11-08-2006, 10:40 PM
please sign up at the front desk

:smokin :smokin

my2sons
11-08-2006, 10:42 PM
how do these haters like their crow

IceColdBrewski
11-08-2006, 10:44 PM
Dude was a fucking stud tonight. No doubt about it.

Horry For 3!
11-08-2006, 10:49 PM
11-11 22 pts 10 rebs 2 asts 1 stl 1 blk 2 tos

:tu

angel_luv
Oberto was awesome- someone had his Wheaties this morning. :)

METALMiKE
Sign me up.

PM5K
Amen...

Amuseddaysleeper
11-08-2006, 10:51 PM
If you told me to predict what the best NBA game of Oberto's life would be I never would've predicted this

Not only was he hitting inside shots, played great defense and his pass to TD for the 3 point play to have us up 101-97 might've been the best play of the game

Also, very smart of him to foul Raja who had virtually an open lane to the basket

SuperManu!!!
11-08-2006, 10:53 PM
Praise the lord....and he saw it was good!

RC's Boss
11-08-2006, 10:54 PM
Pop's going to test him for performance enhancers tomorrow

Texas_Ranger
11-08-2006, 10:56 PM
Oberto`s game of the career.

TDMVPDPOY
11-08-2006, 10:58 PM
trade bait? :D

SilverPlayer
11-08-2006, 10:58 PM
If you told me to predict what the best NBA game of Oberto's life would be I never would've predicted this

Not only was he hitting inside shots, played great defense and his pass to TD for the 3 point play to have us up 101-97 might've been the best play of the game

Also, very smart of him to foul Raja who had virtually an open lane to the basket

I wish he had fouled him a split second earlier with the foul we still had to give, but it was still better than an uncontested layup.

Great job overall by Fabs.

ducks
11-08-2006, 11:00 PM
he bailed out his felllow country man shooting tonight

ashbeeigh
11-08-2006, 11:01 PM
This was like his third career game. The man will be a menace to society once the word gets out if he keeps it up.

Nero
11-08-2006, 11:02 PM
trade bait? :D
Exactly, trade him now. Most of the L is too dumb to realize that he made all his baskets, but one, from the exact same spot (a foot to the right of the basket) and was left wide open there all night. The Suns are retarded.

themvp
He just must stay constisent for a while now.

Phenomanul
He deserves extra credit in timvp's grading system.... a 110.

baseline bum
11-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Man, Phoenix gave Oberto absolutely no respect. Almost all of those shots were wide open layups 2 feet from the basket. I know Fabricio is no Hakeem Olajuwon, but damn... anyone who's in the NBA is an incredible basketball player, and you just can't skip playing D on anyone (unless its Hedo in May).

ShoogarBear
11-08-2006, 11:03 PM
Why not? It was against the same team that Nazr had the best game of his life.

Aggie Hoopsfan
11-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Eh, Nazr went for 30 and 15 against them.

Samr
11-08-2006, 11:05 PM
Funny that Nazr is on tv now. Good for a direct comparison.

makedamnsure
11-08-2006, 11:09 PM
not sure I'll be signing up but sounds like he had one HECK of a game

Cherry
11-08-2006, 11:10 PM
please sign up at the front desk

:smokin :smokin

Sign me up :princess

1Parker1
11-08-2006, 11:15 PM
Question: Is the Church of Oberto converters from the formerly known Church of Manu or the Church of Elson? :lol

whottt
11-08-2006, 11:19 PM
Man, I know Fabricio is no Hakeem Olajuwon, but damn

Hater.

Did you ever see Hakeem go 11-11?

Thought not.

Amuseddaysleeper
11-08-2006, 11:58 PM
Why not? It was against the same team that Nazr had the best game of his life.

yeah but Oberto was actually a solid play maker in this game and I guess what I'm saying is that I never knew he had this much potential, considering how lost he normally looks out there

I mean 11-11 is staggering

as for silverplayer asking for oberto to foul raja a bit earlier to avoid the shooting foul, I completely see where you're coming from, but really, it worked out beautifully, b/c if phoenix had another chance to set up a last second shot, it coulda been nash hitting the game winner with a left hand bank shot or us being done in by another raja jumper

leemajors
11-08-2006, 11:59 PM
he had a couple very nice dishes to tim in the post too, very good game overall - and he kept out of foul trouble.

Axl Van Dam
11-09-2006, 12:03 AM
Man, Phoenix gave Oberto absolutely no respect. Almost all of those shots were wide open layups 2 feet from the basket. I know Fabricio is no Hakeem Olajuwon, but damn... anyone who's in the NBA is an incredible basketball player, and you just can't skip playing D on anyone (unless its Hedo in May).

:danceclub Phoenix will never learn to play defense until Mike D' Antoni gets sacked. Calling Larry Brown....................... :danceclub

mikejones99
11-09-2006, 12:07 AM
Oberto is not as good as Hedo yet, but gaining fast.

ShoogarBear
11-09-2006, 12:13 AM
Oberto is not as good as Hedo yet, but gaining fast.:lmao

jn77
11-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Sign me up! I am a believer!! He looked awesome tonight!

Hard to bielive he was riding the pine last season.

boutons_
11-09-2006, 12:16 AM
"Oberto is not as good as Hedo yet, but gaining fast."

Hedo hit the game-winning 3G from the corner Wed night with 1 sec remaining.

duncanchick21
11-09-2006, 12:41 AM
amen to oberto!!! he was fucking awesome in the game tonight!!!

xamila rey
11-09-2006, 12:57 AM
what i like about Oberto is not only that he scored tonight
he also played very smart ball
nice passing, good defense.
it looks like we finally got a nice center!

SenorSpur
11-09-2006, 01:18 AM
I come correct. I've been very one whose been very critical of Oberto. Even to the point of wondering if he fit in on this team.

Today, I come to praise Oberto - not to bury him. He's a tough, solid, smart basketball player who does a lot of "dirty work". It seems as though he was open underneath the basket all night.

11-11? Absolutely sick! I wonder if that's a Spurs record? What a pass that was to a cutting Tim Duncan.

All I can say is Oboy, Oberto!

I humbly submit at the alter of the Church of Oberto.

Kori Ellis
11-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Not only was he 11-for-11 but he was really, really good defensively. :wow

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-09-2006, 01:19 AM
Even if it was against the Suns, you have to give Oberto credit. He finished all his shots, and made really smart plays for the team. Nice passes to Tim. The smart foul. Key Offensive Tip Out for the second chance points, during the fourth quarter and overtime. He's a good team player and I hope he keeps it up.

What he can provide at the 5 is good for the team, because it reminds me how he played for the Argentinian team, except it's working for the Spurs.

Notorious H.O.P.
11-09-2006, 01:26 AM
Oberto is the master of the garbage bucket and credit goes to him for being smart enough to hang around the basket as much as he did (which appears to be a lost art in the NBA these days). Oberto is about the hustle and IQ which helps mask some of his deficiencies and physical limitations.

As much as we'd like an All-Star center, they don't go on trees and we simply need an effort guy who can knock down enough shots to keep the defense honest and make some smart plays and Oberto is showing he is capable of that.

But the defensive effort definitely surprised and I think he just earned himself a few more games as the starter.

Das Texan
11-09-2006, 01:27 AM
Oberto did a really, really great job tonight.

The only thing I saw, and I missed the first little chunk of the game, was that play at the end of regulation, he was slow on his rotation and probably should have fouled Bell out on the perimeter since I am almost positive we had a foul to give.

other than that, he was damn, damn good tonight.

timvp
11-09-2006, 01:30 AM
The 11-for-11 was impressive, but big men destroy the Suns offensively all the time. Players like Kwame Brown, Andrew Bynum and Nazr Mohammed look like superstars against them.

What I liked most was Oberto's defense. When he switched off onto Nash, he did a great job staying in front of him. Duncan, on the other hand, was horrible guarding Nash on the switches tonight. Oberto is never going to be a shot blocker, but if he can play good team defense, the Spurs should be okay.

And his passing was nice.

As a person who has been asking for Oberto to be the Spurs' starting center since before the Spurs signed him, it's nice to see him play this well.

:smokin

FuzzyLumpkins
11-09-2006, 01:37 AM

In the second half he was killing them when he doubled off of them but in the firdt half he hit about 3 15-footers.

The 10 boards were from right next to the basket too. They not count as much?

dav4463
11-09-2006, 01:53 AM
Nazr Mohammed did have his career best game against the Suns last year and then disappeared the rest of the season.

ManuTim_best of Fwiendz
11-09-2006, 02:16 AM
Nazr Mohammed did have his career best game against the Suns last year and then disappeared the rest of the season.
The difference is Nazr did it with his athleticism.

Oberto's game tonight, might be an indication he understands the defensive schemes better than Nazr ever could, and has a higher IQ than him.

He has shown a lot of hustle, but all we're asking from him is to be a solid center and if he avoids fumbling on off-the-ball-offense...with Elson in tandem, we're definitely having a potential upside at the 5 spot compared to last year.

Sense
11-09-2006, 02:45 AM
undersized big men against PHX=gold everytime..

It's one game... I wanna c more.

MaNuMaNiAc
11-09-2006, 03:24 AM
Question: Is the Church of Oberto converters from the formerly known Church of Manu or the Church of Elson? :lolFormerly known Chruch of Manu?? The Church of Manu is still alive heretic! http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/smilol.gif

carina_gino20
11-09-2006, 04:09 AM
pop says:

http://img215.imageshack.us/img215/3741/popls21up1.jpg

RuffnReadyOzStyle
11-09-2006, 05:16 AM

:lol Oh... :depressed

And he's right about the layups. There were lots of em. Uncontested. Hell, I could make 10 in a row no sweat. But in general he did play very well.

The only guy I can remember who predicted this from Oberto is #1elliotfan... as far as I'm concerned, let's see how he's doing in 20 games. The early signs are far more promising than I thought they'd be though.

NuGGeTs-FaN
11-09-2006, 05:28 AM
the good thing about having a center rotation with 2 solid guys (soon to be 3 im sure) is that the majority of the time there will likely be one of three scenarios.

1. The starter goes well and gets alot of minutes

2. The backup plays well and gets alot of minutes

3. Both guys play ok games and do enough at the 5 spot to help the team win

Of course there is a 4th option where they both totally suck but i reckon that will be only a minority.

pjjrfan
11-09-2006, 06:36 AM
More than the points, Oberto did some great things last night. He made passes, he got key rebounds, he tipped balls that led to offensive rebounds, he played off the Suns defense taking advantage of their mistakes, and the guy set some good picks. And at the end ran that play with Tim that led to all kinds of problems for the suns. If he can keep doing this things while taking advantage of what the defenses give him, he will be a great asset for this team.

AFE7FATMAN
11-09-2006, 06:45 AM
He really showed emotion. Glad he didn't get called for a T :lol
http://espn-ak.starwave.com/photo/2006/1108/nba_a_oberto_412.jpg

samikeyp
11-09-2006, 07:15 AM
I'm in.

Martin R
11-09-2006, 07:25 AM
I'm glad for Fabricio, he is a REALLY GREAT person. A family guy. Very funny.

I have one anecdote to tell about him.

He once told a journalist that he always tries to reserve his plain seat as close to Manu's as possible.
When the journalist asked im why is that, adding if it was because he was a fan of him, he answered :
"No, not because I'm a fan, it's just because Manu is a lucky man and if the plane crashes, he will be one of the survivor for sure and I want to be the other one!"

dg7md
11-09-2006, 07:42 AM
I'm a big, big fan of Oberto, love the guy, especially the hair, awesome look for him. I really hope he continues to produce like this, with Elson off the bench as the sixth man? Yeah, I know Barry/Finley are the swing spot sixth man, seemingly rotating between if they are hot/cold or not, but having a guy like Elson off the bench will be as impacting as Ginobili in 02-03, he has a lot of motivation and a real fire in him to stop the plagues from last year such as rebounding and interior defense.

So that gives two center dimensions, Oberto is a no frills, basic player, with great passing and knowledge of the game, while Elson is a brute who will slam it down, swat shots, it will be an amazing 1-2 punch, and even greater once Butler shines.

I had doubts about this team this year but really, they are built to last. With this core I can see them having chances to win for the next 2 years if not more, and more after that due to the production of Butler and poise of Parker. Parker in 3 years could be a candidate for top NBA player!

MaNuMaNiAc
11-09-2006, 07:57 AM
wow... a lot of people in here are going to bum hard when Oberto returns to his usual self during the next couple of games. If you think Oberto has it in him to produce like tonight on a regular basis... pff.

Personally, I'll be glad if Oberto averages enough rebounds to get us out of this rebounding slump we've been in since the season started. This game doesn't really show much, other than what baseline bum was saying about the Suns not really bothering to guard him well.

Having said that no 22/10 on 11 for 11 night should go without its props! :tu

ZStomp
11-09-2006, 07:58 AM
No thanks. It was just one game.

diego
11-09-2006, 08:37 AM
its unfair to expect a perfect game like this from oberto everyday. his averages for the season are looking decent and they will probably continue to improve, but hes not going to average a double double.

but its also weak to say that anybody could have had that game. if he was open, its because he got himself open and knew how to use the space tim makes. He hit the jumper when he had to and he played decent team D.

the guys saying they could play center against the suns probably dont have perfect shooting nights playing horse in their driveway

spurs_in_7
11-09-2006, 11:36 AM
oberto >> elson (seriously)

Lebowski Brickowski
11-09-2006, 11:54 AM
Nazr, too, tied career high vs. Phoenix last year. He had 30, i think.

Don't get me wrong, I like Fab waaaaay better than brick-fisted Nazr. I just don't expect double doubles from him against Houston, Dallas, Claeveland, etc..

edit....
Sorry -- Next time I will read the whole thread.

Notorious H.O.P.
11-09-2006, 12:12 PM
As a person who has been asking for Oberto to be the Spurs' starting center since before the Spurs signed him, it's nice to see him play this well.

I seem to recall most references about Oberto coming on board and being the starting center were more an issue of Holt's cheapness as opposed to Oberto's skills.

SAGambler
11-09-2006, 12:14 PM
Two points about Oberto.
First I am impressed in how quick he is to get that ball back up on offensive rebounds or passes to him. No messing around with faking......just up and in....quickly.

Secondly....he doesn't buy into pump fakes....leave his feet and get in trouble....He stays put.

I think he is comfortable in the system now, and we are going to see some good things from him night in and night out. He seems solid on defense, and somehow seems to be able to get to the right spot at the right time, almost every play.

I believe Oberto and Elson are going to give us much more than we ever got out of Nazr and Rasho last year.

ShoogarBear
11-09-2006, 12:17 PM

:smokinThe way ShoogarBear recalls it, timvp was predicting that Oberto would be starting because then Peter Holt would have an easy excuse for both getting rid of Rasho and not re-signing Nazr.

ShoogarBear thinks that timvp's point was that Holt Cat and Pop would go so far as to play lesser talent in order to save Money.

bdictjames
11-09-2006, 12:20 PM
Duncan's double-teamed, and Oberto's getting open shots. Nice rebounding too

ShoogarBear
11-09-2006, 12:21 PM
I seem to recall most references about Oberto coming on board and being the starting center were more an issue of Holt's cheapness as opposed to Oberto's skills.:pctoss

After I spent all that time on my reply.

Notorious H.O.P.
11-09-2006, 12:37 PM
:pctoss

Yeah, but you did all the fancy bold text, emoticons and re-referenced timvp on the call out. I think it drove the point home even harder.

I need to take Effective Post Formatting 101 :oink (Damn! Improper use of emoticon.)

LilMissSPURfect
11-09-2006, 12:57 PM
Nice Job FABS keep up the good WORK!!!!!!!!

wildbill2u
11-09-2006, 01:13 PM
:hungry: If the guy is smart enough and has enough court sense to get open for uncontested layups when TD is double teamed, more power to him.

That was an art that Rasho never mastered. He'd be open but couldn't react and put the ball into the hoop with a quick move to the basket. As for Nazr, he'd be open but either fumbled the pass or triple-pumped until the defense could recover.

The important thing this shows is that teams will now have to pay for doubling on TD. That will make TD even better this year.

TD and Oberto will love playing pitch, catch and score with each other.:hungry:

SAGambler
11-09-2006, 02:53 PM
The important thing this shows is that teams will now have to pay for doubling on TD. That will make TD even better this year.

Yeah, if those two can continue the pitch and catch and up and in on double teams, Tim is going to start having a much easier time on the court.

Also if Tony stays consistent on threes, that will change the way teams have to guard him also, which will also take some pressure off Tim.

So far, I'm liking the way this team is shaping up.

gameFACE
11-09-2006, 03:11 PM
Good game for El Fabricio! He has to do this again or i'm taking my money back from the collection plate.

timvp
11-09-2006, 04:32 PM
I'm glad for Fabricio, he is a REALLY GREAT person. A family guy. Very funny.

I have one anecdote to tell about him.

He once told a journalist that he always tries to reserve his plain seat as close to Manu's as possible.
When the journalist asked im why is that, adding if it was because he was a fan of him, he answered :
"No, not because I'm a fan, it's just because Manu is a lucky man and if the plane crashes, he will be one of the survivor for sure and I want to be the other one!"

Actually that was Pepe Sanchez who said that.

timvp
11-09-2006, 04:52 PM
The way ShoogarBear recalls it, timvp was predicting that Oberto would be starting because then Peter Holt would have an easy excuse for both getting rid of Rasho and not re-signing Nazr.

ShoogarBear thinks that timvp's point was that Holt Cat and Pop would go so far as to play lesser talent in order to save Money.

:lol

I've always liked Oberto since I first saw him play with the Argentina NT back in 1998. On the international stage, he's always been a great defender, passer and a pretty decent rebounder.

It's true that I thought the long range financial plans would play a part in Oberto starting, but I always liked him as a basketball player. He sucked last year (and in the first couple games this year) and I said as much. But Andres Nocioni was pretty horrible in his first year and he turned into a force in his second season. Argentines are weird like that.

I won't take full credit calling Oberto starting but I know I've had his back more than even most Argentines on this board.

1Parker1
11-09-2006, 05:52 PM
The way ShoogarBear recalls it, timvp was predicting that Oberto would be starting because then Peter Holt would have an easy excuse for both getting rid of Rasho and not re-signing Nazr.

Athenea
11-09-2006, 05:53 PM
:pctoss

:dramaquee

ShoogarBear
11-09-2006, 06:02 PM
Is that AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEE EEEEEEEEENNNNNNNEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!! !!
??

spurster
11-09-2006, 06:48 PM
Ave Oberto!

Martin R
11-10-2006, 08:20 AM
guess who is the NBA leader in FG % ???

http://www.nba.com/statistics/index.html

Martin R
11-10-2006, 08:22 AM
Actually that was Pepe Sanchez who said that.

no, he wasn't. It was Oberto. I have it on tape.

boutons_
11-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Fabricio is NBA first in FG% with 88% (for players who have more than one FGM/FGA).

Brent is next Spur with 65%

Tony's more numerous jump shots this season and his low %age of made layups has him down to 52.4%.

Tim is next at 52% which is his highest since his rookie season.

joeyjfive
11-10-2006, 11:46 AM
I didnt relize til this game that Oberto had excellent hands around the basket, I mean he has some of the best I've ever seen.

Mr. Body
11-10-2006, 11:57 AM
Fabricio is NBA first in FG% with 88% (for players who have more than one FGM/FGA).

Brent is next Spur with 65%

Tony's more numerous jump shots this season and his low %age of made layups has him down to 52.4%.

Tim is next at 52% which is his highest since his rookie season.

Those three guys are picking up the slack for most the rest of the team.