PDA

View Full Version : Big Victory for Moderate GOP Senators.

RandomGuy
11-08-2006, 11:17 AM
With the house in democratic hands, and the Senate pretty much split, if the Dems want to pass anything, they will have to get by the moderate GOP senators.

This increases the power of moderate voices in the GOP power structure markedly.

:clap

I can only hope that this is the first step away from the radicalism for the GOP.

DarkReign
11-08-2006, 11:18 AM
And another step away from extremism in the Democratic party as well.

No one party should have both Congress and WH. It has rarely worked if ever.

11-08-2006, 11:21 AM
The above being said, over the next two years, do you see the GOP moving away from the more radical fringe that seemed to take over in recent years, or the moderate Republicans splitting from the party (Perhaps forming a new party? I know, that's a reach.)?

RandomGuy
11-08-2006, 12:04 PM
The above being said, over the next two years, do you see the GOP moving away from the more radical fringe that seemed to take over in recent years, or the moderate Republicans splitting from the party (Perhaps forming a new party? I know, that's a reach.)?

I think the GOP will move away from the radical fringe. I "hope" would be a better word.

Either way they have lost my vote for a long long time. I dislike partisan hacks on both ends, but people like Xray and Yoni that inhabit the right seem too radical to ever comprimise on powersharing. People like them will be as much of a force as ever.

101A
11-08-2006, 12:13 PM
The moderate Senators up for re-election lost; even Chafee in RI; the MOST moderate of Senators, and very popular, lost. The Northeast is becoming more blue, the South is solid red; Tennesee, ultimately, held on.

Not the kind of split compromise and moderation, generally, are made of.

I can hope Pelosi will be above that, and will work for a bi-partisan agenda - but that doesn't play to her leanings, nor her base. The dems have shown the recipe; you want power, you stay united; by compromising you embolden and empower the majority party; by creating gridlock and noise, ultimately, the party in power will catch the heat.

I don't think it bodes well, frankly.

101A
11-08-2006, 12:15 PM
I think the GOP will move away from the radical fringe.

You mean the way the Dems did by making Pelosi the Minority Leader?

101A
11-08-2006, 12:15 PM
I dislike partisan hacks on both ends, but people like Xray and Yoni that inhabit the right seem too radical to ever comprimise on powersharing. People like them will be as much of a force as ever.

Yoni voted Libertarian.

boutons_
11-08-2006, 12:16 PM
"will work for a bi-partisan agenda"

you mean like the Repugs have for the past 12 years. :lol

You're all for compromise and cooperation when the its only the other side compromising and co-operating with your no-compromise/no-co-op side.

101A
11-08-2006, 12:19 PM
"will work for a bi-partisan agenda"

you mean like the Repugs have for the past 12 years. :lol

You're all for compromise and cooperation when the its only the other side compromising and co-operating with your no-compromise/no-co-op side.

Who are you talking to?

I never made the argument the Republican were big on compromise; nor did I say I wanted them to be.

RG said he hoped the Republicans would be, I suggested, if they had learned anything from the Dems, and want personal power more than they want to get things done (which all politicians do), they won't.

Bob Lanier
11-08-2006, 01:30 PM
Which ones? Snowe? Collins? Smith? Specter? Lieberman? Care to name any others? (Don't even think of calling John McCain anything but an archconservative)

Pelosi the Minority Leader [is a sign that the Democrats are radical]
:lol And this is why American politics are so fascinating.