PDA

View Full Version : Could an Independent win the Presidency in 08?

whottt
11-08-2006, 01:37 PM
Let's face it...regardless of what party loyalists think...

Giulianni, McCain, Clark...are about as much straight party candidates as NBADan is sane.

I am just wondering if the time is right for a candidate to attempt this since all the best candidates from the two parties don't truly fit the party platform.

I an not real huge on McCain but he's definitely not a straight conservative.

Giulianni is only a conservative when it comes to crime(and I am expecting foreign policy as well)...

Clark is only a liberal on domestic policy(if even that)...

These guys are not traditional strict party candidates but they do all happen to be IMO, the leading candidates in 08.

To those of you that are leaning towards voting for any of these guys...

Would you vote for them if they ran as an Independent?

It might be the best thing for the country seeing as how running as an Independen would allow them to dump the stupider stances of the two parties and keep the better aspects of them...

ChumpDumper
11-08-2006, 01:40 PM
If the choice is one of those guys you mentioned and the hacks both parties are bound to nominate, sure.

Bob Lanier
11-08-2006, 01:41 PM
Short answer: No, of course they couldn't win.

MannyIsGod
11-08-2006, 01:41 PM
I don't see any excitement being generated over Clark or McCain. Rudy? I don't know.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2006, 01:44 PM
If he could live down the UN speech, Colin Powell would be the guy.

whottt
11-08-2006, 01:47 PM
I don't see any excitement being generated over Clark or McCain. Rudy? I don't know.

Clark IMO is the best candidate...he's just not a politician...

If he gets out there, gets Michael Moore off his nuts, and is active he emerges as the leading candidate...even though he might not be the most favored Democrat.

ChumpDumper
11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
I'd say that Clark is currently the most electable Democrat, I'm not sure he could take many votes away from either party in a general elaction as an independent. Not enough name recognition as opposed to Powell or Giulianni

MannyIsGod
11-08-2006, 01:51 PM
Collin Powell would easil win even after the UN speech. That speech is widely considered something he was used for, not that he supported.

Of course Powell would never run, so thats moot.

Also, the only way a true indepedent will win is if they are independently wealthy ie Ross Perot because there is no way any other means will generate enough money to compete with the 2 party machine.

clambake
11-08-2006, 01:53 PM
Forget McCain. He's a fair weather friend and bends easily under pressure. He would be a disaster.

johnsmith
11-08-2006, 01:56 PM
Forget McCain. He's a fair weather friend and bends easily under pressure. He would be a disaster.

So was Kerry and he almost won in 2004.

whottt
11-08-2006, 01:58 PM
Kerry didn't almost win because he was liked...he almost won because W is just about the most unlikeable politician in history....

W won because Kerry is the most unlikeable candidate in history. Ted Kennedy, Michael Dukakis, and Pat Robertson excluded...

johnsmith
11-08-2006, 02:03 PM
Kerry didn't almost win because he was liked...he almost won because W is just about the most unlikeable politician in history....

W won because Kerry is the most unlikeable candidate in history. Ted Kennedy, Michael Dukakis, and Pat Robertson excluded...

I meant Kerry almost won even being "fair weather".

whottt
11-08-2006, 02:05 PM
My bad...good point.

101A
11-08-2006, 02:14 PM
Lieberman is the shining example right now.

Couldn't win the primary; but won the general election.

The country would vote moderate; but the parties won't nominate one for President - Lieberman had the name, the history, and most importantly, the $$$$ to win at the state level; CAN'T happen at the national, unless a billionaire just takes it upon himself to run (ala Perot - who could of possibly done something if he hadn't gone all "black helicopter" crazy)

A serious, funded, independent candidate would get emasculated by the dems and republicans; just too much of a risk to let that camel get its nose in the door.

DarkReign
11-08-2006, 02:21 PM
An independant will never win the Presidency. Ever.

whottt
11-08-2006, 03:54 PM
A serious, funded, independent candidate would get emasculated by the dems and republicans; .

You mean like the Republicans tried to do to Clinton? And the Democrats tried to do to Reagan? And W for that matter.

I think it could definitely happen...even without major financing if the candidates name was well known.

Bob Lanier
11-08-2006, 03:57 PM
No, that's pretty much the opposite of what he means.

JoeChalupa
11-08-2006, 04:24 PM
McCain - Lieberman....yeah, that's the ticket.

xrayzebra
11-08-2006, 04:41 PM
Folks, Hillary in 08. That is my early prediction. The stage is set. The
characters are all in place. There is no one who has the capability to
energize the country. Where-o-where are the leaders. I see none.
Liberman, maybe. Let's see if he holds up as an independent or as an old
fashion Democrat. Either one I could live with.

101A
11-08-2006, 04:43 PM
Hillary... I could live with.

:yield

xrayzebra
11-08-2006, 04:57 PM
:yield

No I meant Libermann as an Independent or old fashion Democrat....
But you got me on my sentence structure....
:lol

But I may have to live with Hillary, like it or not...... :madrun

Zunni
11-08-2006, 10:43 PM
There has only been one independent candidate in my lifetime who has even gotten electoral votes: George Wallace in 1968, running on the "I hate ######s" platform. He took a handful of states in the deep south, Al, Ms, Ar, Ga, La.

Guru of Nothing
11-08-2006, 11:40 PM
Let's see if he holds up as an independent or as an old
fashion Democrat.

The ONE time you eschew dimmocrap, you frame it within the context of "old-fashioned Democrat." . .. you even capitalized "Democrat."

Is you is, or is you is not a Republican? ...

http://segpatinqueux.free.fr/images/obroth6.jpg