View Full Version : MySA: Buck Harvey: Perfect next to Duncan: Grunge rocks

carina_gino20
11-09-2006, 06:47 AM
Buck Harvey: Perfect next to Duncan: Grunge rocks

Web Posted: 11/09/2006 12:20 AM CST

San Antonio Express-News

The guys at ESPN came to see Amare.

They got Fab, instead.

They got a guy with Steve Nash's old haircut playing David Robinson's old position. They got The Other Argentine of the Spurs, as well as someone other than the Argentine the Spurs were expected to sign a year ago.

Luis Scola was supposed to be the perfect addition.

Fabricio Oberto was, instead, perfect. He was perfect from the field, setting a franchise record, and he was perfect for a night next to Tim Duncan. Oberto set picks and grabbed double-digit rebounds and threw a pass that should have been enough in regulation.

Pressed to play overtime — as well as more minutes than he ever has in San Antonio — Oberto came up with the kind of play that is, well, perfect for him.

Has he ever played the guitar this well?

"Never," said Brent Barry, Oberto's six-string partner.

Barry says they "struggle to play chords," which is why their music has been a running joke in the locker room. The two have yet to strum together this season, though they played enough last year.

Sean Marks, now with the Suns, says that. Asked the genre of music they play, Marks deadpanned, "Work in progress." :lol

Oberto's game has gone through the same. He watched most of last season, playing less than 500 minutes.

But those who had seen him play professionally in Spain and with the Argentina national team knew something was there, and Manu Ginobili always believed. He said privately, after the Spurs signed Oberto, his friend would be better than Nazr Mohammed. :nerd

Their salaries don't suggest that, nor do their appearances. Gregg Popovich repeated a recent line again Wednesday night, saying, "He's the ugliest, most productive player I've ever been around."

Marks heard that and laughed. He played against Oberto last season in practice and he understood what Popovich meant. "He's like Manu," said Marks, "because he sees the game a different way. He knows where to go and how to play. That goes a long way in any league."

That goes a long way for the Spurs, who have thus far seen versatility and production from both Oberto and Francisco Elson this season. Wednesday night, with so many others struggling, the Spurs needed all of it.

Oberto's perfect shooting was just part of it. He moved well in space, and he seemingly caught everything he touched. Asked about this talent, he came back with his own facetious question.

"You think from playing the guitar?" he asked.

That's Fab, who might be the best-liked Spur. He was always a favorite of the Argentina media, and it's a quality that helps a locker room, too.

The personality plays well on the court, too. He does the dirty work, setting picks and rebounding, and that's an ideal complement for Duncan.

He's not a shotblocker, and he looks closer to 6-foot-8 than his 6-foot-10 listed height. But he also started on Amare Stoudemire, his physical opposite, and competed.

It's his sense of the game, however, that separates him from others, and a play with about 20 seconds left in regulation highlighted that. Then, with the Spurs ahead by a point, Ginobili swung him the ball. As defenders closed, he saw the floor as Marks says he does, and threw a simple yet slick pass to Duncan for a three-point play.

Should he and Ginobili make Duncan an honorary Argentine? "We could get him a passport," Oberto said.

An accurate free-throw stroke would be a better gift. Duncan followed by missing two. Had Raja Bell not missed one himself with 1.5 seconds left, the Spurs would have lost.

Oberto instead got his 11th basket without a miss in overtime. But it was another play in OT that said more about him, and how he can ultimately help the Spurs, and why he can be perfect at times for this team. Then Duncan missed, and Oberto read the bounce and worked to get in position.

With fingers that play a guitar — with a style ESPN would rather not highlight — Oberto swatted the ball to a teammate.

http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/columnists/bharvey/stories/MYSA110906.01C.COL.BKNharvey.spurs.364ec42.html :lol :nerd

dougp
11-09-2006, 08:22 AM
I still think he'd be better coming off the bench as he did last year, but as #2 ... I think he'd provide the energy, and we can see what Elson could do starting.

thekingrobert
11-09-2006, 08:22 AM
lovely simply lovely

Joepa
11-09-2006, 08:39 AM
What a great game last night. It was awesome to see Fab have some success, because he's worked hard for it.

easjer
11-09-2006, 08:47 AM
I still think he'd be better coming off the bench as he did last year, but as #2 ... I think he'd provide the energy, and we can see what Elson could do starting.

I disagree. Elson had one good game and a couple of ok games. Oberto has earned his place. Additionally, I think Elson brings a much bigger spark off the bench than I think Obertomis capable of, by virtue of Elson's speed and agility.

Great article though - enjoyable read.

angel_luv
11-09-2006, 09:17 AM
Oberto was awesome. :) Nice article.

RobinsontoDuncan
11-09-2006, 10:03 AM
^^

Yeah but the problem is that Elson wasnt involved last night the way he should have been, now granted he didnt score, but the man had 6 rebounds in 6 minutes, against a team like the suns that will give up the offensive boards, a guy like that is more valuable than gold

easjer
11-09-2006, 10:05 AM
Look, I'd love to have Elson out there - for Horry. I agree that more time might have been beneficial, but I'd put him in Horry's place rather than Oberto's place.

wildbill2u
11-09-2006, 12:50 PM
I disagree. Some guys need minutes to prove what the eyes don't see--that the player is pretty damn productive on the court, especially with playing the team game.

Oberto is not going to stun you with physical ability, but it seems that in every game he has gotten significant minutes, his stats prove that he's getting the job done.

Elson will stun you with raw physical stuff at times, but look at the stats. He's the perfect guy to bring energy off the bench. I think he should have got more minutes than 6 last night though. He should get most of Horry's minutes.

boutons_
11-09-2006, 01:01 PM
"his sense of the game"

I'll take that any day over a more talented player with only a "sense of me".

Supergirl
11-09-2006, 01:39 PM
One of the great things about Oberto in our starting line up is it means all 5 starters are comfortable playing with each other, because Manu and Fabri are so comfortable together, and Parker, Bowen, Duncan, and Manu are all so comfortable together.

It makes for good chemistry. I think Fabri will wind up having a breakout season this year. He's got the same hustle and energy that Manu brings. I'm still glad we have Elson and Bonner for match ups, and I think Butler will be a real stud in 6 months to a year, but Fabri is solid.

Meanwhile, my big IF is whether our new addition will be able to replace Bowen in a year or two, as everyone is predicting. I hope...that's are biggest hole, really.

cornbread
11-09-2006, 02:45 PM
I also like Oberto starting. Elson is a good "spark" off the bench

Horry hasn't been too productive this season at all, at least yet.. And I'm wondering if he ever will be.... :wtf

Yeah he's looked pretty bad as of late. I hang my head everytime he fires off one of those medium range jumpers that usually bounce about 6 feet above the rim. I guess he's not here to get us through the regular season though.

CosmicCowboy
11-09-2006, 03:27 PM
I also like Oberto starting. Elson is a good "spark" off the bench

Horry hasn't been too productive this season at all, at least yet.. And I'm wondering if he ever will be.... :wtf

:lmao

Thats Robert Horry...he is on cruise control till April.

ChumpDumper
11-09-2006, 03:28 PM
No shit. Is this the first season you've seen Horry play basketball?

Kori Ellis
11-09-2006, 03:31 PM
^^

Yeah but the problem is that Elson wasnt involved last night the way he should have been, now granted he didnt score, but the man had 6 rebounds in 6 minutes, against a team like the suns that will give up the offensive boards, a guy like that is more valuable than gold

He missed his defensive rotations. In a couple games prior, he was pulled out for missing rotations.

That's what will continue to keep his minutes limited.

For as fabulous a Fabricio was offensively last night, I am not even sure going 11-for-11 isn't the most impressive thing he did, considering he was already shooting nearly 80% for the season. It was his defense. The Spurs switch a lot vs teams like Phoenix and he knew exactly what to do and did it.

Elson will catch up, but he's not there yet.

polandprzem
11-09-2006, 03:36 PM
:lmao

Thats Robert Horry...he is on cruise control till April.

And then he will be a monster just like in last playoffs

:rolleyes

TurkishTimDuncan
11-09-2006, 04:11 PM
We need to elson espically mavs match. Becouse last year oberto cant defance Dirk but Elson can defanse