on the Phoenix roster and is 22nd among active NBA players.

"He's a veteran guy who will add a lot to our team," D'Antoni said. "He's a very versatile and talented basketball player."

Rose helped Michigan reached the NCAA tournament title game twice before being selected in the first round, 13th overall, by Denver in 1994.

The Suns are Rose's sixth NBA team.

Jimcs50
11-08-2006, 09:37 AM
Nice acquisition for Phoenix, he will be a great addition.

Obstructed_View
11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Yes he will definitely improve the Suns when he leaves.

1Parker1
11-08-2006, 09:49 AM
Damn, Spurs better be careful. Suns must be pissed to be off to such a poor 1-3 start. Tonight, they'll have extra motivation to win with Amare starting his first game and Jalen Rose playing his first game as a Pheonix Suns.

The_Game
11-08-2006, 09:57 AM
I don't if rose will play, he has only practised once. Guess if suns have guys in foul trouble they may be forced to use him.

AFBlue
11-08-2006, 10:04 AM
I don't if rose will play, he has only practised once. Guess if suns have guys in foul trouble they may be forced to use him.

In a rush, Gamer? You left out a few words and spelled a couple wrong, so I was just wondering.

Regarding your statement, I disagree. The beauty of the Suns system is that they really don't have a complicated system. Get out on the fast break, find a spot on the perimeter, set up and shoot. I doubt he'll start tonight or possibly the rest of the season, but I think the Suns will feel pressure to play him significant minutes as soon as tonight.

nkdlunch
11-08-2006, 10:06 AM
I have a feeling Rose will be their VanX of last year

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2006, 10:12 AM
if james jones get pushed out the rotation, i believe his contract expires end of this season or the next, hook him up with the spurs....

Jimcs50
11-08-2006, 10:13 AM
I have a feeling Rose will be their VanX of last year

That is impossible...their coach is not that stupid and stubborn.

Texas_Ranger
11-08-2006, 10:33 AM
Bowen should stop him.

nkdlunch
11-08-2006, 10:48 AM
That is impossible...their coach is not that stupid and stubborn.

are you talking about Mike "we will play NO defense and run and gun to the championship or die trying" D'Antoni???????????

The_Game
11-08-2006, 10:57 AM
Bowen should stop him.

Bowen can't stop everybody no matter how good you think he actually is. Suns have alot of weapons.

Jimcs50
11-08-2006, 11:04 AM
are you talking about Mike "we will play NO defense and run and gun to the championship or die trying" D'Antoni???????????

It was a shot at Pop, not an endorsement of Mike.

Duh!

nkdlunch
11-08-2006, 11:06 AM
It was a shot at Pop, not an endorsement of Mike.

Duh!

no shit sherlock. It's just funny you would say "no defense" D'antoni is less stupid and less stubborn than Pop

Obstructed_View
11-08-2006, 11:21 AM
Bowen can't stop everybody no matter how good you think he actually is. Suns have alot of weapons.
Yeah, Jalen Rose was so good the Knicks didn't want him. :lol

Trainwreck2100
11-08-2006, 11:23 AM

Oh please Bowen could take out the entire starting lineup, half the bench, the big duncking gorilla, and the stupid ass annoying owner before halftime. And nobody could pin it on him, cause he's ninja like that.

Borosai
11-08-2006, 11:23 AM
Defense?

The_Game
11-08-2006, 11:30 AM
Yeah, Jalen Rose was so good the Knicks didn't want him. :lol

they are looking to develop their young talent, Jalen would get in the way of that but on a contender? he could help you.

Obstructed_View
11-08-2006, 11:35 AM
they are looking to develop their young talent, Jalen would get in the way of that but on a contender? he could help you.
He might help in spots because he has ability, but it's highly doubtful that he's suddenly going to become something other than what he's been his entire career. I doubt he suddenly makes the Suns a contender.

cheguevara
11-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Rose was overrated throughout his career. He might improve slightly in Phoenix just cause of Nash. But will he take them to the next level? Nope

The_Game
11-08-2006, 11:44 AM
He might help in spots because he has ability, but it's highly doubtful that he's suddenly going to become something other than what he's been his entire career. I doubt he suddenly makes the Suns a contender.

Rose doesn't need to make them a contender..they already are one.

He doesn't need to do much, just help them by being able to play 3 positions, score a little, rebound and pass the ball.

spurs_fan_in_exile
11-08-2006, 11:47 AM
I don't care if he drops a triple double on the Spurs as long as it keeps him from doing any more reporting from the sideline.

Obstructed_View
11-08-2006, 11:55 AM
Rose doesn't need to make them a contender..they already are one.

He doesn't need to do much, just help them by being able to play 3 positions, score a little, rebound and pass the ball.
If they thought they were actually a contender they probably wouldn't have taken a risk with Jalen Rose. Unless Amare makes a complete and full recovery sometime this season, the Suns don't look a bit better than the team that squeaked by the Lakers and the Sixers on playoff experience. They backed their way into the WCF because of screwy seeding, not because they were the second best team in the division. They caught lightning in a bottle for one regular season, and then were proven that they weren't built for the playoffs.

They may do well to finish third in their own division, and that may not be enough to even get them into the post season in the western conference.

Anyway, I wish Jalen Rose well. It'd be nice not to see him waste his talent.

Obstructed_View
11-08-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't care if he drops a triple double on the Spurs as long as it keeps him from doing any more reporting from the sideline.
:lol

That's true. He's the worst sideline reporter ever. It was awesome that he kept his cool under towel bombardment on live TV.

The_Game
11-08-2006, 12:33 PM
If they thought they were actually a contender they probably wouldn't have taken a risk with Jalen Rose. Unless Amare makes a complete and full recovery sometime this season, the Suns don't look a bit better than the team that squeaked by the Lakers and the Sixers on playoff experience. They backed their way into the WCF because of screwy seeding, not because they were the second best team in the division. They caught lightning in a bottle for one regular season, and then were proven that they weren't built for the playoffs.

They may do well to finish third in their own division, and that may not be enough to even get them into the post season in the western conference.

Anyway, I wish Jalen Rose well. It'd be nice not to see him waste his talent.

Thats like saying

"If Spurs were a contender they wouldn't of signed Mike Finley"

adding rose adds depth, talent and experience.

Suns have the most talented roster in the NBA, to say they aren't a contender is foolish, They are stacked top to bottom...they may not look great now but they still have a great team.

had they not gotten hurt last year they likely would of won it all..

If suns aren't a contender..neither are the mavs.

Rynospursfan
11-08-2006, 06:09 PM
Suns are a contender, no doubt. Along with about 6 other teams. This should be a nice addition to their team. Rose can shoot and is very versatile, the two keys to the Suns program.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-08-2006, 06:31 PM
if james jones get pushed out the rotation, i believe his contract expires end of this season or the next, hook him up with the spurs....

:devil NO! :lol He needs to come to the Nuggets :ihit :fro

At the moment id like to see the Nuggets give up Evans for him coz Reggie isn't doing squat on the bench :pctoss

T Park
11-08-2006, 07:28 PM
Nuggets give up Evans for him coz Reggie isn't doing squat on the bench

OUTRAGEOUS

Hes an all star, just ask the whining aholes around here from this past summer.

Obstructed_View
11-08-2006, 08:32 PM
Thats like saying

"If Spurs were a contender they wouldn't of signed Mike Finley"
Yes, because Michael Finley has been me-first locker room poison over his career. :rolleyes

Suns have the most talented roster in the NBA
OMFG. Put the fucking crack pipe down, dude. They don't even have the most talented roster in their own division.

to say they aren't a contender is foolish, They are stacked top to bottom...they may not look great now but they still have a great team.
You are entitled to your opinion, and I think you are wrong. They have some good players and two great players, one of whom is 34 and will probably top his career high in minutes (set last year) this season, the other coming off major surgury to his knee and who is a huge question mark.

had they not gotten hurt last year they likely would of won it all..So does that mean that what they do suddenly doesn't count? They aren't likely to be completely healthy this year either, which is just another factor in my prediction.

If suns aren't a contender..neither are the mavs.Yeah, okay. I hate the Mavs more than probably anybody else on this board and I won't even say that. :lol