PDA

View Full Version : Melo Donates To Syracuse; Sprewell Has No Interest In a Comeback

Mr.Bottomtooth
11-08-2006, 01:40 PM
Orange gets Melo's green

By Aaron J. Lopez, Rocky Mountain News
November 8, 2006
Wearing a painfully bright orange Syracuse hat, Carmelo Anthony spoke Tuesday about giving his former school an eye-catching amount of green.
Anthony, who led Syracuse to the 2003 national title, has committed $3 million to help fund a new practice facility for the men's and women's basketball programs.

The donation represents 20 to 25 percent of the facility's estimated $12 million to $15 million cost.

"This is a legacy right here," said Anthony, whose 2006-07 salary with the Nuggets is $4.69 million. "I don't think there's an active player right now who's doing something like this. This is going to be for the next 100 years. You go to Syracuse, you're going to see the Melo Center or something like that."

The donation is believed to be the largest by a current professional athlete to his former school. Former NBA guard Steve Smith gave Michigan State $2.5 million in 1997 to fund the Clara Bell Smith Student-Athlete Academic Center.

The Syracuse building will carry Anthony's name and could open as soon as 2008. It will feature two practice courts, a training room, a weight room and offices for the men's and women's programs.

"For him to do this is really a little bit mind-boggling to me," Syracuse coach Jim Boeheim said. "He gave us more than we could ever ask of him."

Boeheim broached the subject of a donation while he and Anthony were with Team USA at the FIBA World Championship this summer. The conversation came just weeks after Anthony signed a five-year, $79 million contract extension that begins in 2007-08.

"When you look at the number, people be like, 'Wow, he's really got that much money,' but it's deeper than the money," Anthony said. "It's just another way that I can give back."

In addition to having his own building, Anthony will be honored when his No. 15 jersey is retired by Syracuse in the near future.

Syracuse only recently began retiring numbers, and the current list includes Derrick Coleman, Sherman Douglas and Pearl Washington.

"(Anthony's number will) be retired," Boeheim said. "He'll be right along the list pretty soon."

Anthony averaged 22.2 points and 10.0 rebounds in his one season at Syracuse. He was named Most Outstanding Player of the Final Four after helping Boeheim capture his first national title.

"I wanted one name on (the new building)," Boeheim said. "The name to me is special because of the national championship and the person who helped us win it. He was only there one year, but it feels like more."

CITIZEN NAJERA? Nuggets forward Eduardo Najera is a step closer to becoming an American citizen after receiving a green card that gives him permanent U.S. residency.

Najera, the only Mexican-born player in the NBA, spent the past few days in Edmond, Okla., finalizing the legal status he has been seeking for the past 18 months.

His wife Jennifer and their two children are U.S. citizens, and Najera can apply for citizenship in three years.

"I am Mexican American just because of the fact that I've lived here for half my life," said Najera, who attended the University of Oklahoma.

"I have a lot of respect for this country, and I've earned everything that I've got here. We've got better opportunities in the U.S. It's a positive thing for any of us to become a citizen."

Najera said he wants to make sure he can still play for the Mexican national team if he becomes an American citizen.

ETC.: Kenyon Martin was limited in practice Tuesday because of tightness in his right calf but is expected to play tonight against the New York Knicks . . . Marcus Camby said former Knicks teammate Latrell Sprewell told him this summer that he has no desire to return to the NBA. Sprewell sat out all last season after turning down a multiyear contract offer from Minnesota.

JamStone
11-08-2006, 02:35 PM
Translation: Spree has no desire to play for the veteran's minimum because he's still too proud to admit he's a dumbass for walking away from $21 million.